A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Vigour and persist spell

If you use extend spell or persistent spell on vigour, does it continue to work after the stated limit of 15 rounds?
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Vigour and persist spell

The metamagic feats alter the duration, so yes. After all, it's possible to deal more than 30 damage with an Empowered Kelgore's Firebolt (which is 1d6 per caster level, max 5d6,) so it makes sense that a duration booster should lengthen beyond the maximum.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

No it doesn't as explicitly stated in the main FAQ:
    The vigor series of spells (CD) raise an interesting question. Does the built-in maximum duration of each spell limitation override the effect of the Extend Spell feat?
    Yes. Extend Spell still increases the spellís duration, but only up to the spellís listed maximum duration. Use either the normal maximum duration or the doubled duration, whichever is less. If a 7th-level druid used Extend Spell on her vigor spell, the duration could not increase beyond 25 rounds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

FAQ is meaningless in a RAW discussion. The only relevant material from WotC post-publication is errata.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
    No it doesn't as explicitly stated in the main FAQ:
    The quote implies that metamagic feats cannot break caster level caps.

Which results in the silly conclusion that empower doesn't work on fireball.

Unless they're saying extend spell is special in this regard?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

That FAQ ruling is utterly silly. Extend Spell does not "double duration to the same maximum", it "doubles duration". "1 round/level, maximum 25" doubled is "2 rounds/level, maximum 50". Similarly, Persistent Spell replaces the entire "Duration:" entry in a spell's header block, and that is where the maximum is stated. The maximum gets overridden just as completely as the "1 round/level" part of the line.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

That's... actually a rather weird response by the FAQ, since I think that means Extend spell in most cases doesn't /do/ anything, nor does Persist if it's taken to connect to that.

Huh. O_o
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    The quote implies that metamagic feats cannot break caster level caps.

Which results in the silly conclusion that empower doesn't work on fireball.

Unless they're saying extend spell is special in this regard?
    Empower doesn't increase the amount of dice. It increases the damage that each die does.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Empower doesn't increase the amount of dice. It increases the damage that each die does.
    Ok, so use the same logic with Energy Admixture. A Fire Admixed Fireball does not have the same 10d6 cap as a normal Fireball, it has a cap of 20d6. Anything else is absurd, yet that's the kind of "logic" that FAQ entry is endorsing.

Any metamagic feat that affects a particular aspect of a spell also affects any caps to that aspect in exactly the same way. The cap as listed is for the base unmodified spell, not for every conceivable metamagic modification as well.

Perhaps a better example would be Augment Healing. By the same logic as this FAQ entry, Cure Light Wounds cast by a level 5 cleric with Augment Healing would cure 1d8+5 hp rather than 1d8+7. I am quite certain that is neither RAW nor RAI.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-12-01 at 03:33 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A much simpler explanation is that the Vigor line might have a very specific restriction on its duration*. I don't have access to it at the moment, but can anyone check?

*As opposed to the normal type of restriction: You get Xd6 per CL (maximum Yd6)
    In this type of restriction, it's can easily read as a restriction on the normal progression of the spell. If you have a metamagic feat that said "all your spells that do damage do an additional 2d6 fire damage" I think it's fairly uncontroversial that a fireball could do 12d6 fire damage.

How does the restriction on Vigor read?
    Last edited by ocdscale; 2009-12-01 at 03:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep in mind, Extend Spell even works on Creeping Cold, which grows more powerful each round, so I see no reason it shouldn't work on Vigor.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ocdscale View Post
    Exactly the same as the one of Fireball's damage dice. "10 rounds + 1 round/level (max 25 rounds)"

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocdscale View Post
    Duration: 10 rounds + 1 round / level (max 15 rounds)

No mention in text apart from a no-stacking clause. (that 2nd casting overlaps duration)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Well, then this is quite peculiar. I can't think of a good argument why Extend Spell isn't permitted to exceed a 'soft' maximum spell duration like the one described.

The only argument for not permitting Extended Vigor I can think of is you have to just say "Duration is different," which isn't a great argument from a game mechanics standpoint.

Regardless of how the argument about Extend, I think douglas has an unassailable argument regarding Persistent Spell.

For what it's worth, I don't think Energy Admixture is a good counter example, although Augment Healing might be. Someone can argue "Fireball says the maximum is 10d6 fire damage, doing 10d6 fire and 10d6 sonic does not contradict that." Not that I think it's a great argument, but just throwing it out there. Edit: I thought Energy Admixture requires you add a different type of damage? Anyway, besides the point.
    Last edited by ocdscale; 2009-12-01 at 04:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

By RAW:

(10 Rounds + 1 round/level) is the duration.

(Max 15 rounds) is the maximum duration allowed.

So, we use extend.

(20 rounds + 2rounds/level) is the new duration.

(Max 15 rounds) is the maximum allowed.

Increasing current duration does not increase maximum.

Let's look at healing.

Say a spell cures 3d8+15 hp. The rolls yield a result of 28.
    It targets someone with 110 hp, and a max hp of 120.
    He heals to 120, not 138? Why? Because modifying a current statistic doesn't alter the maximums.

You can argue precedent from admixture, but admixture states that it works in that function in the example.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-01 at 04:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I really don't think that is a valid comparison. With a healing spell, the maximum is clearly separate from the quantity being altered. With Vigor, the maximum is a part of what is being altered.

Vigor's duration is not "10 rounds + 1 round/level" with a maximum of 25 rounds noted elsewhere, it is "10 rounds + 1 round/level (max 25)". The entire line, maximum included, is part of the duration description. That entire line, maximum included, is therefore what gets doubled by Extend Spell. That entire line, maximum included, is also what gets replaced by Persistent Spell.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-12-01 at 04:37 PM.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

FYI, if your goal is good combat healing, you might want to consider the Hellreaver PrC (Fiendish Codex II) which can heal 10, 20, or 30 hit points per round (depending on your Hellreaver level) to itself or any Good ally within a short range every round of combat as a Swift Action. The Crusader (Tome of Battle) also has a metric ton of various healing/DR/temporary hit point abilities.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

With that in mind, are Vigor and Mass Vigor good spells to DMM Persist?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grushvak View Post
    I believe they are decent.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Grushvak View Post
    In an arena? Maybe. In a campaign? If your DM allows it and has more than one or two encounters per day, they are among the best options available.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show