New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Red Wizard of Thay: Good or Bad

Can someone post the class features of a Red Wizard plz????

and is it a good prestige class?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Red Wizard of Thay: Good or Bad

It's not open content so we cannot post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

3. - Top - End - #3

1. No.

2. Yes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

It is, however, in Dungeon Master's Guide so just pick the book up and see for yourself.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Tattoo scribing, and they become slightly more powerful with their chosen specialization.
    Not sure if i can tell you much more.
    I do believe I can say that it is by no means a BAD PrC, there's just a lot of better ones.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It is, however, in Dungeon Master's Guide so just pick the book up and see for yourself.
    THX. That helps a lot...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    Tattoo scribing, and they become slightly more powerful with their chosen specialization.
    Not sure if i can tell you much more.
    I do believe I can say that it is by no means a BAD PrC, there's just a lot of better ones.
    I dunno, Simulacrums for your Circle, cast CL 40 spells on level 13 regularly... It's really one of the topend PrCs simply due to how silly strong Circle Magic is. It's to CL what Incantatrix is to Metamagic.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The only "flaw" if one can call it a flaw, is the racial requirement. However cool, there really is only like 4 different human subspecies: Silverbrow (Dragonic), Underfolk (Underground Humans), Vashara (My Fave, Drow-like humans), and Aquatic Humans (Little more than merfolk), not including base human. And of those, only 2 would consider this class: Base and Vashara.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    The only "flaw" if one can call it a flaw, is the racial requirement. However cool, there really is only like 4 different human subspecies: Silverbrow (Dragonic), Underfolk (Underground Humans), Vashara (My Fave, Drow-like humans), and Aquatic Humans (Little more than merfolk), not including base human. And of those, only 2 would consider this class: Base and Vashara.
    Not just human, but "human from Thay" and I'm pretty sure there's no human subspecies that exist canonically in Faerun. Of course, it's all a matter of changing fluff around but I don't know why they insisted on putting a Campaign exclusive class in the DMG which assumes you're playing in a generic Greyhawk.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Not just human, but "human from Thay" and I'm pretty sure there's no human subspecies that exist canonically in Faerun. Of course, it's all a matter of changing fluff around but I don't know why they insisted on putting a Campaign exclusive class in the DMG which assumes you're playing in a generic Greyhawk.
    Because the designers are obviously insane. They were giving us clues since the release

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Most DMs I've talked to ignore the "From Thay" and just say you were originally in thay at one time or another.

12. - Top - End - #12

It's explained in the entry: It's a class to showcase the other settings and the kinds of specifications Setting-specific PrCs can have.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

There is! It's called Deep Imaskari, and by golly, they even get +2 Int! I practically wet myself when I found the subrace, and then I went and built me a Deep Imaskari red wizard. For the OP, I can certify that the red wizard is as good a juicy angus steak seared to crisp perfection. At level 13, I'm routinely walking around with epic caster level (helps me bigtime on checks against spell resistance), and while I can't fire off volleys of metamagicked spells the way an incantatrix does, I can strategically apply metamagic to a few spells where it will do the most good. It's an excellent prestige class.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    Can you point me to what sourcebooks those subspecies are in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Can you point me to what sourcebooks those subspecies are in?
    Silverbrow are from Dragon Magic, Underfolk are in Races of Destiny, Vashara are probably from Book of Vile Darkness, and Aquatic Humans are either from Unearthed Arcana or Races of Destiny again. Deep Imaskari, which are FR-specific descendants of a human empire around Thay are in Underdark.

EDIT: Side-note, but I think a later FR book (Unapproachable East?) let characters qualify for regional feats and prestige classes by having two ranks in Knowledge: (Relevant Local) in place of actually being from that region.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2009-12-01 at 01:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    Silverbrow are from Dragon Magic, Underfolk are in Races of Destiny, Vashara are probably from Book of Vile Darkness, and Aquatic Humans are either from Unearthed Arcana or Races of Destiny again. Deep Imaskari, which are FR-specific descendants of a human empire around Thay are in Underdark.

EDIT: Side-note, but I think a later FR book (Unapproachable East?) let characters qualify for regional feats and prestige classes by having two ranks in Knowledge: (Relevant Local) in place of actually being from that region.
    The later book you're thinking of is Player's Guide to Faerun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    The later book you're thinking of is Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Ah, thanks. I thought I saw something in Unapproachable East about that, but it seemed like an odd place for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thanks. I thought I saw something in Unapproachable East about that, but it seemed like an odd place for it.
    To be super technical, but being a Red Wizard and not being from Thay carries some severe repercussions in that particular setting. Just a warning to any characters you might build: avoid REAL Red Wizards.

EDIT: Yay, my fairly in-depth socio-political knowledge of the Realms pays off again!
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-12-01 at 01:17 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

You still have to meet the other pre-reqs though. Like you can't take Jotunbrud or Furious Charger (requires Human, from Damarra and Cormyr respectively) if you're an elf or dwarf.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    To be super technical, but being a Red Wizard and not being from Thay carries some severe repercussions in that particular setting. Just a warning to any characters you might build: avoid REAL Red Wizards.

EDIT: Yay, my fairly in-depth socio-political knowledge of the Realms pays off again!
    In fact, red wizards are mechanically inclined to be absolutely terrible people.

Run if you see one. It won't help, but at least you won't see the CL 40 spell that kills your poor fleshy sack.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

In fact, red wizards are mechanically inclined to be absolutely terrible people.

Run if you see one. It won't help, but at least you won't see the CL 40 spell that kills your poor fleshy sack.
    Ugh, that one time I caught Szass Tam drinking in a ****ty bar in Waterdeep was, well, let me tell you. If you see a lich drowning his sorrows in cheap ale, don't ask him what happened.

That was the longest week of being a frog I've ever had.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ohhh but when I was a frog I had to walk up hill both ways, and I failed both my saves so I didn't even know I wasn't a frog!
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-12-01 at 02:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Ohhh but when I was a frog I had to walk up hill both ways, and I failed both my saves so I didn't even know I wasn't a frog!
    See what I'm sayin'? The Red Wizzies, they'll polymorph a bitch if they havewant to.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This class is made of WIN, especially if you combine it with the nonracial Shadowcraft Mage. Pre-epic mythals :) Yay! And for the record...no frogs or humans were harmed in the making of this message. Only halfings and other vermin or vermin subtypes.
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I once subtyped a halfling so hard....

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

...its grandparents inherited the template?

Ahem... personally I'd find the alignment prerequisite (it's "any nongood", right?) more restrictive than having to play human, which barely counts as a restriction at all.

However, I'd say it's a prestige class that's very strong unless you're within arm's length of your DM, in which case CL-boosting Circle Magic shenanigans are likely to get shut down. It's one of those unfortunate classes whose chief strengths don't play well at a table. Of course, that depends on the nature of your game.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quarterling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    alignment prerequisite (it's "any nongood", right?)

However, I'd say it's a prestige class that's very strong unless you're within arm's length of your DM, in which case CL-boosting Circle Magic shenanigans are likely to get shut down. It's one of those unfortunate classes whose chief strengths don't play well at a table. Of course, that depends on the nature of your game.
    True in both cases.
    But even with a limited access to circle magic, the feature Spell Power is good.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Quarterling?
    Way to make me spray coffee everywhere right when I get to my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post

It's a lot like an Aes Sedai running into a girl that's only pretending - they're obligated to stop and make her life miserable even if they have urgent business to attend to

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

On the topic of Circle Magic, I thought I'd mention Halruaan Elder (Shining South), which also gets it, in addition to some Incantatrixesque goodies -without giving up anything in return.
    mmmmh silverbrow human wizard 5/incantatrix 10/halruaan elder 5, you are the ripe cheese on the dry crackers of wizardry.

Also, Hathran.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.