New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default What's with people wanting me to convert to 4e?

What's with people wanting me to convert to 4e? Since I can't sleep I decided to check my old e-mail and one of my old DMs sent me an invitations. In the e-mail it asks if I still dislike 4e and if so I should give it one more shot.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What's with people wanting me to convert to 4e?

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    What's with people wanting me to convert to 4e? Since I can't sleep I decided to check my old e-mail and one of my old DMs sent me an invitations. In the e-mail it asks if I still dislike 4e and if so I should give it one more shot.
    Could you not just ask your old DM? 4e is the current edition of D&D - some people like playing it, others do not. If someone does like playing it and also likes playing games with you it's fairly natural they would ask you to play it. I really don't see how the playground can give you insight into your question.

3. - Top - End - #3

Maybe your old DM just wants to play with you again but is running 4e so wishes you'd give it another shot so you could play together?

The reason most people want you to convert to their edition is so that they can play, talk about and just generally enjoy their favourite edition with one extra person, seems pretty straight forward to me. Can it be annoying? Yes. Is it meant with ill will? For the most part, no.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I think there is a difference between "wanting you convert to 4e" (which would be the case, if your normal gaming group wants to swicht systems) and "beeing invited to a 4e game" which is just nice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Or, really, the idea that one has to "convert" at all to play a certain edition, as if it were some kind of religion, seems a bit extreme. You make it sound like such a big and meaningful step, instead of playing a game which you could bow out of anytime anyways.

To answer your question, maybe it's because people like you and enjoy your company?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

IT'S A TRAP! He's been replaced witha brain leech from Neptune run for your liiiife!!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

7. - Top - End - #7

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    IT'S A TRAP! He's been replaced witha brain leech from Neptune run for your liiiife!!
    Shouldn't the IT's A TRAP! show a picture of the Admiral?

Anyway, I just have a strong disdain for the 4e, it's combination of "irrational" opinions of the power system mechanics and the belief I could ever get into character immersion.
    Last edited by Akisa; 2009-12-04 at 03:59 AM.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Because your friends like it, and want you to play with them, I guess.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

People in black suits are always seen around your house, they have an unfashionable hat with 4E all over it and they stalk you at night right? Someone threw a 4 shaped brick through your window. You are blackmailed that if you won't convert to the right way, your affair with 3.5e will be revealed to the public and you will be forced to live in a 3 shaped igloo.. Don't call the police, they are in on it. You are probably going to be hunted by zombies, in packs of 4. Give up!
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Your old DM obviously hates you. You should egg his house.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    You are probably going to be hunted by zombies, in packs of 4.
    Isn't it survivors that come in groups of four?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Obviously it is impossible to like more than one version of D&D. If you like one, you must violently dislike all others for not being the one true D&D. At least, this is what I gather from reading internet arguments.

The internet may be subject to unnecessary hyperbole and is not to be fully trusted without confirmation from a qualified physician.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

... a strong disdain for the 4e; it's combination of "irrational" opinions power system mechanics and the belief I could ever get into character immersion.
    I'll admit that I am currently inebriated. However, as many times as I read this sentence, I can't make heads or tails out of that statement. "It's combination of "irrational" opinions power system mechanics" is very confusing to me. What do you mean by "irrational opinions power system mechanics"?

14. - Top - End - #14

Shouldn't the IT's A TRAP! show a picture of the Admiral?

Anyway, I just have a strong disdain for the 4e, it's combination of "irrational" opinions of the power system mechanics and the belief I could ever get into character immersion.
    Then don't play. Why would you bring this onto the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I'll admit that I am currently inebriated. However, as many times as I read this sentence, I can't make heads or tails out of that statement. "It's combination of "irrational" opinions power system mechanics" is very confusing to me. What do you mean by "irrational opinions power system mechanics"?
    It's missing a comma or two, I suspect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Come play with us" ≠ convert

I play 4E because my friends like it. I prefer 3.5 in almost every way, but playing 4E hasn't "converted" me--if anything, it's given me a clearer appreciation for just what was great about 3.5. And frankly, I have plenty of fun with my friends no matter what we're playing.

All I can say is this: go into a game with an open mind. The internet has bred so much 4E vs. 3.5E animosity that I don't think people are seeing the real picture clearly. If your friend wants to play with you again, should it really matter what version he wants to use?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, if I had my way, I'd play ADnD all the time, but us old timers have to settle for what's available. I play 4e because it's what everyone around here is playing. Gaming is gaming is gaming. If I found a RIFTS or HARP or GURPS group that I enjoyed hanging out with, I'd learn to play those games. Is it worth giving up a fun gaming group just to "stick to your guns?" IMHO, the answer to that is a loud and resounding NO.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Livor View Post
    Obviously it is impossible to like more than one version of D&D. If you like one, you must violently dislike all others for not being the one true D&D. At least, this is what I gather from reading internet arguments.

The internet may be subject to unnecessary hyperbole and is not to be fully trusted without confirmation from a qualified physician.
    It is allowed to have agreeable nostalgic feelings for older editions, but if so you aren't allowed to play them while supporting your current edition.

Also I'm going with "they probably want to play with you" theory. They don't really care if you dislike 4ed, nor do they really care if you reconnect with the current edition in a very special D&D session, they want to hang with their homey.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-12-04 at 06:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

In OP's defence: assuming the paraphrasing is reasonably accurate, then what was asked was something approximating "if I still dislike 4e and if so I should give it one more shot". In other words, if she doesn't like 4e, then she ought to play with them in an attempt to like it. Which does kinda smack of trying to convert her, rather than just wanting to play a game with her.

But... we can't really know, eh?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    In OP's defence: assuming the paraphrasing is reasonably accurate, then what was asked was something approximating "if I still dislike 4e and if so I should give it one more shot". In other words, if she doesn't like 4e, then she ought to play with them in an attempt to like it. Which does kinda smack of trying to convert her, rather than just wanting to play a game with her.

But... we can't really know, eh?
    To me it sounded more like if she would have liked 4e already, she would have been playing with them already, but she is not, so she should try again...
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If you were to go out and buy a D&D book from a major retailer, you'd probably buy 4th edition books.

A few years ago, it would have been 3.x.

Well before that came out, you'd have purchased a number of books that weren't clearly labeled as being any edition whatsoever, all you knew is that AD&D was better than D&D and so you bought it.

And some time before I was born, if you were into wargaming but wanted to put some emphasis on a particular character, well, some dude named Gygax had a product that was right up your alley- if you could find a copy.

Editions are only important insofar as they involve learning a ruleset and being okay with a certain approach to gaming. Everything else- good DMing, players who invest in the game, epic storylines...

...are completely independent of system. Take advantage of that. Someone suggests world of darkness and you end up as a storyteller after only DMing D&D? Grand opportunity! If you're as eclectic as I am, there is no shortage of ideas that either didn't come across right in another game or would have been foolish to attempt, and now is your chance.

On a side note, I'm personally only looking for either 4th or 2nd edition games- 3.x has been played out for right now.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Everything else- good DMing, players who invest in the game, epic storylines...

...are completely independent of system.
    I disagree. A system that presents tools and advice to a prospective GM, will make for better gaming than one that says little to nothing about it. So long as the advice is good, anyway.
    That isn't to say rules-light systems can't be good... but I wouldn't call the lack of a feature, a defining feature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Your mates have found a new toy they like, and want to share their happiness. Like all weird little ingroups, they can't quite grasp that someone simply doesn't want to join in with their focus of obsession (Wow/D&D nE/LARP/Roshambo/C&B torture/flying saucer suicide cult).

Don't worry, they're 99% likely not to be evil, old edition-burning stooges of the Dark Empire of WOTC.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-12-04 at 08:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Hey, if I had my way, I'd play ADnD all the time, but us old timers have to settle for what's available. I play 4e because it's what everyone around here is playing. Gaming is gaming is gaming. If I found a RIFTS or HARP or GURPS group that I enjoyed hanging out with, I'd learn to play those games. Is it worth giving up a fun gaming group just to "stick to your guns?" IMHO, the answer to that is a loud and resounding NO.
    Pretty much this.

Boo-hoo OP, people are inviting you to play a game with them. It must be so horrible knowing someone wants you around and you don't smell awful.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Boo-hoo OP, people are inviting you to play a game with them. It must be so horrible knowing someone wants you around and you don't smell awful.
    Thanks, you just made my day better. I literally lol'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wormwood View Post
    Don't drink the Kool-Aid!
    but she's already playing 3rd ed... ba-dump-bump-psh!

i'm here all night folks! don't drink the punch it's been spiked with hate and bile like none the abyss has seen before (who's the jerk what put a FATAL book in it anyways?)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono22 View Post
    I disagree. A system that presents tools and advice to a prospective GM, will make for better gaming than one that says little to nothing about it. So long as the advice is good, anyway.
    That isn't to say rules-light systems can't be good... but I wouldn't call the lack of a feature, a defining feature.
    You're not disagreeing, you're making a separate point, which is valid to a certain extent.

Saying system A is good for new DMs and system B is hard for them to learn may be important to you, but it's also wholly subjective. There's a very real chance that either it's not true for other groups or is simply irrelevant. Everything else you said has the same degree of truth for you and possible lack thereof for others.

The things I pointed out- DM talent, Player Investment, and storylines which are epic in scope, can't be helped by the best system ever invented, and can't be held back even if the game is complete garbage. If you seriously think that your DM is worse simply for playing a game which you don't like, you and I don't operate on the same rules of reality, and so there's no point talking back and forth.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    We have a guy similar to this in my group. Ideally, he'd be playing 2nd ed, or d6 Star Wars; but he plays with us because he enjoys the game regardless of the mechanics. (and because he has the best DM ever. )

He (Mark Hall here on the boards) actually refuses to admit that 4E is really d&d; since his test to decide if something is d&d is: "Can a housecat kill a 1st level wizard?" Which is no longer true in 4E.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'd like to chime in with the people who say you can play 4E without thinking it's a very good system.

I'm playing in a 4E game very, very heavily houseruled, and the system is still kind of meh, but a group's a group, you know.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh. People learning of something awesome and then trying to spread the word is not something I'd grant much anger. I mean, sure, it's annoying, but hey... if that's your worst problem, you've got it good.

Tell your GM that yeah, you still hate 4ed, you still don't feel like trying it out, but if he ever starts up a 3.5 game, you're there.
    Unless you really don't want to game with him.

In which case the problem, of course, is something else entirely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.