New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

smile Thoughts on ranged combat dwarf.

I'm thinking on making a ranged combat dwarf.
    I'll make him rely on STR and use brutal throw. When things get too messy i may switch to primarily using a sturdy axe. But other then that i'll keep my distance (as we already have a tank) and throw axes from the backlines.

We're staring at lvl2, so all ideas and advice will be appreciated

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on ranged combat dwarf.

Well, uh, Brutal Throw is a nice start and Quick Draw is practically a must. Other than that, you may want PBS > Rapid Shot for more crap to throw (or TWF line), Power Throw, Far Shot (notably useful with thrown weapons) and yeah...

Bloodstorm Blade [ToB] and Master Thrower [CW] are excellent classes to look into.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Definitely Warblade, into Bloodstorm Blade as soon as you can. Master Thrower after 4 levels of BB, then more Warblade for the delicious melee strikes that you can now do at range.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-12-01 at 01:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

... must need more coffee, I read the title and thought someone was planning on using a combat dwarf as a ranged weapon...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As a matter of fact i've thought of that.
    We had an elaborate plan involving a giant with enlarge person permantented and a very sturdy dwarf covered in spiky armor...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget dwarves are allowed to tumble in any armor, since it doesn't reduce their movement speed...
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-01 at 03:36 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Could a dwarf use Tumble mid-air to increase his 'range increment', as he tries to make himself more aerodynamic?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Of course the problem with ranged is that it's incredibly difficult to equal the same damage output as a melee class. This is doubled when you start looking at trying to use magical weapons to throw as a single +1 returning axe is not only >7k but you only get it on the return if you don't move. To help offset this think about grabbing some thrown stuff that acts as ammunition, like shuriken re-fluffed as light throwing knives. That way you can have 50+X weapons at the same cost as a single +X weapon. They may get destroyed 1/2 the times you throw them, but by that time you'll have moved on to better equipment anyways. There's a fairly extensive thread about this here.
    Nosce te ipsum

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ghashxx View Post
    Of course the problem with ranged is that it's incredibly difficult to equal the same damage output as a melee class. This is doubled when you start looking at trying to use magical weapons to throw as a single +1 returning axe is not only >7k but you only get it on the return if you don't move. To help offset this think about grabbing some thrown stuff that acts as ammunition, like shuriken re-fluffed as light throwing knives. That way you can have 50+X weapons at the same cost as a single +X weapon. They may get destroyed 1/2 the times you throw them, but by that time you'll have moved on to better equipment anyways. There's a fairly extensive thread about this here.
    Well, once you have your 4 bloodstorm blade levels, the returning thing is negligible at least.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I believe that Complete Scoundrel has a teleporting ability for weapons, so fingers crossed that it does.

Also, can we enchant the dwarf to be a +5 throwing teleporting combat dwarf in spiked full plate. We hire a few enlarged ogres and invite them to a game of dwarf tossing. If we need to sink a few ships, reset the owner to the man who did not come up with the plan. Then run like blazes in the other direction.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2009-12-01 at 06:06 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively, the Cragtop Archer is actually a pretty cool PRC.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    ... must need more coffee, I read the title and thought someone was planning on using a combat dwarf as a ranged weapon...
    So did I.

Actually, I once made a druid/hulking hurler/bloodstorm blade build who wildshaped into a giant bat and threw a fleshraker who had the Battle Jump feat and was under the effects of venomfire. Under one interpretation of Battle Jump, the fleshraker got to make a full attack every time it was thrown (and the druid could flurry with it).

I called it the Guren SEITEN.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-12-01 at 06:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Make him a monk/Kensai, and enchant him with throwing & returning. Then get throw anything.
    trill in da playground

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

There's a feat in Miniature' Handbook that allows you to throw a weapon on a charge (and then attack with your melee weapon at the end of the charge), that might be handy...