New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default On the topic of Tome of Battle...

So, for anyone who's seen my previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134832), I have an upcoming solo game. And considering how much I've read up on stuff, it seems that if I'm not allowed a Cleric/Wizard combo which is what I'm aiming for potentially, it'd fall to a Ranger/Scout/Wizard combo with Swift Hunter.

But seeing all these things got me wondering, and I finally started reading some of Tome of Battle (a lot which went -right- over my head, like how Crusader's manuevers work). While it generally looks pretty fun, and I'd be able to play a martial character without having to resort to 'I'll use a greatsword and Leap Attack + Power Attack + x + x', or 'just dual-wield and go Rogue'... one of the things I noticed through my skim was there is a lot for the melee character.

That said, I was wondering. Are there any manuevers which work for ranged, too? And are they playable? I'd most likely be going Warblade or Swordsage, and would be wanting to split myself between melee and ranged, and on the other side of my gestalt, either Cleric or Wizard.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: On the topic of Tome of Battle...

Look at Bloodstorm Blade PrC. It's the most 'ranged' thing in ToB. It gets you to throw Greatswords on your enemies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh. Nothing along the lines of ritualized and kung fu archery, then? :/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumaru View Post
    That said, I was wondering. Are there any manuevers which work for ranged, too? And are they playable? I'd most likely be going Warblade or Swordsage, and would be wanting to split myself between melee and ranged, and on the other side of my gestalt, either Cleric or Wizard.
    Apart from a few Diamond Mind (extra Full Attacks) and Tiger Claw (extra attacks in a full attack) maneuvers and the Bloodstorm Blade throwing PrC, ToB isn't very good for ranged characters. If you're going to do this, go into Warblade / Bloodstorm Blade and focus on the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart and Tiger Claw schools.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Fax Celestis has a great Archery discipline, although homebrew, that you might be able to use (it's balanced).

Nothing RAW afaik though

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Few individual maneuvers work with range and do it really well; Dancing Mongoose & Raging Mongoose from Tiger Claw and Time Stands Still from Diamond Mind are incredible with range. But yeah, it's a melee book.

That said, look at the various homebrewed Falling Star (or similar) disciplines to expand it to ranged combat. You aren't the only one to think they shoulda included some ranged tricks there
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumaru View Post
    (a lot which went -right- over my head, like how Crusader's manuevers work).
    Basically a deck of cards. Readied Maneuvers = deck. Granted Maneuvers = your hand. Draw a card every turn. No more deck to draw from? Reshuffle.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

If homebrew's okay with you, aside from Fax's Falling Star Discipline, True Arrow here should fit well enough.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

We houserule that, barring logical impossibility at the discretion of the DM, anything that works for Melee can work for Ranged. This includes Power Attack, Improved Disarm, and most maneuvers. It hasn't caused a problem so far.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    We houserule that, barring logical impossibility at the discretion of the DM, anything that works for Melee can work for Ranged. This includes Power Attack, Improved Disarm, and most maneuvers. It hasn't caused a problem so far.
    How does Power Attack work at all with ranged combat? Using a bow is simply pulling the string back; you can't add any more strength to that than is built into the bow....

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Aim for better armored/less likely to hit parts that will hurt more?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    How does Power Attack work at all with ranged combat? Using a bow is simply pulling the string back; you can't add any more strength to that than is built into the bow....
    I suppose you can overpull the bow; given it's probably magical, it can most likely take it. Hopefully your arrows are long enough though.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.