New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default (3.5) Destruction of a Psicrystal

This one here is quick and (hopefully) easy for someone here to help me solve. What happens when a Psicrystal gets destroyed when a Psion controls one, and how is a Psion able to get another one?

We were discussing this in my group tonight and no one was able to find a source that pointed towards a definitive answer. One suggested that you need to retake the feat to get a new crystal, but that seems a bit harsh to me.

Could someone help me out here? As always a reference to a book or online source would be appreciated.

-Koeldflare

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: (3.5) Destruction of a Psicrystal

As near as I can tell you just make a new one. Haven't found anything else on this subject.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

FAQ says simply that they "get a new one". Personally, I'd treat it like an Animal Companion.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The third party book Hyperconscious states in the description for the Detonate Psicrystal power that getting a new psicrystal takes 6 months and the psion suffers 2 points of Int damage until it's fixed. That might just be a side effect of blowing it up, tho...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

It's closer to a familiar in abilities and relation to the Psion. I'd apply similar penalties to a psion who loses his, but I don't think making a new one would be hard.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When a Psicrystal is destroyed, you lose the bonus based on the Psicrystal personality(-ies). You regain them when (or if) you get the Psicrystal back.

There are no rules for regaining a Psicrystal. You could read that as being able to get it back after a night of rest, after some extended downtime, or even that the destroyed Psicrystal is never capable of being regained.