Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Playground Giants for the Cup! (Let's Play Blood Bowl)

Seeing as the bodies are going to start piling up rather quickly around these parts, I am willing to put my own flesh on the line. Lord Mario reporting for training, sirs. Seem to be a good replacement for the Aristocracy, once they start getting put down.
    Last edited by Darth Mario; 2009-12-06 at 09:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Anonomuss - Starting Thrower. Although at the moment he's throwing more punches than balls. He seems to always end up in just the right place for a quick block or opportunistic foul, so... why not? He did get a couple of passes in during the last match but no SPP for them because of fumbles.
    I Love it! Thrower can't make a single pass! ((Maybe I should change my skills to something like "Hail Mary Pass")). Roll on game number 3.

I found a passing Bugman's salesman and managed to raise enough money to hire a local girl to cheer for us. The gods only know we're going to need all the help we can get. All I had to do was promise the dwarf that we'd advertise his caustic brew and win three out of our four next games. Piece of cake, right?

Wait, we didn't meet our promise to our sponsor. What does this mean? Pay them back what little money they gave us? Repossession of our cheerleader? Disbanded before the efforts of the pansy elves?

Oh, the suspense!! (At least no-one has died yet)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

My good feeling collapsed completely when, seconds after stepping onto the pitch for the first time, Onimaru was struck in the head by a thrown rock and had to be stretchered off again.
    D'oh!

Note to self; next time, wear better headgear and less time sharpening studs and looking around garden centres for undetectable weedkiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonomuss View Post
    Oh, the suspense!! (At least no-one has died yet)
    More's the pity.

I'm all for brutality and mindless shocking violence meted out arbitrarily, but I think coach would prefer it meted out on the other team rather than spread around liberally.

Edit: Ooops, missed the wood elf casualty and the fatality during the match. Must have been the blow to the head...
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2009-12-07 at 08:11 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Edit: Ooops, missed the wood elf casualty and the fatality during the match. Must have been the blow to the head...
    Nah. You were awake for it, if looking a little woozy. No-one really noticed though. Apart from the Ref, who yelled something like "Teach those pansy elves a lesson!"

Although I question the letting of a treeman onto the field. I'm sure there are rules against that. Right?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xp194 View Post

Although I question the letting of a treeman onto the field. I'm sure there are rules against that. Right?
    Rules? In Blood Bowl? Surely you jest!
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

There have indeed been several attempts to put an end to the admission of ogres, trolls, treemen and the like. It usually led to the election of a new rules board shortly thereafter.

(I said usually because of this time 27 years ago when nobody could be moved to stand for election for half a year. Might have had something to do with a few heads on pikes being all that remained of the board's offices.)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I've added Littlebottom in place of Johnny Blade the lineman, making way for Johnny Blade the cheerleader. Bucky is now the official doctor.

Next match should be coming tomorrow!

EDIT: Also, while changing Blade's name to Littlebottom I noticed that Onimaru, despite not playing in one match and spending the whole of the other unconscious, has won an MVP award and has 5 SPP.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2009-12-07 at 06:49 PM.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Blood Bowl is all about dying in an entertaining way, so it does make sense.

Kinda.

Just by the way, are there set graphics for cheerleaders? If so, can you post a picture?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

There *are* graphics for the Cheerleaders:
    Spoiler
    Show

Admittedly those are Dark- and Wood Elves respectively, rather than Human, but all of the different races have 2 things in common....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-08 at 06:17 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Also, while changing Blade's name to Littlebottom I noticed that Onimaru, despite not playing in one match and spending the whole of the other unconscious, has won an MVP award and has 5 SPP.
    Ah, so my intimidation 5am visit to the referee worked then!

A reward and xp - what more can you ask for?

Edit: Does that mean that Johnny Blade is actually a Johanna Blade, or will he be cross dressing?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2009-12-08 at 07:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Admittedly those are Dark- and Wood Elves respectively, rather than Human, but all of the different races have 2 things in common....
    That one on the left is a wood elf wardancer (one of the best - and most expensive - starting players you can get). The one on the right is a wood elf cheerleader. The dark elf cheerleaders are witch elves, with bride-of-Frankenstein stripes in their hair and pompoms with built-in knives.

And not all the races have those things in common. In fact, I think it's just humans, elves and chaos. Lizardmen get skinks with rattles, orcs get squig-riding goblins, and I don't know about skaven, dwarves or goblins.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2009-12-08 at 07:26 AM.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

And not all the races have those things in common. In fact, I think it's just humans, elves and chaos. Lizardmen get skinks with rattles, orcs get squig-riding goblins, and I don't know about skaven, dwarves or goblins.
    I forget, are orcs in warhammer like 40k orks in that they're actually amublatory fungi which reproduce asexually, or do display sexual dimorphism (there are girl orcs)?

I definately remember female orc cheerleaders (there models for them in the back of a White Dwarf), but I'm not sure what their biology is currently and whether it's been retconned.

Dwarvern cheerleaders were basically the same shape as normal dwarves, but they don't have beards.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

That one on the left is a wood elf wardancer (one of the best - and most expensive - starting players you can get). The one on the right is a wood elf cheerleader. The dark elf cheerleaders are witch elves, with bride-of-Frankenstein stripes in their hair and pompoms with built-in knives.
    I'll be honest with you. I wasn't looking at their uniforms or their hair.

(Thanks for correcting me though - it was the first picture I found on Google, so I wasn't really trying very hard. I save all my enthusiasm for on the Pitch! )

They all have one pom-pom-thing in each of their two hands. What did you think I was talking about...?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-12-08 at 08:55 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    There *are* graphics for the Cheerleaders:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, I see. I was kinda hoping that it would be like Chaos League, where the cheerleaders were picked at random for each match.

Because...

Does that mean that Johnny Blade is actually a Johanna Blade, or will he be cross dressing?
    Of course I will be. I wanted to be a dwarven transvestite, actually. I'd still like to, but that would mean no screenshots of my ravishing performances, I guess.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

(You may note that I forgot to turn on names for most of the match. Oops.)

Now, if you were a curious sort you might wonder what a lizardman team, whose home is on the other side of an uncrossable ocean filled with sea serpents, elves and other monsters, might be doing in a field in the Old World. Well, I can tell you: It's the power of Blood Bowl! You go where the balls take you.

Now, how to react to lizardmen is pretty simple. First, check if the other player is bigger or smaller than you. If he's bigger, get away from him. If he's smaller, punch him. Easy. It's a pretty good rule of thumb on any Blood Bowl pitch, really, but it gets a bit complicated with dwarves.

Sadly one of my big hitters, Sir Alexander, got injured in training. Perhaps telling the team to pick bar fights as a way of toughening up was a bad idea. Well, too late now. We'd just have to play this week without him. I replaced him up front with Dominic Rapture, who seemed to be handy with his fists, and gave Onimaru another chance on the near flank.

Anyway, no nasty surprises this time as we filed onto the pitch. Just several big lizards and a whole mess of little ones. We won the toss and opted to receive. The ball went skywards, and the match was on!

I opened my eyes after a couple of minutes, expecting to find my whole team dead, and was pleasantly surprised! The slinky skinks seemed to be no match for the tripping foot of Anonomuss and the little lizards crumpled like dry leaves if you so much as looked at them funny. Anegram didn't bother dodging through their lines - he just spindled the skink who got in his way:

Spoiler
    Show

And that set the pace for the rest of the team. The aristocracy recruited some help and took down the big lizards with the old "You two hold his arms and I'll kick him in the nads!" routine. I don't know if the lizards have nads, but they went down all the same. Still, it wasn't long before Anonomuss was under pressure.

Spoiler
    Show

A few savage beatings later, and Onimaru was sprinting up the pitch unopposed! I made a mental note to find the rock-thrower from the last game and have him killed.

Spoiler
    Show

Elsewhere on the pitch, things weren't going so well. Balthazar took on one of the big lizards without enough of an advantage and the creature disembowelled him! The blood! The gore! I swear I saw it eat some of his organs before we could get him off the pitch.

"No problem!" shrieked Doc Bucky. "I have just the parts for this!"

I have no idea how he did it, but Balthazar will play again. In fact, he got right back on the pitch, which is a hell of an achievement for a man with no liver.

Meanwhile, Istari was busy doing exactly the same thing to the opposition. I don't think he ate any parts of the fallen, but Dominic seems to have that well under control.

Spoiler
    Show

Seconds later, Onimaru scored!

Spoiler
    Show

These victory dances get stranger every time.

There was still plenty of time left in the first half so we kicked off to the lizards. One of the small lizards picked up the ball, then Obadiah the Slim punched him straight into the infirmary. The ball was free! But wait! Who was that enigmatic masked man in just the right place?

Spoiler
    Show

I knew I kept him around for a reason.

Elsewhere on the pitch, Knuckles rounded up some other teammates and put the boot so far in it came out the other side.

Spoiler
    Show

He managed to put the big lizard off the pitch for the rest of the game, but the referee saw the whole thing and sent him off. From a safe distance.

But who cares?

Spoiler
    Show

2-0! It was like a beautiful dream. I pinched a spectator to see if he woke up, just to make sure.

As we kicked off again, I couldn't help but notice that the opposition were running low on players.

Spoiler
    Show

The match progressed much like this: we kicked the ball to the lizards, then we kicked the lizards. Early in the second half, things looked much like this:

Spoiler
    Show

Note all the prone players and the scrawny ball-carrier surrounded by Giants. Then, somehow, things suddenly looked like this:

Spoiler
    Show

It was the same trick that the Crusaders' thrower had pulled! The same trick that the elves' thrower had pulled to score that game-winning touchdown! How does this keep happening?

I ground my teeth and sent in Dominic. He kicked skink and ball alike straight into the crowd - all seven of them - who responded by throwing the ball back across the pitch, leaving it just outside my end zone with all my players on the other side of the field. Balthazar and Anonomuss tried their best, but...

Spoiler
    Show

There were only a few minutes left in the second half when we received the ball again, so I let the guys get stuck into the lizards until the whistle went.

Then it sunk in.

We had won our first game! I let the players cut loose, then sent Trev to round them all up a few days later. When they came back Obadiah, Narazil and Onimaru had all learned new tricks of the trade. Things were looking up. Mad John Potato will rise again!

16. - Top - End - #76

whoho! our first win! nothing like beating the heck out of a bloody Lizardman and setting the tone for the whole game. looks like this was a great match (oh, I'm getting blood bowl in about 3 days. fun fun fun)

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, good hustle, nice hurting the enemy more than they hurt you, all good.

Gotta say, these games are a bit higher scoring than I'm used to. Usually the non-pro games get decided on fatalities, what with scoring a point being...

Unlikely.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

18. - Top - End - #78

Wait, wait, wait.

I scored? Seriously? In like, a real match? Woah. I should like, y'know, demand to be paid and stuff!

19. - Top - End - #79

Awesome, I'm getting to be useful.

Gratz to all those clever people who managed to learn new skills!
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2009-12-08 at 05:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

wait? a victory? YEAAAH! thats only 2 games lost to 1 won, maybe we can still turn this around?
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I forget, are orcs in warhammer like 40k orks in that they're actually amublatory fungi which reproduce asexually, or do display sexual dimorphism (there are girl orcs)?

I definately remember female orc cheerleaders (there models for them in the back of a White Dwarf), but I'm not sure what their biology is currently and whether it's been retconned.

Dwarvern cheerleaders were basically the same shape as normal dwarves, but they don't have beards.
    Blood Bowl is officially not the same universe as the Warhammer Fantasy World anyway, so it doesn't matter. Orcs get skirted girls for cheerleaders if you want 'em. Over-enthusiastically happy goblins getting eaten by their own squigs are good too, tho.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Note how Not-On-The-Field I am.

I get the feeling that had something to do with this.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Orcs get skirted girls for cheerleaders if you want 'em..
    Actually, I believe I read somewhere that Orcish 'Cheerleaders' are drummers in the game.

YMMV on how good or bad that is :-p

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

A few savage beatings later, and Onimaru was sprinting up the pitch unopposed! I made a mental note to find the rock-thrower from the last game and have him killed.
    No need, he's been... given a good talking to, shall we say. *Hides the car battery and jump leads*

Seconds later, Onimaru scored!

Spoiler
    Show

These victory dances get stranger every time.
    W00T!

You should see the dance I do when I score a hat-trick.

When they came back Obadiah, Narazil and Onimaru had all learned new tricks of the trade. Things were looking up. Mad John Potato will rise again!
    As long as the trick guarantees at least one fatality or casualty per game, I'm happy.

Would a screenshot of our current team roster and brief stats be possible, coach?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

i was just wondering, when the next match would be?
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

The best part of all this is that my new liver is even better at dealing with booze! Three strait days of drinking and nary a hangover in sight. I'm not so sure on the greenish scales I've been developing on my right side, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebottom View Post
    i was just wondering, when the next match would be?
    It's coming, it's coming, keep your hair on. It takes about two hours to play a match and do the writeup, and the past few evenings I've had other things to do. I hope to get another match done tonight, then another on each of Saturday and Sunday, and then we'll see about next week.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

So, crunch time was here. The preliminary matches were over and the playoffs were about to begin. A word of explanation for those of you who just come for the dismemberments and don't care too much about the details: every tournament is divided into preliminaries and playoffs. During the preliminaries every team plays three games and racks up 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 for a loss. Then at the end of the prelims the four teams with the highest scores enter the playoffs. Bigger cups split the teams into 'groups' for the prelims, with only the highest scorer (or two) in each group going forward.

However, in this arse-end-of-nowhere cup there were only four teams to start with, so we were still in with a chance. Even better, we were drawn against the lizard men again. After the maiming they got last time, we should have a great advantage.

The match got off to a pretty standard start. We kicked off, then got stuck into the lizards with a vengeance. They stood up better than last time, but this time we had Sir Alexander back in action. It wasn't long before he had ducked through their front lines and was menacing the ball carrier.

Spoiler
    Show

On the other side of the pitch, Narazil took the 'easy way' past his marker.

Spoiler
    Show

I think he lost a glove in that sucking chest wound. Keeping up the carnage, Balthazar cold-cocked one of the seven-foot tall warrior lizards.

Spoiler
    Show

He would go on to spend the rest of the game as an iron pillar that the big lizards just kept bouncing off. Meanwhile, the area around the ball had descended into a huge fight, with no one able to keep their hands on it.

Spoiler
    Show

Then suddenly, a slinky skink broke free of the pack, ball in his hands! Dominic! Get in there!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

NOOOOO! What was worse was that after the massive scrum that had taken up most of the first half, there wasn't enough time left to counterattack before the whistle blew for half time. I gave the lads a stern talking to at half time, punctuated with my 'motivation stick'. We needed to use the tactics that had worked so well last time - maim half the other team and the touchdowns will come.

Fullbladder obliged.

Spoiler
    Show

Then he obliged again!

Spoiler
    Show

Anonomuss had the ball and Dominic was in the clear. I wasn't sure about passing him the ball - he's the sort who might kill it instead of scoring with it - but I needed a touchdown and soon. Anonomuss made a perfect pass. Dominic punched it out of the air. It was a beautiful smack, and no mistake, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Then this happened:

Spoiler
    Show

Those skinks are speedy little buggers! Even worse, it was the same guy who had slipped through our grasp to score last time! I raged. I foamed at the mouth. I was half a step from climbing onto the pitch to stop him myself when Anonomuss took my words to heart. "KILL HIM!" I had howled. So he did.

Spoiler
    Show

Nice work!

Sir Alexander and Knuckles were both unconscious, the result of one too many fistfights with the warrior lizards, but Fullbladder knew what to do.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

It was late in the second half and we were one-all. But this was a playoff, and playoffs can't end in draws. It's just extra time until someone wins. Just like last time, they were running low on players.

Spoiler
    Show

Wait... who's that who sneaked onto the pitch to deliver the kickoff?

Spoiler
    Show

OH NO.

He managed to kick the ball the shortest distance possible without it actually landing in our half of the pitch. The lizards quickly snatched it up. Then my front line descended on them like halflings on cake, with much the same results. Anonomuss, his contribution to the violence well and truly established, decided to go and score instead.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, Jibar actually made himself useful by standing around and distracting the other team while the competent players got them from behind.

There were just a few minutes left of the first period of extra time. The lizards had to bring the scores level again or we would win. We kicked off - and were so quick to get stuck in that Anegram actually managed to run into their half and catch the ball we had just kicked into the air. Sadly, although skinks are the second-puniest thing in Blood Bowl, three-on-one is more than enough to even the odds and Anegram let go of the ball again pretty quickly.

It wasn't enough though. The whistle blew. We had won again!

You know what this means? This means we're in the final for the 'Clean Cup', whatever that is. You know who our opponents will be? The Bright Crusaders. It's time for a grudge match, lads, so sharpen those studs and line those gloves with lead.

- * -

P.S. Anonomuss' beating skills have manifested themselves in his passing - he gained the skill Strong Arm after I rolled a double on his level up. For Blood Bowl noobs: When players level up, they can normally choose skills from a limited selection. Since Anon is a nominal thrower I've granted him access to the normal and passing lists. If you roll a double, you can choose a skill from any list (or a chaos mutation for some races). Strong Arm is a passing-related skill in the strength list, so it's 'cross-class' for most throwers. It basically reduces the penalties for passing long distances.

Even better, Xeper levelled up and got +1 AG! For people unfamiliar with the game, every player is measured in four stats: Movement (MV), Strength (ST), Agility (AG) and Armour Value (AV). Human linemen start as 6/3/3/8. Wood elf linemen are 7/3/4/7. A one-point difference is important! Now Xeper is as agile as an elf, and better-armoured to boot.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2009-12-11 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Oops

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

You've posted that three times Potato.

However, woooooo!
    I'm sneaky AND terrible!
    I hope I level up soon in getting punched in the face.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

30. - Top - End - #90

I'm sorry boss, I promise I won't screw up again!

MWAHAHAHAHA! FOR THE GLORY OF CHAOS!
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME