Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Box

1. - Top - End - #1

Default The Box

Can you get inside the box?

The Box in layers, moving inwards:
    • Prismatic Wall
    • Wall of Force
    • Magically-Treated Obdurium, 1 foot (Hardness 60, hit points 120/inch of thickness)
    • Dirt
    • Soft Gooey Center

Rules:
    • You come into being fully formed, with all your items and levels.
    • You have 2 rounds to open the box
    • You must abide by the ToS ruleset
    • You must deal 1 point of damage to the Soft Gooey Center for your attempt to be considered a success.
    • There are no gaps between layers of the box. None. Zero.

The Soft Gooey Center has:
    • AC of -10 and 0 hardness
    • no resistances or immunities
    • the undead type
    • 10s in all stats
    • True Neutral
    • Deaf, Blind
    • 13 HD

The box can also fly, and only does so to stop people from making it fall. The box is surrounded by the aforementioned layers on every side.

Based on successful challenges, The Box may be updated to defeat these techniques. A record will be kept to enshrine all who reach the Soft Gooey Center.

Those who enjoyed the Soft Gooey Center:
    • BobVosh took it down with MDJ followed up by some Disintegrates, and made me change the time limit.
    • Eldariel beats it without using MDJ, using teleport and any number of ways to turn incorporeal. This makes me think of a way to get an Anticipate Teleport-like effect. Was solved by Eldariel with Forbiddance (I forgot this was permanent, I thought it was days or something)
    • Many folks bandied about MDJ and disintegrate. Maybe followed up by a quickened Magic Missle, such as Pharoah's Fist suggests? Looking for a way to beat MDJ. Has been solved, but requires me to write it up in an elegant manner.
    • Pharoah's Fist pulled off an alarming amount of contingencies and Familiar help with his contribution. Have thought of a way to block it. Will implement soon.
    • Milskidasith used this in a ridiculous manner.
    • Signmaker merely walks through all the magic walls and breaks down all the non-magic ones.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 09:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Box

Changelist:

T.G.Oskar reminds me to give the Soft Gooey Center an alignment.
    Realized 5 rounds gave a pure commoner a better than even chance, so reduced to 2.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 12:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

What exactly are the functions of Obdurium?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4

Really really hard metal.

It's in the Stronghold Builder's Guide.

EDIT: 5 rounds will likely be a really really long time. The smart money is on two rounds being a reasonable amount of time for most entries.

EDIT2: Hardness 60, hit points 120/inch of thickness
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 12:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    What exactly are the functions of Obdurium?
    Sorc 12/Bard 1 (bard taken at end to max UMD)
    I question this as well. Otherwise this:
    Scroll of disjunction.
    Disintegrate.
    Disintegrate.
    Disintegrate.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-11-22 at 12:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Could you post the stats of 1' of it? Hardness, HP, any odd effects? Because I think I can pull this with a Barbarian 12/Sorc 1.

Actually, depending on lvl13 WBL, I might do it with a Sorc 1/Commoner 12.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-11-22 at 12:27 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7

Strongly reconsidering time limit.

You know what, 2 rounds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Sorc 12/Bard 1 (bard taken at end to max UMD)
    I question this as well. Otherwise this:
    Scroll of disjunction.
    Disintegrate.
    Disintegrate.
    Disintegrate.
    This. Disjunction obliterates the wall spells, and Disintegrate eliminates all three objects one by one. Could even lower the required number of spell levels by firing a Ray of Frost or Acid Orb at the gooey center.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The level 13 limit is still in effect, right?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can we have the stats on the metal then?
    Barbarian 12/Bard 1
    I'm going to go with disjunction scroll, then lion totem barbarian withe destructive rage etc.

Hmm. 1440 hps then. This won't work.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-11-22 at 12:36 AM.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

11. - Top - End - #11

Level 13 is in effect.

Obdurium is the same as Adamantine, except Hardness 60 and hit points 120/inch of thickness

EDIT: Thinking of a cheap way to remove vulnerability to Disjunction.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 12:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

As I understand, given that you have nothing in place blocking interplanar travel, you could just use Astral Projection to enter inside under Ghostform and attack, no? Hell, even Greater Teleport + Ghostform would do.

Hell, doesn't even Dimension Door work? I mean, it uses the Astral Plane and doesn't require LoE or LoS. All you need to do is to state the distance. Scroll of Ghostform, Circlet of Rapid Casting, level 6 Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake Sorcerer, claw/claw/bite

Also, umm, Disjunction > Quickened Disjunction, Disintegrate?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-22 at 12:37 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I say the name of that demon that grants you a Wish, and get him to put me in. Then pay the terrible, terrible consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

14. - Top - End - #14

You'll note that there is no space between layers, and the Soft Gooey Center is a layer.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    You'll note that there is no space between layers, and the Soft Gooey Center is a layer.
    Hence why being incorporeal.

16. - Top - End - #16

How do you cast a spell at the Soft Gooey Center... Are you casting at the Soft Gooey Center from inside the Soft Gooey Center?

17. - Top - End - #17

So, assume, if you will, that since the Soft Gooey Center has stats and a type, it is a creature. What are the rules for casting something at something while inside that something?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, assume, if you will, that since the Soft Gooey Center has stats and a type, it is a creature. What are the rules for casting something at something while inside that something?
    Why would it matter? It gets normal AoOs etc, but so long as you can be in its square all is fine.

19. - Top - End - #19

What worries me is the normal D&D logic. If you cast a fireball at me from inside me, I still get a reflex save to dodge?

Anyway, I'm sad that the box got defeated by incorporeal internal magic missles.

EDIT: So, it looks like sofawall gets to hunt through book tomorrow trying to find a way to beat MDJ that will fit within the parameters of The Box.

Assuming I can find one, folks may want to find some way of beating it that doesn't involve MDJ.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 12:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Plan A

Round 1: Scroll of Disjuncton.

Round 2: Standard action for Greater Blink. Move into the center. End turn.

When you end your turn in a solid object, you take damage and are shunted out. Logically, if you end your turn in a living creature, it too will take damage from you materializing in its internals...

That might not work technically.

Plan B

Round 1: Scroll of Disjunction. Contingency for Disintegrate triggers. The obstacle between the caster and the center is gone. Quickened Magic Missile.

Contingency Condition: Rude gesture.

To ensure disjunction works, I will two scrolls for myself and another two for my familiar. We both UMD them.

Plan C

This one involves a casting of Nightmare?

Work in progress.

Plan D

Craft Contingent Spell allows for several contingent spells to be active, limited by one's HD. Set these spells down for contingency, and they are to activate in the right order to negate the Prismatic Wall when you make a rude gesture:

Cone of Cold, Gust of Wind, Disintegrate, Passwall, Magic Missile, Daylight, and Dispel Magic.

Have another contingency be to cast a second Disintegrate on the Wall of Force after the Dispel Magic, and another to be a second casting of Disintegrate on the metal after the first Disintegrate. One more to cast Disintegrate on the dirt after the third disintegrate. Have one last contingency be to Sonic Snap the center after the last disintegrate.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-11-22 at 01:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Cast flash frost dream on the soft gooey center?

Or more realistically, some sort of divination effect.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-11-22 at 12:55 AM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

22. - Top - End - #22

You mean, like Nightmare?

23. - Top - End - #23

Small change. The Soft Gooey Center is now Undead.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That explains why it is so gooey.

Btw why don't you enchant the metal with a dimensional lock?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    You mean, like Nightmare?
    Nah, that does subduel. I don't know if that counts.

OK, so now it's a flash frost nightmare cast by a nightmare spinner dread witch.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

26. - Top - End - #26

Cannot be made permanent.

Any and all solutions must be capable of functioning perfectly, forever, with no assistance from the Soft Gooey Center.

If you come up with a solution, to one of the kill methods before I do, by the way, that follows the above criteria, I'll give you credit for that as well. Maybe even a cookie.

@^^
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-22 at 01:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Scroll of Disjunction
    Phase. walk through the thing and leave behind something in the S.G.C. causing damage when the object rematerializes

Alternatively, use mage hand to drop a bag of holding into a portable hole just far enough away to let half the thing go kazot from the impending spatial rift.

Also alternatively Scroll of Wish the S.G.C. into a volcano/pit of acid/firing range/etc. while leaving the rest behind, or simply wish damage upon it and be done. One turn.

Ooohh.. almost forgot. Sphere of Anhilation trumps the walls, I believe. Move Sphere Forward...

I'm not very good on 3.5 but I think all of those still work.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Shardan: I doubt an artifact would fly; otherwise I'd suggest the Angelwing Razor.

29. - Top - End - #29

Plan D

Craft Contingent Spell allows for several contingent spells to be active, limited by one's HD. Set these spells down for contingency, and they are to activate in the right order to negate the Prismatic Wall when you make a rude gesture:

Cone of Cold, Gust of Wind, Disintegrate, Passwall, Magic Missile, Daylight, and Dispel Magic.

Have another contingency be to cast a second Disintegrate on the Wall of Force after the Dispel Magic, and another to be a second casting of Disintegrate on the metal after the first Disintegrate. One more to cast Disintegrate on the dirt after the third disintegrate. Have one last contingency be to Sonic Snap the center after the last disintegrate.

Time taken: 1 free action for the rude gesture.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-11-22 at 01:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Shardan View Post
    Scroll of Disjunction
    Phase. walk through the thing and leave behind something in the S.G.C. causing damage when the object rematerializes

Alternatively, use mage hand to drop a bag of holding into a portable hole just far enough away to let half the thing go kazot from the impending spatial rift.

Also alternatively Scroll of Wish the S.G.C. into a volcano/pit of acid/firing range/etc. while leaving the rest behind, or simply wish damage upon it and be done. One turn.

Ooohh.. almost forgot. Sphere of Anhilation trumps the walls, I believe. Move Sphere Forward...

I'm not very good on 3.5 but I think all of those still work.
    1. Been done before.
    2. Doesn't effect the box, only the bag and hole. If you do it the other way, it doesn't effect objects anyway.
    3. Outside parameters of wish.
    4. Getting control of artifacts isn't allowed under the ToS rules, and I think a Sphere might lose to a PrisWall anyway. The jury is out, but the members iof it that I spoke to thought that the Wall would win.