New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [4e] Avenger Essentials

This article is up here if you are an insider.

The article basically consists of 12 AMAZING feats for Avengers. And it's the sort of major boost Avengers need. Avenging Resolution is a bit worse then a free brutal 2, Distant Vengeance let Avengers use bows, Painful Oath is free +wis damage each turn. It's amazing, and you should go look at it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Avenger Essentials

The sad part is, amazing feats like these are what they need to bring them up to par. Let's see if the Class Acts: Avengers article gives them a suite of powers worth using, so I can stop with this Avenger rewrite already. >_>

....and yet, they're still feat fixes, like Weapon Expertise and the like were. Some of them might have to be integrated into the class itself.
    Last edited by Break; 2009-12-06 at 10:38 PM.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, this seems to be becoming the most controversial class in 4E. Should we start discussing Character Tiers?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Wow, this seems to be becoming the most controversial class in 4E. Should we start discussing Character Tiers?
    The IRC has thought about it. Ultimately came to the conclusion it'd be very difficult to include leaders in it.

Since I might as well make my stance clear: Avengers are broken just like 3.5 fighters: They have a few cheap tricks (Crit Fisher is the Ubercharger equivalent), but the class if played how most likely intended simply cannot keep up with other strikers. Thus, anything that helps the class is good to me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious. I haven't been keeping track of 4e (my group started a 3.5 game.)

How's the Rogue holding up against all the fancy new Strikers?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    I'm curious. I haven't been keeping track of 4e (my group started a 3.5 game.)

How's the Rogue holding up against all the fancy new Strikers?
    Rogues still deal great damage, but their damage is very situational (combat advantage required). My upper-paragon Rogue, when he doesn't have CA, deals about 1d4+10 with an at-will. No other striker class will ever go as low as a Rogue without CA. A new feat seems to fix this for Rogues with Rapiers though... Lets them deal sneak damage when they and their target are the only creatures adjacent to one another, which when a Rogue doesn't have CA, that's the most common reason. (With CA, he deals 1d4+3d8+14 with an at-will)

All the other strikers either get to deal their damage by attacking someone specific (Quarry, Curse, Shroud target), get it when they hit (Flurry of Blows), get it passively (Barbarian, Sorcerer) or don't get a special damage bonus at all (Avenger). Though, Avengers can use ANY weapon with their powers... Though, so can Barbarians, who still generally deal 1[W] + Another die + Str mod for their at-wills.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2009-12-07 at 05:07 AM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Every single one of those feats was at least decent and most were great. I am very happy to see this. Suddenly, I want to try an Avenger again. I'm disappointed that in the epic game that just begaon on Saturday I decided to play a Ranger instead. I might have to try an epic Avenger in a couple of weeks. Kudos, WotC, for the much needed boost to Avengers.

And to you, Tacky: I consider Rogues to be the baseline for strikers. They have some neat tricks and their damage is about average for a striker. Sure, Rangers and Barbarians do more, but Avengers and Warlocks do less. Sorcerers just don't count.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. That's good. I was rather fond of my charismatic Rogue, even if he wasn't optimized. Good to know he still is hanging in there.

And Rangers do more, really? Wonder what our Ranger was doing wrong then. I usually did way more damage then him.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-12-07 at 05:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    And Rangers do more, really? Wonder what our Ranger was doing wrong then. I usually did way more damage then him.
    Didn't take twin strike as an at will power?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa, the Avenger is bad? I thought it was pretty amazing. Can someone quickly summarize what's wrong with it that makes it so bad just to get me up to speed?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Rogues still deal great damage, but their damage is very situational (combat advantage required).
    That's not situational: getting combat advantage is very easy, and a well-played rogue will have CA over 90% of the time.

don't get a special damage bonus at all (Avenger).
    The damage bonus for avengers lies in the fact that they hit more often. Note that rogues also tend to hit very accurately.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Lack of damage compared to other strikers.

the gap is not huge, but it is there.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Lack of damage compared to other strikers.

the gap is not huge, but it is there.
    Pretty much.

And the fact that their censure bonus tends to be triggered much less (except Unity, which is lower anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Whoa, the Avenger is bad? I thought it was pretty amazing. Can someone quickly summarize what's wrong with it that makes it so bad just to get me up to speed?
    Low damage, generally bleh powers, two of the censures are problematic to activate (which adds to the first problem), while the other doesn't grant enough bonus damage to keep up, poor PPs, for starters.

Basically, WotC really overestimated the power of Oath of Enmity, and the rest of the class suffers as a result. When your best build for a class is to multiclass out and systematically replace all of the class's powers with another's, there's something wrong. The article is basically WotC's way of saying "we screwed up! Here's yet another feat fix."
    Last edited by Break; 2009-12-07 at 10:14 AM.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's not situational: getting combat advantage is very easy, and a well-played rogue will have CA over 90% of the time, which for some sessions is never.

The damage bonus for avengers lies in the fact that they hit more often. Note that rogues also tend to hit very accurately.
    I've generally had a lot of trouble getting CA. Part of why I'm retiring the character. The other part is that I put a lot of focus into his 18-20 crit range, which happens only 15% of the time.

Does the avenger really hit more often?

Rogue - +1 to hit with daggers, which are already +3 prof, Nimble Blade feat adds +1 with CA and is a must for Rogues
    Warlock - +1 Prime Shot
    Ranger - Two tries to hit, and +1 Prime Shot
    Monk - +3 prof with their unarmed strike
    Barbarian - +1 Charge
    Avenger - Roll twice, take the better

Hit-wise, they're better than some, but a Ranger or Rogue will hit at least as often. I know my Rogue's hit things on a nat 2, and so has the other Rogue I've seen. Hitting often is part of being a striker. The other part is dealing a lot of damage when they hit. An Avenger can, for a feat, wield a Mordenkrad or Execution Axe. But... A Barbarian can too and still gets a damage bonus implicit to his powers. A Ranger can grab a Greatbow or a pair of Waraxes for 1d12 per half their Twin Strike for that same feat.

So an Avenger is, really, on-par hit-wise and below par damage-wise.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2009-12-07 at 01:55 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've generally had a lot of trouble getting CA. Part of why I'm retiring the character. The other part is that I put a lot of focus into his 18-20 crit range, which happens only 15% of the time.
    To be fair to the avenger, Prime Shot really doesn't come into play often unless you take a couple of feats like Called Shot or Prime Punisher, and Oath of Enmity really is a great boost to hit. I haven't verified the math myself, but I've heard - probably on CharOp back at WotC, but my memory is fidgety - that if you need around a 10 on a d20 to hit, Oath basically acts as a +5 to hit.

So yeah, Oath is a nice accuracy spike, but this isn't alone to make the class worth taking, as their damage is still lacking with this this taken into account, among other problems. So, you're half right.
    Last edited by Break; 2009-12-07 at 01:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Monk - +3 prof with their unarmed strike, tagets NADS with a weapon
    By weapon, you mean implement, right?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    To be fair to the avenger, Prime Shot really doesn't come into play often unless you take a couple of feats like Called Shot or Prime Punisher, and Oath of Enmity really is a great boost to hit. I haven't verified the math myself, but I've heard - probably on CharOp back at WotC, but my memory is fidgety - that if you need around a 10 on a d20 to hit, Oath basically acts as a +5 to hit.

So yeah, Oath is a nice accuracy spike, but this isn't alone to make the class worth taking, as their damage is still lacking with this this taken into account, among other problems. So, you're half right.
    It's actually if you need an 11 to hit, it's a +5, and that's basic probability:
    If you have a 50% chance to hit, and a 50% chance to miss, thats the same as flipping a coin. If you define heads as a hit, then an avenger could get:
    HH, HT, TH, TT
    Of those four possibilities, three contain a hit, and so that means the avenger in this scenario is 25% (or +5) more likely to hit.
    There is a number of decreasing returns though, but there is a convent chart CO had already put together:

The table below lists the probabilities (rounded to 2 decimal places) of getting a roll of X or above, if you can use your Oath and have fair dice.
    Code:
    2 0.9975
    3 0.99
    4 0.98
    5 0.96
    6 0.94
    7 0.91
    8 0.88
    9 0.84
    10 0.80
    11 0.75
    12 0.70
    13 0.64
    14 0.58
    15 0.51
    16 0.44
    17 0.36
    18 0.28
    19 0.19
    20 0.10
    Also, I'd like to remind everyone in this thread that the Avenger does technically have bonus damage, They do have Censure after-all. Just because it is difficult to activate doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-12-07 at 01:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

To add to what Gralamin said:

That chart also shows how Oath of Enmity increases crit chance. The Avenger has the same crit chance as a non-Avenger with a 19-20 crit range by default. If you manage to get an actual 18-20 crit range, the Avenger is going to be critting on more than one in four attacks.

It's still not enough, of course. It's just worth noting as one of the effects that WotC seems to have overestimated.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-12-07 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    To add to what Gralamin said:

That chart also shows how Oath of Enmity increases crit chance. The Avenger has the same crit chance as a non-Avenger with a 19-20 crit range by default. If you manage to get an actual 18-20 crit range, the Avenger is going to be critting on more than one in four attacks.

It's still not enough, of course. It's just worth noting as one of the effects that WotC seems to have overestimated.
    And good luck to anyone fighting a Keen Eagle Shaman that is helping an Avenger. 16-20 crit range you say? Yes, I'd like to crit on almost half of my attacks!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The avenger is underpowered?

I mean, it did look sorta weak compared to all the other strikers, but underpowered?

Then again, I'm not much of an optimizer.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    The avenger is underpowered?

I mean, it did look sorta weak compared to all the other strikers, but underpowered?

Then again, I'm not much of an optimizer.
    This isn't the difference between say, a fighter and a wizard in 3.5. It is smaller then that, but, to keep up with a lot of the other strikers, an avenger pretty much must focus on criticals, and multiclass immediately to replace as many of his powers as possible. When it is optimal to pretty much abandon your class except for Oath of Enmity, then this is a bad thing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    This isn't the difference between say, a fighter and a wizard in 3.5. It is smaller then that, but, to keep up with a lot of the other strikers, an avenger pretty much must focus on criticals, and multiclass immediately to replace as many of his powers as possible. When it is optimal to pretty much abandon your class except for Oath of Enmity, then this is a bad thing.
    Are you sure? The Ranger always seemed a lot like a 3.5 wizard in comparison with other strikers in terms of powers, but again, I am not much of a optimizer so If I am wrong it is simply my lack of skill when it comes to optimization.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Are you sure? The Ranger always seemed a lot like a 3.5 wizard in comparison with other strikers in terms of powers, but again, I am not much of a optimizer so If I am wrong it is simply my lack of skill when it comes to optimization.
    Ranger is definitely the big problem, but you can pretty easily build a Barbarian, Assassin, Sorcerer, or Rogue that can out damage a pure Avenger. I'm not sure if Warlock's can, but Warlock's have always been the "Odd" striker.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Ranger is definitely the big problem, but you can pretty easily build a Barbarian, Assassin, Sorcerer, or Rogue that can out damage a pure Avenger. I'm not sure if Warlock's can, but Warlock's have always been the "Odd" striker.
    I didn't say the other couldn't out damage a avenger, any striker can out damage a avenger, which is sad, because the avenger has some interesting fluff, and is a nice concept, just poorly executed.

Everyone will be hard pressed to out damage a ranger though.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-07 at 02:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't say the other couldn't out damage a avenger, any striker can out damage a avenger, which is sad, because the avenger has some interesting fluff, and is a nice concept, just poorly executed.
    But thats the entire point - Strikers are supposed to do good damage, and if they are consistently being out-damaged, that makes them bad at their job, and thus likely underpowered.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

But thats the entire point - Strikers are supposed to do good damage, and if they are consistently being out-damaged, that makes them bad at their job, and thus likely underpowered.
    Yeah I know. With hope, WOTC will fix the avenger soon, these feats hopefully being the start.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-07 at 02:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Warlocks can't out-damage an Avenger very well, especially if the Avenger picks a large enough weapon, and definitely not if the Avenger MCs into the Pit Fighter Paragon Path. Those two don't rely so much on pure damage to be a Striker, but rather use controller, leader, and defender-like rider effects that help set the monster up for a brutal multi-man beatdown or just a simple lockdown/lockout.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Warlocks can't out-damage an Avenger very well, especially if the Avenger picks a large enough weapon, and definitely not if the Avenger MCs into the Pit Fighter Paragon Path. Those two don't rely so much on pure damage to be a Striker, but rather use controller, leader, and defender-like rider effects that help set the monster up for a brutal multi-man beatdown or just a simple lockdown/lockout.
    Never seen a warlock in action,or read their section in the PHB in much detail, so I can't comment.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Never seen a warlock in action,or read their section in the PHB in much detail, so I can't comment.
    Most of their powers deal roughly the same amount of damage as a Rogue using a Short Sword or Rapier (with a few exceptions), their Warlock's Curse cannot be boosted to d8 damage dice, unlike the Rogue or Rangers' similar abilities, and without Pact weapons they can't benefit from Weapon Focus. However, like the Avenger, they get more rider effects to their powers than most other Strikers, including Eyebite's single-target relative invisibility.

Their main way of out-damaging the Avenger is to grab 13 Dexterity for Dual Implement Spellcasting, and perhaps Arcane Implement Proficiency (Staff) for Staff of Ruin. Avengers can make use of Iron Armbands of Power, massive-dice weapons, and high-damage enchantments.