New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Synergists [3.5 PrCs, PEACH]

Synergists

You have no hope. We have trained together for years, we know every little flaw of each other and can cover for all of them. Our minds might as well be one, for we can tell without effort what the other will think and do and say. We are not a couple of good combatants, we are a good team.
    Lokese and Dalba Temide, synergists (spoken in unison without rehearsal).

Synergists are pairs of people who have trained together for a lifetime. A good synergist cknows their partner better than they know themself, and covers their weakness with their own strength.

Arcane Synergist

Requirements
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
    Feats: Supportive Caster
    Special: A character may only take levels in this class with a designated "partner", who must take levels in a synergist class concurrently with each level taken by the character in a synergist class.
    Hit Dice: d4

Skill Points: 2 + Int mod/level

Class Skills: An arcane synergist's class skills (and their key ability scores) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

{table=head]Level|Base AttackBonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Intimate Spells (Extreme/Long or melee attack), Interdependent|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Intimate Metamagic (+1), Intimate Spells (Medium)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Intimate Metamagic (+2), Intimate Spells (Short)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Intimate Metamagic (+3), Intimate Spells (Touch)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Intimate Metamagic (+4), Intimate Spells (extra)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Spellcasting: An arcane synergist advances their spellcasting at each level as though they had gained a level in the class with which they qualified for this class. If they have multiple classes which qualify, then they must choose one when they enter this class.

Intimate Spells: An arcane synergist can channel their spellcasting through their partner. An arcane synergist may cast a spell of a level no higher than two less than the maximum level that they can cast on their partner so that their partner may store it. When a partner has stored a spell, they may use it on any attack that they could normally make. A spell with a swift action casting time or less may be used on an attack of opportunity, a spell with no more than a standard action casting time may be used on an attack action, and a spell with no more than a full-round casting time may be used on a full attack. If the attack hits, the spell takes effect as if it had just been cast. Otherwise, the spell remains stored. At first level, the spell must have a range of at least Long, or else it can only be used on a melee attack. At second level, the spell may have a range of Medium. At third level, the spell may have a range of Short. At fourth level, the spell may have a range of Touch. At fifth level, two such spells may be stored, and both may be used on the same attack, although the sum of their levels may not exceed the highest level spell slot possesed by the arcane synergist.

Intimate Metamagic: An arcane synergist may, when casting spells via or on their partner, apply metamagics to them without preparation or increase in spell level. An arcane synergist chooses a +1 metamagic at second and every level therafter, and may apply them to spells being stored by their partner or cast on their partner without increase in casting time, prior preparation, or using a higher level spell slot.

Interdependent: If an arcane synergist is more than a mile distant from their partner for at least a minute they lose all class abilities from this class.

Martial Synergist

Requirements
    Feats: Supportive Fighter
    Special: A character may only take levels in this class with a designated "partner", who must take levels in a synergist class concurrently with each level taken by the character in a synergist class.

Hit Dice: d10

Skill Points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Skills: The class skills of the martial synergist (and their key ability scores) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Got You Covered, Interdependent

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Backup

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Fierce Loyalty

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Keep On Going

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Revenge[/table]

Got You Covered (Ex): Whenever a martial synergist's partner is within reach, the partner gains a shield bonus to armor class equal to the martial synergist's class level.

Backup (Ex): From second level, a martial synergist may run as a swift action on the condition that their partner is within reach at the end of the run. They gain a +10 morale bonus to speed for this movement for every class level that they have.

Fierce Loyalty (Ex): From third level, a martial synergist gains a +6 bonus against any effect which would prevent them from aiding their partner (this includes both mental and physical prevention).

Keep On Going (Ex): At fourth level, a martial synergist remains conscious down to -10 hit points, and does not die until they have reached -(10+class level) hit points.

Revenge (Ex): At fifth level, a martal synergist becomes a fearsome sight when their partner goes down. This grants them the benefits of a barbarian's rage ability, and also grants temporary hit points equal to half the martial synergist's maximum hit points. This lasts for 2d6 rounds and bypasses Interdependent.

Interdependent: If a martial synergist is more than a mile distant from their partner for at least a minute they lose all class abilities from this class.

Divine Synergist
    Requirements
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level divine spells
    Feats: Supportive Caster
    Hit Dice: d8

Skill Points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Skills: A divine synergist's class skills (and their key ability scores) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Healing Affinity, Interdependent|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Shield of Faith|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Greater Healing Affinity|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Greater Shield of Faith|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Supreme Healing Affinity|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Healing Affinity: A divine synergist is adept at healing their partner. Whenever they cast a spell which restores hit points to their partner, any excess healing beyond their maximum hit points is granted as temporary hit points. These may not take their total hit points above twice their normal maximum.

Shield of Faith (Su): The partner of a divine synergist of at least second level gains a +1 sacred or profane bonus (depending on the synergist's alignment) to all saves.

Greater Healing Affinity: A divine synergist of third level or higher heals double the usual amount when using a healing spell on their partner. This only applies to actual healing, not to the temporary hit points granted by Healing Affinity.

Greater Shield of Faith (Su): The partner of a divine synergist of fourth level or higher recieves double the bonus granted by Shield of Faith, and further gains the same bonus to AC.

Supreme Healing Affinity (Su): A divine synergist of 5th level, whenever healing hit point damage directly, uses the amount healed by that individual spell as a percentage chance to dispel any effect of their partner's choice which is currently affecting their partner. Also, for every ten points of hit point damage which would normally be healed the divine synergist may substitute 1 point of ability damage or drain.

Interdependent: If a divine synergist is more than a mile distant from their partner for at least a minute they lose all class abilities from this class.

I will likely post more as and when I think of ways for them to work. in the meantime, PEACH!
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2009-12-08 at 12:48 AM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Synergists [3.5 PrCs, PEACH]

OK, this has fallen off the front page without a single reply. Did I do something really right, or really wrong?
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

For Arcane Synergist, the benefits really aren't worth the flaw that if your partner is incapacitated you lose five levels of the class. The benefits are, in fact, very small. For the arcane casters, you get some mild metamagic abilities, which is nice, but there aren't too many good +1 metamagics to apply to buffs (extend, I guess?). Letting your partner take your spells and turn them into a melee attack isn't good, because only gishes would ever attempt to make touch attacks on melee enemies.

The melee class, again, has a problem in that having your partner incapacitated causes you to lose the benefits of the class, although the benefits are better if enemies are close together so you can keep hitting. The big thing is mostly that you get an effective +6 against everything since the wording is vague (getting hit and incapacitated prevents you from aiding your partner).

Divine Synergist: It's a class that gives healing bonuses in exchange for a major drawback. Underpowered.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Arcane Synergist can also apply those metamagics to spells cast through their partner. The main point of it is to partially break the action economy.

Martial Synergist is able to run towards their partner as a swift action. Assuming base 30 foot speed, they can pull off 120+120+80=320 feet oof movement towards their partner and still get an attack off at second level. That goes up by 40 feet per level after that. I am open to suggestions for more abilities, though.

Divine Synergist: Duh. Forgot about healbots being extremely suboptimal. Any ideas?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    The Arcane Synergist can also apply those metamagics to spells cast through their partner. The main point of it is to partially break the action economy.

Martial Synergist is able to run towards their partner as a swift action. Assuming base 30 foot speed, they can pull off 120+120+80=320 feet oof movement towards their partner and still get an attack off at second level. That goes up by 40 feet per level after that. I am open to suggestions for more abilities, though.

Divine Synergist: Duh. Forgot about healbots being extremely suboptimal. Any ideas?
    +1 metamagic to buffs is, while useful, not going to actually break the action economy. If you mean +1 metamagic to spells cast by their partner, that's better, because then you can increase their blasting or just heighten everything for free.

Martial Synergist: Yes, you can burn your swift action to run. You get a +6 to all saves. It's probably the best one, because it's actually worth the fact that if your partner is down you get five levels lost.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea but as it is, it's probably not worth it.

Interdependant is a little too crippling to even make it worth considering taking these classes, except as something you add to a Cohort perhaps.

Interdependant's cutting off your casting abilities and/or saves and BAB doesn't actually make much sense. Suppressing class features is one thing but taking core abilities away is too much, especially when you could have this trigger if you used Blindness twice.

More than a mile seperation for a minute might be alright for suppressing most of the class features; otherwise you'd have to incorporate these into the base classes to make anyone want to take them; they're just too weak for the crippling downside.

On a purely flavour line, i rather like the idea of what amounts to human familiars. I was working on something similar a while back.

A final comment: deflection bonuses are common ones for magic items. I'd suggest picking something else like Teamwork or Competence and applying it to both partners for the first level of Warder [oops, Supportive Fighter]
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I made a PRC, the Synchronized Swordsman, that was a very similar concept. It was well received, so you could check it out for ideas. I made a rogue version, the Duel Daggers, but it didn't turn out as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interdependent is a huge penalty. Like...huge. Anyways...it doesn't make sense that a character would suddenly lose all of their skill and learning just because they can't see their partner.

Honestly, divine synergist is nothing compared to the homebrew healer on these boards.

Intimate spells should be changed to get rid of that range restriction for melee attacks.

Intimate metamagic could be on four levels, and I seriously wouldn't mind. It gets you every +1 metamagic ability...except Still Spell is suddenly useless. Heighten Spell is the one I suppose you wouldn't get, but still. Just skip Still Spell and get Heighten Spell.

Change got you covered to a different type of bonus. Maybe a shield bonus, although that limits the characters' options.

I think backup could be changed to be whenever in combat.

Revenge (Ex): At fifth level, a martal synergist becomes a fearsome sight when their partner goes down. This grants them the benefits of a barbarian's Rage ability, and also grants temporary hit points equal to half the martial synergist's maximum hit points. This lasts for 2d6 rounds and bypasses Interdependant.
    Don't capitalize rage. Also, every time, you've spelled interdependent wrong, unless there's a British spelling like that or something that I'm missing.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, how does that look on the arcane and martial synergists? Any ideas on what to do with the divine synergist? I have a have-formed idea for how to do a rogue-style synergist to round out the "core four", and I will probably steal ideas from that Dual Daggers class.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Uhhh... reword it so that they lose the class abilities from this class (not including stuff like saves, BAB, and spellcasting), and that they get it back when they see their partner again. Otherwise, if they are separated for a minute they are suddenly weaker than commoner 1's. >_<
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2009-12-08 at 12:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops. That was stupid. Fixed now, but that was really dumb.