New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Delicious cheese: Dual progression

So, what all dual progression classes exist?

Obviously, we have Mystic Theurge, for full divine arcane progression.
    Also, there's Eldritch Theurge, for warlock/arcane progression.

There's one minor problem with this...a ten level class isn't enough to get 9th level casting on both sides(leaving out ur-priest cheese for now), and also, combinations are limited. I'd love to see an arcane/arcane progression, or a psionic/arcane progression. Sure, Erudite's spell to power is a decent imitation of that flexibility, but it's not really the same.

What other dual progression caster classes exist?

Master list from posts below ->

Dual Progression Classes:
    Mystic Theurge(DMG): Arcane/Divine
    Arcane Hierophant(RoW): Arcane/Divine
    Folchuran Lyricist: Arcane/Divine
    Ultimate Magus(CM): Prepared Arcane/Spont Arcane. 8/10 prog in 10 lev.
    Cerebremancer(XPH): Psionic/Arcane
    Eldritch Theurge(CM): Invoke/Arcane
    Psychic Theurge: Divine/Manifester
    Noctumancer(ToM): Shadowcaster/Arcane
    Yathrinshee(PgF): Arcane/Divine. 6/6 prog in 9 lev.
    True Necromancer(LM): Arcane/Divine.
    Soul Manifester: Meldshaping/Psionic

Accelerated Progression Classes:
    Ur-Priest(BoVD): Become a cleric in ten levels.
    Sublime Chord(CA): Go from 3rd level arcane to maxed in ten levels.
    Beholder Mage(LoM):Full wizard or sorc casting in 10 levels. Race must be a true beholder.
    Divine Crusader(CM): Divine spellcasting in ten levels for one domain only.
    Apostle of Peace(BoED): Divine spellcasting in ten levels. Requires all the vows, though.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2009-11-22 at 01:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Delicious cheese: Dual progression

Arcane Hierophant is one, and I think Folchuran Lyricist is another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Psychic Theurge + Ur-Priest + Ardent == Lulz
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-11-22 at 04:24 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ultimate Magus is a pretty good one, and you barely sacrifice any casting.

Though, it does have three, I think, levels where only the lowest level casting advances. But it has a bunch of class features, including metamagic reduction, to make up for it.

Edit: Oh, and it's arcane/arcane, as you requested.
    Last edited by Edwin; 2009-11-22 at 04:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nifty. I'm adding in stuff like Ur-Priest that have ten level caster progression as well, because frankly, they combo ridiculously well with dual progression classes.

Folchurian is interesting due to being bard/druid focused. Seems like an odd combo, but I guess someone out there has done it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Ultimate Magus is a pretty good one, and you barely sacrifice any casting.

Though, it does have three, I think, levels where only the lowest level casting advances. But it has a bunch of class features, including metamagic reduction, to make up for it.

Edit: Oh, and it's arcane/arcane, as you requested.
    That is why they made practiced spell caster, if you do it right you never loss a caster level.
    Also use beguiler/wizard to get in. Sad is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Nifty. I'm adding in stuff like Ur-Priest that have ten level caster progression as well, because frankly, they combo ridiculously well with dual progression classes.

Folchurian is interesting due to being bard/druid focused. Seems like an odd combo, but I guess someone out there has done it.
    Historically, bards were one of the three main types of druid, and the first rules-legal process of becoming a bard in D&D involved druid-ing at some point. So, thematically, bard/druid is logical IRL. Just not in game because of what they turned bards into.

Trouble with Fohlucian is, no entry before level 10 IIRC. Myself I'd have made it a policy point that all theurge classes should be 18-level ones that are entered at 3rd level after dipping into the two classes to be advanced, but WotC really didn't realise how far they were going to go with PrCs back in the day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    That is why they made practiced spell caster, if you do it right you never loss a caster level.
    Mmmm, nice! Are there early entry to any of these? I mean, sure, getting level two arcane casting is possible via Precocious Apprentice, but are there equivalent feats for other types, and how would you accelerate skill rank requirements?

Edit: So far, I think I can just about pull off quad-9th level casting in gestalt by level 20.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2009-11-22 at 04:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Sublime Chord has accelerated arcane casting.

11. - Top - End - #11

I was not exactly worried about the loss of CL, because, yes, there's a feat for that.

I was referring to the loss of spell levels.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have my books in front of me, but Eldritch Theurge from Complete Mage advances warlock and arcane magic and is fairly decent. IIRC it has the ability to add an eldritch blast to an arcane spell cast, or it might have been vice-versa.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

If we are talking about Dual Progression Cheese, I'd have to point out that a wizard with Spontaneous Divination counts for both sides of Ultimate Magus at the same time. How is that for Arcane/Arcane?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Thats actually a pretty interesting way to qualify for it...doesn't slow down wizard progression at all.

Im thinking, do that, then squeeze in a level of sublime chord for massive spont casting, then use Ult Magus to progress sublime chord/wizard.

Yay ridiculous amounts of arcane power.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    If we are talking about Dual Progression Cheese, I'd have to point out that a wizard with Spontaneous Divination counts for both sides of Ultimate Magus at the same time. How is that for Arcane/Arcane?
    CL 30? That's just cheating. (Note, Anonymous wizard does not take any responsibility for anyone called a cheater due to other characters reading this post).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was not exactly worried about the loss of CL, because, yes, there's a feat for that.

I was referring to the loss of spell levels.
    Practice spell caster for your sorc levels. That way your wizard levels are the "lowest" CL. Then you only loss 1 level for wizard. When you take sorc. Er, beguiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Mmmm, nice! Are there early entry to any of these? I mean, sure, getting level two arcane casting is possible via Precocious Apprentice, but are there equivalent feats for other types, and how would you accelerate skill rank requirements?

Edit: So far, I think I can just about pull off quad-9th level casting in gestalt by level 20.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=60
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #17

Practice spell caster for your sorc levels. That way your wizard levels are the "lowest" CL. Then you only loss 1 level for wizard. When you take sorc. Er, beguiler.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=60
    You are aware that Practiced Spellcaster only advances CL, not any other aspect of the spellcasting ability?

And as I said, I was not, at any point, worried about the loss of CL, but at the loss of advancement in the spell ability for the wizard side, because the OP's concern was not getting 9th level spells quick enough, not lower duration on spells.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You are aware that Practiced Spellcaster only advances CL, not any other aspect of the spellcasting ability?

And as I said, I was not, at any point, worried about the loss of CL, but at the loss of advancement in the spell ability for the wizard side, because the OP's concern was not getting 9th level spells quick enough, not lower duration on spells.
    I think I didn't make myself clear.

You can get in at 4th level if you precocious apprentice, I believe. However this is standard at 5th level without it.
    1 Beguiler
    3 Wizard
    Take the feat practiced spell caster for beg levels.
    1 level Ult Magus
    You are now Beg-4(can't pass current level in 1 class) and 4 wizard
    I'm not sure when the three skipped levels are, but I think it is 3, 6, and 9.
    so 2 more Ult magus (1 beg, 3 wiz, 3 UM)CL: 6 (1+2+4, caps at ECL) beg, 6 wiz
    3 more levels ult magus(1 beg, 3 wiz, 6 UM)CL: 9 (1+4+4, caps at ECL) beg, 9 wiz
    3 more levels ult magus(1 beg, 3 wiz, 9 UM)CL: 11 beg(1+6+4, caps at ECL), 12 wizard (tied before current level bump, choose wizard)
    last level Ult Magus CL:12 beg and 13 wizard.
    Only 7th level beguiler spell casting, but 13 wizard at level 14 isn't bad. 9th level spells at 18 instead of 17.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-11-22 at 06:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

There was a gestalt Omnicaster build around here. I can't recognise half the classes used, but most of them are dual progression classes of all sorts and there is a lot of them.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    There was a gestalt Omnicaster build around here. I can't recognise half the classes used, but most of them are dual progression classes of all sorts and there is a lot of them.
    Bah I spent forever looking for that. I gave up and used the link I found earlier :'(

21. - Top - End - #21

I think I didn't make myself clear.

You can get in at 4th level if you precocious apprentice, I believe. However this is standard at 5th level without it.
    1 Beguiler
    3 Wizard
    Take the feat practiced spell caster for beg levels.
    1 level Ult Magus
    You are now Beg-4(can't pass current level in 1 class) and 4 wizard
    I'm not sure when the three skipped levels are, but I think it is 3, 6, and 9.
    so 2 more Ult magus (1 beg, 3 wiz, 3 UM)CL: 6 (1+2+4, caps at ECL) beg, 6 wiz
    3 more levels ult magus(1 beg, 3 wiz, 6 UM)CL: 9 (1+4+4, caps at ECL) beg, 9 wiz
    3 more levels ult magus(1 beg, 3 wiz, 9 UM)CL: 11 beg(1+6+4, caps at ECL), 12 wizard (tied before current level bump, choose wizard)
    last level Ult Magus CL:12 beg and 13 wizard.
    Only 7th level beguiler spell casting, but 13 wizard at level 14 isn't bad. 9th level spells at 18 instead of 17.
    I'm not really sure why you need to make yourself clear on anything? I am quite capable of creating a build exactly like the one you've got there?

Although, I don't see why I would need to.

Also, I can't be sure because I can hardly read what you wrote, but something seems off.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm not really sure why you need to make yourself clear on anything? I am quite capable of creating a build exactly like the one you've got there?

Also, I can't be sure because I can hardly read what you wrote, but something seems off.
    What he is doing, if I remeber rightly, is using practiced spellcaster so that his Beguiler Caster level is not his lowest CL. This means that he can apply the single spell level increasing levels of UM on Wizard instead (well the first two anyway).
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2009-11-22 at 08:51 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well as long as we are including builds that involve cheating in this thread (Omnicaster), Beholder Mage from Lords of Madness is a 10-level class that casts 1st- through 9th-level arcane spells from the sorceror/wizard list spontaneously as free actions with unlimited spells known (seriously) and is actually rules-legal, but stilll gets you thrown out of games. You need to buy a casting of Polymorph Any Object to turn into a Beholder permanently and take the feat Metamorphic Transfer (Antimagic Eye) to enter the class, and Metamorphic Transfer (Eye Rays) to use its class features. Metamorphic Transfer only requires 5 manifester levels.

Anyway, you can enter Beholder Mage at sixth level and it's fast-progression, which is why I bring it up.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2009-11-22 at 09:30 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Ultimate Magus requires Spellcraft 8 ranks, so you'd need to go something like Beguiler 1/ Wizard 4/ UM. In order to put 10/10 UM spellcasting toward Wizard you'll need Practiced Spellcaster: Beguiler and you'll need to be an Illumian with the Krau sigil. The best thing about that is that Illumians are Humanoid (Human) and qualify for Able Learner, so that character can fill the less-than-crucial role of skill/trapmonkey without sacrificing any spellcasting ability. With two flaws you could use Versatile Spellcaster to start out Beguiler 1/ Wizard 1/ Master Specialist 3/ UM, but there wouldn't be room for Able Learner. Versatile Spellcaster would allow you to use two Beguiler spell slots of the same level to cast any Beguiler or Wizard spell you know of one higher level, and note that the spell need not even be in your spellbook you just have to have made the Spellcraft check to understand and learn it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is there a Truename Caster/Arcane Caster anywhere?
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Divine Crusader gets you 9th level spells in a 10 progression as well, albeit only from 1 domain.

27. - Top - End - #27

Apostle of Peace gets fast track divine casting as well.

28. - Top - End - #28

GnomeWizardGuy

It's perhaps the most limiting PRC in existence, but Apostle of Peace (BoED) has accelerated Divine progression as well.

I think you have all the dual progression casters already.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    It's perhaps the most limiting PRC in existence, but Apostle of Peace (BoED) has accelerated Divine progression as well.

I think you have all the dual progression casters already.
    Noctumancer.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, found a couple more myself:
    Player's Guide to Faerun has Yathrinshee, which is only open to Female drow, but it isn't full progression.

And Dragon #311 has Green Whisperer, which is Bard Druid.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show