New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default [3.5] Great all-purpose feats

It's a great thing when you gain a new feat, and you realize you already have all the necessary feats for your character build at your current level.

In these times, you can always turn to the old classics, like Improved Initiative, a good old skill focus, spell penetration and the likes. But let's see some great feats that aren't used that often, but are all-around good for a wide range of character concepts.

My DM suggested Dash from Miniatures Handbook for my warlock upon reaching level 3. Extra 5 ft movement that will also affect my fell flight? Not the greatest thing ever, but damn, it's nice for a feat.

Of course I later realized that, being a dragonwrought kobold, draconic aura (swiftness) was better. Still, Dash is a great all-purpose feat in my opinion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Great all-purpose feats

Improved Toughness is a solid standby for me.

Nymph's Kiss is in the same vein. Extra skillpoints always help.

Open Minded is a faster payoff than Nymph's Kiss, and sometimes is worth it.

Wild Talent + Speed of Thought trumps Dash in most cases.

Martial Study / Martial Stance are just amazing, for almost everybody.

Combat Expertise is brilliant for anyone who doesn't rely on attack rolls (and good for many who do).

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know a character that wouldn't be improved by the Bind Vestige feat.

Travel Devotion can be useful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I will pretty much always take Able Learner on my human characters, unless I'm really starved for skill points anyway.

It goes extremely well with a 1st level of rogue. Plenty of points to go around and you'll never have to worry about cross-class and maximum ranks again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

For any character with levels in a manifesting class, Psicrystal Affinity is great. It's much more durable and useful than a familiar, and you technically don't have any drawbacks if it's destroyed (according to WotC, if it's destroyed you "get another one").

It has so many uses it's not even funny.

Shape Soulmeld and Martial Stance are great ways to get special abilities and always-on buffs, whether you have associated class levels or not.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-28 at 11:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

spirit sense from HoH a nice feat which allows you to not worry about killing any messengers or any of the BBEG's minions because you can still question them.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

For any character with the Dragonblood subtype, the Draconic Aura provide nice bonuses(I especially like Senses, a +1-4 bonus to Spot/Listen/Init to all allies? Yes thanks!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    For any character with the Dragonblood subtype, the Draconic Aura provide nice bonuses(I especially like Senses, a +1-4 bonus to Spot/Listen/Init to all allies? Yes thanks!)
    Regarding that, a Dragonwrought kobold loses its dragonblood subtype to become a pure dragon, if I remember correctly. Does that mean they're stuck at +1 with this feat? It would be pretty stupid: you're more of a dragon so your draconic aura is weaker. But the wording sure seems to point that way.

Also, does this mean a dragonwrought kobold sorcerer can sacrifice spell slots (level 2 and up) for draconic auras the way a true dragon does?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Insightful Reflexes (from Complete Adventurer, let's ju add Int instead of Dex to reflex saves) is good for a pretty wide variety of classes, especially since Int builds tend to use classes that don't have a good reflex bonus. It's not useful for everyone though. The same book has Jack of All trades. It lets you use any skill untrained. Pretty nifty.

Dash has been mentioned. I just wanted to add you can find it in Complete Warrior as well.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

There are a couple of feats that let you change the stat you use some skills with for another. Always useful for everyone who doesn't rely on the ability score in question.
    The +2 bonus-on-one-saving-throw-feats is always helpful to boost a low save. Maybe a weapon focus?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Quick Draw, and Blind-Fight are ones that I've made good use of. Eschew Materials is found on every one of my casters.

I will second Psicrystal Affinity; those things are all kinds of useful. Practiced Manifester is good for any multiclassed psionic character. (Practiced Spellcaster too, but spellcasters who give up caster levels are a lot rarer.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I'll have to second Shape Soulmeld and Martial Study / Martial Stance feats. They open up a world of possibilities. Like entirely new families of feats.

I'm looking into Shape Soulmeld (Wormtail Belt) for my kobold. +2 natural AC? All right. I rarely get attacked, but +2 is always good.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Grushvak View Post
    My DM suggested Dash from Miniatures Handbook for my warlock upon reaching level 3. Extra 5 ft movement that will also affect my fell flight? Not the greatest thing ever, but damn, it's nice for a feat.

Of course I later realized that, being a dragonwrought kobold, draconic aura (swiftness) was better. Still, Dash is a great all-purpose feat in my opinion.
    Spending a feat for something that is outclassed by Boots of Striding and Springing is not a good idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Spending a feat for something that is outclassed by Boots of Striding and Springing is not a good idea.
    God forbid I ever have to retrain.

For now, at level 3, it is great. And the availability of such magic items is never assured, so I usually don't let the existence of a magic item that accomplishes the same function keep me from a feat I find appealing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding that, a Dragonwrought kobold loses its dragonblood subtype to become a pure dragon, if I remember correctly. Does that mean they're stuck at +1 with this feat? It would be pretty stupid: you're more of a dragon so your draconic aura is weaker. But the wording sure seems to point that way.
    True dragons automatically qualify for anything that requires the dragonblood subtype (RotD p. 4, down at the bottom).

Also, does this mean a dragonwrought kobold sorcerer can sacrifice spell slots (level 2 and up) for draconic auras the way a true dragon does?
    I believe so.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Dash equivlent is only 2000 something gold (fixed) on armor. You can get a 10 ft land bonus for 2000 if you give up your shoes (3000 if you don't)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Toughness, 'nuff said

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Combat Expertise is brilliant for anyone who doesn't rely on attack rolls (and good for many who do).
    How do you figure? You have to attack to use it.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    Toughness, 'nuff said

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Most builds don't take all-purpose feats. Generalizing = bad, specializing = good. That's how things work for the most part.

Improved bloody Initiative, however, is nigh-universally useful. It's not always worth a feat slot, but it's certainly better than scribe scroll in my eyes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Most builds don't take all-purpose feats. Generalizing = bad, specializing = good. That's how things work for the most part.

Improved bloody Initiative, however, is nigh-universally useful. It's not always worth a feat slot, but it's certainly better than scribe scroll in my eyes.
    Improved initiative is good for Rogues, Ninjas, and anyone who relies on their opponents being flatfooted, but only for one round. Improved Feint is much more useful.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Improved initiative is good for Rogues, Ninjas, and anyone who relies on their opponents being flatfooted, but only for one round. Improved Feint is much more useful.
    Hello, my name is Wizard. I don't care about hitting first, I care about my opponents doing just that.
    Seriously, winning initiative is important for everyone.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Sarcasm I hope

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    Toughness, 'nuff said
    No. Just...no.

No no never no.

And hell no, for good measure.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrasa View Post
    Sarcasm I hope
    Maybe he means 3.0.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Blind-fight in order to avoid being punished by invisible foes with sneak attack (or similar precision damage), though only for melee. The reroll for concealment can be beneficial as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Aside from feats that are part of a feat chain, here's some I really like when I have a feat to blow:
    • Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium (for any spontaneous caster - 1 extra spell known per level, which might otherwise not be available to your class)
    • Bane Magic (2d6 extra damage against 1 creature type - good at low levels especially, if you are facing one type of foe a lot)
    • Able Learner (must for any human who plans to multi-class)
    • Wild Cohort
    • Domain feats (especially Chaos, Knowledge, Law, Travel and Trickery)
    • Rapid Spell (Summon creatures as a standard action for +1 spell level)
    • Scorpion's Resolve: like Iron Will, but +4 instead of +2 (still applies to 90% of Will saves you have to make). Will also stack with Iron Will.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Toughness is required for Roll With It?

I made a 3rd level dwarven fighter with 45 hp and DR 2/-. Needed Toughness to do it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If I'm playing a spellcaster, I usually grab Extend Spell ASAP. May not use it at level 1, but it's a great thing to have handy. Improved Initiative is also probably the only feat I would take, regardless of anything else on the character sheet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schylerwalker View Post
    Toughness is required for Roll With It?

I made a 3rd level dwarven fighter with 45 hp and DR 2/-. Needed Toughness to do it though.
    Yeah, about that, I always ask DM if I can take Improved Toughness instead (though in one arena, I did play a character with Toughness and it won me a match; that said, that was because said arena was a level 1 arena).

'cause Toughness is frankly the reason Tarrasque isn't very intimidating. If it had useful feats instead of the infinite Toughnesses, maybe it could accomplish something other than be big and look dumb.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.