Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Team Name Undecided! (Let's Play Blood Bowl)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Won't we need reserves for the inevitable casualties that'll occur during the season, or is that just how I used to play Blood Bowl?
    Well, I guess there will be, but we're not a Skaven team or something like that. And I'm sure there'll be more people who want to become a part of this.

(Too bad Ogres aren't in the game. Given the usual Snotling turnover rate, potatocubed could fit the entire forum into one season.)

Also, being head cheerleader (I'm head cheerleader because I'm the only one) means I'll remain in the game no matter what.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Playground Giants for the Cup! (Let's Play Blood Bowl)

Alright, so I've signed my team of talentless volunteers up for something called 'The Clean Cup'. Apparently it's the tournament for teams looking to make a name for themselves. We've got no skills and no fans, and I'm not sure this guy who calls himself a doctor has really been to medical school. At least, I've never seen someone try to close a wound with nails before. It looks like it's all going to be down to my brilliant leadership. Take a look at this lot:

Spoiler
    Show

I found a passing Bugman's salesman and managed to raise enough money to hire a local girl to cheer for us. The gods only know we're going to need all the help we can get. All I had to do was promise the dwarf that we'd advertise his caustic brew and win three out of our four next games. Piece of cake, right?

Our first match was arranged and, given the choice between going up against humans or lizard men, I picked the Bright Crusaders. Might as well ease these guys in gently by throwing them against some other human beings first. It turns out that this entire tournament takes place in a field. Not a stadium. Not a town square. A field. Maybe ten people showed up to watch.

Spoiler
    Show

The coin was tossed. We won! A good omen, I thought. The Crusaders kicked off, the whistle blew, and this happened:

Spoiler
    Show

Like an army of ninjas, a hundred Bright Crusaders fans melted out of the haystacks, bundled onto the pitch and kicked the living tar out of my team. I've never seen anything like it: I'll be hearing the sound of boots on flesh in my nightmares for weeks.

Knuckles and Sir Alexander did a good job of covering the ball and moving it away from the other team while the rest of them staggered back to their feet. Narazil went sprinting upfield like he does and Jibar showed some promise by punching out one of the opposition. We were under pressure, but holding our own. It was at this moment that everything started to go wrong:

Spoiler
    Show

Anonomuss and Knuckles cleared some space. All Jibar had to do was take the ball from Xeper, run clear, and lob it as far up the pitch as he could.

He dropped it.

Xeper put the ball into his hands and he dropped it.

That led to this - note the total absence of Giants in the vicinity:

Spoiler
    Show

And that led to their first touchdown. Knuckles and Sir Alexander almost caught him, but almost wasn't good enough. Without much time left in the first half I decided to arrange our 'aristocracy' on the front line and see how much damage they could do. The answer, it turned out, was 'some'. Between them, Sir Alexander, Knuckles, and Balthazar von Zeppenbaum managed to knock out another four of the Bright Crusaders. Anonomuss put the boot solidly into a fifth who was foolishly lying down on the pitch but the referee happened to be looking his way at the time and sent him off.

At half time I handed round some rocks - I couldn't afford any oranges - and shouted abuse at the players until I thought they were motivated enough to do some harm in the second half. We traipsed out onto the pitch and I was shocked to see that all the players we had managed to knock out in the first half were back on their feet! I don't know what the Crusaders had in their water barrel, but I want some.

The second half started well. There was violence. There were more knockouts on both sides. Their thrower got confused and started running towards his own end zone. Narazil, Anegram and 'Macadamia' Fullbladder were happy to pursue him:

Spoiler
    Show

While half his team ran around like headless chickens and the inestimable duo of Alexander and Knuckles laid waste to the line of scrimmage like pillaging norsemen, the trio descended upon the helpless thrower. Who turned out to be coated with grease:

Spoiler
    Show

How did he do that? Luckily Alexander and Knuckles were on hand to put a stop to his run, with some able assistance from Macadamia Fullbladder. Sadly, the thrower's tackle-slipping grease had covered the ball and the next several minutes were spent in a giant fistfight with no one able to keep their hands on the ball. Finally, it popped out of the scrum:

Spoiler
    Show

Pay careful attention to Jibar in the bottom right-hand corner. Now look at what happened next:

Spoiler
    Show

The ball is in mid-pass, heading towards our end zone for the Crusaders' second touchdown. The guy you can see flat on his back after massaging his opponent's fist with his face is Jibar.

After that it was all over. Literally. There was just enough time to receive the ball one more time, for the aristocracy to work over the Crusaders' front line once again, and for Sir Alexander to successfully catch a pass from Istari, who replaced Anonomuss as thrower.

What a travesty. Head Assistant Coach Likely! I want to see some intensive training in 'Fighting' and 'Picking Up The Ball For Beginners' this week. Or perhaps some kind of glue we can apply to the players' gloves.

Rumour has it that our next match is against some wimpy elves. Perhaps that'll be just the thing to restore the lads' fighting spirit...
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

*facepalm*

Yes!
    I suck!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Anonomuss put the boot solidly into a fifth who was foolishly lying down on the pitch but the referee happened to be looking his way at the time and sent him off.
    [Hands in pockets whistling]
    Wasn't me. Honest.
    [/Hands in pockets whistling]

Istari, who replaced Anonomuss as thrower.
    And I'm already obsolete, huzzah! Survival for all!
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2009-12-05 at 05:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    *facepalm*

Yes!
    I suck!
    And how! (More than) ten characters!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

By the sounds of it, Sir Alexander, Knuckles and Balthazar von Zeppenbaum pulled their weight pretty good for a bunch of rank amateurs Rookies. Go us!

I have to say, I really like the idea of the coach deciding to "Send in the Aristocracy" in order to sort out the problems on the front line. That's almost a slogan - we coud put it on T-Shirts and sell it and everything!

Out of curiosity, what does our Team look like on the Roster? I thought it's something like this, but have no idea if it adds up or not:

Spoiler
    Show
    Istari - Starting Thrower
    Anonomuss - Linesman/Second Thrower

Onimaru - Blitzer
    "Sir" Alexander Leccancia - Blitzer

Anegram "long-legs" Fribin - Catcher
    Narazil - Catcher

The Honorable Spencer "Knuckles" Montagu, the 28th Earl of Sandwich - Linesman/"Fixer"
    Jibar - Linesman
    Johnny Blade - Linesman
    Heinrich "NOT IN THE FACE" Carmine - Linesman
    ObadiahtheSlim - Linesman
    Finn 'Xeper' Dandrich - Linesman
    Dominic L. Rapture - Linesman

Balthazar von Zeppenbaum - Blocker
    Mister "Various" Fullbladder - Blocker
    Putis Bile-tongue - Blocker

chiasaur11 - Assistant Coach
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-05 at 06:10 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #37

Man, I really wish I could have been on the pitch

[mumbling]yesmilordeverythingisgoingasyouhaveforseen[/mumbling]
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xeper's quote of the match

"ohgodsohgodsohgodsIgottheballgetitaway...
    YOU DROPPED THAT?"

9. - Top - End - #39

Yay! I contributed

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, don't blame me. I warned you about the shove, and you still went up against a team like the Crusaders on their home territory?

I did what I could. Some things you can't teach.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

First match and no fatalities yet? I'm disappointed...

Nice attempt there by Anonomuss, but next time try stamping a little less obviously and sharpening your studs a little more. I find these to be about the minimum sharpness required.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does our Team look like on the Roster? I thought it's something like this, but have no idea if it adds up or not:

Spoiler
    Show
    Istari - Starting Thrower
    Anonomuss - Linesman/Second Thrower

Onimaru - Blitzer
    "Sir" Alexander Leccancia - Blitzer

Anegram "long-legs" Fribin - Catcher
    Narazil - Catcher

The Honorable Spencer "Knuckles" Montagu, the 28th Earl of Sandwich - Linesman/"Fixer"
    Jibar - Linesman
    Johnny Blade - Linesman
    Heinrich "NOT IN THE FACE" Carmine - Linesman
    ObadiahtheSlim - Linesman
    Finn 'Xeper' Dandrich - Linesman
    Dominic L. Rapture - Linesman

Balthazar von Zeppenbaum - Blocker
    Mister "Various" Fullbladder - Blocker
    Putis Bile-tongue - Blocker

chiasaur11 - Assistant Coach
    I was under the impression we were all linesmen with delusions of grandeur towards other positions.

12. - Top - End - #42

I vote we name all match plans against Elves as "Operation: Beat the Pansies" :-D

13. - Top - End - #43

Griffon

That would make things.... hard. Still, I've heard of worse ideas fora Team...

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Hey, don't blame me. I warned you about the shove, and you still went up against a team like the Crusaders on their home territory?

I did what I could. Some things you can't teach.
    Fun fact of the day: In the canon for the board game, the Bright Crusaders took that name because they never, ever, ever cheat or play dirty. They are the most honourable, honest and rule-abiding Team in the entire history of Blood Bowl.

And as such, they have never won a single game. Until now, anyway.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Fun fact of the day: In the canon for the board game, the Bright Crusaders took that name because they never, ever, ever cheat or play dirty. They are the most honourable, honest and rule-abiding Team in the entire history of Blood Bowl.

And as such, they have never won a single game. Until now, anyway.
    Well aside from that one game where the Bright lads turned up in shiny new uniforms and their elven opponents refused to play because they didn't have new uniforms.

15. - Top - End - #45

Seems like I'm extremely good at trying.

Awesome.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, what Brother Oni said is true - all the players are linemen. That said, the roles that people have picked break down something like this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anonomuss - Starting Thrower. Although at the moment he's throwing more punches than balls. He seems to always end up in just the right place for a quick block or opportunistic foul, so... why not? He did get a couple of passes in during the last match but no SPP for them because of fumbles.

Istari - Backup Thrower/Runner.

Onimaru - Blitzer, in theory. Watch the next game writeup for details.

"Sir" Alexander Leccancia - Blitzer.

Anegram "Long-Legs" Fribin - Catcher.

Narazil - Catcher.

The Honorable Spencer "Knuckles" Montagu, the 28th Earl of Sandwich - Blocker and Designated Fouler.

Jibar - Linesman and Designated Victim.

Johnny Blade - Linesman Head Cheerleader. Currently the only cheerleader.

Heinrich "NOT IN THE FACE" Carmine - Linesman.

Obadiah the Slim - Linesman.

Finn 'Xeper' Dandrich - Linesman.

Dominic L. Rapture - Blocker.

Balthazar von Zeppenbaum - Blocker.

"Random" Fullbladder - Blocker.

Putis Bile-tongue - Blocker and Backup Fouler.

chiasaur11 - Assistant Coach Trev Likely.

Honestly, the only distinction between linesmen and blockers at the moment is that the blockers are being more successful at punching face, while the linesmen are doing all sorts.

Anyway, just got done with the second match. Operation: Beat the Pansies was... well, you'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2009-12-06 at 04:32 PM.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

So, I've been hired between games 1 & 2 if I'm seeing it right?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The cheerleader was hired before game 1 with sponsorship cash. I also had a lineman called Johnny Blade in the first couple of games because I thought you wanted to be a lineman.

Also: Does anyone know how to link to specific posts? I want to start making an index in the first post.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

The cheerleader was hired before game 1 with sponsorship cash. I also had a lineman called Johnny Blade in the first couple of games because I thought you wanted to be a lineman.
    Ah...I thought you hadn't started when I changed my mind.
    Hope I at least wasn't good.

Also: Does anyone know how to link to specific posts? I want to start making an index in the first post.
    That small number in the upper right corner of your post is a direkt link to the post and nothing else.
    If you want to link to where the post is in the thread...well, easier to make a screenshot (with subtle hints):
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-12-06 at 05:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd had Trev pushing the guys hard all week. Running up and down, throwing and catching, wrestling starving wolves, the works. I'd got some reliable info that our opponents - the elven Bramble Blockers - had spent the week sitting around sipping wine and reciting poetry. They were the only team in the competition worse off than we were, so I reckoned this was going to go well. The only drawback was that because the elves had picked the same team colour as us, we would be wearing white.

I decided to open the match with the aristocracy on the front line, Narazil and Long Legs on the flanks, Anonomuss as lead thrower, and give some pitch time to the guys who didn't make it on against the Crusaders. As the pansy elves skipped onto the pitch I was feeling confident.

My good feeling wavered a bit when a treeman followed them on.

Spoiler
    Show

My good feeling collapsed completely when, seconds after stepping onto the pitch for the first time, Onimaru was struck in the head by a thrown rock and had to be stretchered off again.

The remains of my good feeling festered and reanimated as some sort of feculence creature when the treeman and a few of his helpers proceeded to obliterate what was left of the front line.

Spoiler
    Show

I didn't have to be a doctor to see that Alexander and Knuckles weren't going to be back on for this match. I left them to the actual doc and his unrivalled collection of surgical tools; I had a match to pull back from the brink of defeat. Again.

Full of confidence, the elves had run their thrower forward. I sent in Dominic Rapture. Bit of a quiet type, him, in the sense of "I don't know why he murdered all those people and used their limbs as croquet mallets - he was always so quiet". He managed to make the thrower let go of the ball, at least:

Spoiler
    Show

There followed a huge fight. The treeman had at least taken root in the middle of the pitch, but the elves were a lot better in a scrum than I thought they'd be, knocking out my players all over the place. There was a brief ray of hope when Balthazar, aided by Obadiah and Putis, managed to put down the ball carrier and sieze the ball. Obadiah even managed to trip the elven wardancer with a classic 'stick your leg out and hope' manouevre.

It was too little, too late, though: we were so badly outnumbered by this point that it was easy for the elves to take the ball back, and this soon followed:

Spoiler
    Show

So many of the Giants had been knocked out or wounded in the first half I was running short of players. Short of good players, anyway. I was going to have to play Jibar again.

I showed the survivors what the doc was doing to Knuckles and hoped the blood and screams would inspire them not to be on the receiving end of elven fists so much. The whistle blew. It was time to equalise OR DIE TRYING.

Anonomuss grabbed the ball and started moving it upfield, guarded by anyone who wasn't busy battering elves. Jibar... well, Jibar had a very special mission. Operation: Distract The Treeman got off to a flying start.

Spoiler
    Show

Things got better! Putis, finding himself face to face with an elf, opened the casualty sheet for the Playground Giants with a blinding headbutt. Not literally blinding, more's the pity, but it was a good start.

Spoiler
    Show

Even better!

Spoiler
    Show

He's a funny little man, but I knew he had to be good for something.

Let my joy be unbounded! Not wanting to be outdone by Putis, Dominic actually murdered the man standing next to him!

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think I approve of what he did with the intestines afterwards, but before I could tell him off Narazil distracted me with a strange dance in the Bramble Blockers' end zone:

Spoiler
    Show

Alright. One-all and plenty of time to murder our way to the ball and carry it home. Jibar kept up a masterful distraction of the treeman, refusing to so much as fall over when punched at least half of the time.

Putis had a tempting array of bodies to stick the boot into:

Spoiler
    Show

But in the end he chose the guy with the ball.

Spoiler
    Show

On the other side of the pitch, Fullbladder took on the wardancer and lost. Oh, how he lost. I haven't seen a body that floppy since the Chaos All-Stars staged an exhibition match against an orphanage. At least, I think it was an exhibition match. It might have just been a fight.

In any case, the doc reckons he can fix it. Something he brewed up out of troll urine, he says. Fullbladder didn't want to drink it, so I helped hold him down.

Bad mistake.

While I wasn't paying attention the elf thrower snatched up the ball, slung it the complete width of the pitch into the hands of the very wardancer who had laid Fullbladder low:

Spoiler
    Show

Her dance was even stranger than Narazil's and, worse, was happening in our end zone.

And that was the end of that. Accursed last-minute touchdowns aside, we did better than in the previous match:

Spoiler
    Show

The only team left for us to play in this competition are the lizards. Unlike elves and humans these guys come ready-equipped with claws and teeth, so this week's training will be focussed on Playing While Suffering From a Fatal Mauling. Someone find those starving wolves again...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join up if you need to replace someone:
    Silent "I swear it wasn't my fault" Dragon
    Lineman with durability abilities

I'd never heard of this game before but it looks awesome.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

We lost.

To Elves.

To a team that, if they played Blood Bowl in the amateur leagues, would have somehow died before they even started playing. I mean, I'll do what I can, but there's limits to what coaching can do.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

23. - Top - End - #53

Oh boy. We've been doing good so far on the causualities so far. Might not stay that way next match.

*Awoooooo!*

They're coming! Run guys, run!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

2 matches in and I'm already some sort of Curse.

A surprisingly long lived Curse.

This makes me so happy.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    2 matches in and I'm already some sort of Curse.

A surprisingly long lived Curse.

This makes me so happy.
    Trust me, next match you score the winning touchdown, are voted MVP and get a stat increase.

The match after that some fan throws a stone and you die.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-12-06 at 06:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

can you have an ogre? id love to be an ogre that squishes the poncy skirt wearing elves!!.........

if not, id like to throw in a good blitzer. any skills you feel apropreate, throw them on to a linesman to make a decent blitzer. ill think of a name soon im sure... so watch this space.

i have the bloodbowl game, is surprisingly faithful to the boardgame. i usually end up playing goblins, because its the best feeling in the world to simply run up and chainsaw everybody down, then send a fanatic to bowl everyone else over, while a troll throws the ball carying goblin for a touchdown, absolutely hilarious.. usually lose though
    Last edited by littlebottom; 2009-12-06 at 07:18 PM.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

27. - Top - End - #57

Griffon

I was going to ask what you were talking about - Knuckles and Balthazaar were both knocked out, but Sir Alexander wasn't lying down on the job, no sir!

And then I noticed the ominously red stain and the conspicuously human-shaped hole in the turf in front of the Treeman.....

Spoiler
    Show
    ....Not one of my better days. Nurse!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-06 at 07:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Pay no attention to the severed limbs and heads I have in my locker please.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Rapture View Post
    Pay no attention to the severed limbs and heads I have in my locker please.
    Trying not to.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you guys still need an apothecary? (Translation: After that last game I refuse to go within five yards of an opposing lineman)
    Last edited by Bucky; 2009-12-06 at 09:33 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.