New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Warlock questions

If you are a Illumian warlock and have the improved Krau (magic) Sigil what happens? I know it says you can not use meta magic on your EB but the Sigil says that it is effected as if it was under the heighten spell.

Can you take craft feats?

If you take a PrC that advances spellcasting that advances warlocks EB and Invokes right?

Is hideous blow a trap and if so how else can I get it as a melee weapon?

Maybe more to come.

Edit: Does far shot work with EB?
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2009-12-09 at 09:06 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock questions

I'm only really sure about Hideous Blow. Yes, it's a trap, and yes, there is a better invocation for melee. Look for Eldritch Glaive, I think it's in Dragon Magic. It acts a a reach weapon that gets iterative attacks, although there's no base weapon damage, just pure eldritch blast.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-12-09 at 09:04 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warlocks can take craft feats but cannot create magic items that requirespells until 12th level

They do get an increase in EB/ invocations from caster boosting prestige classes.

Not sure about the illumian sigils

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    Warlocks can take craft feats but cannot create magic items that requirespells until 12th level
    This is only partially true. Before Warlock 12, they can't create magic items that require spells without someone else providing said spell. In such a case, the warlock would still be spending all of his time, money, and XP creating the item (Although, to be fair, I do think an FAQ, errata, or one of the later "core" books clarified that you could split the XP cost any way you like among people involved).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldritch Blast doesn't have a range increment, it just has a range. Far Shot will not work with it. Grab the Eldritch Spear blast shape if you want range.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    If you are a Illumian warlock and have the improved Krau (magic) Sigil what happens? I know it says you can not use meta magic on your EB but the Sigil says that it is effected as if it was under the heighten spell.
    The Improved Sigil (Krau) feat asks you to choose a number of spells to effect. Since a warlock doesn't know any spells, this feat is useless for a warlock. The Krau racial sigil itself increases the warlocks caster level for the purposes of item creation feats, spell resistance rolls, and any level dependent effects on Invocations.

You can use metamagic feats on your Eldritch Blast, but it has to be metamagic specifically for SLA's. For example, Quicken Spell-Like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability feats from MMI are fantastic for warlocks.

Yes, your Invocation caster level is as good as any caster level. You will have to find a way to get the spells needed to actually craft the items, or at least you will until you get your 12th level class ability.

If you take a PrC that advances spellcasting that advances warlocks EB and Invokes right?
    Yes, as long as it advances arcane spellcasting, or any spellcasting. Remember that Invocations do not count as spells, so you don't qualify for classes that require 'Ability to cast Xth level spells' as prerequisites.

It is. The great thing about Eldritch Blast is that it's a touch attack. If you use Hideous Blow it becomes a regular attack roll, which is much worse. In addition, you can only use Hideous Blow as a Standard Action, and it's still an SLA; you provoke AoO's unless you make a Concentration check, and it can be disrupted.

You cannot use Hideous Blow as a full attack, and the weapon damage is minimal compared to the increased miss chance. If you wish to use your Eldritch Blast in melee, Eldritch Glaive from Dragon magic is ideal once your BAB allows a second attack. You won't be able to add weapon damage, but that's incidental compared to the bonus of doing Eldritch blast damage several times in a round.

Maybe more to come.

Not the Feat, no. The Feat only effects projectile weapons, not SLA's. However, you might look into Complete Mage and see about buying Horizon Goggles, which have the same effect, but specifically do work for SLA's.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    This is only partially true. Before Warlock 12, they can't create magic items that require spells without someone else providing said spell. In such a case, the warlock would still be spending all of his time, money, and XP creating the item (Although, to be fair, I do think an FAQ, errata, or one of the later "core" books clarified that you could split the XP cost any way you like among people involved).
    This article from WoTC has a few different way of splitting the costs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I would suggest reading through this for more insights on the Warlock: Warlock Information Compilation

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It'll do nothing at all, because it is a Spell-Like Ability, not a spell

Yes. In fact, a Warlock12/Chameleon2 is the ultimate crafter, because he can make Spellcraft checks for the spells, and use the floating feat from Chameleon2 for the item creation feat required.

Yes, but qualifying may be difficult since you don't cast x level spells

Yes, it is. Use Eldritch Glaive instead.

Maybe more to come.

No, but Precise Shot does.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

the warlock can also use UMD and a scroll / wand to provide the spell for crafting. Crafting rules allow use of scrolls.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.