Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AzureDistress's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Golem Character? 3.5 help

    I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make a golem character that doesn't have a huge LA? And please know that I do NOT wish to play a warforged. I really am trying to make a stitched up flesh golem that is medium size.

    The presmise (if it'll help) is based off of Azure Balmung from .Hack//G.U. Don't open if you don't want spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

    Essentially a tool/champion for Aura, 'goddess' of light from The World(who will be an aspect of pelor for the character) who is stitched up, has wings, and is a Golem/Mindless/e.t.c. Uses a longsword/katana
    Reference Site


    One of my ideas is to use the flesh golem monster class, but that might suck. Another was to scale down the Hd of the flesh golem to make it medium in size.

    Either way I plan on attaching wings to him and add on either fighter or Psionic Warrior

    Can anyone help? Anything is helpful
    Last edited by AzureDistress; 2009-12-08 at 12:44 PM.
    ~^Avatar by Crimmy^~

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    dsmiles's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In the T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Ask you DM to homebrew a "lesser golem", or do it yourself. Otherwise, I don't know that an awakened construct or incarnate construct is the way to go for low LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Take a look at the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. Its an Intelligent Construct with 10HD and a +6 LA (taken form the 3.0-3.5 upgrade). The LA may be kinda high, but it seems to fit your concept. It's Alter Self at will might be able to give you wings if you bring it up with the DM. The relevant changes would be as follows:

    Nimblewright: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; Balance +9, Jump +19, Tumble +22;
    Combat ExpertiseB, Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Mobility,
    Spring Attack; LA +6; Gains 20 bonus hit points (change to Construct type); HD
    become 10d10+20 (75 hp). Change rapier-hand damage to 2d6+4/1520, and
    adjust Augmented Criticals entry accordingly. Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites:
    Craft Construct, geas/quest, haste, limited wish, and polymorph any object;
    Market Price: 22,000 gp; Cost to Create: 18,500 gp (including 7,500 for the
    body) + 580 XP.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-12-08 at 01:18 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mongoose87's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Play a warforged? Trade LA +1 for powerful build or large size.

    EDIT: MY reading comprehension is poor.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-12-08 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Is there any particular mechanical thing you need? Because you could just play a human/elf/anything which the described cometical features. I'm sure there is a graft somewhere for wings.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    dsmiles's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In the T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Is there any particular mechanical thing you need? Because you could just play a human/elf/anything which the described cometical features. I'm sure there is a graft somewhere for wings.
    If you went this route, you could play an Avariel. IIRC they are +2 LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Edwin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Is there any particular mechanical thing you need? Because you could just play a human/elf/anything which the described cometical features. I'm sure there is a graft somewhere for wings.
    There are grafts for a lot of things, hell, you can even get a pump that shoots saliva for you, but they're all so ridiculously expensive, he won't be able to pay for it unless he's high level.

    But, if this is the way, there are wing grafts in one of the dragon books. Dragon Magic, probably.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by AzureDistress View Post
    I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make a golem character that doesn't have a huge LA? And please know that I do NOT wish to play a warforged. I really am trying to make a stitched up flesh golem that is medium size.

    The presmise (if it'll help) is based off of Azure Balmung from .Hack//G.U. Don't open if you don't want spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

    Essentially a tool/champion for Aura, 'goddess' of light from The World(who will be an aspect of pelor for the character) who is stitched up, has wings, and is a Golem/Mindless/e.t.c. Uses a longsword/katana
    Reference Site


    One of my ideas is to use the flesh golem monster class, but that might suck. Another was to scale down the Hd of the flesh golem to make it medium in size.

    Either way I plan on attaching wings to him and add on either fighter or Psionic Warrior

    Can anyone help? Anything is helpful
    Play An Astral Construct as a character?
    Warforged are constructs.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    If you went this route, you could play an Avariel. IIRC they are +2 LA.
    Or raptorian, no LA.

    Also Starbuck II, where is your avatar from?
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-12-08 at 01:39 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    I have no clue, I was googling images for an avatar and it came up. Has a similar appearance to me so I chose it.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cieyrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    Take a look at the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. Its an Intelligent Construct with 10HD and a +6 LA (taken form the 3.0-3.5 upgrade). The LA may be kinda high, but it seems to fit your concept. It's Alter Self at will might be able to give you wings if you bring it up with the DM. The relevant changes would be as follows:

    Nimblewright: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; Balance +9, Jump +19, Tumble +22;
    Combat ExpertiseB, Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Mobility,
    Spring Attack; LA +6; Gains 20 bonus hit points (change to Construct type); HD
    become 10d10+20 (75 hp). Change rapier-hand damage to 2d6+4/1520, and
    adjust Augmented Criticals entry accordingly. Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites:
    Craft Construct, geas/quest, haste, limited wish, and polymorph any object;
    Market Price: 22,000 gp; Cost to Create: 18,500 gp (including 7,500 for the
    body) + 580 XP.
    OOO, I love Nimblewrights! *squee*

    Now, if I could just manage to figure out whether I could bootleg one into Swiftblade and I'll be happy for quite a while.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

    My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kosjsjach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montreal-ish
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    The Soulstitched.

    This sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's not official, but it's certainly flavorful and doesn't seem overtly broken. It's basically Frankenstien's Monster meets Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas meets Warforged.

    EDIT: Hold that thought, here's a version from these very forums.
    Last edited by Kosjsjach; 2009-12-08 at 05:11 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vizzerdrix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    You could also try an Awakened Human Effigy creature.
    I second this one.

    as for wings, you can use the aberrant feats to get them.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2009-12-08 at 09:56 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,


    Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Olo Demonsbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Feathered Wings is a graft costing 10,000gp and giving one a flight speed of twice their land speed (good maneuverability).
    Awesome avatar by the amazing Serpentine!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    Spell Mastery. Seriously a Wizard without Spell Mastery is like a Fighter without Weapon Focus: possible, but why?

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by AzureDistress View Post
    I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make a golem character that doesn't have a huge LA? And please know that I do NOT wish to play a warforged. I really am trying to make a stitched up flesh golem that is medium size.
    Out of curiosity, why not warforged? Just retool the fluff so that his exterior is made of stitched up flesh and not wood and metal (not unlike terminator). They do gain half benefit from healing anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by AzureDistress View Post
    Essentially a tool/champion for Aura, 'goddess' of light from The World(who will be an aspect of pelor for the character) who is stitched up, has wings, and is a Golem/Mindless/e.t.c. Uses a longsword/katana
    I know nothing about Hack, but in D&D parlance, "Mindless" is a triat where the int score is 0 or some such. Essentially obedient unthinking minions like animated skeletons (and yes, golems) capable of only simple tasks. PCs are rarely allowed to play mindless characters. You might want to clarify what you mean by this term.

    Wing-wise you can buy grafts as mentioned above. Some classes also give wings as class features (my favorite is the geomancer PrC, but there are also others like the dragon shaman).
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    .hack Wiki says:
    Azure Balmung seemingly has little to no personality. He mindlessly goes about his job of defending the system, seemingly specializing in destroying AIDA. Azure Balmung has no speaking lines, but speaks normally when using an Art. He also speaks (unvoiced) in corrupted text after receiving an item.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Out of curiosity, why not warforged? Just retool the fluff so that his exterior is made of stitched up flesh and not wood and metal (not unlike terminator). They do gain half benefit from healing anyway.
    I second this. There are many grafts that can make the wings work. See Magic of Eberron.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Cyclocone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bracada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Crystal Keep has the Half-Flesh Golem template.
    No official LA though.

    Also, Green Star Adept. You know you want to!
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Prime32's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    I second this. There are many grafts that can make the wings work. See Magic of Eberron.
    The dragonborn template would also grant wings while keeping your Construct type.

    And yeah, there's half-golem. Half-dragonflesh can give you a 120ft fly speed if you attach two wings.


    But seriously, a "golem" in D&D is something which cannot think for itself (and thus cannot gain class levels or use any kind of strategy) and is immune to magic. Your concept seems far closer to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat (or even an undead).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-12-09 at 09:49 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Feathered Wings is a graft costing 10,000gp and giving one a flight speed of twice their land speed (good maneuverabilit
    Where is this from?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    But seriously, a "golem" in D&D is something which cannot think for itself (and thus cannot gain class levels or use any kind of strategy) and is immune to magic. Your concept seems far closer to a warforged with the Unarmoured Body feat (or even an undead).
    Mostly.

    Rare exceptions do exist though- the hellfire golem, demonflesh golem, and brain golem in Fiend Folio are all a lot smarter than the average golem.

    And there are constructs which, while not called golems, are basically that- the nimblewright (MM2), which has a water elemental rather than an earth elemental bound into it, is intelligent, fast, and good at disguising itself.

    (EDIT:- Apparently that one has been brought up)

    For "stitched-up intelligent flesh golem" Heroes of Horror has one.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-12-09 at 11:34 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On my back, in my heart
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Golem Character? 3.5 help

    I once made a villain who was a psion who'd awakened a psion-killer, then mind seeded into it's body. He was particularly evil because being able to surpress or resume the antipsionic field as a free action made him virtually untouchable to cast-tastic charries while still putting out 20d10 mind thrusts.

    For your problem, though, he sounds like a mildly-reflavored warforged. Say the armor bonus is alchemically-strengthened flesh or somesuch. Talk to your DM about wings.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2009-12-09 at 02:14 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

    Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

    Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •