New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default [3.5] Best First Splatbooks

So, I have a friend that I recently introduced to D&D 3.5 with the SRD, and he seems to be picking it up very well (he figured out how unbalanced Core was on his own) and I want to start teaching him some of the splatbooks.

So, I would like to know the Playground's opinion on what the best splats are to teach a somewhat new player that has the SRD down pretty well. My first thoughts were PHBII and ToB (please don't turn this into a ToB argument). I'm wondering if Incarnum might be a bit too complicated for someone new to the game.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] Best First Splatbooks

Magic Item Compendium, and Spell Compendium. Followed by the ToB (then maybe the completes or PHBII)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

• Unearthed Arcana for mechanical tinkerage.
    • Tome of Battle for system extension/class replacement.
    • Manual of the Planes, Lost Empires of Faerun or Eberron Campaign Sourcebook for the fluff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I would personally go for the completes. And then for some of the compendiums and them some extra fluff books.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on what he likes.. Expanded Psionics Handbook, ToB, Magic Of Incarnum could be a good start..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

6. - Top - End - #6

XPH gets my vote.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I would recommend against Incarnum to start.

I highly recommend guiding him in further with the PHB2.
    New base classes for many styles of play. Alternative class features for all of the older base classes. Quick build guides with WbL present. Retraining. Well put together feats for all classes. Great insights into character creation.
    All together a wonderful book.

The Magic Item Compendium is a fun read after that, that is also universally useful.

I would recommend more specific books only after you cover these much more broad grounds.

8. - Top - End - #8

If he's familiar with the SRD, he's already got most of the XPH.

I'd say ToB would be good. It's the first splatbook my group got, and it was generally well-received, well-liked, and in every campaign we play, there's at least one ToB character.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

SpC and MIC aren't getting enough love. The sheer wealth of options in the SpC is awesome for anyone with at least 1st level spells.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'd have to throw my two coppers in the with completes. I'd say start with Adventurer, progress on to warrior, then divine, and only then to the big guns of Arcane/Mage. Don't want to overwhelm the poor bugger.

~R~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    • Unearthed Arcana for mechanical tinkerage.
    • Tome of Battle for system extension/class replacement.
    • Manual of the Planes, Lost Empires of Faerun or Eberron Campaign Sourcebook for the fluff.
    Could you enlighten me what of Unearthed Arcana isn't online?
    http://www.d20srd.org/

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Complete Divine, Arcane and Warrior are good first splats. They don't add many new rules like ToB and XPH but have enough stuff in them to be interesting. Afterwords try some of the "Races Of" books and the PHBII along with the Spell Compendium and MIC.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Could you enlighten me what of Unearthed Arcana isn't online?
    http://www.d20srd.org/
    The believe that alternate XP charts are just about the only thing that are different. There may be a few other things from UA where they tweak the rules of the game that would thus not be online. I want to say that the alternate fractional saves/BAB rule is in UA, but not in the SRD for this reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I second the suggestion of PHBII. The TOB could overwhelm a beginner (even an astute one), the complete books fill out Niches such as warrior, arcane caster, divine caster and expert. However, the PHBII expands on what's available, providing new classes that any player would like. If he enjoys a certain niche, buy the complete book that expands it. If he's experimenting, get PHBII which will guide him on how to build his charcter, give him more character classes that suit any niche, and give him inspiration for his character's background.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.