Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Let's Play Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

One of the legendary series of gaming, Civilization is an Earth-based 4X strategy game about taking your nomadic tribe of stone age people and leading them to greatness over the course of the millennia. Despite a couple of spin-off titles the fourth game is the latest installment in the series. With two expansions the game has seen a substantial amount of tweaking in order to be at its best. This is what i am going to be let's playing for however long it takes.

Before beginning a game you face a few choices regarding the nature of the world you will be playing in. The very first one is choosing from a list of different types of terrain to play on, such as this one:

Spoiler
    Show

Seeing as how most of these mean nothing to someone who hasn't played the game and are even fairly unclear to me, i have gone ahead and decided to use the Tectonics map set. It purports to create earthlike worlds, loosely following actual plate tectonics. I cannot tell if that is true or not, what i have noticed is a certain mean-spirited nature to many of the maps it generates which should be fun. You also have to choose a difficulty, which in this case will likely be the relatively easy difficulty of noble, though depending on leader used and victory headed for i might raise it to prince instead.

After a series of further questions narrowing down the type of world you are creating, you face the most important choice in world setup. Which civilization will your people belong to and who will lead them. There is a long list of civilizations and leaders both famous and obscure to pick from, who have a variety of traits, examples of leaders demonstrating all the traits will be shown here.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

While these are just a few of the leaders and civilizations in the game, they should give a good idea of the variety this game offers. Some of the symbols and concepts described in these traits might need explaining, however.

Purple notes represent culture, which in turn determines how much land around your city that you control and leads to one of the different modes of victory. It can also make enemy cities betray their leader and join you instead.

Yellow circles are commerce, which is used to not only maintain your cities and armies, but also to fund research and after some technology has been researched it can be traded with other civilizations.

Wonders are special buildings that come in two flavors. Great wonders that only one copy of can ever be built and national wonders that every civilization can be build one of, but which have a cap of two per city.

Smiley faces mean happiness which is needed to make your citizen actually work on improving your civilization instead of just sitting around and complaining. It provides a cap of how productive your cities can be, if unhappy citizens exceed happy ones they will just become useless drains on you.

Civics are how you govern your situation. They can have a wide variety of effects, ranging from giving you new options in how to rule your cities to alter fundamental gameplay mechanics. In general your choice of them is among the most important decisions in your game and since it causes anarchy that makes your cities entirely unproductive for a while after you switch them, you have to pick carefully.

The weird yellow square with a black blob in the middle represents great people, though i'm not quite sure why. They are special units that hold special abilities of such efficiency that they can form the centerpiece of an entire strategy, though many of them are somewhat situational in their use. They can also research technology or at least give you a major boost to some of the later ones.

Finally the red cross symbols represent health. If unhealthiness exceeds healthiness your cities will grow slower or even shrink as food is wasted rather than put to use increasing the city. This can provide a secondary cap over city size and productivity together with happiness.

With these choices out of the way the game finally starts. Before we get that far, however, i ask the readership two questions.

The first is, what kind of leader do you think i should play as? The easiest is to state which traits you think i should pick, though saying a general theme of leader could work as well. For that matter you can say a specific leader you want me to play as and if they are in the game i will go with them.

The other is which of the variety of victory conditions i should head for. While the list isn't overwhelming there are a few.

Spoiler
    Show

Your decisions on both leaders and victory conditions will be binding, i will try my hardest to achieve the victory you chose, which should prove interesting as i have only ever managed to achieve one of these conditions. So vote away, leave comments or demand positions in your tribal council to your hearts' content.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2009-11-27 at 04:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

Hmmm...

Leader: the Russian lady, I can't remember her name
    Victory: Conquest!

on an off-note, do you know of any really good mods for BTS?
    Last edited by Celesyne; 2009-11-27 at 04:58 AM.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'm tempted to say 'Diplomacy', but that's just mean. I've never managed it myself.

How about Space Race? It has lots of neat screenshots.

For a leader, I vote Elizabeth.

EDIT: For mods, the BAT/BUG mod is great for making the whole interface more user friendly.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2009-11-27 at 06:26 AM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    I'm tempted to say 'Diplomacy', but that's just mean. I've never managed it myself.
    I've done it twice, if anything it's one of the easier victory conditions (on single-player); somewhere behind Culture. It is a lot simpler to do with the UN than the Apostelic Palace though.

I'd second the vote for Space Race as it is the classic Civ victory and looks cool. Failing that, Dominion as it just looks (from an aesthetic perspective) more interesting than conquest and allows you to make some use of the colonies option.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Conquest for the win, along with Gandhi.

Diplomacy isn't that hard. You just conquer or vassalize enough nations that you hold enough votes in the UN alone.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nah, go for a Cultural victory...can be a real sod pulling one of those off. Oh, and the "yellow square with a black blob in the middle" is actually supposed to be a side silhouette of a person's head, which maybe makes it a bit more explicable why it represents a great person.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Culture is easy. Build cathedrals for as many religions as possible in your three cities, tech to liberalism, revolt to free speech, then push the culture slider to 100%. Easy win.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #8

Leader? RANDOM!

Victory? CONQUEST!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Conquest is boring, go for space race - dominate others by achieving mankind's dream!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

How about Space Race? It has lots of neat screenshots.

For a leader, I vote Elizabeth.

EDIT: For mods, the BAT/BUG mod is great for making the whole interface more user friendly.
    Diplomacy is fairly easy to do if you try for it from the start. Here are the ten things I try and do when going for a diplomatic victory. They aren't very easy to just stumble into though, whereas at a pinch Culture or Space Race can be pulled out to salvage a plan gone wrong.

1. Remember that the threshold for the AI to vote for you is friendly relations.

2. Pick two reasonably powerful AI. Do everything in your power to befriend them. Make sure that they don't hate each other, so bribe or bully them into the same religion as each other and pick peaceful types. Gift them technologies, supply them with resources, help them whenever they ask.

3. Two AI's should be enough to tip you over the edge, but if possible get more. Never jeopardize your primary partners though.

4. Neither of those two AI's can be your diplomatic rival. The diplomatic rival is either the one who built the UN or the one with the highest population. Accordingly make sure your partners aren't either of those two.

5. Scapegoat tactics work wonders. Make a nation that everybody hates. Declare war on them, bribe everyone else into declaring war. By relentlessly bullying this nation you should have very positive diplomatic modifiers with the majority of the world.

6. Make sure your allies aren't friendly with your rival. If they are make sure they like you a lot more. Try and make your rival a different religion. Or be the scapegoat. Anything that will take them down to pleased instead of friendly.

7. Landgrab efficiently. You need as many votes as you can get. Explore and colonize offshore islands. Settle aggressively. Engage in warfare.

8. Backfill. There are a lot of sites which you ordinarily wouldn't use which could support a size 6 or 7 city on them. Once your claim is established backfill any gaps in tile usage between cities with marginal cities.

9. Farm. When maximising your population to grab the final triumph don't get attached to those cottages, workshops and mines. Replace everything with farms and your population should soar.

10. Diplomacy is a continuation of war by other means. If things just aren't working out then you can steal the population you need to give yourself the victory. Since Beyond the Sword you can also vassalize AI's to guarantee their support for you, even if they hate your guts.

Go for conquest or domination.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

So an important part of the key to winning a diplomatic victory is warfare? How appropriately cutthroat.

And as an update i will start the game sometime this evening, basing my voting on that. I have also noticed that few people have suggested any leader for me to go for, so i would encourage you to go ahead and do it. If not i will pick from the four suggested so far.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ahhh, good old Civ 4. I've played quite a bit of it myself. Here are my suggestions:

Leader: Willem van oranje of the Netherlands. Dikes are awesome. Creative and Financial are a powerful combo.
    Victory: Space Race. The Dutch are en excellent builder civ, which lends itself to the space victory.

For those less familiar with the game, i suggest you check out www.civfanatics.com to get a primer on some of the mechanics.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to say Victoria (she is the English one with Imperialistic right?) and go for Domination or Conquest

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I am quite sure she is. She ruled England at its most imperialistic and she is in the game.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have no preference as to leader, but I'd like to see us going for Space Victory.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Space victory with an Imperialistic Philosipher (Like Sully) provides lots of Great Generals to name Playgrounders after, so I vote for that.

And a space victory, because it is awesome.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll change my vote to Space Victory, but my vote for Victoria still counts

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I use Diplomacy to speed up a boring mop-up operation.

I'll just conquer enough places that I have the required votes to select myself as the leader of the world.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

...And instead of getting a good Conquest/Domination victory video you get the same old boring leaderhead guy surrounded by other surviving leaderheads with an U.N. logo at the background. (even if you won by Apostolic Palace voting)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I have to play on low resolution, so I don't get any videos at all.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    ...And instead of getting a good Conquest/Domination victory video you get the same old boring leaderhead guy surrounded by other surviving leaderheads with an U.N. logo at the background. (even if you won by Apostolic Palace voting)
    That's the price you pay for not spending another dozen turns mopping up the last of the resistance.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Voting for Suleiman and Space as well. Also gonna call a unit name (you can rename units, right? or just great people? I'll take one of those then).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll vote for Brennus (Celts), and Space as the victory goal.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

+1 For England.
    +1 For Space.
    The leader... I'm not too concerned about.

*waits and watches*
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2009-11-28 at 12:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

I also vote for space victory. Are there any wikings in the game?

WIKINGS...IN...SPACE!!!
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Good point. Ragnar is hella fun to play. Berserkers FTW!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    I also vote for space victory. Are there any wikings in the game?

WIKINGS...IN...SPACE!!!
    I was gonna say Space Zulu, but given the state of things right now...

Vikings

Space

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Oh man, the last two posts just reminded me what I have to vote for.

Vikings, Space Race victory.

Spaaaaaace Odiiiiiiiiiin!
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ragnar sounds good enough to me as well.

If we are going for a Space Victory, lets at least make it a fairly aggressive one. Don't just claim land and tech up. Break some skulls.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I whole-heartedly endorse the 'Vikings in Space' plan.
    Last edited by Mr.Silver; 2009-11-28 at 02:37 PM.