Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MitD II: Lighting a candle in the Darkness

In the MiTD's case, people were saying he's hideous ... and beautiful.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question How can we see the umbrella handle?

For the "magical umbrella that creates darkness" around the MitD, how come we can see the handle?

If it is magical darkness, then it should obscure everything, including the handle that it is holding it up. (As well as whatever is holding the handle up, of course.)

How come no part of the MitD obscures, at any time (that I know of) the handle?

Is it just "It's a magic handle" to give a better understood drawing of an umbrella?

(The usual apologies if asked before. It's hard not to on a thread of this size/age - and Search Thread didn't throw up anything for me. Nor in the intro. Maybe need a section on the Umbrella/darkness itself.)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

How did the MitD know it was half a ritual? I doubt that he learned from Redcloak.

Maybe he read Redcloak's thoughts without knowing it.

4. - Top - End - #304

DwarfFighterGuy

I don't have Start Of Darkness, so could someone tell me if the Monster's recognition of the ritual is because he heard about it from Xykon and Redcloak, or if it indicates that he does in fact has some kind of magical talent?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

We've never heard of this ritual before. Unless...oh wow. Unless this is the ritual that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak means to use to give the Dark One control of the Gate, and Xykon asked Tsukiko to analyze the half of it that is cast by an arcane spellcaster--the only half Redcloak gave him--because he correctly doesn't trust Redcloak to have told him what it does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Charisma means different things in different characters. Elan's 18 CHA shows partly as physical attractiveness, while Xykon's 25+ CHA....doesn't.
    He didn't exactly have a tree growing out of his face when he was alive though, unless Ydranna was just that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    We've never heard of this ritual before. Unless...oh wow. Unless this is the ritual that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak means to use to give the Dark One control of the Gate, and Xykon asked Tsukiko to analyze the half of it that is cast by an arcane spellcaster--the only half Redcloak gave him--because he correctly doesn't trust Redcloak to have told him what it does.
    What if he can adjust his half, to grant himself control instead of the DO?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Charisma means different things in different characters. Elan's 18 CHA shows partly as physical attractiveness, while Xykon's 25+ CHA....doesn't.
    To Tsukiko it does...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Out of curiosity ... people have been trying to pin down the MiTD's WIS and INT score, given his various reactions. What if the problem is an abysmally low CHA score?

At the beginning, MiTD has no force of personality. He is easily led. He is told what to do, and does it; he is told he's stupid, and he believes it — but he's not, not really. Is this a low CHA?
    That is low wisdom, rather than low charisma. As others have pointed out, MitD and Elan are very much alike, so it seems Rich's interpretation of CHA is more physical attractiveness rather than "force of personality", as you put it.

In this topic, I'm going to hedge my bets since it seems we are getting an MitD-centered (mini?) plotline, so I'll wait for it to finish before trying to second guess everything. In two strips, MitD has already challenged two major assumptions of MitD: one, that he is unaware of his powers (which he seemed to be even after O'Chul's escape), and that he is inattentive. Since MitD is not usually the center of the action, I would expect Rich to drop a few clues every time he is.

Right now, it feels more like character growth than clues, but there is something deeply suspicious about MitD seeing the ritual not just as a "piece of paper" (this is MitD, which ate a letter because it smelled of beer). Thus, waiting for all the info to be in sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing_Fox View Post
    For the "magical umbrella that creates darkness" around the MitD, how come we can see the handle?

If it is magical darkness, then it should obscure everything, including the handle that it is holding it up. (As well as whatever is holding the handle up, of course.)

How come no part of the MitD obscures, at any time (that I know of) the handle?

Is it just "It's a magic handle" to give a better understood drawing of an umbrella?

(The usual apologies if asked before. It's hard not to on a thread of this size/age - and Search Thread didn't throw up anything for me. Nor in the intro. Maybe need a section on the Umbrella/darkness itself.)
    No apologies needed; to my recollection, no-one has pointed out the handle of the umbrella as an issue before. I think that the prevalent agreement is that we can see the handle because of Rich's style, rather than because it is a subtle clue. After all, it makes no sense - if the darkness, magical or not (although it'd have to magical given the situation), is dark enough to hide MitD, it would also be dark enough to hide the handle. I just think Rich tried to draw it without the handle, and it looked funny/weird/unrecognisable, so he put in the handle just so it would be obvious it is an umbrella.

If you absolutely need an explanation, MitD might be resting the umbrella on his head, with the handle over his shoulder, so he would have his hands free. Or they used a modified darkeness spell that only hides the recipient, rather than the object.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-01-20 at 08:58 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I believe in core 3.5, High Charisma is described as "Being able to point out someone in a crowd"

Either way, on page 10 of PHB 3.5, it explains the combinations of the 3 mental scores (Wis,Int,Cha) and under the High Cha, Low Wis entry it says "A charismatic character with low wisdom may be popular, but doesn't know who his/her real friends are.

This entry really strikes me as the MitD summed up concisely. Agreed?

9. - Top - End - #309

Somebody pointed it out in other thread, eyes position in previous to last panel in #700 suggests average sized head.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Well, For me it's now pretty obvious. It has been proposed before, I think, but consider it again:

Prismatic Dragon. He has been kept in darkness all the time to stop his physical/mental development to a "controllable" level, otherwise he would be too powerful even for Xykon.

Main cons to this theory are:

-Size: explained above. He needs light for development, but he was found in a dark jungle as a "child", then confined into a dark box, and finally under a magical darkness. This may have affected him in many ways from the base stats.
    -Beautiful: this is listed as a con, yet this fits exactly in the horrifying yet beautiful like no other creature: it *has* a frightful presence DC40+, and it is described as beautiful.

Finally he is developing to adult (thanks to O-Chul in part?) and therefore getting access to sorcerer spells like a lvl 20 spellcaster.

Is this a stretch? Maybe, but I wouldn't feel "cheated" if this happened to be the answer, like I would feel if it was something obscure like the Dread Linnorm or stuff like that. Also it would explain a long list of things: why he wanted to be hit by the archons rays of light, why he is kept in darkness 24/7 even if there's no risk of being watched.

Plus a dragon... somehow fits here. I would love to see it.

Oh, and by the way, hi, first post here!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Also... I don't know if this has been posted before, can't see it listed. He certainly doesn't seem humanoid, see where his eyes are, ahead of the rest of his body(or where we think his body is). Looks like a quadruped to me, or at least definitely not biped or his head would be in the middle.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

isnt a prismatic dragon copyrighted by wizards ot coast?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TriForce View Post
    isnt a prismatic dragon copyrighted by wizards ot coast?
    Nope. It's in the srd.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    Well, For me it's now pretty obvious. It has been proposed before, I think, but consider it again:

Prismatic Dragon. He has been kept in darkness all the time to stop his physical/mental development to a "controllable" level, otherwise he would be too powerful even for Xykon.

Main cons to this theory are:

-Size: explained above. He needs light for development, but he was found in a dark jungle as a "child", then confined into a dark box, and finally under a magical darkness. This may have affected him in many ways from the base stats.
    -Beautiful: this is listed as a con, yet this fits exactly in the horrifying yet beautiful like no other creature: it *has* a frightful presence DC40+, and it is described as beautiful.

Finally he is developing to adult (thanks to O-Chul in part?) and therefore getting access to sorcerer spells like a lvl 20 spellcaster.

Is this a stretch? Maybe, but I wouldn't feel "cheated" if this happened to be the answer, like I would feel if it was something obscure like the Dread Linnorm or stuff like that. Also it would explain a long list of things: why he wanted to be hit by the archons rays of light, why he is kept in darkness 24/7 even if there's no risk of being watched.

Plus a dragon... somehow fits here. I would love to see it.

Oh, and by the way, hi, first post here!
    Issues:

1. At wyrmling, they're already Huge. Unless he was unusually small for being even a hatchling, he'd be too big for the various places he's been stashed. Specifically if he was transitioning from Young Adult to Adult, he'd already be Gargantuan and turning Colossal.

2. The "high cha/int, low wis" that seems to fit his personality isn't present: not only do they have high wis, it's higher than their other scores.

Unless being light-starved (unfortunately the SRD doesn't have the flavor text, so I can't read the entry right now) has caused him to shrink to below the base wyrmling size, severely reduced his wis (to a much greater degree that his other mental abilities, but not affected his ability to develop his caster level (which he would have had access to 8th level spells before that point, and simply never used them, but make use of wish on reaching adult). There's also his other spell likes and breath weapon that fall into the "just never bothered with" (or lost due to being in darkness) category.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Barbarian in the Playground

The SRD is copyrighted by the WotC. They've provided a friendly license to use the material, but it's not public domain.

You know, all along I've assumed that the MitD had unusually high mental stats for his species. But it opens up a lot of possibilities if instead he has unusually low mental stats for his species (which might still be pretty high, given the stats of most of the critters that can cast wish and the like).

EDIT: on the prismatic dragon theory - I would be a bit upset if the reason that the MitD was kept in the darkness was that he sparkled in the sunlight. OK, more than a bit.
    Last edited by Skorj; 2010-01-20 at 02:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    The SRD is copyrighted by the WotC. They've provided a friendly license to use the material, but it's not public domain.
    I haven't read the whole thing, and I'm no expert on this, but here's the layman's version as I understand it: there is a difference between merely copyrighted (you cannot republish -i.e. copy- and sell, say, the MM) and trademarked (it is a basic part of their business, which they won't let anyone else use because it would water down their own business - like using Mickey Mouse in your own comic).

So what have they copyrighted? In the legal document, the very first page stablishes what they consider "public identity":

The following items are designated Product Identity, as defined in Section 1(e) of the Open Game License Version 1.0a, and are subject to the conditions set forth in Section 7 of the OGL, and are not Open Content: Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master, Monster Manual, d20 System, Wizards of the Coast, d20 (when used as a trademark), Forgotten Realms, Faerûn, proper names (including those used in the names of spells or items), places, Red Wizard of Thay, the City of Union, Heroic Domains of Ysgard, Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo, Windswept Depths of Pandemonium, Infinite Layers of the Abyss, Tarterian Depths of Carceri, Gray Waste of Hades, Bleak Eternity of Gehenna, Nine Hells of Baator, Infernal Battlefield of Acheron, Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia, Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, Twin Paradises of Bytopia, Blessed Fields of Elysium, Wilderness of the Beastlands, Olympian Glades of Arborea, Concordant Domain of the Outlands, Sigil, Lady of Pain, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness, beholder, gauth, carrion crawler, tanar’ri, baatezu, displacer beast, githyanki, githzerai, mind flayer, illithid, umber hulk, yuan-ti.
    Bolded by me: I've marked creature types, which is what is relevant in this thread. Notice that they are the creatures that Rich has made jokes about, specifically in reference to them being intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast, thus using the one escape clause against IP: parody.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-01-20 at 02:30 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This is a bit of a tangent off the discussion right now, but I'm curious why Dread Linnorm and Dream Larva are considered front runners.

Granted, they both only really suffer from one flaw, but it's a bigg'un. Immunity to mind affecting effects and immunity to the enchantment school directly contradicts story canon (and a major plot point). Immunity to enchantment a little less so, as there may have been a non-enchantment spell that created the effect (but I can't think of it).

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Schadrach View Post
    Issues:

1. At wyrmling, they're already Huge. Unless he was unusually small for being even a hatchling, he'd be too big for the various places he's been stashed. Specifically if he was transitioning from Young Adult to Adult, he'd already be Gargantuan and turning Colossal.

2. The "high cha/int, low wis" that seems to fit his personality isn't present: not only do they have high wis, it's higher than their other scores.

Unless being light-starved (unfortunately the SRD doesn't have the flavor text, so I can't read the entry right now) has caused him to shrink to below the base wyrmling size, severely reduced his wis (to a much greater degree that his other mental abilities, but not affected his ability to develop his caster level (which he would have had access to 8th level spells before that point, and simply never used them, but make use of wish on reaching adult). There's also his other spell likes and breath weapon that fall into the "just never bothered with" (or lost due to being in darkness) category.
    1. This is indeed an issue. But shrink is a possibility. Still I see this issue much smaller than those of some options labeled as "forerunners".

2. Personality is not the same thing as stats. Being naive and inexperienced is one thing, having low WIS another... but most importantly, imagine a human being being lost in a jungle as a child, then put in a box for most of his life. Very likely his mental stats will be different from the average human...

And the monster is indeed light starved, being held in magical darkness perpetually. The effects of this would be appreciable in *any* creature, much more a Prismatic Dragon (Light Dragon).
    Last edited by DavidBV; 2010-01-20 at 02:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocdscale View Post
    This is a bit of a tangent off the discussion right now, but I'm curious why Dread Linnorm and Dream Larva are considered front runners.

Granted, they both only really suffer from one flaw, but it's a bigg'un. Immunity to mind affecting effects and immunity to the enchantment school directly contradicts story canon (and a major plot point). Immunity to enchantment a little less so, as there may have been a non-enchantment spell that created the effect (but I can't think of it).
    You've answered it yourself. They are forerunners because there is only one big thing wrong about them. Dream Larva is very attractive because its powers and entire purpose fits the circus scene better than anything else, and while it requires rule lawyering, it is well within Rich's power to do. Dread Linnorm is the closest thing to Wish we have, and thus fits the Escape very well. Everything else can be bent by Rich.

What else do we have? Take the prismatic dragon. It is huge, can talk, there is nothing vomit-inducing about it, and doesn't have wish. It simply doesn't fit anywhere near as well as those two.

Yes, I am very much aware that they don't fit well. They just fit better than everything else. Which is not saying much, but (like Snorlax) they provide a measuring device to which compare every other idea.

Tomorrow I intend to update the front page to version 1.2, since we're 20% into this thread already, and probably will add the Protean to the forerunners, mostly because a mutating mess would be stomach-turning. But even if we ignore the problems with psionics, it really doesn't explain the escape, either.

Edit:
    And the monster is indeed light starved, being held in magical darkness perpetually. The effects of this would be appreciable in *any* creature, much more a Prismatic Dragon (Light Dragon).
    Unless you have something to back that up, I can't really take it as an argument. A gold dragon isn't made out of gold. A silver one isn't made out of silver. Etc. A light dragon isn't made out of light, and I don't know why being in the darkness would reduce its size but not kill it. Now, if you have fluff text that supports your position, by all means post it, and then I'll reconsider it. But the prismatic dragon has the exact same problem of all epic dragons: it is huge, it talks, etc.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-01-20 at 02:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    What else do we have? Take the prismatic dragon. It is huge, can talk, there is nothing vomit-inducing about it, and doesn't have wish. It simply doesn't fit anywhere near as well as those two.
    Nothing vomit-inducing except a Frightful Presence DC 40.

Doesn't have wish escept that it has.

Can talk: Partially agree. But do jungle explorers really know about dragons? Or maybe it was so obvious that is was a wyrmling that they find surprising it can talk because it's almost a baby.
    Last edited by DavidBV; 2010-01-20 at 02:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing vomit-inducing except a Frightful Presence DC 40.
    Frightful presence: "It takes effect automatically when the creature performs some sort of dramatic action (such as charging, attacking, or snarling)."

Notice that Rich went out of his way to establish that MitD did nothing except stand there. There was no action taken.

Doesn't have wish escept that it has.
    As an adult. Which he cannot possibly be, if he has been starved from power. If he has not, then he needs to be gargantuan in size.

Can talk: Partially agree. But do jungle explorers really know about dragons? Or maybe it was so obvious that is was a wyrmling that they find surprising it can talk because it's almost a baby.
    As far as I know, dragons can speak right out the egg. And these are Stereotyped Big Game Hunters. By their very name, they know everything about hunting and the creatures, down to the most absurd little detail. That is what stereotypical Game Hunters are.

Edit to add: it seems that prismatic dragons have Climate/Terrain "Any land and underground". If they were really weakened and reduced by being in darkness, why would they be ever found underground?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-01-20 at 02:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

I haven't read the whole thing, and I'm no expert on this, but here's the layman's version as I understand it: there is a difference between merely copyrighted (you cannot republish -i.e. copy- and sell, say, the MM) and trademarked (it is a basic part of their business, which they won't let anyone else use because it would water down their own business - like using Mickey Mouse in your own comic).
    Grey Wolf
    I'm not a lawyer, but sadly I deal with this IP stuff at work.

You have copyright on anything you ever write, unless you explicitly release it into the public domain (this wasn't always true, but it's been true for quite some time now). Another person can only distribute what you own the copyright on if you give permission, that is, if you provide a license.

The SRD is available under the "Open Game License". It's not public domain. The license includes the phrase "You agree not to Use any Product Identity". Those items may or may not be trademarked, but in order to use SRD content, you have agreed not to use product identity items as part of the license.

Now, a Pokemon character is different, there's no license to begin with, and additionally the popular ones are trademarked. You can only use a trademarked character in a parody if you are parodying that character specifically - there's no general priviledge for writing a humorous work. The same applies to copyright - OOTS is not in general parody of D&D, so it can't use copyrighted material (without a license like the OGL) execpt where it specifically parodies that material.

So the MitD can't be any trademarked or copyrighted creature, except one of those allowed by the OGL, unless the MitD is specifially a parody of that creature (which seems extremely unlikely at this point).

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    SNIP
    Parody is not the only allowed fair use.

Warning: Legal copyright junk ahead:

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford University

Four factors of Fair Use:
    The four factors judges consider are:

the purpose and character of your use
    the nature of the copyrighted work
    the amount and substantiality of the portion taken, and
    the effect of the use upon the potential market.

Has the material you have taken from the original work been transformed by adding new expression or meaning?

Was value added to the original by creating new information, new aesthetics, new insights and understandings?
    A recent and clear example of this is the Obama poster, where an artist took a photograph owned by Associative Press and without permission or license, copied it altering a few colors. It became the famous "Hope" poster, earning the artist thousands of dollars (which he then donated to the Obama Campaign). AP didn't see a dime, because the use was fair, as decided in a federal court.

A fair use assessment strongly suggests that any non-tradmarked D&D creature would work, as telling a story adds new expression and meaning to a entry in a gaming manual. Come to think of it, any nontrademarked creature in any table top gaming manual would be fair.

However, if it was a character that appeared in any other work of fiction (I.E. Snorlax), no new meaning or expression would exist, so the use isn't fair, and permission is required. Additionally, if the creature is trademarked (again, snorlax) Fair use doesn't effect trademarks, so that would violate the law as well.

Not a lawyer, but studied copyright for 1.5 years as part of a masters degree.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-01-20 at 03:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Frightful presence: "It takes effect automatically when the creature performs some sort of dramatic action (such as charging, attacking, or snarling)."

Notice that Rich went out of his way to establish that MitD did nothing except stand there. There was no action taken.

As an adult. Which he cannot possibly be, if he has been starved from power. If he has not, then he needs to be gargantuan in size.

As far as I know, dragons can speak right out the egg. And these are Stereotyped Big Game Hunters. By their very name, they know everything about hunting and the creatures, down to the most absurd little detail. That is what stereotypical Game Hunters are.

Edit to add: it seems that prismatic dragons have Climate/Terrain "Any land and underground". If they were really weakened and reduced by being in darkness, why would they be ever found underground?

Grey Wolf
    If you go into high detail, you can find flaws in everything, that is true. However, I think the dragon is not getting the same treatment as the current forerunners.

Dream Larva is Extraplanar (can't volunteer for undead materials), is chaotic evil, inmune to mind-affecting, hasn't wish, can't be recognized by 99.9% of DND fans, is not beautiful, kills those frightened by it, and is a dream-themed critter and we have seen no dream-related references in the comic.

You're ready to accept that O'Chul and V weren't teleported, but traveled throught "the land of dreams" with no reference to it in the comic, and going beyond the max of five miles, Yet you find a problem with a guy vomiting when seeing an Epic Dragon with no rules to support it.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud your hard work with the thread and it's the most interesting one for me, but I think a couple ideas are for some reason being "privileged".

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Such an imposing creature, even doing nothing, is suposed to have some effect on people who see it! Off the rules effect.

My thesis, stretched yeah, is that he has become an adult intellectually now thanks to recent events, yet not grown physically.

I have no idea how dragons learn to speak, but really I supose every creature is thaught to speak by others, unless specified.

Stereotyped big game hunters may be experts in details of stereotyped hunting animals.

Would it be a big "stretch" to asume that in Rich's world Prismatic Dragons have the same size as other dragons (therefore are born Large), and must learn to talk like everyone else? It would be a larger stretch that assuming that this is what people watching in the circus experienced:

Worst Nightmare (Su)
    Each time a living creature first views a specific dream larva from a distance of 30 feet or less (or from a scrying effect), the subject sees the image of the most fearsome creature imaginable. This is not an illusion or phantasm; the dream larva truly becomes, for just that instant, the subject’s worst nightmare. Even if simultaneously viewed by dozens of different creatures, the dream larva appears differently to each one of them. Creatures immune to fear or mind-affecting effects (or warded by protection from evil or death ward spells) are immune to worst nightmare; all others must make a Will save (DC 43) or die from the supernatural horror revealed. Survivors (and those resurrected) are immune to the effect from that individual dream larva in the future. The DC is Charisma-based.

Also, from SRD: All epic dragons speak Draconic.
    Last edited by DavidBV; 2010-01-20 at 04:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Just want to point out that
    can't be recognized by 99.9% of DND fans.
    is not a factor. It cannot help or hurt anyone's case.

And yes, a primatic dragon is not as big of as a stretch as other ideas. In fact it fits a lot better than a tarrasque.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-01-20 at 04:12 PM. Reason: avoiding double post.

27. - Top - End - #327

I can't help but think that once we're seriously discussing Dream Larva and other stuff I've never heard of, despite recognizing the flumphs at a glance, that we've gone off in the weeds.

I really see only 2 ways this can go:
    • The "jabberwocky" approach - the MitD is a monster known from the "greater fantasy canon" but never statted as a D&D monster. This works in principle, but no one has had a convicing proposal.
    • The "template" approach - the MitD is an easily recognizable D&D monster, but with a set of qualites (not necessarily a 3.5 creature template) unique to the MitD.

We've been told directly in story that the MitD is an unusual example of his creature type, and there have been many template-stacked oddities proposed up-thread, but none of them has been very convincing. But mostly these have been on the theme that the MitD is smarter than his base creature type - and since there are apparantly no templates that give him "Escape" this hasn't gotten us far.

But what can we do with the assumption that his base creature type has the high mental stats associated with the ability to cast wish (or whatever that was) but the MitD has some template (or other special quality) that has given him in particular a terrible WIS?

If we rule out everything that doesn't "have a father who eats a lot", what are we left with as a base creature type? Sure, prismatic dragon, but what are we left with that doesn't sparkle? And are there any templates that would drop the MitD's mental stats, especially WIS, to what we see?

I'm still convinced that "needs to sleep after using his powers" is the key clue here, but I'm totally at a loss as to what that actually tells us.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Grey Wolf
    Checking Epic Handbook...

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

They make their lairs in caverns, but are not described as the secluded type, as they go out to hunt. Sometimes close to human towns as they seem to have a flamboyant personality. And eat both meat and light.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Thought you'd like to know, david, that double posting is expressly forbidden by forum rules. edit your post in include more info.