New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

furious LV 100 Duel. Need Help!!

Hey y'all. I'm playing a friend of mine in a LV 100 duel on any books. My buddy's running a Drow Demilich Sorcerer Archmage and is immune to magic, pretty much psionics, takes half damage from bludgeoning, and a quarter from slashing and piercing. Now I have to beat him somehow, but still stay within the books. HELP!!!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: LV 100 Duel. Need Help!!

Would Pun Pun be enough to beat him?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

He doesn't sound very optimized.

What class would you like to use?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, off the top of my head I'd say something that's immune to magic would be good against a Sorcerer Archmage Demilich. Maybe some kind of Demilich Wizard Archmage?

I have no experience what-so-ever with level 100 characters or anything even remotely similar, but whatever the problem is, I'm confident Epic magic can handle it. Someone is bound to come along any minute now with some crazy scheme that will blow anything and everything out of the water. Or yeah, just Pun-Pun.

Incidentally, what made you decide on level 100? Was it just a nice, even number?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Archbear View Post
    Well, off the top of my head I'd say something that's immune to magic would be good against a Sorcerer Archmage Demilich. Maybe some kind of Demilich Wizard Archmage?

I have no experience what-so-ever with level 100 characters or anything even remotely similar, but whatever the problem is, I'm confident Epic magic can handle it. Someone is bound to come along any minute now with some crazy scheme that will blow anything and everything out of the water. Or yeah, just Pun-Pun.

Incidentally, what made you decide on level 100? Was it just a nice, even number?
    Well at this level wizard vs sorrcerer caster battle, the sorcerer just has to get the right feats and he will counter every spell you have and only have a measly 100 or so spells left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    I'm playing a friend of mine in a LV 100 duel on any books.
    Wow... did you really register to pose such a question? Lev. 100 with any books and no indication on your classes?

Be a caster, use Epic magic, win.
    Be a caster, use Genesis and one of the common loop with gate, win. (in this case, you don't even need to be a 100 lev. caster. You could be a lower level anything with UMD)
    Lev. 100 has too many ways...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah just do some searches on the playground for topics like "tippyverse", "chain-gating solars", "infinite loop", and "simulacrum abuse", and you'll find everything you need. If he's still vulnerable to any sort of attack at all by level 100, then he really doesn't know what the heck he's doing and you could probably beat him even with a level 30 character.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, my favorite tactic for the "you can't hurt me" build is to shapechange into a zodar:

Quote Originally Posted by Shapechange
    You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodar
    Invulnerability (Ex): A zodar is impervious to all attacks except those from bludgeoning weapons, and the enhancement bonus (if any) of such a weapon is disregarded when determining the result of the attack.

Wish (Su): Once per year, a zodar can alter reality as if it had just cast a wish spell as a sorcerer of the same level as its Hit Dice.
    So you get to keep all your own spellcasting-relevant stats, and gain Str 25, Dex 16, immunity to every attack form except bludgeoning weapons, and a free supernatural (!!!) wish. All you have to do is throw on a few buffs beforehand that ensure that any bludgeoning-capable bruiser he summons can't hit you, and you're set.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-11-25 at 09:57 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Go first. Going first is important.

And have contingent spells. You should be able to have 100 of them. Do so.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Let me clairify. I wanted to use the Fey'ari from RoF and run a char that is capable of defeating him. He also has an insane spellcraft check and abuses the soul steal of the Demilich. He also can control any undead.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

What limits are there on epic spells? If epic spells are allowed exactly RAW with no limits on mitigation, how much you abuse the epic spell design system is almost the only thing that matters. With house ruled limits, it may depend on how creative you are, and if the limits are severe enough the rest of your build might actually matter.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-11-25 at 11:05 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

This sounds like a lot of work for what will amount to an opposed initiative check. Figure out a tactic that will kill him. Invest as few levels as possible in it. Invest the rest in going first.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    This sounds like a lot of work for what will amount to an opposed initiative check. Figure out a tactic that will kill him. Invest as few levels as possible in it. Invest the rest in going first.
    Yeah, that.

Honestly I'd say you're probably better off throwing glitter at each other and going "I killed you with my magical 100 doom apocalypse!" "Nuh uh!" "Uh huh!"

3.5 shatters when you hit EARLY epic levels. Level 100 is beyond the point of silly and ridiculous in terms of what you can do.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Not really... Assuming that the other player wasn't sufficiently abusive it may not matter who goes first. So the Op should most likely just use one of the infinite mitigation methods to get immunity to everything and proceed from there.

Really this is kinda pointless, whoever is more abusive wins. Honestly, it's actually kind of boring... you could do the same thing the moment you got epic spellcasting. You don't need more levels after that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Take a few levels in psion/wilder and just manifest anticipatory strike. You go first.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Does his immunities cover Shadow Weave magic, divine magic (abilities of beings with some divine ranks), epic magic, invocations, truespeak, spell-like and supernatural abilities? If an answer for any of those questions is no, then it's the way to go (except truespeak - at this level no items will boost the skill sufficiently enough ot be of any use).

In any case a Ruby Knight Vindicator can generate high ammount of swift actions (by burning turn undead attempts) - it can have a large variety of uses.

For example if you focus most of your levels on advancing sorcerer casting, then you use those actions can cast loads upon loads of spells (if you take some Extra Turning or buy a bunch of Nightsticks) thanks to Arcane Spellsurge (shortens casting time). Even if your opponent is immune to magic, you can gate any creature with HD up to twice your caster level (Great wyrm Force/Prismatic Dragon maybe with additional racial HD or Genius Loci or something else) buff it into stratosphere and watch it tear the demilich down.

Or go with a build similar to the infamous Chuck E. Cheese (even without persisted Footsteps of the Divine he could deals absurd ammounts of damage).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Does his immunities cover Shadow Weave magic, divine magic (abilities of beings with some divine ranks), epic magic, invocations, truespeak, spell-like and supernatural abilities? If an answer for any of those questions is no, then it's the way to go (except truespeak - at this level no items will boost the skill sufficiently enough ot be of any use).
    Meh. Epic spell with arbitrarily high buff to Int (I seem to recall that's what Truespeak is based off). You now have a Truespeak score of aleph 0. Congratulations.

I don't think you quite grasp how absurd this is, no amount of typical damage (I believe Chuck was fire) is going to have any effect at all, and no creature is going to matter either.

You are going to have infinite ability scores, AC, saves, etc.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    What limits are there on epic spells? If epic spells are allowed exactly RAW with no limits on mitigation, how much you abuse the epic spell design system is almost the only thing that matters. With house ruled limits, it may depend on how creative you are, and if the limits are severe enough the rest of your build might actually matter.
    basically, most instant kill spells are out. However, there is no limit to anything else. I personally enjoy melee/arcane hybrids. And btw, hes also a ninja

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

basically, most instant kill spells are out. However, there is no limit to anything else. I personally enjoy melee/arcane hybrids. And btw, hes also a ninja
    Then you know what you must do then. Try to convince him to take as many levels of ninja as his build will allow as that class is worthless to him at high levels (Or most levels, really). A heavy fortification buckler does in the silly part of the equation that isn't as easily replicated with spells.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-11-25 at 11:53 AM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Meh. Epic spell with arbitrarily high buff to Int (I seem to recall that's what Truespeak is based off). You now have a Truespeak score of aleph 0. Congratulations.

I don't think you quite grasp how absurd this is, no amount of typical damage (I believe Chuck was fire) is going to have any effect at all, and no creature is going to matter either.

You are going to have infinite ability scores, AC, saves, etc.
    Oh, right... epic magic mitigation rules.

And now i have the urge to find a way of producing an ability score of aleph 1 (as absurd as it may seem).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Oh, right... epic magic mitigation rules.

And now i have the urge to find a way of producing an ability score of aleph 1 (as absurd as it may seem).
    Heh, if you manage that one post it. I can't recall whether the latest version of Pun Pun has aleph 1 or aleph 0 scores though, so it might have already happened.

Yeah though, this duel is no duel. With proper preparation it's just gonna be a joke. Without it... well it'll still probably be a joke, just for the other guy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UnChosenOne View Post
    Would Pun Pun be enough to beat him?
    Banned. So is any build like him.

23. - Top - End - #23

Does this apply to epic spell casting as well? Because that house rule would completely alter this.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Banned by who? If it's your friend who's making the rules, then this could be much harder, since he may have already pre-emptively 'banned' his weaknesses...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

21 levels of your favorite int based full caster class
    25 to int from levels (than add on items but lets ignore those for now)
    3 levels of factotum +12
    6 level of lurk +12
    Moment of Prescience +25

should get you the first turn (than use your immediate action to gain your turn first should he try to use his)

the 21 levels of int caster should allow you to do any of the above cheese
    Check out my horrible homebrews

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, really. Take incantatrix. Cast time stop and persist it. Do this every day for a year. Chain-gate in a few thousand solars. Dispel your time stop. If ten thousand angels can't kill him, that was just your first standard action in round 1. Quicken a time stop and try it again.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, we need to know what kinds of rules there are in place before we can help you any. If Pun-Pun is "banned", we need to know on what accord.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Uber-charger build. That's like 20 levels there and half of like 1k+ damage will still probably be enough to one shot him. Use another 20 levels to stack on a bunch of holy, sacred, etc damage on the uber-charger damage just to make sure.

You now have 60 levels left who's purpose will be to make sure you can charge him. So, full casting and a way to Quicken Disjunction (Incantrix or whatever) as well as Teleport/Planeshift and so forth.

Ruby Night Vindicator or similar to break the action economy.

Then you just win initiative, Disjunction his defenses, teleport to charging range, charge, and win.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

If he's at all smart about using epic magic himself, Disjunction will hit an epic ward and fail.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

...I'm curious. Is there anything that a level 100 character with epic spellcasting can do that a level 21 character with epic spellcasting can't? Don't you kind of cap out once you get into chain-gating infinite amounts of Solars to produce arbitrarily powerful epic spells? I mean, really, where the heck are you supposed to go from there?