New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: fun with hiding

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default fun with hiding

say someone is a rogue 12 or so and a shadowdancer 1, and has enough ranks to survive a hide with a minus 20 for charging or combat, can they hide in plain sight during their attacks on the enemy?
    Or to put it simply, can you hide from someone you are trying to kill, while they are trying to kill you?
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: fun with hiding

Yeah, but even with shadow armor the -20 brings the spot check down to something that most enemies can actually make with good luck. It gets even better when the rogue has spring attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Throw in Dread Comando. You gain the ability to hide while moving at no penalty and run or charge with just a -10 to hide. Dodge and Mobility are prereqs, but if you want spring attack anyway, might be just the thing.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Unless I'm mistaken, as long as your shadow dancer remains in the shadows for the entire duration of the encounter he can remain hidden from sight for the entire encounter regardless of what actions he takes as long as he makes the appropriate hide checks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Your biggest problem (assuming you can make the hide checks) is that, unless I'm missing something, you would still need to use all your move actions to hide.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Levithix View Post
    Your biggest problem (assuming you can make the hide checks) is that, unless I'm missing something, you would still need to use all your move actions to hide.
    You only use a move action to hide immediately after a ranged attack, according to 3.5. Moving more than half speed adds another -5 penalty, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, as long as your shadow dancer remains in the shadows for the entire duration of the encounter he can remain hidden from sight for the entire encounter regardless of what actions he takes as long as he makes the appropriate hide checks.
    You are mistaken in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hide in Plain Sight
    A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.
    The Shadowdancer doesn't need to hide in shadows; the shadows just have to be within 10'. That's why this ability is Supernatural (i.e., magic). Unless you throw in an Antimagic Field, the Shadowdancer can hide 10' away from the shadow of a blade of grass. Nifty, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Levithix View Post
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hide
    Action: Usually none.
    Except in the special case of the Sniping rules, Hide doesn't require its own action. And you can Hide while attacking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hide
    It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging.
    No, the real problem, as Lord Thurlvin mentioned, is that if you fail your Hide check while you're making a full attack right in someone's face you're in for a world of hurt.

Completely legal maneuver. Completely risky legal maneuver.