New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Warlock Variant

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Warlock Variant

I was thinking about the warlock, and how it's a shame that they get so few invocations, when I had a thought: what if they ran off a unique invocations per day scheme, similar to Euridite? The only real thing you'd have to change is their progression a bit, and only so you don't end up with all dark invocations. What do you think, Too good?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock Variant

No opinions? Really? Is it that bad/bland/obvious?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I don't know anything about Erudite other than that Spell-to-Power is supposed to be horribly broken. I'm not sure Warlocks need it, since those invocations are 24hr buffs or spells that are never used up.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    I don't know anything about Erudite other than that Spell-to-Power is supposed to be horribly broken. I'm not sure Warlocks need it, since those invocations are 24hr buffs or spells that are never used up.
    The euridite can learn any number of powers. He can only use a certain number of them per day. Ported over to the warlock, warlocks would know all invocations, but could only use a couple unique ones per day. Spell-to-Power has nothing to do with this.
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It actually sounds quite reasonable to me.. If they choose their invocations like clerics and druids.. They have the most limited selection, so this thing kinda helps.. Interesting, and I don't think it is overpowered..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, that's one of the reasons I think it works for them: kinda like Incarnum, when you only have 30 options or so it's alot easier to make sure things are balanced. Looking at the actual progression...
    Unique invocations per day:
    {table=head]Level|least|Lesser|Greater|Dark
    1|1|0|0|0
    2|2|0|0|0
    3|2|0|0|0
    4|3|0|0|0
    5|3|0|0|0
    6|3|1|0|0
    7|3|1|0|0
    8|3|2|0|0
    9|3|2|0|0
    10|3|3|0|0
    11|3|3|1|0
    12|3|3|1|0
    13|3|3|2|0
    14|3|3|2|0
    15|3|3|3|0
    16|3|3|3|1
    17|3|3|3|1
    18|3|3|3|2
    19|3|3|3|2
    20|3|3|3|3
    [/table]
    You can also use a lower level invocation in a higher level slot, but it counts as a use for the day.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-12-06 at 03:24 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

So you mean something like the Spirit Shaman, where each day he picks which invocations (out of the entire possible list) he wants to have available for that day? Seems fair to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    So you mean something like the Spirit Shaman, where each day he picks which invocations (out of the entire possible list) he wants to have available for that day? Seems fair to me.
    Hmm...never really looked at the spirit shaman, but yeah, that sound like it.
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    The erudite is similar, but not exactly the same. The erudite picks powers known "on the fly" as he uses them, where the spirit shaman chooses ahead of time.

Spirit Shaman warlock: "I can know 1 least invocation at a time. Today, I choose Devil's Sight."

Erudite warlock: "I can know 1 least invocation at a time. The first time I use a least invocation today, which I can pick from the full list, it's set for the rest of the day."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the fluff it could go either way, but I like the Spirit Shaman's method better. Now to find a game where this works.
    Satomi by Elagune