New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Parrying build? (ToB)

I can't seem to find any parrying builds around.

Been reading on the dandwiki, and saw a feat: Riposte v2. Can't seem to find it outside it though, so I think it might be homebrew.

If the feat works, it'll be fun to have a TWF Warblade, who parries, then riposte for AoO (and using the class feature that adds Int to AoO). There's also a maneuver (counter) that gives AoO in return for a AoO I think. Would be fun to provoke a AoO to parry/riposte, then AoO them back. If it doesn't, is there a way to get AoO on parry? The original riposte only gives AoA on misses (and says nothing on parry).

BTW, about White Raven Tactics... Wouldn't having 2 warblades who can do it bypass the ruling that you can't do it on yourself?

A>B>A>B>A... for each Ini until Ini=1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Parrying build? (ToB)

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    I can't seem to find any parrying builds around.
    That's because parrying, like this Riposte feat, is homebrew. And thus, I have no real suggestions about how to base a build on it ...

Note, however, that there are a few ToB maneuvers -- most notably Wall of Blades (Iron Heart 2) -- that simulate parrying, and do it pretty well.

BTW, about White Raven Tactics... Wouldn't having 2 warblades who can do it bypass the ruling that you can't do it on yourself?

A>B>A>B>A... for each Ini until Ini=1
    Yes, they could WRT each other. No, they couldn't use that to swap turns back and forth and back and forth forever, because they only get one swift action per turn, and after using WRT they can't use it again without recovering their maneuvers.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is Melee Evasion which functions like a parry... D20 + BAB becomes your touch Ac or your AC...

In a swashbuckling campaign, where armor impacts your ability to swim. Melee Evasion sounds good.... It would be better if it let you add your attack bonus... I could see that as a homebrew feat with melee evasion as a perquisite that does specifically that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    That's because parrying, like this Riposte feat, is homebrew. And thus, I have no real suggestions about how to base a build on it ...

Note, however, that there are a few ToB maneuvers -- most notably Wall of Blades (Iron Heart 2) -- that simulate parrying, and do it pretty well.

Yes, they could WRT each other. No, they couldn't use that to swap turns back and forth and back and forth forever, because they only get one swift action per turn, and after using WRT they can't use it again without recovering their maneuvers.
    Two Ruby Knight Vindicators, on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Two Ruby Knight Vindicators, on the other hand...
    Even then, unless you are basing RKV on Warblade (which is not the usual entry to RKV), it wouldn't work, since Crusader manevuers aren't recovered via swift action.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

though not nessasarily parrying you could do a counter esc build

Some of the setting sun and some others that are pritty decent... could be a fun build.
    especialy if you get roblars gambit or karmic strike which ever one lets you AoO if they swing at you.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Even then, unless you are basing RKV on Warblade (which is not the usual entry to RKV), it wouldn't work, since Crusader manevuers aren't recovered via swift action.
    Unless, of course, you use the other big RKV ability to recover a maneuver with a swift action and a turn attempt. Even a Swordsage based RKV could do it if he could manage to get into the class and learn White Raven Tactics, which I'm pretty sure is possible with a few feats.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-12-09 at 03:22 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Unless, of course, you use the other big RKV ability to recover a maneuver with a swift action and a turn attempt.
    Ah, I forgot about that one.

Probably because I consider RKV broken, and if one of my players asks for it, I'll nerf it or say no anyway ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note: