A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad

Thread: Shadow

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Shadow

I recently got my hands on the Tome of Magic, and when I saw the Shadowcaster, or something near that name (It's late, I'm lazy, I don't want to get it right now), I started wondering about it. In any case, what can people tell me about it. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it fun? What can you do with it? Etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Shadow

From what I hear, the binder is the only really worthwhile thing out of the ToM. Play a shadowcaster at your peril.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Change the mysteries from per day to per encounter and you're pretty good, actually.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadowcaster is decent, a touch weak. Mysteries are slightly more powerful than spellcasting, though less broken. You just get them far fewer times per day. Are you starting at at least level 4?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The class has some issues. Limited uses makes it run out of gas far too fast at most levels. The slightly bumped abilities don't really ever make up for that because they don't get a lot of the arcane heavy hitters, and they don't get a lot of the synergy between spells that normal casters do.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

IMO Shadowcasters are a class that its first half is written in the ToM and the second half is on these boards
    If you do not modify him he has few mysteries known and per day. However nocturmancer is a very powerful class and the master of shadow PrC is very fun too to play.
    Relevant threads on this topic.
    In short its a full caster with 9th level spells but doesn't make most DM's gape in awe about the broken stuff full casters usually do
    Also he is more durable and focused on abilities that are close range and more easily bypass defenses. If your campaign focuses on 2-3 hard encounters / day and is 7th level or greater then he will do ok.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2009-11-26 at 03:34 AM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Shadowcasters have a lot of fun tricks, but get very few uses of those tricks per day (and I do mean VERY few, since unlike even a prepared caster, a Shadowcaster cannot devote different numbers of slots to the challenges of the day). If all casters were like them, I think that the game would be a lot better... but if you're in a party with a proper caster, you'll feel a little bit outdone.

That said, a Shadowcaster is still capable of a lot of things. Just not for very long. Oh, and I wouldn't play a Shadowcaster at low levels. You need to be within the 7-9 range at a minimum before you stop running out of steam way too early.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 36. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~