New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Dual wielding Frenzied Deserker

Context: New player really likes the idea of dual wielding two handed weapons. Ultimately he wants to be fighter 8 and multiclass as a barbarian, so for a class progression I thought he could go Fighter 4 / Barbarian 2 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Fighter 4.

So, the dual wielding aspect: I was thinking of modifying the frenzied berserker to accommodate that. The feats required would become: power attack, cleave, two-weapon fighting and oversized two-weapon fighting, the other parts remain the same.
    At level 4, instead of heightened power attack they gain the ability to wield a two handed weapon in one hand and a one handed weapon in their offhand. They gain 1.5 their strength mod with the two handed weapon but power attack for +1/-1 with both hands.
    At level 10, instead of the heightened power attack, they gain the ability to wield a two handed weapon in each hand, adding 1.5 their strength modifier to each attack, and power attacking for +2/-1 with their main hand, and +1/-1 with their offhand.

The other party members consist of a tier two artificer and cleric, and a standard ranger and paladin, so what’s the general opinion about this power wise? My DM wants to hear other's views before he okays it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dual wielding Frenzied Deserker

Less Fighter, more Dervish? You're dual-wielding anyways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Less Fighter, more Dervish? You're dual-wielding anyways.
    Possible, I'll talk to him about it. He likes the idea of feats, but I did explain to him that a bucket load of feats are only useful is you have some combo you're building towards.
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-06 at 04:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would not permit the use of Frenzied Berserker if I was DMing. It doesn't play well with others.

Cavestalker 4 lets you wield spiked chains as one-handed weapons, would that be suitable? Maybe use it with scorpion chains from Races of Eberron, if you want Dervish as well?
    Last edited by Grumman; 2009-12-06 at 04:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

More that Fighter doesn't actually give you anything besides feats. Dervish actually gives class features that help dual-wielding...though now that I think of it, Dervish would only be good if he wants to fight with Scimitars and eventually Great Scimitars (which isn't that bad a tactical option in itself). Otherwise, Bloodclaw Master might be a better choice.

6. - Top - End - #6

Couldn't you just remove the requirements for Revenant Blade instead?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    I would not permit the use of Frenzied Berserker if I was DMing. It doesn't play well with others.
    I'm sure as a party we can figure something out. Could boost his will save like crazy to make sure he can meet the DC: 20 to stop raging or I could craft a wand of summon monster I and use grease to keep him busy whilst the rage wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Cavestalker 4 lets you wield spiked chains as one-handed weapons, would that be suitable?
    More obscure source book and harder to meet the requirements but I will consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    Couldn't you just remove the requirements for Revenant Blade instead?
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    More that Fighter doesn't actually give you anything besides feats. Dervish actually gives class features that help dual-wielding...though now that I think of it, Dervish would only be good if he wants to fight with Scimitars and eventually Great Scimitars (which isn't that bad a tactical option in itself). Otherwise, Bloodclaw Master might be a better choice.
    If we're going to use ToB, he may as well just reroll as a warblade. I did present that option, but we started out with core only + ebberon campeign setting and it seems the DM only wants use non-core gradually.
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-06 at 04:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Without ToB, you could just use Fighter for a few levels to accelerate feat acquisition, but after that, he should take the rest in Dervish.

I honestly find the idea of a fast-moving Frezerker who can full attack AND move at his speed quite terrifying for the party, but if it floats his boat...

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Without ToB, you could just use Fighter for a few levels to accelerate feat acquisition, but after that, he should take the rest in Dervish.

I honestly find the idea of a fast-moving Frezerker who can full attack AND move at his speed quite terrifying for the party, but if it floats his boat...
    However, that same Frezerker dual-wielding Great Scimitars is a pretty darn cool mental image.

From a safe distance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll see what he thinks of the dervish.

Should be fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Context: New player really likes the idea of dual wielding two handed weapons. Ultimately he wants to be fighter 8 and multiclass as a barbarian, so for a class progression I thought he could go Fighter 4 / Barbarian 2 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Fighter 4.
    NEEDS MOAR LION TOTEM

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    NEEDS MOAR LION TOTEM
    Not too sure I want to break that out just yet, but I will raise the possibility.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Just to be clear, no one thinks this version will be too powerful?