New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Fey Flavor? (3.5)

Are there any PrCs or base class character options that give a character a kind of Fey feel?

I'm aware of templates like Half-Fey and the Fey Heritage feats but that's really it.

Edit: I also have the Goodman Games' Complete Fey, I just haven't read it yet.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2009-12-07 at 11:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fey Flavor? (3.5)

Warlock can have a fey flavor to it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    How do you figure?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Honey and sherbert.

Oh, you mean characters? Just sherbert. I mean, have you seen the "should be core" Witch class? Specifically:
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch
    Dabble [1st/10th/20th level]: Each witch has a natural affinity for one of the forbidden, secret, or obscure branches of witchcraft called the Arts. Dabbling in a particular Art can merely reflect the witch’s own personal preference or hint at some magical heredity. A witch descended from a humanoid and Fey union may naturally have a knack for Fairy Magic, for example, while one from a humanoid and weretiger coupling may dabble in Cat Magic, Moon Magic, or both...[*]Fairy Magic: Some witches tap Fey for arcane inspiration, drawing upon these nature spirits to augment their own magic. Only Nonlawful witches can dabble in Fairy Magic, a favorite Art of elves. Power: The witch speaks Sylvan and either Aquan, Auran, Elven, or Terran as bonus languages; if she already speaks Sylvan, she can select a second listed language. Spells: 0 daze animal, 1 faerie fire, 2 glitterdust, 3 summon nature’s ally III (satyr), 4 freedom of movement, 5 commune with nature, 6 transport via plants, 7 summon nature’s ally VII (pixie), 8 Otto’s irresistible dance, 9 summon nature’s ally IX (grig).
    Vulnerability: All witches harbor some secret weakness or undiscovered vulnerability, the result of the peculiar magic that flows within them. The witch acquires a vulnerability, determined randomly from the following list (or one approved by the DM): [list=1][*]Cold Iron: Cold iron weapons strike the witch as if the wielder has the Improved Critical feat (if the wielder has the Improved Critical feat, the threat range is only increased by 1). A critical hit forces her to make Fortitude save (DC equal to the damage dealt) or be nauseated for 1 round. Any cold iron damage can only be healed with magic.
    Other bits and pieces, as well. Combine it with half-fey and the like...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    How do you figure?
    It's explicitly referred to as a possibility in Complete Mage, the same book that contains Fey Heritage feats.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2009-12-07 at 11:38 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    It's explicitly referred to as a possibility in Complete Mage, the same book that contains Fey Heritage feats.
    All I'm seeing is a paragraph of fluff. Is there any actual mechanics change involved that wouldn't be a house rule?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlocks have to be any Chaotic or any Evil. CG is probably not making pacts with demons or devils for power... so why not with the fey? Lots of warlock invocations are tricky (Flee the Scene, that invisibility one, etc) or magical (the dispelling ones); and warlocks even get DR/Cold Iron like fey do. Just re-fluff it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wild Soul PrC from Complete Mage is based around the whole Seelie/UnSeelie Court deal, so it is most definitely Fey flavored.
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Feytouched? I saw an extract of it somewhere, it was like a fey version of the Aasimar. Y'know, ancestral thing, +1 LA, Fey type, spell-like ability and skill bonuses.

On the other hand, I know there is a Lesser Aasimar and Tiefling, is there a Lesser Feytouched?

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Warlocks have to be any Chaotic or any Evil. CG is probably not making pacts with demons or devils for power... so why not with the fey? Lots of warlock invocations are tricky (Flee the Scene, that invisibility one, etc) or magical (the dispelling ones); and warlocks even get DR/Cold Iron like fey do. Just re-fluff it.
    Almost all of the Warlock class as in Complete Arcane is obviously Demon based and very few of the new invocations in Complete Mage could even be argued as Fey based.

Forgot about Wild Soul. Will look into that one.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I recently built a fey-themed Sorcerer. I used Sentinel of Bharrai to get the nature-y element in, and Nightmare Spinner to get some of that good old Fey terror. You need to be Good aligned, but that's not expressly forbidden by Nightmare Spinner... and it seemed very "fey" to have a slightly different sense of good and evil. I also chose my spell list to be as exotic as possible, and forcibly constrained myself from picking even a single Core spell or feat.

As for actual Fey stuff, there isn't much. I suggest just reflavouring other stuff like I did.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Bard. No, really. "Sure, anyone can sing the words, but the magic comes from singing it in the key of Pixie!"
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Almost all of the Warlock class as in Complete Arcane is obviously Demon based and very few of the new invocations in Complete Mage could even be argued as Fey based.

Forgot about Wild Soul. Will look into that one.
    I have to support Glimbur on this, here. Heck, even the Black Tentacles could be refluffed into being gigantic vines. The flavor is entirely mutable. Mechanically, just grab the invocations that have abilities you feel would be on a pixie or nymph or a dryad, etc.

Hell, I even recommend describing the "normally" purple eldritch blast as a rainbow of flavor flowers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also: Consider 4e. Warlocks have 3 kinds of pacts, Infernal, Star, and Fey.

Really, warlocks are a class that rely on some kind of pact or connection with powerful magical beings. There's no reason that being can't be fey.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    Also: Consider 4e. Warlocks have 3 kinds of pacts, Infernal, Star, and Fey.

Really, warlocks are a class that rely on some kind of pact or connection with powerful magical beings. There's no reason that being can't be fey.
    For multitudes of reasons that won't be discussed as they're off topic, I like to ignore 4e ever happened.

Also, I'm not looking for refurbishing something. Retooling a class thematically or mechanically to fit a theme can be done for almost anything in all of Dungeons and Dragons. I'm looking for something clearly Fey based.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirit Shaman, from Complete Divine?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Spirit Shaman, from Complete Divine?
    I keep forgetting they consider Fey as Spirits. Thanks.

18. - Top - End - #18

No love for the Witch? Have someone playing it in my game right now, perfectly servicable (though his is mirror and number-based).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Fey Warlock Invocations:

Least: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast, Entropic Warding. Other possibilities could be Leaps and Bounds (especially if you multiclass Rogue or take your first level in Factotum with Able Learner or something), Dark One's Own Luck (those lucky faeries), Serpent's Tongue (scent = the Wild Hunt), or a number of others.

Lesser: Charm, Enthralling Voice, Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, Mask of Flesh, Walk Unseen, and Witchwood Step are all pretty damn fey-like.

Greater: Nightmares Made Real, Devil's Whispers, and Painful Slumber of the Ages are both filled to the brim with fey-fluff. Noxious Blast, Vitriolic Blast, or Repelling Blast are all invocations that are quite good and no trouble to fluff as faerie magic. Chilling Tentacles could be refluffed as vines bursting from the ground (EDIT: as was mentioned prior by Thrice Dead Cat). Eldritch Cone could give your Eldritch Blast some handy area damage and really doesn't need much fluff at all. Depending on the kind of fey you're emulating, something like Wall of Perilous Flame (make it look different to signify it's faerie fire and not hellfire) or Tenacious Plague wouldn't be out of place either.

Dark: Word of Changing. Can you get any more fey? Other good choices that are quite believable as gifts from some powerful fey lord are Path of Shadow, Greater Fell Flight, Retributive Invisibility, and Steal Summoning. Caster's Lament or Dark Foresight wouldn't be out of place either, nor would Instill Vulnerability.

Boom. Feylock.

EDIT: For even more faerie goodness, you could PrC into Arcane Trickster to focusing on the tricky stab-you-in-the-back fae, Virtuoso for that faerie song and dance, or Wild Mage for some extra fun. You could also go Ruathar, and then Swanmay.
    Last edited by Anonanimal; 2009-12-08 at 12:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

How do you figure?
    Because it talks about the possibilities of where Warlocks get their power from and mentions a number of different ones before completely forgetting what it just said and the rest of the entry is Demon powered fiery doom

Spearmint for Fey
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    No love for the Witch? Have someone playing it in my game right now, perfectly servicable (though his is mirror and number-based).
    It's homebrewed is why no love ><

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonanimal View Post
    Fey Warlock Invocations:

Least: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast, Entropic Warding. Other possibilities could be Leaps and Bounds (especially if you multiclass Rogue or take your first level in Factotum with Able Learner or something), Dark One's Own Luck (those lucky faeries), Serpent's Tongue (scent = the Wild Hunt), or a number of others.

Lesser: Charm, Enthralling Voice, Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, Mask of Flesh, Walk Unseen, and Witchwood Step are all pretty damn fey-like.

Greater: Nightmares Made Real, Devil's Whispers, and Painful Slumber of the Ages are both filled to the brim with fey-fluff. Noxious Blast, Vitriolic Blast, or Repelling Blast are all invocations that are quite good and no trouble to fluff as faerie magic. Chilling Tentacles could be refluffed as vines bursting from the ground (EDIT: as was mentioned prior by Thrice Dead Cat). Eldritch Cone could give your Eldritch Blast some handy area damage and really doesn't need much fluff at all. Depending on the kind of fey you're emulating, something like Wall of Perilous Flame (make it look different to signify it's faerie fire and not hellfire) or Tenacious Plague wouldn't be out of place either.

Dark: Word of Changing. Can you get any more fey? Other good choices that are quite believable as gifts from some powerful fey lord are Path of Shadow, Greater Fell Flight, Retributive Invisibility, and Steal Summoning. Caster's Lament or Dark Foresight wouldn't be out of place either, nor would Instill Vulnerability.

Boom. Feylock.

EDIT: For even more faerie goodness, you could PrC into Arcane Trickster to focusing on the tricky stab-you-in-the-back fae, Virtuoso for that faerie song and dance, or Wild Mage for some extra fun. You could also go Ruathar, and then Swanmay.
    Except most of those invocations have a more Demon feel to them then Fey.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You could reflavor a Binder, so that his vestiges are powerful Fey spirits...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Because it talks about the possibilities of where Warlocks get their power from and mentions a number of different ones before completely forgetting what it just said and the rest of the entry is Demon powered fiery doom

Spearmint for Fey

As I said, it's just a paragraph of fluff, no mechanic changes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    You could reflavor a Binder, so that his vestiges are powerful Fey spirits...
    Like I said, you can reflavor nearly anything in DnD to meet any theme. I'm looking for specifically fey stuff.

26. - Top - End - #26

It's homebrewed is why no love ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch
    Winner, Corenucopia core class competition: This Should Be Official [1st Place], Best Overall [2nd Place], Best Spellcasting class [2nd Place].
    It's not just homebrewed, it won an official Wizards of the Coast competition. Unfortunately, I can't find the original contest, but it's still a perfectly viable class.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As I said, it's just a paragraph of fluff, no mechanic changes.
    Small bit of a bother to me, so I apologize in advance. However, just because I describe my wizard's fireball as being blue does not suddenly make it do cold damage. Having my wizard's bands of steel spell appear as woodenstocks does not make it any more susceptible to fire damage (or damage at all, really).

In some roleplaying games, the mechanics are bound hand-to-hand, hip-to-hip with the flavor of the game. DND is not one of those games. If I want my wizard to be a freakin' shark that fires lazors out of his head, then I'll use Alter Self or Disguise self to look like said freakin' shark and begin to use describe scorching ray thusly. Could I have used the Ocular Spell feat? Yes, but that doesn't mean I can't just as easily describe the rays coming from my eyeballs as well.[/rant]

As for other classes that work to this in, Fist of the Forest may help you, as would Forest Reeve and Holt Warden, all from Complete Champion. Also, since no one has said it yet: Druid 20.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, you can reflavor nearly anything in DnD to meet any theme. I'm looking for specifically fey stuff.
    Why? What, specifically, do you want out of your fey stuff?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but it sounds like you're looking for a particular feel and not finding it. If you're just curious about what officially fey-related character material Wizards has published... you're probably going to be disappointed (I am). There's the Fey Heritage feats from Complete Mage (which are designed for warlocks but work for anybody), the Wild Soul prestige class from the same book (which, infuriatingly, doesn't work at all for warlocks)... and a few monster races with level adjustment; the only notable ones I can think of are the pixie, naiad (Stormwrack), gloura, half-fey, feytouched, and maybe the nymph.

There's also some material in this old column, but it's all 3.0.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #29

Bendraesar, aside from Snark's question, what sort of level are you going for? I think I'm gonna have a go at making the feyest fey-type fey-being I can (using material meant for characters - I don't think I'll make a dryad character, for example).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Except most of those invocations have a more Demon feel to them then Fey.
    I don't understand why you think that's so. Taking Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast, and Entropic Warding as your first level invocations, you have a character whose words are irresistible due to their supernatural beauty and allure, can speak to woodland creatures and to an extent control them, is supernaturally quick (20% miss chance on ranged attacks), leaves no trail, and can't be tracked by scent. This is by 4th level.

Get into lesser invocations and take Charm, Enthralling Voice, and Fell Flight and we upgrade that irresistible beauty and honeyed tongue. You can talk to creatures and fascinate them with your fae-given beauty, goad them into doing your dirty work, and you even have some faerie wings you can zip around with 24/7. Hell, rename it Fae Flight if the "Fell" part bothers you. Add Flyby Attack and you're screwing with people as you fly out of range. You can have a character that never stops moving, essentially. Alternatively, Curse of Despair means that all of those faerie curses you read about in essentially every faerie story is at your fingertips, or you're turning invisible to play tricks on ill-fated travelers.

Then we have greater invocations. With Nightmares Made Real, Painful Slumber of the Ages, and Devil's Whispers, you have someone who can turn an area into a mini-Feywild, plunge people into an endless slumber (perhaps they think they're in a wonderful faerie dreamworld--this ability just SCREAMS fae), and your supernatural powers of persuasion have evolved even further. "Hey, if you do that incredibly dangerous thing, I'll give you a kiss." "OK!"

When dark invocations come around, you're turning people into frogs for inciting your wrath, flying faster than before (or flying for the first time) with those sparkly dragonfly wings, and are so damn pretty and persuasive you can convince the creatures your enemies summon to go ahead and serve you instead.

It is specifically said in the book that Warlock comes out in that some Warlocks make their powers by dealing with Fey, and taking these invocations gives you quintessential fey abilities. To me, these abilities are indisputably fae-specific, and though some qualities are shared with demons (the silver tongue), they're even more indicative of fey. It seems to me you're just thinking of something very different when you think of faerie powers.
    Last edited by Anonanimal; 2009-12-08 at 01:00 AM.