New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default d20 Modern, any fun?

I really want to run a d20 Modern campaign, but I tend to run sandbox games, and it's not got the normal plot hooks you'd see in a typical DnD adventuring world. Any advice? Does it require more, less, or about the same amount of planning? Is it actually fun at low levels, or should we start higher up?

[insert all the questions I should have asked, to which you know the answer, here]
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: d20 Modern, any fun?

can it be fun, yes. the trick is in the world building, because of the modern aspect, you have to set up the world that would allow suspension of disbelief.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I played it for some time and the two biggest problem we found were that at high levels you can take dozens (if not hundreds) of bullets before going down and the setting.
    The setting thing was easily fixed by playing in our home city (our longest running campaign was set in a post-apocalyptic world) since everyone knew different useful places there.
    We fixed the high level thing by boosting weapon damage (by adding one die (guns), adding two dice(explosives) and by increasing the die size by one(other then guns and explosives)), set the max level at 12 and started at level 3.

But yeah it's a fun system.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I like the idea of playing in your home city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

At low levels it's pretty deadly (you're not exactly waltzing around in armor and a single bullet can kill you) while high levels basically turns the game into an action movie.

The Epic 6 rules (max level 6, you gain feats afterward) actually make for a decent film noir style. People aren't action heroes but they can take a few punches and dish out more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

D20 modern is very fun when you do it right. You can do a dungeon crawl (sewer/subway systems, or we once raided Area 51...), you can do noir, you can do sandbox (esp. strangers in a strange land type stuff). I really enjoyed a post apocalyptic trading game: Keep the caravan together, and trade between the few outposts of surviving civilization while fending off marauders, mutants, and radiation sickness.

You can do all sorts of things without any supernatural/pseudoscience stuff as well. Do a game about espionage, or cat burglars. A crazed cult who's planning to open a portal to hell through human sacrifice: but they really are just crazy (and armed). Mob wars. Things in the style of old radio plays (go dig some up if you feel it). Field researchers in the amazon (That gets nasty. You describe a real spider, and nobody believes you. You describe what it's real venom really does, and now they believe you less. And then their limbs fall off). War games. Adventure, whatever.
    Last edited by golentan; 2009-12-08 at 02:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7

If you are doing a d20 modern game, I'm so in.

My avatar will have a field day..

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

For whatever reason, nearly everyone I've talked to has much more of a problem with the idea that getting shot makes you take 5 points of damage, but that you may have hundreds of hp, making that wound nearly meaningless, than they have with, say, the idea of getting stabbed.

It is for this reason primarily that a leveled system like d20M is perhaps not the most suited to running a modern game. If you're willing to roll with the leveled-ness, then sure (the system does have some significant mechanical flaws, but nothing's perfect, and you can work around/overlook them if you're enthusiastic or dedicated enough).

Personally, the appeal in playing a modern game, for me at least, lies in the frailty of nearly anyone, making organizations where no one person you're likely to encounter is a nigh-invincible boss monster far more dangerous than some random dragon. Fantasy games are all about being a mighty hero like Odysseus who is known worldwide, whereas modern characters are like Sam Fisher: still totally hardcore, but for completely different reasons. It's for that reason that I'd rather use the Shadowrun system, removing/altering the magic and technology as desired, or maybe GURPS to do a modern game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

don't forget that hp don't neccessary mean how much damage you can handle but rather how lucky you are, and only the the last HD you have may be how many hits you can actually take.
    ugh...late nigt...spelling is teh fail
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMantle View Post
    For whatever reason, nearly everyone I've talked to has much more of a problem with the idea that getting shot makes you take 5 points of damage, but that you may have hundreds of hp, making that wound nearly meaningless, than they have with, say, the idea of getting stabbed.
    You're a bit misinformed. A level 10 character will have 80 HP or so and level 7 is considered moderately high in this game. Small pistols do seven base damage per shot, rifles and such do ten. And healing is quite slow*. It takes hours to heal as much as a D&D character heals in minutes.

*Unless you're playing d20 Future. There's a prestige class that can perform surgery in minutes.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-12-08 at 03:59 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    don't forget that hp don't neccessary mean how much damage you can handle but rather how lucky you are, and only the the last HD you have may be how many hits you can actually take.
    Yup, that's the most important thing to remember. All those shootout scenes where the hero fires into a storm of bullets without getting hit? In game terms, he IS getting hit, but has enough hit points that it doesn't affect him physically.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Also, bear in mind that your massive damage in D20 modern is your con score. So you can always die from a single shot if you're unlucky.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Also, bear in mind that your massive damage in D20 modern is your con score. So you can always die from a single shot if you're unlucky.
    Well, you don't DIE, you just drop to -1 HP. So you CAN die, but it's not a guarantee.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #14

I find it is easiest to make an enjoyable D20 Modern post-apocayptic campaign than it is to use modern cities. The sheer amount of **** you have to think about is crazy for modern times, while in a P-A setting if the characters say "we go to (insert place)" and you have never considered they might want to go there, you can (especially in a Fallout setting) just say "It blew up". Of course, it takes some work to make it seem not like a DM Fiat, but you can always say, "You want to go through the area the natives told you was crawling with Mutants? Okay..."

Gah! stop babbling. Anyway, D20 Modern is a fun system, it just takes a bit more work. DM well enough, and your characters will feel like action heroes.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

If you have a hard time swallowing the fact you can take as many bullets as you have HD, maybe you should switch to the Vitality and Wound point system. In that system your VP is derived just like your HP in a normal game, but is described as representing your character's luck/karma/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Your WP is equal to your con score and represents your character's actual ability to absorb damage. You lose VP first then WP. Weapons don't get crit multipliers, instead when a critical hit happens the damage is applied directly to your WP. You run out of WP you die. Only major characters get VP mooks only get WP.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing really wrong with D20 Modern, but its Spycraft setting, especially the Shadowforce Archer material, does it way better than the default. It even takes the standard, built-in troubles of the D20 system into account.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spycraft is a system of its own, not a setting for d20 Modern.

D20 Modern is a fun game. The biggest problem comes when things don't work like you would expect them to in the real world - this is OK in D&D, since none of us live in a medieval fantasy world, but it becomes problematic when trying to model things that you can do in real life. (I'm thinking specifically of the driving rules, which seemed a little wonky the last time I used them.)
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I can honestly say that d20 Modern is my favorite setting, with it's only contender being D&D 3.5. However, I almost always DM it so I can give you some handy advice. Yes, it does take a bit more work to DM it because the system is grounded in reality (to a degree) and that has to be taken into account. However, it's primarily a cinematic system.

For the problem of HUNDREDS of HP, two things to keep in mind. Hit points doesn't mean the same as getting injured (as mentioned above) and ALWAYS remember to take Massive Damage into account. Otherwise gun-fights really will seem to drag on forever and ever.

Also, you may want to house-rule the Point Blank Shot feat so that it provides a +4 to hit/bonus with shotguns to make them a bit more like people expect them to be.

As for planning...it does require a bit more. If you're not using monsters then that means needing NPCs, either do up a bunch of stock ones before hand or use the one's in the book and Menace Manual. The other big problem is maps and whatnot (or so I've found).
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

19. - Top - End - #19

Originally posted by Callos_DeTerran
    Also, you may want to house-rule the Point Blank Shot feat so that it provides a +4 to hit/bonus with shotguns to make them a bit more like people expect them to be.

Now this, I like. I'm gonna use that, mkay?
    Last edited by Vorpalbob; 2009-12-09 at 01:11 AM.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show