New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Undead Immunities

Are undead creatures immune to dazing? I know that they are immune to stunning, and mind-affecting effects, but what about the actual condition "dazed"?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Undead Immunities

No, being Necropolitan does not automatically allow you to engage in no-drawback Celerity cheese. >_<
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-12-08 at 09:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Features of undead, from the SRD:

* 12-sided Hit Dice.
    * Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
    * Good Will saves.
    * Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Traits

An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
    * Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    * Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
    * Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

So, like Foryn Gilnith said, no. They're not immune.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Undead Immunities

Oh, well. And it wasn't for Celerity cheese, in any case. In one of my campaigns, I might be facing somebody whose attacks also daze you for a single round, barring a Fort save.

That now clarified, I think an undead would be immune anyway, since they're (mostly) immune to Fort saves. Now, am I correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Oh, well. And it wasn't for Celerity cheese, in any case. In one of my campaigns, I might be facing somebody whose attacks also daze you for a single round, barring a Fort save.

That now clarified, I think an undead would be immune anyway, since they're (mostly) immune to Fort saves. Now, am I correct?
    Yes. You are. As long as the attacks can't daze objects...
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Unless it works on objects (animated objects, maybe?), the fact that it allows a fort save means undead are immune.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I have to agree. Being as "aware" of the undead, daze is a no-go

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nothing is inherently immune to being dazed. That's kinda the point of that particular condition.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Unless it works on objects (animated objects, maybe?), the fact that it allows a fort save means undead are immune.
    I think animated objects count as creatures, though I may be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Nothing is inherently immune to being dazed. That's kinda the point of that particular condition.
    Huh. Funny...I could swear it said right in the SRD that undead are immune to Fortitude saves, except ones that affect objects. You can't daze an object as far as I know, so undead are immune as long as it's a Fortitude save they have to make.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Huh. Funny...I could swear it said right in the SRD that undead are immune to Fortitude saves, except ones that affect objects. You can't daze an object as far as I know, so undead are immune as long as it's a Fortitude save they have to make.
    You can't daze an object as far as I know, so undead are immune as long as it's a Fortitude save they have to make.
    as long as it's a Fortitude save they have to make.

That's not necessarily very long.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    That's not necessarily very long.
    I'm confused.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Are undead creatures immune to dazing? I know that they are immune to stunning, and mind-affecting effects, but what about the actual condition "dazed"?
    There are two types of "dazed", either the condition conferred on a target by casting an offensive spell (which is pretty much always has the mind-affecting tag), or as a drawback to some kind of defensive or utility spell/ability that is trying to rape the action economy (Celerity, Born of Three Thunders, etc.). Undead are immune to the first kind, but not the second kind.