New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default queries about Scrying

in regards to the spell Scrying... can it be done one someone's deceased body? what about if it was turn to an undead? the spell specifies a person, i was wodnering about these "borderline" cases.

also, can you scry on an object with the spell?

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: queries about Scrying

Scrying targets a creature, not a person. Undead is a type of creature.

As for the dead body thing, that's a good question as I've never had to personally encounter it before. A body has no will save so is therefor technically an unattended, nonmagical object which scrying doesn't target.

But RAW doesn't always make sense so people just handwave that scrying also works on dead "creatures."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    in regards to the spell Scrying... can it be done one someone's deceased body? what about if it was turn to an undead? the spell specifies a person, i was wodnering about these "borderline" cases.

also, can you scry on an object with the spell?
    It doesn't work on objects, since the spell says it works on creatures. It might work on animated objects, though.

I'm sure it would work on a deceased person's body...they just wouldn't be allowed a Will save.

I'm pretty sure it works on undead, too, because the spell says creature, not person. Anyways, even if it was person, you'd only have to decide whether or not an undead person was still a person.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    I'm sure it would work on a deceased person's body...they just wouldn't be allowed a Will save.
    Why's that? Corpses are objects in D&D.

In my games, killing someone is a great way to stop them from being scryed on.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2009-12-09 at 08:43 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.