New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Rakshasa: The culture of kitty cats?

I'm thinking about playing a rakshasa (rakshasa 7/sorcerer 2/ initiate of the sevenfold veil 7/ AC 4 for anyone interested) but I'm having a hard time finding information about their culture, lifespan, traditional names etc besides the stuff in the monster manual. So if anyone knows where I can find anything, no matter how irrelevant, about rakshasa that would be great.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rakshasa: The culture of kitty cats?

Well...

They're demonic entities, yes? So in a real sense they're probably immortal, or at least unaging. If not, I bet they're very long lived.

Since they are demonic entities and are biologically based on cats, their culture is probably that of solitary predators: interactions between two rakshasa are very tense, and the only stable relationships in their society are dominance relationships where one party is much more powerful than the other and tells them what to do.

Names... as I recall they're derived from some type of demons in Indian mythology, so that gives you a good place to start looking.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Perhaps this will be of some use to you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshas...eons_&_Dragons)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

What setting? I know in eberron they are considered elder evils, manipulative bastards, belched forth from Khyber.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I'm thinking about playing a rakshasa (rakshasa 7/sorcerer 2/ initiate of the sevenfold veil 7/ AC 4 for anyone interested) but I'm having a hard time finding information about their culture, lifespan, traditional names etc besides the stuff in the monster manual. So if anyone knows where I can find anything, no matter how irrelevant, about rakshasa that would be great.
    You do realize you're playing a ECL 34 character, right?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    Pffh. Big deal.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Read up on real-world Rakshasa.

In Hindu lore, Rakshasa are the equivalent of D&D's devil. They're lawful evil spirits in the form of men with beast-like features (normally apes and tigers) and inverted hands. Rakshasa exist in a structured but cruel society. They assume control and dominate lesser mortals, corrupt the righteous, and tempt priests.

Dragon #326 features the ecology of the Rakshasa so you might want to hunt that down. AD&D describes Rakshasa civilization as honorable and noble but with a cruel, rigid caste system. Rakshasa subsist on flesh (they're cannibals) and like a true feline their personalities vary depending on their wild mood swings. They can be war-like, conquering territories and capturing mortals for consumption, or they can be peaceful and apathetic enjoying luxuries, mind games, good food, good drink, and good company.

Regardless of how you portray them, rakshasa never reveal their true forms to humans if they can't help it. They use illusion and powers to blend in with society while ruling it from the shadows.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-12-06 at 03:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    What setting? I know in eberron they are considered elder evils, manipulative bastards, belched forth from Khyber.
    Mix of Greyhawk and homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    How do you get 34 out of that, The Rakshasa 7 is the 7 LA from the monster manual and the rest of the levels ads to 13 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Read up on real-world Rakshasa.

In Hindu lore, Rakshasa are the equivalent of D&D's devil. They're lawful evil spirits in the form of men with beast-like features (normally apes and tigers) and inverted hands. Rakshasa exist in a structured but cruel society. They assume control and dominate lesser mortals, corrupt the righteous, and tempt priests.

Dragon #326 features the ecology of the Rakshasa so you might want to hunt that down. AD&D describes Rakshasa civilization as honorable and noble but with a cruel, rigid caste system. Rakshasa subsist on flesh (they're cannibals) and like a true feline their personalities vary depending on their wild mood swings. They can be war-like, conquering territories and capturing mortals for consumption, or they can be peaceful and apathetic enjoying luxuries, mind games, good food, good drink, and good company.

Regardless of how you portray them, rakshasa never reveal their true forms to humans if they can't help it. They use illusion and powers to blend in with society while ruling it from the shadows.
    Hmm this is really helpful I must go and find the issue of Dragon. Also wooo that last paragraph fits perfectly with my character concept.
    Last edited by pffh; 2009-12-06 at 03:09 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

You didn't include the 7 racial hit dice.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Mix of Greyhawk and homebrew.
    I was going to ask. 'Cause in Pathfinder they state that not all of these guys have kitty heads.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Racial Hit Dice, but that would only make it 27 ECL. How do you get 7 more levels?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe he counted the LA twice by mistake?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you get 34 out of that, The Rakshasa 7 is the 7 LA from the monster manual and the rest of the levels ads to 13 levels.
    You add the racial hit dice and level adjustment together... I know, I know, this renders almost all monsters unplayable... But the other way round they're way overpowered so *Shrug*
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Savage Species does have a 14 level monster class for them...and immunity to 8th level and lower spells is pretty big, though the no save insta-death from blessed bolts seems silly if the DM ever uses it on you...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

... Brother, you've come to right place.

I need you to be a bit more specific, though. What in particular do you need to know?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    ... Brother, you've come to right place.

I need you to be a bit more specific, though. What in particular do you need to know?
    Well, I'd be interested to know how their families work, would a rakshasa be driven away from his mother at a certain age or would he be raised to take over and/or work for his mother/father?

Also if two rakshasas, both with true sight, would meet on an open road how would they react? Ignore each other? Attack?

If they would be openly hostile to each other if they met in a deserted place would that change if they met in a crowded city? What if the city is kinda the territory of one of the rakshasas (as in he's not the ruler but maybe a gang leader or a guild leader)?

If a rakshasa doesn't worship Ravanna is he hunted down by other rakshasas or is he just generally despised like say worshippers of Vhaerun are for drows of Lolth.
    Last edited by pffh; 2009-12-06 at 03:47 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I would think of them, role play wise, as a mix of Disney's Shere Khan and Jafar. Cultured, dignified, suave and sleek, and able to rip out your throat in an instant. That's my thoughts anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata2 View Post
    Savage Species does have a 14 level monster class for them...and immunity to 8th level and lower spells is pretty big, though the no save insta-death from blessed bolts seems silly if the DM ever uses it on you...
    That would probably be updated to a high SR, say 10 + 1.5 level in 3.5 and the blessed bolts would be removed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Well, I'd be interested to know how their families work, would a rakshasa be driven away from his mother at a certain age or would he be raised to take over and/or work for his mother/father?

Also if two rakshasas, both with true sight, would meet on an open road how would they react? Ignore each other? Attack?

If they would be openly hostile to each other if they met in a deserted place would that change if they met in a crowded city? What if the city is kinda the territory of one of the rakshasas (as in he's not the ruler but maybe a gang leader or a guild leader)?

If a rakshasa doesn't worship Ravanna is he hunted down by other rakshasas or is he just generally despised like say worshippers of Vhaerun are for drows of Lolth.
    The point is, in my opinion, that every hint everyone on this forum or elsewhere can give you on Rakshasas is virtually useless, depending on your DM way to think about them.

I've seen Rakshasas and other mithological/religious/folkloristik ripped monsters handled with proper documentation, a great effort of research and, sometime, maniacal precision.
    I've seen also DMs that handle this kind of monster as they are portrayed by stupid fictions etc. (Kevin Sorbo as Hercules? Any bell ringing?)

So the question is: does your DM sets Rakshasas in a Indian-like atmosphere? He thinks they're only big evil humanoid cats with reverse hands and magic? Where HE says the Rakshasas are born?
    And the more important question... They clean themselves as the common felines? (Hairballs... Bleah... )

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Animato View Post
    The point is, in my opinion, that every hint everyone on this forum or elsewhere can give you on Rakshasas is virtually useless, depending on your DM way to think about them.

I've seen Rakshasas and other mithological/religious/folkloristik ripped monsters handled with proper documentation, a great effort of research and, sometime, maniacal precision.
    I've seen also DMs that handle this kind of monster as they are portrayed by stupid fictions etc. (Kevin Sorbo as Hercules? Any bell ringing?)

So the question is: does your DM sets Rakshasas in a Indian-like atmosphere? He thinks they're only big evil humanoid cats with reverse hands and magic? Where HE says the Rakshasas are born?
    And the more important question... They clean themselves as the common felines? (Hairballs... Bleah... )
    Yeah this is where I'm quite lucky. If a race has not been used before in our game the player that plays it first can fit it into our game world himself.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakshasas do not flop!
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon #326 has an article about Rakshasa, though it focusses mostly on their methods of obtaining power.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakshasa exist in a caste system which is more rigid but otherwise resembles the ancient Varna (Hindu society). I haven't read the Goodman Games book, but here's how I always handled it in my games:

Four Varnas (in order of importance)

Brahmins: clerics, priests, scholars, law makers, and religious instructors.
    Kshatriyas: warriors who also had judicial power to enforce laws and administrate domains... basically knights in a Medieval feudal system.
    Vaishyas: merchants, wealthy farmers, and skilled craftsmen. Think middle class in contemporary American society.
    Shudras: servants and slaves.

Ruling above them is the Rajah (lord) and Rani (queen). The Maharaja (great lord) is basically the emperor who rules over all the Rajah. In Rakshasa society, the order of power by class basically goes cleric/sorcerer/monk -> fighter/noble/paladin of tyranny -> rogue/bard/expert -> commoner

To answer your question, the position a rakshasa is born in is the position he stays in. A Kshatriya will never be a Brahmin and so on. I can't say a Rakshasa will ever defy their fate because their essence is made from pure law. Those that do are surely cast out or killed.

AD&D says rakshasa rarely cooperate unless necessary. A ranking rakshasa in the prime material will rarely contact lesser ranking rakshasa if he ever meets one simply because it's one more liability for him, might attract attention, and they'll have to split the gain from hunting mortals.

Again, rakshasa don't want to be noticed in the prime material. They're powerful creatures but they're not stupid. Attention attracts powerful adventurers. A rakshasa that enters the territory of another will pay tribute but they aren't obligated to serve. They'll likely be watched because rakshasa outside of their native society are suspicious of each other and any slip ups will draw attention.

Hunted down? No. A brahmin will probably ignore him but most rakshasa don't really care. There's so many better things to be doing like corrupting kings and eating humans than fighting each other.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Rakshasa subsist on flesh (they're cannibals)
    They eat people or they eat their own kind? Because only one of those is cannibalism.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

They are tyrants, and from what I can tell, they don't enjoy each other's company that much.
    "No extra charge!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    They eat people or they eat their own kind? Because only one of those is cannibalism.
    D&D (or well BoVD) defines cannibalism as a preference for sentience beings as a source of meet.
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-06 at 05:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well it seems that rakshasa's will band together in small groups, but you probably will never see a metropolis filled populated mainly by them. If you do see a metropolis populated primarily by rakshasas, run far, far, far away.
    "No extra charge!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Both. They prefer human flesh but even canonically in Indian mythology they've resorted to eating each other.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, may I ask how would the other two types of Rakshasa's mentioned in the third monster manual of 3.5e apply to your question? I am curious about this.
    "No extra charge!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The inverted hands and cat body from the best of what I can tell are wholly invented by dnd.

And going by hindu myth i dont think the dnd idea of a demon is entirely acurate.

That said with a creature like the rakshasa you really need to see how your dm is placing them in the world.