A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 167
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    The white haze that obscured your vision begins to fade and color and shapes return to the world. Pain like waves of fire receed from your body and you look up to see a crowd of peasants standing in a circle around you. The ground is cold and hard against your back and memories begin to float through your head...

    The assault on the Wizards tower...charging through his guards...Ellinae falling to the golems fists...the Wizard laughing as you all stepped onto the pentagram etched into the floor...pain as the world swirled away into a kaleidoscope of wrong colors and weird angles.

    Turning your head you see your companions waking up. You rise up, standing on unsteady feet as the world sways for a moment and then balances. The peasants whisper to themselves and back away. In the distance, at the base of cloud covered mountains, a dark castle stands...

    -----

    Out of Character Thread
    Spoiler
    Show

    Ellinae was your groups halfling cleric. She died in the tower of the dark wizard Renman.

    Everyone is damaged from the battle. You current HP is 75% of your maximum, and if you have any spells per day or other per day abilities, mark half of them as cast or used.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Grabbing his quarterstaff, Janastor pushes himself off the ground and stands up straight to face the crowd.

    Janastor is a man of normal height with a slim frame. He has long glossy black hair and light blue eyes. His dirty and slightly battered clothing is a rich maroon robe with gold embroidery and long ribbons wrapped around his body, and a golden belt.

    Hung across his back are two crossed staves, both which seemed to shimmer upon inspection.

    Looking to his companions, Janastor sees that those who had made the journey along with him had arrived more or less unharmed.

    "At least this time the travel was not accompanied by an explosion. Small pleasures." He comments towards them as they awake.


    Turning away from his companions Janastor takes a step forward and singles out one of the peasants, preferably one who looks like he has some position of knowledge or importance, and speaks to him.

    "Ho there. I apologize for our eventful entrance. We mean you fine people no harm. If I may ask a question of you, we are confused by our predicament; where exactly are we? What land, and if you know what world?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    If diplomacy is needed for this
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[27]

    and Janastor uses a swift action for minor shapeshift to give him 12 temporary hit points. Assume he continues to sustain this. (The effect lasts 6 rounds)


    Edit: And no, Janastor has not told his companions where he has come from or how yet.
    Last edited by Aecus; 2009-12-11 at 03:58 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sahre coughed as he pushed himself off the ground. Where was he? Was the first thought to creep into his muddled mind as he pushed himself off the ground. Everything went insane, if he hadn't been shielded by Paimon and Zceryll he might not be anything approaching sane right now. Colors out of shape, and that laughing. And Ellinae. Wasn't a bad sort, for a cleric. she didn't deserve that. Shuddering Sahre turned, examining his surroundings. Rest of the gang seemed to be out of it still, save Janastor, who was doing the sensible thing and trying to figure out where int he nine hells that bloody wizard had zapped them to...

    Ignoring the whispers of the peasants he began to dust off traveling cloths, then pulled a piece of chalk out from his bag and began drawing circles and symbols on the ground. They seemed to be out of danger, and without Ellinae looks like it'd be up to him to patch everyone up.

    "Hey, Janastor," Sahre called over, "Figure out what you can 'bout that castle. Whoever up there might be able to help us get a teleport out, or maybe a message."
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Cassandra

    Cassandra remains on the ground with her eyes closed for a few moments as she listens to the commotion around her. She's still trying to determine exactly what happened. She'd never seen those effects before and her mind is always curious about what she hasn't seen before. She puts one hand to her head, trying to calm the headache coming on. She feels the pain in her body from the impact and she finally sits up and looks around.

    Interesting, is her first thought, the peasants and the castle in the distance. She unsteadily gets to her feet and finds her balance, Well....that wasn't what I was expecting. She looks at each of her companions, Is everyone here? Where are we? She doesn't say much more as she evaluates their surroundings.

    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sigfried, like the others, lands on a heap on the ground, his black cloak looking all too much like a death shroud in this dark environment. Shakily, the Warlock gets up, dusting off his garments, making sure his resplendent armor still shines. He takes a look around, taking in the new surroundings and adjusts back into his normal, regal posture.

    Sigfried is dressed in a black hooded cloak, and that skin which the cloak doesn't cover is also covered in skin-tight black cloth. His mithral armor (which covers his arms to the elbow, his legs to the knee, and his chest) is adorned with an elegant pictogram showing an epic that Sigfried has taken many opportunity to regale his comrades with--his own. He fishes his hand into his black leather satchel, making sure everything is in working condition, and nods as he finds that everything is. He clears his throat, makes sure his mithral mask is on straight, steps forward and speaks up.

    "Greetings. Do not be alarmed--we come here in peace."

    He turns to Sahre and whispers, "Do you have any clue where we are? That damned wizard...my head is killing me."
    Last edited by Anonanimal; 2009-12-11 at 06:57 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    The peasants all draw back from you as you gain your feet. The small group, about ten or twelve total, whisper to themselves as Janastor approaches. An older man steps up to face him, his kilt a bit cleaner and cut somewhat nicer than the rest of the group. His long brown hair is braided and falls down his back.

    He glances at all of you for a moment, suspicion in eyes. "I am Lenay, strangers. You are in the village of Midlothian." He raises an eyebrow at Janastor. "You are in the King's land, and this be the only world I know of."

    Lenay stares at Janastor for a moment and then shrugs. Turning towards Sahre he say, "Hey, you there. That's a fancy drawing. And there's no one in that castle." He pauses. "Well, no one that could help you, or anyone you might want to be talking to."

    He glances at Sigfried and steps back. And takes another step. And another, until he has his back against the group of peasants behind him. "That," he says, "is a very serious mask you have on. Now. Who in the sons of woad are you all, and why are you standing in my village?"

    Standing up gives you a better view of the area. Ahead of you, far in the distance, stands the castle at the foothill of great mountains. One on side of you the plains stretch out and on the other a great forest grows in what look to be hills. The hills and the forest stand above the woods that have crept down to within bowshot of the village. Behind you the plains continue out of sight. Though the sun is high in the day, the wind is chill and clouds cover the sky, casting a pall over the green and rich earth.

    Spoiler
    Show

    DrakeRaids - I'm assuming you're about to bind a vestige, correct? Which one?
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'm first going to exspell Paimon, the bind Buer.


    Sahre ignored the village leader for a moment, focusing on the seal he was drawing on the ground. Closing his eyes he began whispering words and oaths in a tongue long dead, and slowly a cloaked figure, blades forming its legs and arms appeared in the circle. It stood there for a moment, nodded at Sahre then flashed, and vanished in an instant.

    The first segment done, Sahre glanced over at Siegfried and shook his head, "I never heard of any Midlothian, but I haven't heard of alot of places. Best find a wizard or a sage about. They can point us in the right direction," he said nodding to himself before gesturing over at Eldar, "Well? Any local wizards or sages about, and why won't the person in the castle help us?" Sahre asked before turning back to the circle and whispering again in that odd tongue, this time determined to bring a different vestige.

    "I'm not sure I can control Buer, after binding today already..." he said as he glanced over at the rest of the party, "If I act a little odd until dawn tomorrow... Well you guys know the drill. Forgetfulness, absent minded. But we need healing, no two ways about it. Just try not to let me wander off." he finished before turning back to his work.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attempt to bind Buer, because I just expelled a vestige the test is at +10 DC So I need a 30

    (1d20+15)[33]
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sigfried bows his head and takes another step toward Lenay.

    "I am Sigfried Alvine, of the Alvine Saga. I was born in a world of darkness and delivered it into the light. I have saved worlds from the corruption of man and devil alike. We were banished here by a dark wizard, but perhaps this is a sign of providence."

    His hand crackles with hissing and popping lime green energy, which forms into the shape of the Saint's Spear, a glaive made of eldritch energies.

    "It seems like the world you live in is in a sorry state. Perhaps we were brought here to rectify that."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    "We are not sure yet Cassandra" Janastor says in an aside to the other mage before turning to the rest of his companions.

    "Yes let us all speak mysteriously, display our powers in front of random people, and insult their world before we know a thing about where we are. I'm sure this will have no negative consequences. Though still, thank you Sahre we do need healing." Janastor remarks sarcastically and loud enough for the group to hear, but not much louder. "Try and be a little discrete at least, please? We don't really have an idea where we are yet, and I doubt the wizard was laughing because he sent us to a land of milk and honey."

    I suspect I will have to play the role of damage control, again. Fun.

    Quickly stepping forward Janastor attempts to take control of the situation again. "We all know you like to brag about your encounters Siegfried. Forgive him elder, he is filled with bravado, not threat. If I may introduce myself, my name is Janastor. It is a pleasure to meet you"

    "We are all in a state of confusion. We are simple adventurers and we do not know where exactly we are. It was not our intent to intrude upon your village. We were engaged in a fight that we lost and that sent us here as weary as you see now. We are quite befuddled."


    It is hard to draw attention to oneself with speech alone when others were making such provocative displays, but Janastor tries his best. "If our intrusion is a cause of anguish to your village we shall leave as soon as we have collected ourselves, but if it is possible may we inquire about the lay of the land and the location of the closest cities or hubs of trade? Or as my companion mentioned, may you point us to the closest wise man or woman?"

    "Finally, may I inquire deeper about the castle? If it just an oppressive lord I am sure we can convince him as reasonable beings that we simply seek information. And... if it is something worse in the castle we may also be able to solve such a problem if you so desire."




    Spoiler
    Show

    No offense meant all, Janastor is just a slightly caustic type of person

    A bluff check to downplay our abilities and another diplomacy check to try keep all the frightened peasants calm.

    Edit: I don't know how but my rolls got screwed up, I rerolled the two checks in the OOC thread to keep this place clean.

    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Last edited by Aecus; 2009-12-12 at 07:48 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Cassandra

    Cassandra is taking the oppotunity to look around and she tries to notice and commit the small details to memory. Such as, the villages buildings, wood? stone? What is the common material used for clothing? Is there only one main road in the village or is it a crossroads? Small details like that could give her hints about their location and the probably prosperity or poverty of these peasants. She tucks her hands into her sleeves while she thinks.
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2009-12-12 at 04:21 AM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    As the black shroud appears and dances on it's blades, most of the villagers scream and shrink away. The rest of them follow suit as Sigfried manifests his glowing glaive, and all but Lenay run away, fleeing into the fields and houses.

    Lenay stands his ground and swallows hard, sweat appearing on his brow. He glances between the chalk diagram where the dancing horror stood and the man wearing a mask of metal wielding a weapon of burning energy. He closes his eyes for a moment and takes a deep breath. "The castle is abandoned, shunned by folk for the haunting spirits that live there." He opens his eyes again. "Though I suppose those that traffic in spirits themselves should have no problem with those that remain." He glances around, making sure that his people are gone into hiding.

    He says in a low voice, "I might guess that you wouldn't be bothered by a man such as myself, but I would still offer myself in place of my village. If you defeat me, then there is nothing to be done." He steps back and slips a slender dagger from his belt and palms it, eyes darting back and forth. "Who will be your champion, if you have one?"

    Cassandra

    The houses that the villagers fled into are all made of stone, with thatched roofs. The ground level homes are long and wide, with smalls walls running around them. The road is not much more than a dirt path that leads towards the woods, where it joins a fortified dirt road that goes both ways, toward the mountains and the plains behind you.

    The clothes they wore were sturdy, made of what looks like simple cotton and leather. The men wore strange knee-length skirts while the women wore longer, simpler country dresses.

    Looking around, you see a few faces peer out from the open windows of some of the stone houses. You hear a few sobs, though the screaming has stopped, replaced by a cold wind that drives down from the mountain.

    Sahre

    The chalk outlines hum with energy as you finish the drawing. You feel the power reaching out to call Beur and bind her to your will. She hears your call and responds, appearing in a flash of light as a grotesque spinning wheel made of satyr legs. In the hub of the wheel on either side is a face; on one a smiling green hag, on the other a raging lioness.

    The wheel makes one revolution around the circle and then stops, balancing on a leg. The lion roars and the green hag says, "Why have you bound me to you, here, in this place? You should not be here."

    Lenay stares at the apparition with open mouth and drops his dagger, his hands hanging limp at his side.

    Spoiler
    Show

    This is what the house look like - old house.

    Also Aecus, it's kind of hard to Bluff and downplay your abilities when your friends do that.

    I'm trying to post it and write it from how the villagers would see it. I'm pretty sure they would freak out. It's nothing to you all for your friend to summon an alien being and bind it to his will; but for these people? That's scary.
    Last edited by dangerprawn; 2009-12-12 at 10:01 AM.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Spoiler
    Show

    Why do you think my guy mentally face palmed? You don't start making pacts with dead gods and brandishing spears of glowing energy in front of random peasants unless you want reactions like that. Which to be fair, some of the companions might desire.


    Sahre's vestige seems to be frightened of this place... that is not good.

    "There is no need to offer yourself. We will not harm your village, and we will not stay here much longer. It seems we have already worn out our welcome. Again, all I ask is you answer where we might travel to find the nearest hub of trade or city." Janastor speaks softly.

    Taking a step forward Janastor reaches down and picks up Lenay's dagger and holds it out to him hilt first. "Ignore the apparition. It is contained and cannot do anything to you."

    "Let me describe your situation simply. The sooner you get a hold of yourself the sooner we shall leave and thus take the source of your village's fright away from you. Perhaps, we might even investigate the source of the castle's disturbance if you answer well enough and calmly enough."


    Spoiler
    Show

    Another attempt at diplomacy that is probably doomed to failure
    diplomacy - (1d20+10)[17]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    My character didn't want that, persay, but I expected such a reaction. Unfortunately, Sigfried is kind of used to being the conquering hero. He's not used to fear anymore.


    Sigfried lets the glaive disappear. He frowns underneath his mask, and then finally puts two and two together and takes it off. He is in his early 30's, though still looks quite young. Though he hasn't shaven in days, it looks like he has, as he's had little stubble growth at all. Bright green eyes flicker with confusion (and yes, a bit of eldritch power).

    "...I'm sorry for scaring you. We don't want you or your village. We just want to help you. Even if we were to fight you, there would still be things to be done. What makes you so afraid to see heroes like us? What has hardened your heart?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigfried has a penchant for flowery speech.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Its not that Sahre didn't realize that would happen, even in faerun vestiges are rare, he just cares more about getting himself and the rest of the party fixed up before the wizard or some other nasty comes and blast them into oblivion. Which is not an unreasonable position.


    Sahre ignore the rest of the proceedings as soon as Buer appeared, putting his full concentration onto the task at hand, he moved around the circle filling it with power, blind to the screams of the villagers, doing his best to not mess it up. This would be tricky, after expelling a vestige he was always drained, it would be easy to make a mistake. But by fate or luck, it went flawlessly, and Buer stood bound before him.

    He was nonetheless confused by her words, "Not supposed to be here?" Sahre asked questionably to vestige as he walked around the circle keeping her face towards him, "I don't understand Grandmother Huntress, how is this place different from any other? Another plane among many to be sure but what of it?"
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2009-12-12 at 01:01 PM.
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tealand. :)
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Rowan, Lady Red Steel

    Master warlock, Rowan glanced slowly to her black cloaked ally, if you are to speak of all of us, I would appreciate you not have us sound like braggarts incapable of empathy. You need only consider our arrival and activities to understand their fear.

    She turned back to Lenay, waiting patiently for him to recover his bearings.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
    Lao Tzu

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Cassandra

    Cassandra doesn't want to add to the general fear and confusion. She keeps her empty hands in sight and does nothing alarming. She listens and watches and tries to remain as un-intimidating as possible.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sahre

    The wheel turns again, slower than usual as if uncertain of it's footing. The hag face speaks. "I was once here, before the end of time, before the long sleep." The wheel makes another slow circle. "There are no gods here; no devils, no angels. All that is good and all that is evil lay only in the hearts of men." The wheel pauses for a moment, wavering on a hoof. She continues in a whisper. "I know more...I knew more...I am more...but the light has faded from my day. Dark skies, powers crowding around you. Can you not see them?"

    The lion roars and the wheel whips into a frenzy, racing around the circle until it is only a blur. The power reels back against you and slams into you, breaking your concentration. The wheel vanishes as if it had never been there. The sigils fade and the chalk turns to ash, carried away by the chill wind.

    Rowan

    Lenay stares at the wheel, eyes glazed over and unfocused. When it disappears he staggers back as if hit by some unseen force. He doubles over for a moment, then slowly straightens up. "La-Lady Rowan? I...I don't..." He pauses a moment, tilting his head slightly as if straining to hear. He says, his voice barely audible. "Teleport? I dinnae know what you mean." He takes the dagger and holds it tight in his left hand, his fingers slowly clenching and unclenching around it. "The wheel...was beast legs..." He says, trailing off, eyes shut tight.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I actually expected something like this might happen. Big damn heroes aren't afraid of summoning some dead god, but sometimes they forget that the normal folk they're trying to save are afraid. Which is totally understandable. Just wanted to ground you guys a little.

    Also, congrats on avoiding the first Horror save in the game. It went to an NPC. Who failed it.

    Everyone can make Sense Motive checks to try and figure out what's wrong with Lenay. Or magic, if you've got something that would work.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    "Well isn't this just a wonderful start of the day." Janastor says as he simultaneously processes the strange behavior from the vestige, and Lenay's new behavior.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Why do you think my guy is so nondescript? Heh oh well.

    [roll0]


    And if it matters, a Knowledge Arcana check to know anything about odd Vestige behavior.

    [roll1]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sahre staggered back blinking fanatically. This was not anything close to good. He'd never seen a Vestige act like that before, least of all Buer, who was fairly easygoing as far ancient souls of indefinable power caught in a limbo between planes and death go. He felt the power from the binding surge through him, but he remained uneasy.

    "Listen," Sahre said, turning toward the rest of the group at last, "I think we need to get out of here, as soon as possible. I-I've never seen that happen before, and that? That was a successful binding. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't channeled her right or..." Sahre trailed off shaking his head.

    "Something isn't right here," he said vaguely, "And the sooner we leave the better. I'm gonna start patching everyone up and then we can find some way out of this place. Cass, hold still, you've only got a few flesh wounds, so I'll this'll only take a moment."

    Sahre moved over by Cassandra and held his hand before her, and closed his eyes for a moment as a faint glow filled the air, centering on the mages wounds that slowly closed and healed like new.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Healing Gift on Cassandra (1d8+10)[18]

    Well this is unfortunate. This horror save thing remands me a bit of DH. At least Sahre is immune to fear as long as I've got a vestige bound... So he'll be o.k right? Do failed horror saves "Heal" over time? Or is he just kinda screwed now?
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2009-12-12 at 06:01 PM.
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    After thinking on it a moment Sahre tried to recall any whispers of something that would cause a vestige to behave as such.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Planes: (1d20+8)[25]
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sigfried simply grumbles and takes a small step back in response to Rowan's consternation.

    "I am not a braggart."

    It is clear even he doesn't believe himself when he says that. He looks quite concerned at the villager's response to their magic, but doesn't say anything. He knows he's screwed things up, and doesn't want to do so further. He only mumbles to himself,

    "No Gods, no Devils, and no angels...and from the sound of the man, no magic..."

    He cuts himself short. A chill runs up his spine--this scenario is all too familiar to him.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Cassandra

    Cassandra smiles and stands still while she's healed. Thank you Sahre, I feel much better now. Her headache and other wounds are now gone and she feels so much better.

    She follows after Rowan, not close enough to intrude, but close enough in case something happens.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+2)[12]
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+14)[25]
    Knowledge (The Planes) (1d20+5)[14]
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Rowan walks with the dazed Lenay, Cassandra close behind. The man says little intelligble, his left eye twitching as he lets himself be lead like a dog on a leash. "Spinning...fast." Nothing about what's going on in his mind is clear to either of you.

    The dozen or so houses that make up the village are grouped around the dirt clearing in a rough circle, and you lead him to a bench next to a stone well. He puts his hand out without looking down and sits, back against the stone. He begins to rock back and forth a little, very short movements, as his eyes roam around the village, not stopping on any one thing.

    A young woman runs out from one of the houses, her long red hair flying behind her, her green dress getting dirt stains as she comes toward the well. She runs up to Lenay and crouches down, putting her arms around him. "What's going on father? What's wrong?" She looks at him, but he makes no response. She turns to the two of you standing there. "What have you done to him?" She screams.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Watching Cassandra and Rowan leave with Lenay Janastor turns towards Siegfried and remarks. "Yes, you are a braggart. You just don't realize it. You are important, so it feels natural to you, but it is still bragging."

    Pausing for a second Janastor addends to his speach "This may be a dark domain with blocked access to gods, but obviously our magic still functions. If need be that will be enough. Besides he knew about dealing with spirits and that sounds like magic exists in this realm. It is not unthinkable that teleportation could be unknown in such a poor place."

    Looking back towards the village Janastor sighs and says "I very doubt we will get much out of here except pitchforks and fires. Dealing with these type of people is not my forte, though I am not as.... negligent as some others. That being said, I think I shall answer my own questions about the lay of the land. Hopefully without breaking any more poor villager's minds."

    Moving as away from the village far enough so that he can be discrete, Janastor invokes an arcane chant and summons before him a magnificent regal and seemingly quasi-corporeal horse.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Assuming that nothing goes wrong with this here... Janastor casts Phantom Steed. He will procede to take his military saddle out of his haversack, put it on the steed.

    He will mount it and ride up 180 ft in the air using air walk to see the lay of the land, and then descend another 60ft, where the round will end and the air walk will end and allow him to fall safely to the ground.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Sigfried simply nods at Janastor's addendum, and then follows Rowan and Cassandra. He stays silent in response to Lenay's daughter's screaming--best to get a better idea of the situation before opening his mouth again. Still, he is clearly disturbed by the goings-on.
    Last edited by Anonanimal; 2009-12-12 at 09:03 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    While Rowen, Cassandra, and Siegfried helped the poor man back to his house Sahre went off on his own abit. Shaking his head ruefully he walked slowly toward the castle, feeling the healing magic course through him as he moved. He had a feeling Buer was what had distressed the man so, and he didn't want to be anywhere near the Rowen if she decided to go all "Righteous Indignation," on him.

    So he moved off on his own, giving the man a chance to recover and tempers to cool. He was still disturbed about what the Vestige had said, and what little he had remembered, a place without gods. Forsaken, good and evil had prospered in the hearts of men....

    He didn't like it. Not at all.

    On a whim he began to take a walk in the woods he had seen earlier, cautiously moving through the heavy boughs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    With my fast healing I'll be back to full strength in a minute and a half, so I'm going ahead and marking my HP at full

    also, deleted the spot check, since it was no longer relevant

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2009-12-12 at 11:49 PM.
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    The young woman listens to Rowan speak, staring her in the eye as if appraising her. She nods her head slightly. "Aye, there is...someone who might be able to help him. I do not know if he will though." She turns back to her father and whispers in his ear, leans back and waits for a response, but Lenay says nothing. She gently pries his fingers off the dagger and clasps his hand, sitting down on the bench next to him.

    She turns her head back to you. "I do not know where the Merlin is, but the tales say that if you merely seek him, he will find you." She glances over to the dark woods nearby. "They say he lives in the great forest beyond our own, that he lives among the Woads like their own god."

    ---

    In the air above the village the wind bites into your clothes. You see Sahre walk off towards the woods. Rising up you are able to see that the woods go on for what looks like miles before rising up into the hills. The trees and growth of that great forest seem dim, as if capturing the light instead of sending it away. The plains on the other sides of the village are scattered with underbrush and hedges. Small groups of farm animals, horses and bovines, graze nearby a small garden beyond the houses.

    In the air the true distance to the castle is seen. Though many miles, possibly hundreds, the dark form is still visible against the base of the mountains. How huge it would have to be for it to be visible at this distance you can only imagine.

    ---

    The woods are quiet and green. The underbrush is light from what appears to be regular use by the villagers. You spot a few gametrails running different ways and looking deeper you can see that the trees slowly get thicker and the forest denser the farther into it you travel.

    The screaming of the young woman has stopped, though glancing back you don't see anyone else leaving their houses.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    "Amazing" Janastor says to himself as his horse drops softly to the ground. That castle... it must be larger than a city. I wonder now how absurd I sounded when I offered to deal with whatever lived there. Whatever has the power to build an edifice like that does either is an exceedingly powerful being, or has the support of exceedingly powerful beings. Especially considering the odd behavior of the vestige...

    I should relate this to the rest of the group. With that thought Janastor heads off in the direction of Sahre, attempting to stop the binder before he ventures too far into the woods. With the pace of his horse, he reasons that he should catch up quickly.


    Spoiler
    Show

    I misread the description of Phantom Steed. The only thing unnatural on it are hooves that are insubstantial. Which is enough to notice something bad in close quarters, otherwise it just looks like a fast horse (when it isn't flying.)


    Edit: And I'm leaving it up to Drakeraids if he wants Janastor to reach Sahre quickly or not.

    Last edited by Aecus; 2009-12-13 at 04:37 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    "This Merlin...what sort of man is he? Good or evil? If he is the former, then I am sure he will help. If he is the later, we will deal with him. I have destroyed Devils and freed Gods from prisons. Getting this man's aid will be a trifle."

    He lays a hand carefully on the young woman's shoulder.

    "Your father's state was partly my fault as well, I believe. I will not rest until I have righted the wrong I have committed."

    He looks her in the eyes, his brow furrowed, and then seems to remember something.

    "Oh. The mask..."

    Sigfried retrieves his mithral mask from his haversack where he'd deposited it, and holds it up for the girl to see.

    "Your father seemed to be afraid of the mask I wore. It's harmless, really--it simply details parts of my saga. That reaction...do you know why he had that reaction to my mask? Does it mean anything here?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tealand. :)
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

    Rowan, Lady Red Steel

    Rowan nodded. Then we'll do our absolute best to see your father restored, and will make all haste to find the Merlin. She smiled at the warlock, reminded then why she preferred to keep his company than lose it.

    As you can see, my comrades are kind-hearted. Your father will be tended to. She turned away from the befuddled man and his daughter, and rose her halberd, steadily waving it back and forth slightly to signal wanting the others' attention.
    Last edited by NotANinja; 2009-12-13 at 05:33 PM.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
    Lao Tzu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •