New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Fighter/Rogue Substitution Abilities

I recently came across the "Feat Rogue" and "Sneak Attack Fighter" ACFs and was wondering...

How overpowering would it be for me to provide my players with the option of taking "Substitution Levels" in those...IE:

A fighter is gains a level where she would gain a fighter feat. She has the option of instead taking a sneak attack die, losing her fighter feat.

A rogue is coming up on a level where he would gain an extra die of sneak attack. Instead, he can trade that damage die for a feat from the same list as a feat rogue.

Would this overpower these classes/roles? I thought it might be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I am considering doing the same for rangers/paladins with the non-spell casting versions of those classes in CW, though I suspect that might actually WEAKEN the class...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fighter/Rogue Substitution Abilities

I'd say it's perfectly fair to do this. It'll make them more powerful by giving them more options, but not by much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Never played with the non-casting ranger or paladin, but swapping out feats and sneak attack will break neither the rogue nor the fighter.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

This would make getting into Blackguard less of a chore, not that it's worth it. Would you let a Blackguard do the swap, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say the rogue trading away the SA dice is getting the better deal here, but meh. It's hardly overpowering either way.