New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default mystic gestalt thurges

So, after looking at both the gestalt thread that recently opened and the mystic thurge threads that came out, I started to wonder whether this was valid.
    wizard 3/mystic thurge 10/wizard 3//cleric 3/mystic thurge 10/cleric 3
    If valid, would you end up with four spell lists, make it so that each level up is the equivalent of two, or just not stack?
    my idea is that at fourth level, you would cast as if you were sixth, at tenth as if you were sixteenth, and so on. Is this RAW? Would any sane DM let it pass? I doubt the second question, but bribery with cookies or chips and salsa can go a long way.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: mystic gestalt thurges

RAW, dual-progression PrCs are banned in gestalt. As is taking two PrCs at the same level. As is taking the same PrC twice.

Sane DMs? Unlikely. And if the DM does allow it, you're going to lose anyway.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2009-12-05 at 10:19 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

You also can't take two PrCs at one level in gestalt, nor can you take two levels of the same class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I can't count the number of ways that breaks the rules, but if a DM permits it, then you've already won (cause he's decided you will win) or you've already lost (because a game hard enough that he's decided this isn't overpowered will be one where you get curbstomped without blinking).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even if you could do this, you would wind up weaker than Wizard//Cleric.

Gestalt only advances class abilities at the fastest rate. Which means +1 level spellcasting for Wizard and for Cleric each level. With no class abilities, d4 HP and one good save.

Wizard//Cleric on the other hand scales Turning, domain abilities and bonus feats on a d8 HD frame with 2 good saves.

...so yeah. This is a bad idea on many levels.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    RAW, dual-progression PrCs are banned in gestalt. As is taking two PrCs at the same level. As is taking the same PrC twice.

Sane DMs? Unlikely. And if the DM does allow it, you're going to lose anyway.
    The RAW is that you SHOULD ban them

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Why bother with that when you can have a perfectly legal Wizard 3/Geomancer 10/ PrC 7// Cleric 20 and have the best of EVERY world
    Image by Rich Burlew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You still won't be getting +2spellcasting per level.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Why would you need it when you can cast Arcane spells in heavy armor and you have all the nice and goodies a cleric and a wizard have?
    Image by Rich Burlew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    The RAW is that you SHOULD ban them
    This. This right here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Unearthed Arcana is a book of variant rules. That means that they're not allowed by default RAW, which is why people normally don't suggest gestalt builds in practical optimization until it's specifically mentioned.

This is just a roundabout way of saying that Gestalt rules aren't complete rules. They're a template for what are essentially DM variant rules. If UA strongly suggests that the DM implement a certain restriction into the gestalt set of variant rules, then it's most reasonable to assume that the standard set of gestalt rules implemented in a campaign includes this restriction.

Also, taking two prestige classes at once is explicitly banned even if dual prestige classes are left in the realm of pedantry.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    RAW, dual-progression PrCs are banned in gestalt.
    I do believe that they should be allowed as long as you fulfill all requirements on one side of the gestalt. So Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10//[Random class(es) that do not involve Wizards, Clerics and MTs] 16

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I go with the "All class features improve at the fastest rate, not both combined". So you get +1 spellcasting level for both classes even if you take duel progression classes on both sides (if they progress the same thing)
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    I do believe that they should be allowed as long as you fulfill all requirements on one side of the gestalt. So Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10//[Random class(es) that do not involve Wizards, Clerics and MTs] 16
    Yeah, imo this is the one that makes the most sense.

I think of gestalt as 2 characters, with same feats/abilities, combined into 1. If 1 character can't qualify for smt himself, he can't get help from the other one.