Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

smile Xenos, Heresy and Robots, Oh My!: Let's Play Galatic Civilisations 2!

Not wishing to steal Cubey's thunder or anything, but his LP of GalCiv is nearing it's end, and, having recently purchased the game, I thought I'd give it a go. From a slightly differant approach.

I.E. Total Galactic Conquest or Bust! Along the way, we'll have to deal with many hardships. But we will prevail, because our faith in the Emporer is strong!

Yeh. We'll be playing as these guys:

And this is our Glorious Political Officer Leader, Commisar Hat!

Do not make fun of his name. Making fun of the Commisar's name is Heresy.

Well, here's the Race Overview Screen:
    Spoiler
    Show

That's pretty much all there is, apart from a few abilities. Basically the Imperium of Man is geared up to kick the crap out of any Xenos Scum that looks the wrong way at us exists. We're starting with important things like Hyperdrive and Galactic Warfare, the sooner to bring the Emporer's divine judgement (read, many lasers/railguns/missiles) to the heretical foe.

The galaxy is a Gigantic one, with numerous suns and planets, but it's uncommon to see a habitable one. Of course, on this scale, there's probably going to be tons of them around, but hey, more people to bring the Message of the Emperor to.

Log Entry: Commissar Hat Starts

The horror...

Standard format for these logs, as indicated by Millennia of Imperial infrastructure states that I must put a date at the start. Trouble is, we don't know what that date is...

I suppose we should start from as near the beginning as possible. We... discovered something amazing, on the dead world of Regina IV. An ancient piece of human technology allowing many ships to share the same warp bubble. What the Cogboys failed to notice was that the device was heavily damaged... Less than 5 hours into the Warp, there was a major malfunction in the unit. Before anyone could react, the ship carrying the unit tore asunder, and the other ships fell prey to the demons in the warp before they could get their shielding up. The Emperor smiled upon the rest of us, it seemed, because 4 ships including my own scout vessel managed to activate theres. Then we hit a strong current and... found ourselves... here.

Spoiler
    Show

The Novox, a heavy cruiser was on a direct course with a habitable looking planet. Too damaged to move out of it's collision course, the captain instead decided wisely to slow the descent down to survivable speeds. Emperor knows if cruisers are actually capable of proper surface landing, but the Novox made a nearly flawless touchdown on the western continent of the planet, which we have named "Terra Nova" after the Holy City-Planet of the Imperium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rather worringly, the star-charts we have gathered from our short time here do not match any in the Imperial databases contained on the ship. Therefore, we reason that this is new territory. It is our duty to explore this expanse of space and bring the word of the Emperor with us.

If experience back at home taught me anything, it's that Xenos tend to respond best to the Emperor's Word at the business end of a Las Rifle or Bolt Pistol. I immediately got the Cogboys working on ways to bring back online and improve the heavily damaged weaponry we brought back with us. As the single Political Officer on any of the three surviving ships, I assumed command, and took stock of our present situation. The Novox would probably never fly in space again. It was too badly damaged, too expensive to move, and the crew has already begin converting it into living space and the basics for a shipyard. I also commanded them to build a Manufactorum to decrease the build time for future projects. The former troop transport Jagexus was commanded to travel to the second planet in the system and set up an outpost there. It did so without a hitch, and the new planet under our control was named Martia Nova, in honour of the great Adeptus Mechanicus Forge World.
    Spoiler
    Show

We've left the soil unturned for now, other than the colony. While the mining barge Ferrous was sent off to build mining stations on the Asteroid field near Martia Nova, I commanded my ship out system, towards a strange object the sensors picked up. It was...

Spoiler
    Show

what might have passed for some substance of Slaanesh. We had the ship's psyker look at it, but he came to the conclusion that it wasn't the product of the ruinous powers, but an item of ancient xeno tech that made those that came into contact with it slightly more... reproductive. I ordered the substance transported back to our planets and distributed among our population, then managed to beat the mass rush to the cold showers by executing a random trooper. I love my job.

We continued on our trajectory towards another star system, which we dubbed "Tycho." Sadly, no planets were inhabitable. I ordered a course set for another nearby system, when a message arrived from Terra Nova. Their communications gear was picking up xenos radio traffic... and they were boasting about their 'unique achievement.'

Spoiler
    Show

That was conclusive evidence. There is sentient life out there, and it is apparently bold enough to be bragging on about how superior it is. Reminds me of the Emperor-cursed Eldar. Well, they don't know that the Emperor's ears are listening, and even now his hand is preparing to make it's move...

Spoiler
    Show

Which is the discovery of another, for our purposes barren star system. Must make mental note to execute one of our survey teams for failing the Emperor's Will. Slacking gits.

Right then. I need willing servants of the Emperor! Another survey team would be good, and I'm sure the Cogboys would appreciate some proper direction as well. Together, we can eradicate the Xenos infestation, gain glory and power, and maybe could return home when we're done! The Emperor Protects!

Thought for the day: When those fine men of the Imperial Guard find themselves in much bother, they call out for close air support - Anonymous

(xp194 disclaimer: first of all, it might be a good idea not to expect regular updates, as I'm inundated with work at the moment. Also, I apologise for bits of 40k canon I've got wrong/horribly wrong, as I'm not hugely familiar with it, having only read a few of the novels and lots of internet articles. And finally... your input is appreciated! I tend to be kind of rubbish at these sort of games so having some advisors would be incredibly handy! :-D Just ask if you want to sign up, and feel free to write logs for your guy. Happy hunting! - xp194)

Edit: Quite literally, right after I finished posting this and checked the forum, I discovered Cubey just finished his playthrough, and was pondering playing another one at some point. I kinda got there first, and now I'm feeling kinda bad about that, being the new guy and all. But still! Cubey, you inspired me to start this and I can only hope it achieves a fraction of the greatness of your masterpiece! ...

No hard feelings, right?
    Last edited by xp194; 2009-12-22 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Changing Thread Title

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Let's Play!: Galactic Civilisations 2... too?

Actually, my LP is kinda finished.

A x2 AND a x4 farming tile on a homeworld? What a horrible waste... although x4 farming tends to be a waste most of the time anyway.

What tech tree are you using?

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Uninhabitable planets and Xenos Scum, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post

What tech tree are you using?
    Minor Race's. Probably gonna bite me in the ass big-time later, but the Imperials never really struck me as an 'advanced' race much because they based it all on old stuff.

But hey. Everything going horribly wrong makes for the fun times!

Well, I messed up taking the screenshots for this update, and due to using paint to save the images in (I can't use the ctrl + prt scrn shortcut ingame for some reason), I've lost the bottom half of a few of the image. Nothing too bad, the main action is still there in the top, but it's a bit annoying all the same.

Commissar Hat's Log, entry 2:

Empty. All the space around us is empty. Oh sure, there are planets and asteroids, but all of them are unsuitable for supporting human life. I can honestly say I've never been to such an Emperor forsaken sector in all my days. Wait, we've got a report coming in...

Spoiler
    Show

Wait, so you're telling me that we're the greatest race in the galaxy purely because we haven't met anyone else? Emperor help me... Shoot the surveyers. In the legs.

The system of Solace is... empty. Like every other one apart from our own. This is getting depressing. From now on, I'm going to stop jotting down systems of no importance, because there's loads of them from what we can see.
    Spoiler
    Show

The situation is starting to look very grim. Our 'corner' of the Galaxy at present is very small, not connected to the main mass of stars except through a bottle neck of stars that would be very defensible if anyone else was parked there. Still, the Emperor will guide us to victory in the end, I'm sure.

We picked up something strange on the scanners... further analysis showed it was basically pure concentrated... influence.

Spoiler
    Show

"You mean it's... mind control?" I asked one of the Psykers.

"In layman's terms yes. We can use it to spread culture and ideas to others. Somehow. We aren't sure of the details yet."

"Details shmetails. The Emperor has seen fit to provide us with a weapon capable of dominating the hearts and minds of others! We must build a station on it immediately, and begin mining it!"

"As you command, Commissar."

It might be considered heresy to some, but weaponising culture seems like a good idea. The Emperor always needs More servants... Well, it can serve secondary to our main campaign of "Suffer not the Unclean to live." In any case, willing to pull out all the stops to claim the most interesting thing we'd found in weeks, I ordered and paid for completly up front, a station construction ship.

Spoiler
    Show

I was jubilant until I was told that it had been paid for out of my 'personal' stash of funds due to lack of money. That lowered both my mood and the temperature of my cabin. However, before I could summirarily execute those responsible, we recieved a signal. From a Xenos ship.

Spoiler
    Show

We hadn't bothered looking through our recorded xeno broadcasts in order to try and translate them, but now I'm thinking we should at some point for two reasons. The first is the "Know thine Enemy" which has served strategists well for millenia, and the second is that we have no frame of referance for the broadcast. Was it a threat? A Greeting? Maybe even a warning? I mean, heck, we have translators and diplomats at home, when it's not worth sending the Guard in immediately. Maybe we'll look into it. I ordered a full scan of the ship before it left our sensor range.

Spoiler
    Show

Unarmed, built for speed and detecting. A scout ship, much like our own flagship. They can't have been threatening us with that, right? But their eyes looked so evil!

We recieved word that the mining station had been completed. The first good bit of expansionist news since Martia Nova. Despite any reports you might hear to the contrary, I did not do a 'happy dance' upon learning this. Anyone caught spreading that rumor will be shot.

My jubilation went higher, then was shot down, when it was reported that in another system we had discovered a Class 13 planet. I was about to send another order back to our shipyards for another colony ship, costs be damned, when they broke the bad news. The surface of the planet was highly radioactive, enough to kill a man as soon as he stepped off the transport. I didn't shoot anyone for this failure because I just wanted to cry,
    truth be told. If the Emperor has a sense of humour, it's not a very good one.

Spoiler
    Show

Suddenly, more Xenos! Once again, completely unintelligible, but unlike the last one which were small and fluffy, these were robots, that just oozed pure evil and contempt for organic life. What was even more disturbing was that we didn't spot the ship that relayed the message, whatever it was.

I have ordered a return to Terra Nova. We need to come to a descision about what to do with these Xenos that we have encountered. Also, the Cogboys reported that they're about 3 weeks away from getting our weapons towards a workable state, and are requesting that we give them a catagory to focus on, that we might improve on the designs. The choices they've given us are:
    1. Railguns
    2. Lasers
    3. Missiles

I like the sound of railguns (Nothing like delivering the Emperor's Justice through a few hundred tons of titanium travelling at relativistic speeds) but I'd like to hear any pros and cons of the others. I may be slightly mad with power, but I'm not a dictator!

Also, we have compiled a general map of the things we found during our few months or so of reconnasiance:

Spoiler
    Show

I've already said it once... there's basically nothing of interest around us, apart from the influence resource and that class 13 planet. The situation really is looking grim.

Oh, and the Cogboys have been monitering radio traffic from the other civilisations and have managed to filter them to the extent that they have a fairly good idea where the major ones are located.

Spoiler
    Show

We are the dark green blob in the lower left corner. Pretty much directly between us and the rest of the galaxy is that robot race we met earlier. No sign of the fuzzy abominations though. Prehaps I overestimated their position in the galaxy. I hope.

Thought for the Day: "Tactical Genius, hurrrrr." Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed

(So Yeh. The nearest races to our starting point are the Snathi and the Yor. And there's like, no planets to colonise. What's more, the Yor are positioned nicely to prevent an easy expansion towards the rest of the galaxy. Which presents us with a dilemna. Do we research translation and diplomacy fast like and sweet talk our way into surviving, or concentrate on military and try to crush them? I'm undecided.)

Edit: Apparently, I've played a bit too much Star Control 2 and referred to the Snathi as Spathi. Totally differant, and fixed now.
    Last edited by xp194; 2009-11-28 at 06:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Railgun them to death. Pronto.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

The sooner you start killing the Yor, the faster you'll be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lasers are the obvious choice. Trading less power for more guns is the Imperial way!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
    Railgun them to death. Pronto.
    Agreed, the Yor are bad news.. railgun the heretic/xenos/whatever.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Thought of the day: Lasers kick ass. -anonymous guardsman

There is only one way to deal with the Xenos scum, Commisar! They are to be eliminated as the greatest threat to the Glory of the Empire that they are.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. The RNG really screwed you over on the initial colony rush. That many systems and not a single habitable world? Ouch.

Anyway I say missiles tend to be pretty good. The AI doesn't pick that one too often. So unless you have the strongest and most advanced military in the early game, the AI won't pick point defense as their primary defense tech. You'll be going up against armor or shields.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2009-11-28 at 09:42 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Uninhabitable planets and Xenos Scum, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by xp194 View Post
    Do we research translation and diplomacy fast like and sweet talk our way into surviving, or concentrate on military and try to crush them?
    Are you playing the xenos loving sissies? No, you're playing the Imperium. Crush them. Without mercy. Laugh about it. Execute some random guardsman while doing it for kicks and giggles.

I'd advise to go for lasers for fluff reasons. Railguns and missiles, but especially railguns, scream Tau.

Also, from your Let's Play and Cubey's, it seems it's the same robot telling you about technologies whichever race you are. I'm disappointed. I expected different scientists for different races.

All in all, nice LP and I'm looking forward to more from you.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    Also, from your Let's Play and Cubey's, it seems it's the same robot telling you about technologies whichever race you are. I'm disappointed. I expected different scientists for different races.
    The robot depends on alignment. I figure the Imperium will swing Evil, which Cubey never did, so you'll get to see the third robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post

The Terran Alliance have a differant set of 3 robots, I think mainly because they're the race you play the campaign as.

And, yeh. The Imperium will in all likelyhood be evil. They my be considered the good guys in 40k, but it's because everything else in the setting is so grimdark, they come off as one of the betters.

Even Tau have a sinister side to them (Mind control, concentration camps, etc)

All in all, nice LP and I'm looking forward to more from you.
    Why thank you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You're welcome.

Maybe Master of Orion II spoiled me, with three different people for each race depending how you acquired the technology (research, conquest or espionage), but I find it disappointing. At least the Terran Alliance shows some originality.

Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to Commissar Hat's reaction to fellow humans... who don't worship the Emperor.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

The robots depend on alignment, and maybe on whether you play as a human-like race or not.

15. - Top - End - #15

Bonus round!

For those that wish to enlist, I have come up with an apptitude test, testing your faith in the Holy Emperor and ways on which to deal with beings that don't believe in him.

1. What is the proper pronounciation of Emperor?
    a. Emp-er-or
    b. Emprah
    c. Corpse

2. What is the best way to purge the unbeliever?
    a. Fire
    b. Tank Rush
    c. What's so bad about not believing anyway?

3. Xenos are to be?
    a. Exterminated
    b. Defeated
    c. Hugged :-3

4. The Commissar's orders are?
    a. Law
    b. Orders
    c. Wrong

5. What is the battle cry that should be on the lips of any charging soldier?
    a. For the Emperor!
    b. Kill them all!
    c. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

6. Armoured Personel Carriers are?
    a. Sacred to the Machine Spirit and are to be prayed for
    b. Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off
    c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

7. If you hear voices in your head promising you great power, you?
    a. Immediately turn yourself in to the Inquisition
    b. Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all.
    c. Contact the nearest cabal of cultists for advice

8. Exterminatus is?
    a. A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence
    b. A really great thing to watch
    c. OhSlaaneshwhyistheskyburningahohgodsmyuncleanskin

If you answered mostly a, congratulations! You are pious and well versed enough to be drafted into my command crew! If you picked mostly b, well, you're a good person, but your faith maybe could use a little trail by fire. Deckhands, soldiers, etc. If you answered mostly cs though...

*BLAM*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

b. Emprah

a. Fire

3. Xenos are to be?
    b. Defeated and then enslaved so we might use their work to build more xeno killing weapons.

a. Law Because he has a gun.

a. For the Emperor!

b. Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off

b. Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all. The drugs'll wear of eventually

8. Exterminatus is?

If you answered mostly a, congratulations! You are pious and well versed enough to be drafted into my command crew! If you picked mostly b, well, you're a good person, but your faith maybe could use a little trail by fire. Deckhands, soldiers, etc. If you answered mostly cs though...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

a. Emp-er-or
    b. Emprah
    c. Corpse

a. Fire
    b. Tank Rush

3. Xenos are to be?
    a. Exterminated
    b. Defeated

a. Law
    b. Orders
    c. Wrong

a. For the Emperor!
    b. Kill them all!

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

8. Exterminatus is?
    a. A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence
    Thought of the day: Excellence is a Divine Gift.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2009-11-29 at 08:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Xenos: If having frictionless clothing (or similar trade good) is wrong, then I don't want to know what's right.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

I answered the questionnaire in a slightly modified order.

Emperor

Fire

3. Xenos are to be?
    Exterminated

Law

For the Emperor!

Immediately turn yourself in to the Inquisition.

8. Exterminatus is?
    A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence.

METAL BAAAWKSEEEEES!

One of these answers is not alike the others.

20. - Top - End - #20

Emp-er-or

Fire! Fire and death! death and fire!

3. Xenos are to be?
    Exterminated

Law

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! For the emperor!

Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off

Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all.

8. Exterminatus is?
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bonus round!

For those that wish to enlist, I have come up with an apptitude test, testing your faith in the Holy Emperor and ways on which to deal with beings that don't believe in him.

a. Emp-er-or
    b. Emprah
    c. Corpse

b

a. Fire
    b. Tank Rush

b

3. Xenos are to be?
    a. Exterminated
    b. Defeated

c

a. Law
    b. Orders
    c. Wrong

b

a. For the Emperor!
    b. Kill them all!

a

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

c

b

8. Exterminatus is?

a

*BLAM*
    Can I bez in teh army plz? A mixed bag averages out to bs anyway....
    Last edited by Raroy; 2009-11-30 at 12:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd advise to go for lasers for fluff reasons. Railguns and missiles, but especially railguns, scream Tau.
    Imperial ships actually seem to have mix of missiles and lasers as their big guns. They do deploy railguns as well, although that technology seems to be limited to point defence and close range fire.

It certainly wouldn't out of character for the imperium to have strong missile technology. Most of their planet killers are based around missile systems rather than death star style lasers.

Also: I answered mostly C's on the questionnaire. Which means I am the perfect candidate for head of the Inquisition.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Say.... might I be the resident techpriest/servant of the Omnissiah?

I figure a Magos Genetor would be useful if you want to colonise death worlds.

24. - Top - End - #24

Commissar Hat's Log Entry 3:

First off, before I recount the events of the last few months, I am proud to announce the following placings of people within our fragment of the Imperium!

Pilot: The_JJ. Once flew my Flagship but has been assigned elsewhere which I'll detail later

Inquisitor: Even_Human. Currently placed on Terra Nova trying to figure out why there is so much dissatisfaction

Advisor: Cubey. Vitally important role you have too

Priest: Aragehaor. Do good work keepin' us pious

Sargeant Raroy. Is a Sargeant. Do you need to know more?

Inquisitor's 'Assitant': Selrahc. Position was already filled, but you're still helping

Magos Saurus33. Representative of the Ordo Mechanicus and Minister of Lasers.

I would like to thank those that applied and hope you find great joy in your Holy Work. Feel free to write in and tell us about your experiences, and you might get a Cookie. Not from me, you understand. The Emperor. He likes cookies.

Now
    With that out of the way, I will move on to the events of the last year or so. I am pleased to report that things are starting to look optimistic again. Just about.

While the twin threats of fluffiness and metal are still there, our economic situation is pretty much on the up and up.

Spoiler
    Show

The first Research Schola was ordered to be built on Terra Nova. This and the Manafactorum will pretty much be where the cogboys live now. Don't worry, they enjoy their work. I think.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving on, Martia Nova has a Manafactorum being constructed as well. Still a bit of a far cry from it's Forge World namesake but it's a start.

Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of which, the Cogboys are now done assesing what the weapons need to do, which I would have thought was obvious but if you try and tell them that, they go into a sulk and nothing gets done. Better to let them do it their way than no way at all, I suppose.

Spoiler
    Show

Then intend on having a particle beam ready before they more onto more intensive laser research, which was the eventually decided to be the direction to head down.

Spoiler
    Show

We found the homeworld of the furry xenos. We will make sure to pay it a second visit when our lasers arrive... *smash* Guardsman? Did you just knock over my potted plant? You did? *BLAM*

Spoiler
    Show

Ahem. In other news, we discovered another radioactive planet. And a Barren one. I decided to order a bunch of guardsmen down to the radioactive planet anyway 'just to be sure' The lone survivor had a tumor the size of his head on his arm. I had to shoot him for mercy's sake.

I wonder if it's a bad thing that I love this job so much?

I was still pondering this a few weeks later when a breathless member of the bridge crew stumbled into my quarters.

"Sir, we found a planet! Class 6 sir."

I stared at him for ages.

"And?" I asked, "The downside is?"

"There isn't one sir! Uninhabited, and perfectly colonisable!"

"Let me see that..."

Spoiler
    Show

The captain of the ship later told me that my cry of "OH THANK THE EMPEROR, YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!" could be heard throughout the ship. I'm not ashamed.

Spoiler
    Show

It's the best bit of news I've had in months and I personally payed out of my funds to get a Colony ship built and sent off on the 18 week trip there. I think we're going to need better engines soon.

I also got invited to attend this "United Planets" thing. Normal Imperial procedure dictates that the answer to this be death by Exterminatus, but I am very mindful of the fact we only have two, soon to be three planets, and no combat worthy craft. I decided to play along for now...

Spoiler
    Show

So apparently one of the rules of this thing is that a new spacefaring nation is not exposed to aliens they haven't met yet. Apparently, the robotic Xeno's enigmatic transmission was what passed for first contact around here, and I found myself sitting opposite one of the "Yor Collective" as they called themselves.

On the agenda the matter of was which of us was going to have the 'prestige' of hosting the Intergalatic Olympiads. I was about let the Yor take their sporting events and leave when I noticed that the hosting race got 20 billion credits a week in increased trade. Now, I have to say, we are rather strapped for cash. Every few weeks I'm having to make adjustments to taxation and budget to keep us in the black. So you can probably guess this sounded... interesting to me. There was one problem. The Yor, being a bigger race, had more votes than we did. Obviously they'd want the cash for themselves, being the greedy xenos that they are. But the Imperium never backs down from a battle, and I submitted our vote for us to hold the games, fully expecting to lose.

Spoiler
    Show

In a completely unforeseen twist, they voted for us as well! An extra 20bcr in the account each week for a year! But I have to ask... what are they planning for us? Are they trying to be kind to us? Or do they have some ulterior motive that is of yet hidden to us? Either way, they shouldn't expect us to be thankful later. We will crush them. It's just a matter of time.

Spoiler
    Show

And the new income couldn't have come at a better time. The satisfaction of the citizenship was at an all time low due to me raising taxes to be able to afford faster research for lasers. With the new cash, I was able to lay the taxes off somewhat...

Spoiler
    Show

...As you can see here.

Spoiler
    Show
    the Schola on Terra Nova is complete...

Spoiler
    Show

And the furry xenos who we now gather call themselves the Snafi are boasting about some 'economic capital' or some such. They will be the first to die.

Spoiler
    Show

In other, less heretical news, the Cogboys are done asking their Clockwork god what the weapons are supposed to do and have given us a working particle beam. I immediately arrange for it to be incorperated into a secret project...

Spoiler
    Show

Afte that, I gave them the challenge of seeing if they could make future laser models both smaller and more powerful. They seemed happy about this, and are in the process of investigating.

Spoiler
    Show

Here is our noble colony ship slooowwwllyy making it towards the planet to be colonised. I've yet to think of a name for it.

Spoiler
    Show

After the completion of the Manafactorum on Martia Nova, I ordered a starport to be built, hopefully somewhat doubling our ship building capacity for the future.

Spoiler
    Show

There's this lovely spot on Terra Nova, full of green grass, super fertile land, and endless blue sky. In fact, the perfect agricultural spot. So what do you think I did, ladies and gentlemen?

Spoiler
    Show

That's right. I stuck a Schola on top of it. Although there's many faults people might find with me, being an enviromentalist isn't one of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Yet more Xenos boasting about their 'achievements'

Spoiler
    Show

And an away part found a bunch of artifacts that became converted into credits. Promotions to that team!

Remember that secret project I talked about earlier?

Spoiler
    Show

It's finished.

Spoiler
    Show

Meet the Lasback Fighter Mark 1. The first ship of our section of the Imperium to have a weapon. Or, more aptly, as a Cogboy working on it put it, "It's a gun with a fighter attached to it." The gun quite literally takes up the bulk of the ships systems. There was no room to fit more engines or scanners or anything. It's basic, but hopefully, it'll be what we need for now. The first ship has been christened the Cadia, and I requested that The_JJ fly it. He has served well as my flagship's pilot for a while now, so he might appreciate a change of pace.

Incidentally, the position of Flagship pilot is still open if anyone can stand having me wave a gun around the bridge in the morning threatening to shoot anyone untill I've had some Tanna or Recaff.

Spoiler
    Show

Martia Nova's shipyard is complete. Things are indeed looking up

Spoiler
    Show

Wait... what...? Humans...? It can't be. Surely? I guess we'll have to wait to find out...

Spoiler
    Show

The planet is colonised. Realising I hadn't thought of a name yet, I stayed up through the night scribbling ideas down. Unforetunately, I might have overdone the celebratory Amasac and woke up in the morning to find the paper gone. Apparently, the officer who picked it up had mistaken my sketching down of 'Spirit,' intended as a concept to inspire my brain to think along similar lines, as the actual name. The planet Spirit. Oh well, I guess I can choose to change it later if I feel like it.

Spoiler
    Show

More Xenos, more boasts... although these sounded as similar to us as the Terrans did. Maybe it'd be in our interests to try and contact them?

Well, it's been busy. Like heck. Like I said at the beginning of the entry, things really are looking up for us. Now, truly do I feel the Emperor smiling on us, guiding us. We will make the right decisions as guided by his right hand. We will prevail.

Thought for the Day: Those who fight monsters might become monsters: Unattributed.

Well, yeh. Things are looking good. First military ship and all, a new colony. What's worrying me is the Planetary Council episode. Why did the Yor vote for us to essentially get a free bonus of cash every turn when they could easily have taken it for themselves? I suspect they're trying to 'fatten' me up a bit, to make a juicier target later on. Incidentally, this is what I love about Galciv so far. A bad AI might have made the same decision for a stupid reason. A good AI might have made the opposite decision for good reasons. Galciv's AI probably did it because it has a plan. And I am now, if not afraid, mildly paranoid. This is probably unique in a strategy game.

xp194 out (And feel free to sign up/write bits about your character's jobs and daily lives! )

edit: Fixed broken picture links, I hope
    Last edited by xp194; 2009-12-04 at 06:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Pilots log:
    Thank the Emperor for this gift of a machine, the better to kill the xenos. More specifically, I thank his servent, the Commisar Hat, for selecting me for this duty. Death to the xeno scum.

The_JJ's secret log:
    Finally something with a gun... to bad it's this little tin can. No armor and no engines.

We're going to need a lot more of these...

Hell, let's go strafe the local wildlife. They're xeno, right? Whatever, they burn nice when shot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Log of Magos Saurus, Minister for Lasers:

Success!

Here, in this unknown, mostly uninhabitable void, we are so far behind compared to the mighty forge-worlds of the known galaxy. We lack much of the sacred technology needed to create that which we need; but we have persevered.

Praise to the Machine God!

Using radioactive materials from that accursed death-world, we have created a relatively simple particle beam weapon. It is not a true laser, but many of the technologies and concepts recreated here will be useful in later research.

The Yor, as they call themselves... They are interesting. Are they kin to the Iron Men, or are they biological intelligences transplanted into machine bodies, beings like the Necrons?

Or are they simply squishy meat creatures in fancy suits?

It is a dilemma, and one I hope to solve by deconstructing some of their athletes when they come into our space for this Galactic Olympiad.

"We are sorry, but one of your transports seems to not have arrived. Perhaps next time you could try building up the hull a little?"

Mwahahahahahaha!
    Last edited by Saurus33; 2009-11-30 at 07:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The_JJ's secret log:
    Odd. That cogboy who fitted this thing with the lasers been hanging around and dropping hints about an 'accident' he 'most certainly, definaltely doesn't want to happy to those xeno scum.'
    And laughing evilly.
    I think he wants me to shoot something. I don't know why these people dance around so much. If they want me to make something burn, die, or explode, all they gotta do is ask.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-11-30 at 08:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Some images aren't working, either because they're broken or because you forgot to use image tags.

And there are other humans in the galaxy. I'm happy. This promises much tension.

"It's a gun with a fighter attached to it" sums up the Imperium's philosophy perfectly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Log of Inquisitor E. Ven Human:

Commisar Hat called me to his quarters today. There were rumours of unrest and discontent in Terra Nova. I immediately suggested Exterminatus. The Commisar assured me that we could not afford to lose a world as valuable as Terra Nova, and that we did not possess Exterminatus-capable ships in any case. I noted that the latter reason was Heresy. Commisar Hat noted that destroying a world named after the Most Holy Terra was also Heresy. Not wishing to enter a theological debate I acknowledged the Commisar's point and left. There was Heresy on Terra Nova. I could smell it. Soon I would smell it burn.

Thought of the Day: The executions will continue until approval improves.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2009-12-01 at 09:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler'd for length.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bonus round!

a. Emp-er-or
    b. Emprah
    c. Corpse
    There's no excuse for bad grammar.

a. Fire
    b. Tank Rush
    You left out "d. overly complicated plot".

3. Xenos are to be?
    a. Exterminated
    b. Defeated
    And enslaved, for the greater glory of Tzeentch the Emperor, of course.

a. Law
    b. Orders
    c. Wrong
    Or obstacles. As dictated by the whims of Tzeentch and my inevitable betrayal the Emperor.

a. For the Emperor!
    b. Kill them all!
    If you must shout something as you charge into oncoming artillery fire, why bother being consistent? Use all of them, if you get the chance.

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!
    The only option that didn't sound like an Ork or one of those Techpriests cultists.

Are you even trying with this one? Only the servants of Khorne would be so foolish. Assuming they can read.

8. Exterminatus is?

It really is. Particularly when the only heresy in the system is... well. You know.

*BLAM*

Shall I get to my station then? I'm sure I can find a way to sabotage the fools further the glory of the Emperor from the comm station.
    Last edited by Tome; 2009-12-01 at 09:49 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/