New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Bonus damage for Pyro's lash?

I intend to play a Pyrokineticist (not necessarily the fire version) in an upcoming campaign that starts at 3rd level. However, a notable issue with the class's early portion is that its Fire Lash doesn't have any bonus damage, since it's technically a ranged touch attack and not a for-real whip.

I've decided to focus on SA as my bonus source of damage, entering as a Psychic Rogue 2/SA + Thug Variants Fighter 3 and intending to supplement that with the Weapon Afire ability, and the Swordsage's Assassin's Stance, bringing me up to 10th level with +7d6 behind the whip, and another +10 from Craven. I'm not exactly sure if this is that respectable, however: an average of 39 damage per whip-swing (provided that the target can even be sneak attacked) is outdone even by a TWF Rogue that gets 10d6+20 total bonuses before weapon damage.

Theoretically, I can PA with the lash, right? It's a one-handed weapon so the return is 1:1, but touch attacks are easier to make and I should be able to spare a few points. Is there anything else I can feasibly use? Doesn't have to be SA-related, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to rely on money or having 20 levels in Wizard to pull off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bonus damage for Pyro's lash?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Theoretically, I can PA with the lash, right? It's a one-handed weapon so the return is 1:1, but touch attacks are easier to make and I should be able to spare a few points. Is there anything else I can feasibly use? Doesn't have to be SA-related, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to rely on money or having 20 levels in Wizard to pull off.
    Yes because you can PA with a whip (it says any feat that applies to whip).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Is a 1:1 return worth it, though, even as a Touch attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

There's no reason (at least from the SRD version that I'm reading) that you couldn't just wield it in two hands, is there?
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Is a 1:1 return worth it, though, even as a Touch attack?
    Why wouldn't it? Touch attacks are very easy to make.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, you could PA with it but after a read through of the ability I'd suggest just taking the TWF line and manifesting two (there's nothing there which would stop you that I noticed).

True, you'll still be a bit behind a TWF Rogue on damage per hit, but you'll be doing touch attacks which may help (warning however, a lot of stuff is immune to either fire or sneak attacks).