New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default MitD II: Lighting a candle in the Darkness

WARNING: This Thread WILL contain spoilers.
    Smallprint: If you are unwilling to hear what MitD might be, or segments from the published books (specially SoD) then this is not a thread for you.
    Everyone else: don't bother spoilering or hiding that stuff in this thread. It is what we are here for

Section 1: General Information
    Section 1a: Directly from Rich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich's Words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in War and XPs c.368
    So, just so everyone is clear: I know exactly what the Monster in the Darkness is. I have (almost) always known. Its first two or three appearances were before I had worked out much of the plot's details, so at that point, I just figured it was a mystery I would never answer. Once I started developing the real story that I was telling, around strip #100, I figured out what the monster really was and have been dropping hints ever since. (Note that nothing from before strip #100 actually contradicts the truth of what it is, either.) [...]
    I will say this much: It is possible to guess.
    That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be something I invented just for one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!" or some other made-up monster.
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in Don't Split the Party
    [O-Chul] breaks himself out of the cage, he drives off Redcloak with a lucky shot, and most importantly, he has won the trust of the monster in the darkness over the course of months. So much so that the monster digs deep and discovers powers that he didn't even know he had in order to save him.
    Notes:
    • Strip 100 is copyrighted 2004, so no creature first published after that time can be considered.
    • What is probably the most common misconception about Rich's words in this thread is the following: "It is possible to guess." Any number of people have jumped to the conclusion that it means that MitD must be a famous or iconic creature. The phrase warrants no such conclusion. Instead, all it says is that MitD exists listed somewhere outside OotS - nothing more and nothing less. As such, the iconic status of an idea, or lack thereof, is of no weight whatsoever when considering its fitness as MitD's species.

Start of Darkness Canon
    Spoiler
    Show

Stereotyped Big Game Hunters, when they capture MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SBGH
    Monocle: "My gods, is it talking? In Common, no less!"
    Jenkins: "Unbelievable!"
    Monocle: "Well, that will surely fetch a fine price."
    Jenkins: "Indeed!"
    Monocle: "I tell you, Jenkins, I never expected to see one of these in this part of the world."
    Jenkins: "Quite!"
    Monocle: "One-in-a-lifetime catch, Jenkins[...]"
    Circus, when the public looks upon MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Circus Public
    Human male: "Oh my gods..."
    Human Male: "It's horrible!"
    Human Female: "And yet... beautiful!"
    Human Female Child: "Mommy, I feel funny looking at it"
    Human Male: "Blerrch!" (throwing up)
    Human Male in wizard's clothing: "I've never seen anything like it!"
    Goblin Female Child: "Wooooooo!"
    Goblin Male Child: "YEAH!"
    Rest of the public:
    3 Human Males, 2 Human Females and 1 Halfling Male look:
    1 Human Male has "queasy" mouth, as if about to throw up
    1 Human Male has closed his eyes and is attempting to cover them with his hands
    2 Goblin Males are unimpressed
    RedCloak, admitting he knows what MitD is:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCloak, pg. 88
    I know what you are. You could kill them all if you wanted.
    Xykon's First look at MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon
    "My you're one ugly sonofabitch, aren't you?"

Section 1b: Other Info
    Spoiler
    Show

Legal Issues
    Spoiler
    Show
    Many of the ideas presented in the thread have the same base problem: they are Intellectual Property of a company, and they have not been released to the general public. An author - particularly one selling books for money - may only make use of such creatures under Fair Use guidelines, the most relevant of which is Parody, since it is the one used by Rich. So long as he makes a joke out of it, Rich can use protected intellectual properties, and he has in a few occasions. However, there would be no fair use in taking a Protected character like, say, Mickey Mouse, and making him one of the main antagonists of the comic. Instead, if discovered, Rich could end in a whole lot of legal trouble, and thus it is very unlikely he would use such character.
    It has been argued that Rich could also get away with copyright infringement under the "added value" clause that allows the use of a copyrighted creation if the creation is developed in a new way (see the Obama "Hope" poster, which was based on an AP photograph). This would not apply, as far as we can tell, to trademarked creations.

Please note that at no point has an IP lawyer commented on this issue, and as such it may be wrong.

The Escape
    Spoiler
    Show
    • It can't be dimension door or blink because those spells have pityable ranges.
    • Teleport and Greater Teleport in the standard rules require the caster to go along with the other subejcts of the spell. We have seen teleport work this way in OOTS here and here, and also here we get to see two teleports work this way. In fact there, there are two casters, presumably one divine (raise dead) and one arcane (teleport). Then Soul Spliced V casts (presumably) Teleport and travels along too (though we don't actually see the spell cast, just the resultant "pop"). Finally when we see Epic Teleport, even then the caster (and his spliced spirits) go along for the ride. So although it doesn't absolutely prove that Rich insists the caster always goes along when they Teleport, it really seems to suggest that is the way it works in OOTS, which is the standard D&D rules. Teleport also requires the caster to know the destination, although when that is not the case, a lucky (i.e. plot-induced) roll in the missed teleportation table could have delivered V & O'Chul to the right place anyway.
      • It has been suggested that a dimensional anchor cast on MitD's box would prevent him from teleporting, but not from casting it. There is, however, no evidence that such spell has been cast on the box.
      • Standard teleporting rules do require the caster to touch any other travelers, but the rule is not observed in OotS (see any of the prior examples)
    • Standard 3.5 edition D&D rules say Plane Shift can be cast so that the caster does not travel along for the ride. However it also says you MUST go to another plane, not another place on the same plane and that "precise accuracy as to a particular arrival point on the intended plane is nigh impossible". Also that "creatures must find their own way back". O-Chul and V make no mention of "getting back" and have no apparent means to plane shift. Note that in most occasions plane shift has been depicted with a kind of "window" opening, but not always.
      • It has been suggested that MitD could have plane-shifted them to a good plane (e.g. Souther Gods' domain), and then where teleported back by an agent of good.
    • Wish and the psionic ability "reality revision" are stated as being able to "Transport Travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions".
    • Miracle can "Move you and your allies along with your and thier gear from one plane to another through planar barriers to a specific locale with no chance of error".
    • Limited Wish doesn't say anything about travelling or transportation explicitly.
    • The Epic Spell "Dreamscape" could be interpreted as providing the "Escape" capabilitiy, (see Dream Larva)

Section 1c: Useful Links
    Spoiler
    Show

Section 2: MitD
    Section 2a: Physical Characteristics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    MitD's first appearance in SoD happens "29 years ago" (SoD pg. 49). This is measured back from comic 1, so MitD is at least 30 years old.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD's appearance is both disgusting and beautiful, to judge from the reactions of the circus crowd (see 1b SoD Cannon). It is ugly enough to provoke vomiting in the stands, but still cause someone to exclaim "And yet... beautiful".

Body
    Spoiler
    Show
    RedCloak suggest that he could use MitD as material to create undead, which suggests he has a physical body (e.g. not a fire elemental)

Diet
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD is almost constantly hungry, thus probably indicating a species that requires food (but it isn't stated).
    Take into account:
    • He is not at all picky about his food, having been shown to eat almost anything ("His palate can't be that refined", dibs on a moldy cheeseburguer in sock drawer).
    • He has preference for stew (See SoD, and here).
    • He feels weird to eat babies (including veal), but not adults.
    • He has eaten scrabble tiles, and apparently didn't find them to his taste (but he was expecting donuts)

Show
    MitD self-identifies as male, forming clubs that don't allow girls. Also, O'Chul calls him "a good man"

Limbs
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has got stomping ability while holding an umbrella. No specific limbs are identified (feet/paws/tail?), but the use of the verb stomp requires physical limbs, whatever they are. He also leaves tracks, which Belkar can't identify (but he's a lousy tracker). The limbs are also dextrous enough to hold crayons (War and XPs page 415a) and draw (lack of quality may indicate clumsy apendages, or lack of maturity).

Head
    Spoiler
    Show

• Eyes: MitD has two yellow eyes, next to each other.
    • Face: RC makes reference to stabbing him in the face (War and XPs, page 415a)
    • Mouth: MitD presumably has a mouth, since he has a tongue.

Maturity
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has consistently acted in very immature fashion, which could be his personality, or it could indicate he is a child of his species.
    Take into account:
    • He is over 30 years old (see Age)
    • He hasn't changed all that much in size or personality since his earliest appearance
    • Many creatures (including demons and angels) have a really hard time fitting as MitD because of his child-like behaviour.

Size
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since his first appearance, MitD has fit in a box this size, and under this umbrella. This makes him human-sized or large.
    Take into account:
    • Rich has been known to mess around with sizes of creatures in the comic (Inexplicably large faeries)
    • MitD could be a young member of his race (see Maturity)
    • He's probably taller than a kobold:
      Quote Originally Posted by War and XPs c.368
      Mitd: "I know! Maybe I'm a kobold!"
      BlueCloak: "You're pretty tall for a kobold"
      MitD: "Maybe I'm two kobolds?"
    • If you do not object to using templates (see 3a: Templated Creature), the Dungeonbred template can be used to reduce his size by one category, theoretically allowing for huge creatures (but does carry the disadvantages of templates)
    • RedCloak was able to lift him and his box onto a wagon in SoD

Sleep
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has been shown sleeping in various occasions (in SoD, and after O'chul's and V's teleportation), and has admitted to becoming sleepy, so it is reasonable to assume he requires sleep (but it isn't stated).

Section 2b: Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD attempts to "hit as lightly as possible" and still sends both Miko and her horse flying through a wall, off a tower and long distance (the tower in nowhere to be seen, the mountains are far away).
    Take into Account:
    • If proposing a "child" or "runt" of a species known for great strength, the dissonance between his undeveloped personality and adult strength needs to be addressed.
    • See here a post examining possible ways the punch could have happened by the rules.

Defences
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD did not notice 5 attacks from Belkar and feels tickles when attacked by Miko.
    Take into Account:
    • It could indicate piercing resistance, DR, high AC, high HP or a combination thereof.
    • He got a paper cut from trying to eat a letter, indicating he can hurt himself (e.g. overcoming epic resistance, if he himself is epic, or indicating a natural armour that doesn't protect his insides), or Rule of Funny
    • Miko believes he has DR
    • RC knows he cannot possibly injure MitD by stabbing him in the face (see War and XPs, page 415a)

Earth Cracking
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD cracks the earth by stomping on it.
    Suggestions:
    • Consequence of his great strength: sending horses flying through walls and for kilometers take about as much strength as causing the Earth to crack.
    • Earthquake ability: like that of an Earth Elemental, or some other specific spell-like ability in that sense.

Knowledge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even though MitD displays lack of maturity (see 2a: Maturity), he has displayed flashes of brilliance:
    • O'Chul's comment he learnt Go! quickly
    • His ability to tell that a ritual was only the second half of a whole
    • He admits he doesn't actually try to think, and that he lets Xykon and RedCloak think for him

O'Chul's Escape
    Spoiler
    Show
    We know from Rich's words (see section 1a) that MitD was responsible for O'Chul's and V's escape.
    Suggestions:
    • Teleportation Spell: in D&D, teleportation requires the spell caster to travel with the targets, and more often than not to be touching the other targets.
    • Wish: Very few creatures can cast wish, but would explain the situation well. In its favour, MitD is surprised when his wishes don't come true (but that could be his child personality).
    • Plane shifting: Many creatures have this spell, but has all the disadvantages of teleportation, plus O'Chul's and V's escape does not match the effect of plane shift (in that they ended up in the same plane)
    • See also Section 1b for an in-depth analysis of teleportation options in D&D

Take into Account:
    • Difficulties with the teleportation spell can be waved away by Plot Requirement, or by suggesting MitD's box has a Dimensional Anchor (which can be read to not stop the spell, only the caster). Plane Shift, in particular, doesn't necessarily affect the caster (it is used offensively in OotS, although never successfully due to saving throws)
    • It has been pointed out that if it where a spell, MitD would have had to say its name out loud, which typically a spell requires (but not a spell-like ability or supernatural ability). On the other hand, not all spells have been said out loud in-comic (example: Xykon's mental suggestion in SoD), so it doesn't discard a spell either.
    • Other systems have spells or abilities named "Escape"

Psionics
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been suggested that MitD may have psionic abilities since we never see his limbs holding up objects, and as an avenue to explain his other powers. If he only starts to actively use psionics at the time of escape ("unshackling" his mind due to the stress of the situation), it would also tie with Rich's comment about discovering powers deep inside himself (see Section 1a - Rich's Words).
    However:
    • MitD is unaware of most of his powers, which doesn't suggest his mind is making them happen (so it would only explain the escape, if at all).
    • RedCloak, who knows what MitD is, had to research if psionics existed in OotS-verse. If MitD is psionic, why was it so difficult to know? (it has been suggested he may have templated psionic ability, or be a monster which can be psionic or not depending on the campaign setting). On the other hand, creatures can be psionic or not depending on the setting. RC could have known about the mind flayer in Dorukan's Dungeon, and still not know if psionic powers did exist.
      • If MitD wasn't actively psionic until the escape, it would also constitute an explanation: RC tested him for psionic powers and, finding none, couldn't decide if psionics existed or not.
    • The lack of visible limbs is likely a combination of the minimalistic drawing style of the comic and Rich's desire to not show us what MitD is.
    • MitD had to tip the circus cage to get to the bucket of stew; presumably a psionic creature could simply levitate the bucket (but MitD may be unaware of his abilities)

Rain
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been suggested that MitD could have (inadvertently) caused rain to help O'Chul rest

Raising undead
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD does not have the ability to raise undead, but can be used as raw material

Speech
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surpised MitD could speak, and in common (see 1b SoD Cannon)

Shout
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD can shout loud enough that it gives Belkar pause. This may or may not be an actual shout attack, although neither Belkar nor Haley were damaged, but they may have been Shaken, as in Frightful Presence.

Section 2c: Other Characteristics
    Spoiler
    Show

Categories
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD cannot belong to any of the following:
    - NOT a deity (vulnerable to mind-affecting effects)
    - NOT Construct (eats, and desires to eat; sleeps)
    - NOT Elemental (has a body)
    - NOT Ooze (has a body)
    - NOT Plant (vulnerable to mind-affecting effects)
    - NOT Undead (eats, sleeps, etc)

Challenge Rating
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich intends the MitD to be a credible challenge for the heroes - the watchtower scene was included for that reason, as explained by Rich. Since Rich likely has a target level the party will achieve by the time they face MitD, MitD must have a CR at otr above this level. As a rule of thumb, CR18 or higher is preferred, Epic levels being better.

Drawing Clues
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even though MitD is always in darkness, it has been suggested that by carefully noting the placement of his eyes, and of anything he manipulates, his general shape can be deduced. The general consensus is that he is either walking crouched or has four legs on the floor (from the placing of the stomp), and that he has a long reach (as when pulling on the rope: 9th panel).
    Take into account that this is debatable, and that MitD has not necesarily been drawn consistently

Environment
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surprised to find him deep in a rainforest. This discards rainforest as his environment, but leaves everything else open.

Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD remembers his dad "sort of" as BIG and even a bigger eater than he is.
    Considerations:
    • MitD could have been "adopted" by another species completely, just as he is in the wrong environment
    • MitD is still young and will eventually be as big as he remembers his father to have been
    • MitD might have a warped mental image of his father, from remembering as "big" when MitD himself was smaller; as such, he may already be as big as his father used to be.
    • MitD is mixed breed, and his father is larger than he will ever be

Knowledge of MitD
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD is very difficult to identify. Only the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters and RedCloak (see Section 1a) have claimed to know what he is, while what looks like a wizard in the circus audience admitted he'd never seen anything like it. MitD believes Xykon also knows what he is.

Species
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD was declared by the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters to be "one of these", indicating that there are more than one of him.

Mental Resistance
    Spoiler
    Show
    In SoD (pg.96), Xykon was able to command MitD (as evidenced by MitD's swirly eyes), indicating MitD is not immune to mind-affecting spells.

Section 3: Proposed Ideas
    Section 3a: Forerunners
    Spoiler
    Show
    This ideas have been shown to be more resilient than most to scrutiny. They don't fit, but the objections to them are small rather than large:

Dread Linnorm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Huge Strength
    • Wish (Sorcerer Levels)
    • Ugly (with high Charisma)

Cons:
    • Colossal - requires him to be a runt, which brings problems re: high-level spell access
    • Two Heads - requires a reason why it lost one (e.g. decapitation)
    • Immunity to all spells of the enchantment school

Dream Larva
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Worst Nightmare ability explains circus' reactions (as long as it is a 'young' dream larva, so that it is not immediately lethal)
    • Very strong (42), high CR, defences and DR
    • Dreamscape allows teleportation, with a certain amount or rules bending (see here for an explanation)

Cons:
    • Immune to mind-affecting effects
    • Dreamscape doesn't explain the escape all that well
    • Not known for its appetite, or its need to sleep

Hagunemnon (Protean)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Great strength (53)
    • teleportation (plane shift) abilities
    • adequate size
    • his shapeshifting sounds disturbing, but has 34 CHA.
    • Has no languages, thus being surprising it can talk.

Cons:
    • it's powers are psionic-based (see 2b Psionics).
    • Plane shift doesn't fit well with the escape as shown (see 1b: The Escape)

Templated Creature
    Spoiler
    Show
    A whole range of possibilities, it suggests MitD is a stack of Templates rather than a specific monster type
    Pros: Can be templated to have:
    • Teleportation
    • Psionics
    • Earthquake

Cons:
    • No Wish template
    • Probably violates the "can be guessed" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since the exact base type and templates use is not really guessable.
    • Its unlikely that a one-in-a-lifetime combination of templates would be so common that the hunters call it "one of these"

Proposed combinations:

Slaad
    Spoiler
    Show
    White/Black slaads only. Current Top Contender
    Pros:
    • Very strong, epic defences
    • Can teleport others
    • Disgusting appearance (humanoid toad)
    • Not inmune to mind-affecting spells
    • White one fits in the box/umbrella. Black only in the box.

Cons:
    • Tricky reproduction cycle means black/white slaads are unlikely to have a "father" (unless it is of the foundling variety).
    • MitD would have to be over 300 years old, having evolved through green, grey and death slaad varieties. This does not mesh well with his mental characteristics. (unless Rich has bent the reproduction flavor text)
    • It may be Product Identity (listed as such in d20.org, but not in the WotC legal documentation).
      • Even if it is, it may not be impossible for Rich to use it for free, unlike trademarked creatures.
    • Can talk common, and thus wouldn't surprise the hunters that he can talk. Unless, that is, slaads usually talk like this (but this is probably Rule of Funny)

Section 3b: Frequently Proposed Discarded Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

These ideas have been frequently brought up, but they fail in a major way that discards them. If you are considering them, please address the problem listed in your initial post.
    Tarrasque
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tarrasque is an iconic creature, famed for eating a lot and sleeping a lot. Unfortunately, there is no particular reason to think that MitD is an iconic creature, and Tarrasque brings several other issues to the table, the most important of which is its lack of teleportation/wishing abilities. Other issues: Tarrasque is traditionally unique and non-reproducing (not part of a species), far bigger than can fit under an umbrella and, at CR20, no match for the Tower's dragon.

Snarl jr
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the #1 proposed idea, the "son-of-Snarl" has a major problem: it does not match Rich's words that MitD is a monster someone else (i.e. not him) invented (see Section 1a: "it isn't something I just made up for the story" & "I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually").

Pun-Pun & Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pun-Pun isn't really something that can be classified as "one of those", and it seems likely that Rich made a joke of this idea when MitD suggested he might be a kobold, only to be told he's to tall for a kobold
    Quote Originally Posted by War and XPs c.368
    Mitd: "I know! Maybe I'm a kobold!"
    BlueCloak: "You're pretty tall for a kobold"
    MitD: "Maybe I'm two kobolds?"

Section 3c: Copyrighted Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show
    All ideas listed here, regardless of how well they fit, have a major problem: they are trademarked, or otherwise unavailable for Rich's use due to legal issues (see Section 1b Legal Issues)

Diawolf
    Domo-kun
    FF Black Mage
    FF Red Mage
    Godzilla & pals
    Heffalump
    Kirby
    Snorlax
    Spoiler
    Show
    Second best fit so far (and used to be best before White Slaad), since "They can throw incredibly powerful punches and cause immense earthquakes", is known for its huge appetite and its sleeping. It also grows from a much smaller pokemon, Munchlax, and fits in the box as an adult (6' 11'').

Shadow (from Babylon 5)
    Skull (from PvP)
    Tonberri
    Vatch (from Witches of Karres)
    Vorlon (from Babylon 5)
    Yoshi
    Q (from Star Trek)

Section 3d: One-off ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

Ideas that have been proposed, but no-one (sometimes not even the poster proposing it) was particularly attached to them

Anaxim
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct, no teleportation.

Barghest
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Eats a lot, and gets stronger as he eats (reference)
    • Greater Barghest has dimension door

Cons:
    • Not really all that strong, (max 26, greater barghest is a mere 20)
    • No earthquake ability
    • Dimension door doesn't explain the escape well
    • can speak (but not in common)

Braxat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not particularly strong, CR9 and can only explain the escape with Dimension Door.

Chi You
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vaguely defined. Weird looking, but not particularly revolting. Can speak.

Dao
    Spoiler
    Show
    aka "earth genie". Pros:
    • Can grant wishes
    • Can cast earthquake
    • Has a "shove" ability to push enemies

Cons:
    • Unsurprising it can talk
    • CR6, little strength, no defences
    • Not unusually ugly
    • Unclear how father would be "bigger and hungrier"

Draknor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sprouts from the ground, but we have seen MitD in high floors of towers.

Earth Elemental
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unstated how it would cause the escape, it cannot provide material for undead

Ephemeral Hangman
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:[*]Looks like a mass of black tentacles centered around a large maw and a trunklike body.[*]Large, but when in darkness or shadowy illumination, it can fit into spaces that appear too small for it[*]The base species prefers eating children "and others too small and weak to fight back"
    Cons:[*]Can't explain the escape scene[*]Probably too weak: CR7, STR 22

Epic Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Have access to Wish
    • Very strong
    • Like most dragons, it likes to eat and sleep

Cons:
    • They don't get the kind of strength and powers needed until they are way too big for the box.
    • Beautiful (sp. prismatic)
    • They are very recognisable, and thus don't match the circus' reactions.

Formian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two heads, but only one eye each, lazy & fairly ugly, but can't explain the escape and are not that strong. They can also speak, but only elven, not common.

Genie/Djinn
    Spoiler
    Show
    while able to cast wish, they can talk, they are not particularly ugly, and they're nowhere near powerful enough for MitD

Ghour
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decently strong, but insufficient CR and too big. Being a demon, it's morality and 'father' doesn't match well MitD's.

Gibbering Orb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't stomp due to lack of limbs. Shouldn't leave tracks. Too many eyes and mouths. No explanation for Escape, except far-fetched "ate someone with access to wish the day before"

Glabrezu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Access to wish
    • Fairly powerful

Cons:
    • Too big
    • No parent
    • Unlikely to change morality (since it is a denizen of a morality plane)
    • Low CR

Gray Render
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many eyes, and unclear how it accounts for the escape.

Grey Slaad
    Spoiler
    Show
    can teleport people both within a plane and between planes, but so-so strength

Grue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can challenge any lone adventurer, has insatiable appetite and sparse descriptions mention it being horrible. However, it wouldn't desire to be lighted as MitD does, and it is not known to have magic (e.g. teleportation).

Ha-Naga
    Spoiler
    Show
    Access to wish, and fairly strong although, being gargantuan, too big for the umbrella (when moving), and lack of limbs make several scenes difficult to explain (like pulling on the rope). Not particularly vomit-inducing. Proposing a child version reduces the strength bellow appropriate amount. Psionic powers could explain the earthquake, but not the tower scene.

Half-Giant
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strong and psionic, but can talk, unclear how it accoutns for circus scene and the escape.

Hoary Hunter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, can plane shift, but not revolting enough to explain the circus' reactions

Li Lung (Earth Dragon)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Yellow eyes
    • Reasonably strong, potentially challenging, and correctly sized up to young adult
    • Damage reduction
    • Earthquake AND a powerful roar
    • Plane Shift

Cons:
    • plane shift doesn't explain the escape well
    • Personality (sleepiness, constant desire to consume, etc) doesn't match typical li lung's description
    • As a young adult, it is not powerful enough

Neh-Thalggu
    Spoiler
    Show
    incorporeal

Nightmare Beast
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Fairly strong
    • spends most of its time looking for food, and then sleeping
    • Dimension door
    • Can't talk

Cons:
    • Dimension door doesn't explain the escape well
    • Red eyes

Pit Fiend
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cons:
    • Pit Fiends don't really have children and aren't child-like.
    • It is not surprising it can talk.
    • It can reanimate the dead

Planetar Angel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Has cleric levels

Psammead
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, too small.

Shadow Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros:
    • It can cast Dimension Door as a supernatural ability once per day.
    • Its size is Large as a young adult and adult, and Medium if it is juvenile.
    • It has damage resistance 5 when it becomes a young adult.
    • It's Shadowy and gets 9/10ths concealment from this....

Cons:
    • Not incredibly strong
    • Doesn't explain the earthquake or the escape

Solar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cons:
    • Solars don't really have children and aren't child-like.
    • It is not surprising it can talk.
    • It can reanimate the dead

Sphinx
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really strong enough; the suggested idea was a kind of rock sphinx, but that can't be found in the stat'ed lists.

Starspawn (aka Son of Cthulhu)
    Spoiler
    Show
    strength difficult to pin down. Amount of eyes difficult to pin down. Etc. But also thanks to such plasticity, fits fairly well.

Sun Wukong
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talks, no father, not part of a group, vegetarian.

Titan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: High Strength, mythologically, the Titan Uranus ate his children.
    Cons: The only way to rescue O'Chul is by using Maze, which fits badly. It wouldn't be surprising it can talk.

Truly Horrid Umber Hulk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fairly strong, confusing gaze might explain the circus' reactions. However, doesn't have teleportation abilities, or earthquake.

Vermiurge
    Spoiler
    Show
    revolting sight, but can speak and is immune to mind-affecting spells.

Warforged
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct

Wendigo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, fairly ugly, famously hungry creatures. However, no magic, and thus doesn't explain the escape.

Wumpus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't explain the escape.

Zodar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, and can cast wish (once in a lifetime). However, it's a construct - wouldn't require sleep. Also, looks like a obsidian statue of a 6-foot armored soldier, not something that would make people vomit.

Section 3e: Joke Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

• Inmune to blades, including scissors, but suffers from papercuts?
      Spoiler
      Show
      Must be a Rock
    • The most dangerous box ever:
      Spoiler
      Show
    • The fearsome Gazebo
      Spoiler
      Show
      HotAndCold explained:
      -A gazebo is obviously a powerful monster, devouring the story's PC without any chance of rebuttal.
      -It takes no damage from a +3 arrow, just as MitD apparently takes no damage from Miko's or Belkar's attacks.
      -Would you recognize a gazebo's tracks?
      -Or expect to find one in a jungle and even speaking in Common, for that matter?
      -It is, of course, a juvenile gazebo, explaining its roughly Medium size, rather than its being large enough for, y'know, people to hang out in it.
      -I... guess he could be a particularly ugly gazebo? Although technically speaking, the gazebo's never actually described in the story beyond its dimensions, color, and the pointiness of its top. So I guess one could argue the gazebo's horrific appearance.
      -The description states that the PC "awakened" the gazebo, implying that it was sleeping. Perhaps it had recently used one of its mighty and tiring abilities!
    • Chuck Norris

Version History
    Spoiler
    Show
    0.5 Half-way through, I hope. Still a lot to do, but posting to "save" current progress
    0.5.1 A few typos corrected (thanks, Dancing Fox!)
    0.6 Re-structred the spoilers, as per Shale's suggestion, continued to fill in section 3
    0.7 Combed 15 pages of the old thread, general clean up
    0.8 Up to page 30. Getting there!
    0.9 Page 40. 10 to go!
    1.0 Old thread combed to the best of my ability
    1.0.1 Added a bit more detail to Tarrasque
    1.0.2 Added mouth to list of physical characteristics
    1.2 Updated to page 10 of this thread
    1.3 Added quote from DStP that definitely assigns the escape to MitD
    1.3.9 Added a section on teleportation, adapted from this lothos' post
    1.4 Updated to page 20 of this thread
    1.6 Updated to page 40 of this thread
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-04-26 at 09:42 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MitD II: Lighting a candle in the Darkness

my 'it's a Warforged' idea already got blown out of the water, so I'll
    just congratulate you on how you presented the information.

Good luck finding out whatever it is.

-Acero

3. - Top - End - #3

BlueWizardGirl

Some points:

- Spell-like abilities do not use verbal (or other) components. If "Escape" was spell-like (or psi-like) the MitD wouldn't needed to have to say its actual name.
    - Plane Shift does not have to planeshift the caster, and such an interpretation is supported by the comic where it's more than once used offensively (though to no effect due to successful saving throws). (However, planeshifting two creatures without the caster coming along is a problem.)
    - Redcloak's ignorance shuts out the MitD being an inherently psionic monster but not other ways of being psionic. Those include the Phrenic template and some very unlikely things like having taken levels in a psionic class.
    - I think a likely possibility for the "Shout" is the supernatural Frightful Presence triggered when the MitD acted threatening for a moment and was about to attack. Haley and Belkar weren't visibly harmed but it looks like they both got the Shaken status effect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

spoiler tags within spoiler tags is a bit over the top and annoying. especially when
    Spoiler
    Show
    soem are even bloody empty
    Last edited by Andric; 2009-12-07 at 07:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to propose a little theory that is more than a bit speculative;
    The MITD is a genius by it's kind's standards.
    Think about it; the big game hunters weren't just suprised by the common, the line was 'It speaks, in common no less' either implying a mute creature or a creature with an INT below 3. This means that MITD could be an adult, but it has low wisdom and/or INT because it's race is animalistic. Unfortunately the list of Epic level monsters with an INT below 3 is VERY short, so my idea can be discarded rather quickly.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

6. - Top - End - #6

There's a direct connection between the MitD feeling sleepy, and the MitD using his powers. Each time in the web comic we've seen him sleeping, or announcing that he was tired, was immediately after using some powerful ability.

The MitD isn't "a creature that sleeps a lot", but "a creature that sleeps after using it's Su/Ex abilities".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by doliest View Post
    Think about it; the big game hunters weren't just suprised by the common, the line was 'It speaks, in common no less' either implying a mute creature or a creature with an INT below 3. This means that MITD could be an adult, but it has low wisdom and/or INT because it's race is animalistic. Unfortunately the list of Epic level monsters with an INT below 3 is VERY short, so my idea can be discarded rather quickly.
    Must it be epic?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry to repeat this joke again, but..

Resistent to scissors slashing?

Vulnerable to paper?

He's a rock..

So your saying that an intellegent race that doesn't start with common is an idiot? Isn't that a little rascist?
    Last edited by Inhuman Bot; 2009-12-07 at 09:10 PM.
    trill in da playground

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQueen View Post
    Must it be epic?
    Considering what we've seen it do, and what Xykon and Redcloak have expected it to be able to do, I'd say the answer is over ninety percent "yes."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    I'm sorry to repeat this joke again, but..

Resistent to scissors slashing?

Vulnerable to paper?

He's a rock..

So your saying that an intellegent race that doesn't start with common is an idiot? Isn't that a little rascist?
    One that doesn't speak at all must be.

11. - Top - End - #11

Really, there's no connection between muteness and intelligence. Please don't get the thread locked.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post

....What? No I said that the sentence implied that they're surprised it can speak a language at all....so there.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Considering what we've seen it do, and what Xykon and Redcloak have expected it to be able to do, I'd say the answer is over ninety percent "yes."
    Xykon's kind of notorious for having overly high expectations for monsters under his employ. Don't discount possibilities based on his judge of character.

Edit: and what do you mean, get the thread locked?
    Last edited by KillerQueen; 2009-12-07 at 09:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Really, there's no connection between muteness and intelligence. Please don't get the thread locked.
    Not in the real world, no. But in D&D you must have INT >= 3 to speak.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQueen View Post
    Xykon's kind of notorious for having overly high expectations for monsters under his employ. Don't discount possibilities based on his judge of character.

Edit: and what do you mean, get the thread locked?
    I'd expect Redcloak to have more realistic expectations than Xykon, especially considering that Redcloak knows what the MitD is (or at least thinks that he does), and Redcloak expects great power of the MitD. Heck, I think half the reason Xykon expects anything at all of the MitD is because Redcloak does.
    Eat Poop You Cat
    Round 1 (0/8)- Currently Playing: N/A

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Andric View Post
    spoiler tags within spoiler tags is a bit over the top and annoying. especially when soem are even bloody empty
    Yes. There's nothing wrong with a long first post in a topic like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

....What? No I said that the sentence implied that they're surprised it can speak a language at all....so there.
    My mistake. I ignored the "It's speaking" part, and focused on the "In Common" part.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

guys, guys, guys. guys.
    this is so obvious.
    obviiuosly the MiTD is a goddam
    Spoiler
    Show
    pimpin' snorlax Lv. 100

they can speak if they work hard see
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meowth

eat everything, always hungry
    extremely powerful
    quiite large
    ugly, as they are fat, beautiful, as they are majestically unstopabble
    the fat protects them from damage
    sleep a lot
    get wish
    get stomp
    lazy
    somewhat dumb

I am serious, it all fits!!! I solved what is the MITD
    Last edited by DarkElfGangsta; 2009-12-07 at 11:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Snorlax is too large to be MitD. Far too large.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Snorlax is too large to be MitD. Far too large.
    but as was stated, Rich messed around with sizes in the comic. also, Snorlaxes range in size. they get fat cuz they wonder and eat exerything edible right? maybe this one isnt as large cuz it is in a cage all day, with regular meals.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't have the sourcebook on me to compare abilities, but anychance its a plutonium dragon from the munchkin monster manual?
    the are most powerful at birth and get less powerful with age (half life joke).

or some other joke creature.
    possibly a pun-pun knock off (a kobald with so many feats and advantage/disadvantages that it has a str of 30, a char of 2 and has "large size" just to get extra reach/str/dmg die)?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andric View Post
    spoiler tags within spoiler tags is a bit over the top and annoying. especially when soem are even bloody empty
    One purpose of that first post is so that people with half-baked theories can be quickly and efficiently shown that they are wrong. It's a lot simpler to find information in clearly-labelled boxes than it is to wade through a post that would otherwise be the length of the average freight train. There's a hell of a lot of information to be contained in that post, and so far Grey Wolf has done an excellent job of compiling it all. Bitching about how some of it is incomplete when the old thread isn't even closed yet is JUST NOT ON, 'K?

By the way, Grey Wolf, here's the link you wanted for the "size" section.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2009-12-08 at 12:52 AM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

That part's a good idea - it'd just be better if they weren't nested. Having to click through two boxes before you can even see what the specific frequently-asked-questions are makes them a pain to read, which means that fewer people probably will.
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

24. - Top - End - #24

Hey, I like the spoiler tags. Please keep them, Grey.

New people: this is the continuation of an old thread, and Grey has been kind enough to gather all the information from the last thread into this one. Please shush with the complaining. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    - Spell-like abilities do not use verbal (or other) components. If "Escape" was spell-like (or psi-like) the MitD wouldn't needed to have to say its actual name.
    Except we don't know that he was reciting the name of a spell/ability at all. For all we know, he was just finishing his sentence while he thought them away. OotS characters needlessly call out what they're doing all the time. (Great Cleave! Sneak Attack!)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfGangsta View Post
    but as was stated, Rich messed around with sizes in the comic. also, Snorlaxes range in size. they get fat cuz they wonder and eat exerything edible right? maybe this one isnt as large cuz it is in a cage all day, with regular meals.
    I believe when Grey Wolf finishes the "discarded ideas" section, you will find Snorlax has been suggested and rejected several times over. Two words. Trademark infringement. Nintendo does not have a sense of humor, and they take their trademarks very seriously. And yes, I do think there is a fair chance Rich would get a C&D for using a named, trademarked Pokemon character as a major character in a for profit story. Getting a C&D and having to go back and change everything, possibly even printed material, is not worth whatever marginal amusement there is to be had from using a Pokemon.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    That part's a good idea - it'd just be better if they weren't nested. Having to click through two boxes before you can even see what the specific frequently-asked-questions are makes them a pain to read, which means that fewer people probably will.
    So you think they will be more likely to read a wall of text that's three screens high? My ADD says no.
    Last edited by Selene; 2009-12-08 at 01:52 AM.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    So you think they will be more likely to read a wall of text that's three screens high? My ADD says no.
    My ADD, which I will pit against yours in a hey-look-a-butterfly-off any day, says clear outlines telling people which bit of information is where are awesome, because they let me scan the page and immediately find the topic I want to ask about. Nesting the outline in spoiler boxes means I have to guess which section the particular topic I want is in, which strains the attention span.

In short, I find this:

Rich's Words/Start of Darkness Canon
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

Section 1b: Useful Links
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

Section 1c: Other Info
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

A lot more user-friendly than this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich's Words
    Start of Darkness Canon
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

Section 1b: Useful Links
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

Section 1c: Other Info
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be filled in later

Because I can instantly see what information is available where, while the spoiler boxes still reduce wall-of-text clutter dramatically.
    Last edited by Shale; 2009-12-08 at 02:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    That's assuming it's a spell-like ability called Escape, which is not necessarily the case. It could be a spell-like ability which grants a Wish, and "Escape" was the Wish the MitD asked for. (I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well, but that was the first one that came to mind).

Also, haven't we seen Xykon call his Paralyzing Touch before?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Might I suggest the "Move Earth" spell as an alternative to Earthquake?

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's assuming it's a spell-like ability called Escape, which is not necessarily the case. It could be a spell-like ability which grants a Wish, and "Escape" was the Wish the MitD asked for. (I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well, but that was the first one that came to mind).

Also, haven't we seen Xykon call his Paralyzing Touch before?
    Ok, I should probably have phrased that better.

My point was that the thing commonly called "Escape" in this thread doesn't have to be called that in the game rules if it's a spell-like ability since spell-like abilities don't have a verbal component.

So we agree.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Has Rich ever said specifically that it is not something that exists in the real world? If not, I have a very interesting solution.

The MitD is some sort of real-world celebrity, with ridiculously overstated qualities either of that celebrity or multiple characters he has played in the past! It completely eliminates the chore of finding something in a sourcebook that fits all the vague hints we've seen! The only question is, which one?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could it be a "Q" ?

Looks like how the hell it wants

abilities, what ever it says.

(edit for typo)
    Last edited by talkamancer; 2009-12-08 at 08:41 AM.