New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default prestige classes that disgust you...

Spell Addict(plot and poison pg 72), I found this gem a few years back and remembered it recently while building a boss for an up coming game.
    Their casting goes something like:

Level: --------- Casting Class Bonus:
    1----------------------+2
    2----------------------+1
    3----------------------+2
    4----------------------+1
    5----------------------+2

I'm working on a battle sorcerer, who has taken a major draconic(red) bloodline and a tone of dragon-ish fluff feat and maybe a fighter or crazy draconic prestige class dip.
    Now I would never use this class if my guy had not lost a bunch of caster level and I wanted to keep things interesting, but still it's just wrong.

In its defence it does have a few drawbacks but they realy don't make a scratch in the fact that at 10th level you could get 4 6th level spells instead of 3 5th level spells...

So, have you ever encountered something this bad?

ps: before you yell at me I know it's 3rd part and 3.0 but with no update it could still technically be used, I only brought this thing up because I had the book out and it's funny.
    pps: the fluff is kind of cool, though it was poorly implimented.
    Last edited by kentma57; 2009-12-07 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: prestige classes that disgust you...

Cancer Mage. You're diseased. Who would want to be around that?

In seriousness, the Incantrix is terribad from a balance perspective. It doesn't even pretend to be balanced with the base class. Same with the Planar Shepherd. Also ones like Hulking Hurler and Dweomerkeeper, where it's obvious the designers didn't read their own rules.

On the opposite end, there are the ones that are so bad, you just want to cry for the wasted potential. Any of the Truename PrCs, the half-caster PrCs, and the Rogue PrCs without SA advancement. A lot of times they're too weak to use, but they could be usable with minor, non-OP fixes that anyone with a rudimentary understanding of balance could make. Such a waste.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Tainted Scholar. Completely broken and completely unplayable due to the mechanics. Basically one of the easiest TPK machines in existence.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

...Green Star Adept....you poor poor construct idiot....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Also ones like Hulking Hurler and Dweomerkeeper, where it's obvious the designers didn't read their own rules.
    Explanation please. Not that I disagree with you, I know that both can be used in horribly abusive combos. I just don't know why they can be used that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    the Rogue PrCs
    QFT. I mean, what PrC's for sneaky classes actually give something decent to the class? Unseen Seer, but that's more cause you're combining it with Wizard.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Explanation please. Not that I disagree with you, I know that both can be used in horribly abusive combos. I just don't know why they can be used that way.
    Hulking hurler is broken because of the many ways there are to boost your strength. If you do not pump strength its power is much less.

Dweomerkeeper is just broken. Wish for no XP is one of the lesser problems.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Eye of Gruumsh. You have to spend the feat to use an exotic weapon, and it's a crappy double weapon. What do you get for it? Natural armor, and you can spit a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thrown object rules state damage is linear by weight after a certain point.

Hulking Hurler lets you throw based on your carrying capacity

Carrying capacity is quadratic by strength.

Therefor, with Hulking Hurler your damage is quadratic by strength.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Acolyte of the Skin. Mainly because I still remember how excited I was about it when i was reading the fluff, the first time I cracked open my new copy of Complete Arcane, the first complete book I bought.

I really thought it sounded cool, and was such a positive indicator of the stuff that lay ahead in the book... And then I read the Crunch, and was very very disappointed. I remember that disappointment everytime someone mentions it, it really annoys me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Carrying capacity rules. Carrying capacity is multiplied by additional Str. A Hulking Hurler can throw items=in weight to his Medium Load. Sharp thrown weapons add 2d6 per 200 lbs. So you've got one number scaling linearly, the other by a multiplier. That is never going to balance.

Dweomerkeeper gets spells as Su abilities. Su abilites have no components(material or XP) and cannot be dispelled or disjoined. The only way to remove one involves AMF. So you have a char that can get free Wishes and render himself borderline immortal. That is scary-good.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

The many versions of "Elemental Adept" prestige class. Virtually all of them are 6/10 or 7/10 caster level progression, and the abilities you get are typically not even worth the feats you used for entry. (Woohoo, I can change my spells to fire damage? Couldn't I do that already with the Energy Substitution feat?)

Arcane Archer. It's clear what it's trying to achieve, but it fails SO BADLY at it.

Any prestige class where text/table are inconsistent, simply because of the RAW debates over them.

12. - Top - End - #12

QFT. I mean, what PrC's for sneaky classes actually give something decent to the class? Unseen Seer, but that's more cause you're combining it with Wizard.
    Unseen Seer it a Rogue/Wizard PrCs.
    While shadow dancer is a Rogue Prcs that takes away the rogue's best way of dealing damage in favor of a few questionably useful way to defend themselves and some cool fluff. (ex: 9 levels(15th odd level) into the Prcs you can control a 6HD shadow that is gone for a month if it is killed of dismised, great...)
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.

13. - Top - End - #13

Blackguard and Holy Liberator. Because "Wtf, I can't just be one from 1st level?!" That actually goes for quite a few PrCs, but PrCs that make you jump through hoops just to get around a base class' alignment restriction are extra revolting.

Balance wise? Just about any PrC that grants +1 CL at every level. Frenzied berserker. Meh, there's too many to count! PrCs suck.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Hulking hurler is broken because of the many ways there are to boost your strength. If you do not pump strength its power is much less.

Dweomerkeeper is just broken. Wish for no XP is one of the lesser problems.
    Be more creative! Combo it with other things and cast an Explosive Persistent Apocalypse From The Sky! Why smite your enemy when you can smite a small country instead?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    Be more creative! Combo it with other things and cast an Explosive Persistent Apocalypse From The Sky! Why smite your enemy when you can smite a small country instead?
    Isn't that more an Incantrix thing? Ignore the level adjustment of the metamagic and profit?
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-07 at 09:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Arcane Archer. It's clear what it's trying to achieve, but it fails SO BADLY at it.
    I have had of these guys work out well in a game I ran once.
    Though it was gestalt so he still had full casting and I let him chanel spells from magic items when adding AOE spells to his attacks, and I let his classes automatic magic bonus to arrows stack with his bow's magic(Said that the bonus was untyped and there for could stack with anything).

But other than those minor factors/changes it was fine as it...
    Last edited by kentma57; 2009-12-07 at 09:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kentma57 View Post
    I have had of these guys work out well in a game I ran once. Though it was gestalt so he still had full casting and I let him chanel spells from magic items when adding AOE spells to his attacks, and I let his classes automatic magic bonus to arrows stack with his bow's magic(Said that the classes was acutaly untyped there for could stack with anything).

But other than those minor factors/changes it was fine as it...
    Yeah, you basically houseruled it back to being good. As-written, though, it sucks, since it's no-casting and the enhancement bonuses don't stack.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Unseen Seer it a Rogue/Wizard PrCs.
    I believe I mentioned this. Actuall, I can add one more to the list: Assassin.
    While shadow dancer is a Rogue Prcs that takes away the rogue's best way of dealing damage in favor of a few questionably useful way to defend themselves and some cool fluff. (ex: 9 levels(15th odd level) into the Prcs you can control a 6HD shadow that is gone for a month if it is killed of dismised, great...)
    And requires 3 horrible feats and a wasted skill. Oh, and everything of value is in the first 1-2 levels.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-12-07 at 09:15 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

I have had of these guys work out well in a game I ran once. Though it was gestalt...
    Yeah, that makes a big difference. I'd think the AA would work well with half caster progression, possibly allowing it to add weapon enchantments for free. Yes, you're weaker from giving up caster levels, but you're still shooting fireballs with a longbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Blackguard and Holy Liberator. Because "Wtf, I can't just be one from 1st level?!"
    This. Definitely this. I would add Ur-Priest to the list, for same reasons and more.

20. - Top - End - #20

I believe I mentioned this. Actuall, I can add one more to the list: Assassin.
    I know I just took forever to finnish typing, I left Assassin out because at least it gives full sneak attack, poison use, improved uncanny dodge, hide in plain sight and spells.
    It's more like a cool way to multi-class the an actual PrCs.
    At worst death attack need word and at best it is meant for more subtle in character role playing groups.
    Last edited by kentma57; 2009-12-07 at 09:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Unseen seer and Assassin are the decent rogue PrC's though. I can't think of any others that really give anything special.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #22

What disgusts me is 3.5's saturation of extremely narrow (thematically) and poorly thought out (mechanically) prestige classes. Every book came with a huge chunk of prestige classes, when what I would have liked would've been more flexible base classes and class options, with some prestige classes that had a slightly narrowed focus (but not stupidly narrowed).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, that makes a big difference. I'd think the AA would work well with half caster progression, possibly allowing it to add weapon enchantments for free. Yes, you're weaker from giving up caster levels, but you're still shooting fireballs with a longbow.
    Pathfinder's AA gets 7/10, the Arrow of Death scales (with Cha)...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Unseen seer and Assassin are the decent rogue PrC's though. I can't think of any others that really give anything special.
    Invisible blade? Nightsong enforcer? Dagger spell mage (same reason as unseen seer though for the last one)
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-07 at 09:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Blackguard and Holy Liberator. Because "Wtf, I can't just be one from 1st level?!" That actually goes for quite a few PrCs, but PrCs that make you jump through hoops just to get around a base class' alignment restriction are extra revolting.
    That's what the UA paladin variants are for.

Hmmm...
    Well, there's one gem in CSco: Master of Masks. Pretty much, you buy the book for that, and maybe for the feats. Oh, wait, you can get Master of Masks off the wizards website...
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Well, there's one gem in CSco: Master of Masks. Pretty much, you buy the book for that, and maybe for the feats. Oh, wait, you can get Master of Masks off the wizards website...
    I've looked at that, and it seems decent for a 1-2 level dip, but I can't see any reason to take it more than that.

That does remind me of Avenging Executioner, though. I think that ones decent.

Invisible blade?
    Horrible prerequisites, plus feinting still only works on your first attack in a round.
    Nightsong enforcer?
    Actually not bad.
    Dagger spell mage
    Kills your skills, and BaB. For a class that's supposed to be in melee twf, that's just....
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-12-07 at 09:47 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #27

This. Definitely this. I would add Ur-Priest to the list, for same reasons and more.
    Wouldn't a refluffed Cleric do that for you?
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Reaping mauler... poor, poor melee.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #29

SolithKnightGuy

[QUOTE=kentma57;7456952]
    In its defence it does have a few drawbacks but they realy don't make a scratch in the fact that at 10th level you could get 4 6th level spells instead of 3 5th level spells...

Tell that to the Dragonwrought Loredrake Sorcerer; at level 10, it's casting 8th level spells.

That aside, Spellwarp Sniper's pretty evil... the lost caster level may hurt, but Wings of Flurry without a save?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Wouldn't a refluffed Cleric do that for you?
    Exactly. A 20-level, variant Cleric with special rules for allowing "fallen" Cleric to swap levels into Ur-Priest (much how a Blackguard works) would have been ideal. Instead, we have Clerics of Pelor taking ranks in Bluff and Spell Focus (Evil) in hopes of leaving the church and becoming evil... in order to qualify for the prestige class.