A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tyger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    There don't appear to be any restrictions on manifesting a psionic power whilst paralyzed. Is this an accurate interpretation?
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

    Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    Paralyzed mentally or physically?
    Hold Person is mental paralyzing. You can't do anything. "It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech."

    Str 0 is physical. You can take mental actions.

    So answer is maybe. The question depends on how they are paralyzed.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tyger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    Ahhh... good point. And the answer is a homebrewed critter the DM came up with.

    Lets assume for a moment that all the critter did was apply the normal paralyzed condition. That specifies you can take purely mental actions. So power manifestation would be unaffected there, right?
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

    Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    From the SRD (bolding added):

    A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions. A winged creature flying in the air at the time that it becomes paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A paralyzed swimmer can’t swim and may drown. A creature can move through a space occupied by a paralyzed creature—ally or not. Each square occupied by a paralyzed creature, however, counts as 2 squares.
    I believe that includes psionics.

    EDIT: As evidence for the last bit, Ectoplasmic Cocoon includes the line

    The subject can execute purely mental actions (such as manifesting powers or casting spells with no verbal, somatic, or material components).
    Last edited by Yzzyx; 2009-11-29 at 12:59 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Ahhh... good point. And the answer is a homebrewed critter the DM came up with.

    Lets assume for a moment that all the critter did was apply the normal paralyzed condition. That specifies you can take purely mental actions. So power manifestation would be unaffected there, right?
    Completely and totally unaffected.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    You can still fail via Concentration check. When paralyzed by an effect, it would be that effect's saving throw (if it doesn't have one, it gets assigned one based on the spell level/spell it's mimicking) plus the power's level. So manifesting a 2nd level power under the effect of Hold Person from a 18 Int wizard would be 10 + 3 (Hold Person is a 3rd level spell) + 4 (18 Int) + 2 (for a 2nd level power) for a DC 19 Concentration check to manifest.

    (You can manifest in Hold Person assuming all the power needs is thought- you're still aware, which means your mind is still working. I can't remember what/if any Psionic powers require a focus or any kind of S/M/V component, but those that would DO get stopped by Hold Person still.)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    Quote Originally Posted by LordLocke View Post
    (You can manifest in Hold Person assuming all the power needs is thought- you're still aware, which means your mind is still working. I can't remember what/if any Psionic powers require a focus or any kind of S/M/V component, but those that would DO get stopped by Hold Person still.)
    None. No Psionic Powers have the traditional arcane components. Some have XP components, though.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Manifesting psionic powers while paralyzed?

    You know what I really like about psions? Being able to take 15 on concentration checks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •