New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Enlarging Touch spells...[3.5]

This is just a straw pole on this one:

A player of mine is hoping to get up to some mischief much like the lightning stuff that Uchiha Sasuke gets up to in Naruto. He's already invested in the Widen Spell and Energy Substitution feats that would do most of what the guy does but he's been wondering about the lightning beam thing that Sasuke uses

Reach Spell turns the effect into a ray, which isn't quite what he's after so I was wondering about using the Enlarge [double range] Spell metamagic feat to effectively give the touch attack the Reach melee quality [putting it up to a 10ft range rather than adjacent].

As i don't tend to play at high levels, stuff like destruction aren't likely to become issues but i'm wondering if folks here think this would be reasonable?
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2009-12-07 at 10:30 AM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Enlarging Touch spells...[3.5]

Well, an energy substituted Scorching Ray (lvl 2 spell) should do what y'all are looking for. Rays are ranged touch attacks, so that should work.

Alternatively he can get a lesser and normal lightning orb (lvl 1 and 4 respectively) from the SpC and Complete Arcane(I think)
    Last edited by Choco; 2009-12-07 at 10:22 AM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Well, an energy substituted Scorching Ray (lvl 2 spell) should do what y'all are looking for.
    Not quite, i think the point was that he wanted it to remain a melee attack, possibly because he didn't go heavily in for Dex...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Will his touch spells having reach really break anything? As long as he's invested heavily into Concentrate, he should be able to/will soon be able to cast defensively always forever anyway. I think a +1 metamagic would do fine for this. Hell, I'd be willing to let them have it as "take a feat, yay you can do it".
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ah, in that case I would have no clue. There are ways to do melee attacks from a distance but I cant remember any off the top of my head, but I'm sure that plenty of people on these boards will cover you there once they wake up.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

probably just save myself the trouble and design a level 2 spell with a scaling reach melee attack of lightning or something. Thanks, though, as pointed out, i doubt that this mod would be abusable [it's not like i use Shivering Touch or the like].

Thanks all!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, when I think about sharingan as a Wizard's spellbook, the entire series makes a lot more sense. People have accused the author of basically just pulling abilities out of his behind (plot-no-jutsu!) and calling them a facet of a bloodline ability with no reason or logic. But maybe he just plays D&D. A Wizard did it!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thunderlance, from SpC is almost exactly what you need. Extensible lightsaber that can go from 5 up to 20 ft, that one can use in melee. There are caveats, though:
    1- Short duration plus relatively high circle means limited usage;
    2- Does not deal eletricity damage, but force damage, despite the name;[
    3- By Raw, if I recall correctly, the caster use either Inteligence or Charisma to both hit and damage, not regular physical stats;

The first one is a major issue, but you can probably dial down the damage to up the duration or lower the circle. The remaining two are minor issues that feats and/or a sensible reading can easily solve.
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain