New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Recruiting the Wizard optimizers.

Hey guys. So, I might be joining an ECL 7 high-power Campaign, where our DM has encouarged us to be munchkins.

I know the usual Batman rout, but here's the kicker: Instead of taking a level as Wizard, you can take a Feat/Caster/Skill Focus Level, yielding either 3 Feats, 2 Caster Levels or a lot of skillpoints.
    These levels, however, don't advance BB, saves, only gives con mod hp and int mod skillpoints.

Sources allowed are Wizards, no homebrew or 3rd party.

How would you build a 7th level Human Wizard, with the Focus Levels in mind?
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-11-21 at 10:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Recruiting the Wizard munchkins.

Caster levels or Spell levels? If the former, forget anything related to Focus Levels and keep your delicious 4th level spells. If the latter...1 level of Wizard and 6 levels of Focus gets you 7th level spells, with which you can simply decimate everything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Munchkinism != Optimization

The difference between an optimizer and a powergamer is that a powergamer thinks that the RPG is competitive and not cooperative. The difference between a munchkin and a powergamer is that a munchkin will cheat, use shady rule interpretations, and/or exploit things that were clearly meant to be errata'd or were already errata'd.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-11-21 at 09:56 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    Munchkinism != Optimization

The difference between an optimizer and a powergamer is that a powergamer thinks that the RPG is competitive and not cooperative. The difference between a munchkin and a powergamer is that a munchkin will cheat, use shady rule interpretations, and/or exploit things that were clearly meant to be errata'd or were already errata'd.
    Well, powergamer. Sorry for using the wrong term.
    I guess the correct way of phrasing Caster Focus Level is that it advances spells twice as fast as normal, so level 1 Wizard/level 1 Caster Focus (Wizard) would have the same spells known and spells per day as a third level Wizard, but saves / skills / feats as a level 1.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Default Re: Recruiting the Wizard optimizers.

Definitely take the alternate levels. This isn't even a question. Do it right and nothing can touch you. Like, literally. And even if you die, you'll just be back again next round.

Feel free to break the game in however many pieces you find fitting.

There are tons of ways to do so, even in just core.

Can you get access to things like shadowcraft mage and IoSV?

Can you take 10 levels in wizard (thereby getting 9th level spells), then go 10 in archivist (doing the same)?

Something makes me think that your DM doesn't know what he's asking for.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-21 at 10:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Take 6 alternates and 1 real. You'll be able to cast as a 13th level caster, which means you can start simulacrum shenanigans right now.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure I would go all caster levels, but doing even 4 caster/4wizard levels gives you a effective wizard level of 11 for spells, which means 6th level spells. At that point, it really starts to be rocket tag, and since you still count as a level 7 in terms of ECL, you can decimate everything.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah... 7th level spells at level 7 is ridiculous.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Ooh! Wizard 1/psion 2/cerebremancer, with early-entry shenananananigans. Then take ur-priest, archivist, and mystic theurge.

Make sure to take Practiced Spellcaster and Practiced Manifester.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-21 at 10:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

DM knows exactly what's coming for him, and he's optimizing encounters accordingly.
    1 Level Wizard and 6 levels of alternate will probably pop out something with Improved Invisibility and extremely long range. Only has to hit me for ~15 HP.

Edit: IotSV I think is go, Shadowmage is not. Neither is Incantrix.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-11-21 at 10:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, by far the best option seems to be Wizard 1/Focus Caster 6. Though once you reach 9th level spells, go full Incantatrix (if not allowed, Swiftblade seems fairly good to break action economy, or Dweomerkeeper for silliness). Also, get 18 Con; while 2.5 HP per level doesn't feel like much, giving it up means you really need crap for HP.

Dragonborn Lesser Tiefling would be a superb race; you lose the tasty racials of a Lesser Tiefling, but you get +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha. This would enable 20 Int & Con with rest going to Dex. That means you've got CL 13. Which means 7th level spells. You'll also early qualify for Craft Contingent Spell on level 6 to save your arse.

Then you need to make heavy use of Contingency, Contingent Spells, Greater Mirror Image and company to stay alive, and use stuff like Superior Resistance, Heart of X-spells and company to make sure you're either immune or can save against everything (oh, and Celerity is pretty good). False Life is an excellent spell too; Eternal Wand it if you ban Necromancy.

Oh yeah, and specialize in Conjuration, banning e.g. Enchantment and Necromancy (or if using Craft Contingent Spell, ban Evocation). Pick Abrupt Jaunt from PHBII; it's a very decent instantaneous defense. Pick up Obtain Familiar and have it use Wands or some such.

This leaves you with:
    4+5x7 = 39 HP. Some Con boosters can up that though. For the record, an average Fighter 7 has 57 HP (14 Con), so you aren't that horribly off.
    7x4+5x6 = 58 skill points. Pick up Concentration, Spellcraft, some Knowledges and maybe Tumble/UMD and call it a day.

+5 Fort
    +X Ref where X is your Dex
    +X Will (might want to get Keen Intellect to add Int to Will-saves given your lack of class-based boosts)

With Superior Resistance (level 6 spell), they're all +6. You can also get Conviction for additional +3 and maybe a Luckblade or some such (if you're way above average wealth) for +1 + a reroll. Of course, optimally you'll want to avoid rolling saves, but given mostly opposing casters force them, they can counteract your avoidance (though e.g. Battlemagic Perception can help a lot there). Contingent Energy Resistance should obviate the need for a save on a chunk of Ref-save targeting spells.

Stuff like Overland Flight, Phantom Steed and so on should make sure you're hard to reach and some Initiative enhancers should make you able to beat Archers' initiative into Wind Wall. Your offense should be the normal Wizard fare; make sure to pick up Quicken as you'll have spell levels to burn. And yeah, you'll want flaws to roll with it.

So yeah, make sure to use spells to stay alive and to bone the living out of everything that moves (or doesn't, for that matter). And go to town. Oh yeah, and immunities, invisibility and company are your friends.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-21 at 10:28 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah, I think Glyphstone has the right idea. Hard to beat level 7 spells (even if it means giving up on all feats)
    As a thought experiment, is there any way that someone not opting for level 7 spells can remain competitive with someone who does? Level 6 spells with 3 extra feats?
    Last edited by ocdscale; 2009-11-21 at 10:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Eldariel - Where's Dragonborn from? :/

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Narazil View Post
    Only has to hit me for ~15 HP.
    You'd only have 15 more hp if you took normal wizard levels, aka "not enough to make a difference".

15. - Top - End - #15

Eldariel - Where's Dragonborn from? :/
    Races of the Dragon. Lesser Tiefling is from Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ocdscale View Post
    Yeah, I think Glyphstone has the right idea. Hard to beat level 7 spells (even if it means giving up on all feats/skills)
    As a thought experiment, is there any way that someone not opting for level 7 spells can remain competitive with someone who does? Level 6 spells with 3 extra feats?
    You can if you optimize vs the uber-caster who otherwise doesn't.

Wizards are gods, if they choose to be. Infinite wishes by level 1. Legally.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thinks to self: (Have I started a trend with DMs allowing twinking?)
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2009-11-21 at 10:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

For amusing thought experiment, instead of a wizard, play a sorcerer.

Dragonwrought Loredrake kobold sorc 1/focused 6.

You have 15th level casting thanks to 1 + 6*2 (focused) + 2 (loredrake).

Go nuts with 8th level spells at level 8, next level you have 9th level spells and 19th level casting. Proceed to do whatever the hell you want with the remaining levels.

Actually, if you're not required to take the first level of the caster class (and you use this method), switch it out for say warblade 1 so that you get 12+ con hp at the first level which will buffer you as well as just taking normal caster levels.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-11-21 at 10:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Races of the Dragon. Lesser Tiefling is from Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Page of Races of the Dragon? Can't seem to find it.
    Edit: The Rebirth stuff?
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-11-21 at 10:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Page of Races of the Dragon? Can't seem to find it.
    Edit: The Rebirth stuff?
    The first part of the book, from 5 to 20. The mechanical crunch you care about is on 8-11. Basically, it's a +0 LA template.

The relevant crunch:
    -2 Dex, +2 Con
    Stuff vs. Dragons

Choose one of the aspects: Mind (vision et al.), Heart (breath weapon), Wings (sorta obvious)

Gain stuff by that, lose your standard racial stuff. Lesser Tiefling, on the other hand, is on the back of Player's Guide to Faerun: Basically LA +0 Tiefling that instead of being an Outsider is a Humanoid (Planetouched), losing all the awesome Outsider-benefits and making him subject to both, spells that target Humanoids and spells that target Outsiders.

The relevant crunch that remains after the transformation is:
    Humanoid (Extraplanar)
    +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha

Since you need Con more than Dex, Dragonborn tradeoff is very good for you. You have to give up Tieflings' racial stuff, but that isn't so amazing anyways and Dragonborn get decent substitutes in either natural wings (so you can fly if targeted by anti-magic to maintain distance) or dozens of modes of vision with good ranges (surprisingly hard to replicate with longlasting spells).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

does he allow epic?
    wizard 1/focus 10 = CL 21... epic casting at level 11 = win the game :)

you still get con x total level in HP right? that is, does a focus level give you HP from con, or no HP at all that level?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-21 at 11:53 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    does he allow epic?
    Not that easy:
    Epic Spellcasting

Prerequisite

Spellcraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane spells.

Filling those prerequisites early isn't easy. Even Dragonwrought Kobolds have difficulty doing it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I'm not sure I would go all caster levels, but doing even 4 caster/4wizard levels gives you a effective wizard level of 11 for spells, which means 6th level spells. At that point, it really starts to be rocket tag, and since you still count as a level 7 in terms of ECL, you can decimate everything.
    Wizards lose an average of 2.5 hit points and 2 skill points. Considering that the only ability scores a wizard needs are Con and Int (except for ray builds, if they skived out on Transmutation)...

I'd trade those hp and sp for extra spellcasting levels any day of the week.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    does he allow epic?

you still get con x total level in HP right? that is, does a focus level give you HP from con, or no HP at all that level?
    Con mod to HP.

Dragonborn fits the theme of the campaign, so it's almost guaranteed to be used.

I think focusing on boosting Con, Int and to some extend Wisdom will be my main goal. Any decent con-boosting Humanoid races?

Wizards lose an average of 2.5 hit points and 2 skill points. Considering that the only ability scores a wizard needs are Con and Int (except for ray builds, if they skived out on Transmutation)...

I'd trade those hp and sp for extra spellcasting levels any day of the week.
    Do lose all feats except first 2, though. So very limited metamagic.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2009-11-22 at 12:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Not that easy:
    Epic Spellcasting

Prerequisite

Spellcraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane spells.

Filling those prerequisites early isn't easy. Even Dragonwrought Kobolds have difficulty doing it.
    Ya, they have to site around in their hole for centuries, not doing anything at all. Which I recommend you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I think focusing on boosting Con, Int and to some extend Wisdom will be my main goal. Any decent con-boosting Humanoid races?
    Dragonborn dwarf or gnome, of course.

You should be getting into PrCs by level 4, so you're only missing out on a single feat.

Flaws and human (or halfling) as a race should make up for this. Doesn't work with dragonborn, though.

...Wait, do you completely lose out on everything related to HD? Like, you are affected by sleep at level 20?
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-22 at 01:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Can always pick them up at 3/level once you've aquired your 9th level casting.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Because of focus levels, I don't think you'd get spells known as either a Wizard or a Sorc, so unless you spend all your money on scrolls, you can't do much as Wiz 1/Focus 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you want?

Focus levels that give you disproportionately good casting are going to be for the most part wildly more desirable.

Why?

You have D4 HP. Your spells are all that matter. You get more from con-mod than you do from HD. Take as many bloody caster-focus levels as you can.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-11-22 at 01:11 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    What do you want?
    Omnipotence.

Failing that, to win the lottery.