New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Why does Epic BAB and Saves suck so much?!

The title says it all.
    Why does the Epic Base Attack Bonus only go up by ½ per level and saves the same? Why would it all of a sudden go so slow, it weakens already weaker classes? Would it be so broken if they continued to progress the same as the original class forever? (Adding BAB and save progressions to Epic Prestige classes becomes common sense.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why does Epic BAB and Saves suck so much?!

Epic saves are relatively good; +1/2 levels is the same as a good save did beforehand and is effectively: all saves are good saves. Epic BAB... well that's just saying melee can't have nice things (especially as AC goes up faster... wait that doesn't make sense).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Because they decided the epic spellcasting rules weren't stupid enough and they had to add something more arbitrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The difference between +20 BAB and +10 BAB is already a 50% on a d20. If you had characters with a +100 BAB, then anything they had a possibility of missing would be completely impossible for a Rogue (+75 BAB) or a Wizard (+50 BAB) to hit outside of a natural 20.

The saving throws are the same reason. A good save at level 100 would end up being +52 while a bad save only +33. Anything that had a chance to overcome a good save would blast through a bad save - targetting a bad save would always be successful.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    The difference between +20 BAB and +10 BAB is already a 50% on a d20. If you had characters with a +100 BAB, then anything they had a possibility of missing would be completely impossible for a Rogue (+75 BAB) or a Wizard (+50 BAB) to hit outside of a natural 20.

The saving throws are the same reason. A good save at level 100 would end up being +52 while a bad save only +33. Anything that had a chance to overcome a good save would blast through a bad save - targetting a bad save would always be successful.
    At level 100 a wizard shouldn't be attacking. It's just dumb. (Well, OK, RTA with the enemy denied their dex bonus, sure, but not regular attacks.)
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2009-12-14 at 03:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Because spellcasters don't need BAB and can make up for the Saves other ways, and by epic if you're not a spellcaster you're screwed anyway.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

As much as Wizard Deserves Flack for most of their epic rules, this they actually had a reasonably thought out plan. As erikun says, the difference in BaB is already very noticeable by level 20, having the gap widen even further would make things even worse.

Granted, they then forgot to factor in increasing AC and the like, but no one ever said epic was a well thought out system...
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8

Well, the saves are fine at ½ but that still leaves fighters with ½ BAB in the dust. If what Erikun says is true, why would they still have AC scale into something fierce? That makes hitting things all the more impossible for the fighter who is supposed to hit things and the rogue to pretty much never hit anything.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    As much as Wizard Deserves Flack for most of their epic rules, this they actually had a reasonably thought out plan. As erikun says, the difference in BaB is already very noticeable by level 20, having the gap widen even further would make things even worse.

Granted, they then forgot to factor in increasing AC and the like, but no one ever said epic was a well thought out system...
    You're right, it wasn't well thought out, which sucks.
    Last edited by Dante & Vergil; 2009-12-14 at 03:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

How exactly does AC scale for characters?
    I just don't see it.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    I just don't see it.
    Not for characters, but for monsters.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    I just don't see it.
    Well, it technically doesn't scale, but with your ridiculous amounts of wealth, you can afford lots of powerful AC boosters.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dante & Vergil View Post
    If what Erikun says is true, why would they still have AC scale into something fierce?
    I would call it a bad design in the Epic rules, but it's honestly a problem well before then. Basically, it looks like WotC just threw a bunch of large numbers at the system and hoped it worked out. (It didn't.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The rules break down beyond level 20 (many believe that it does so much earlier), but WotC denied it by releasing the ELH. Hilarity ensued.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    The rules break down beyond level 20 (many believe that it does so much earlier), but WotC denied it by releasing the ELH. Hilarity ensued.
    This made my night worth all the trouble it's been.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

So what if we just gave everyone a +1/level epic BAB?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    So what if we just gave everyone a +1/level epic BAB?
    That would just give the PCs an advantage over straight monsters, which means the only challenging monsters would be those with class levels. Also this change would proportionally diminish the advantage that full BAB characters have at a faster rate, meaning you'd shrink the still playable range of the Epic levels.

The system's already screwed up enough, I think.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    That would just give the PCs an advantage over straight monsters, which means the only challenging monsters would be those with class levels. Also this change would proportionally diminish the advantage that full BAB characters have at a faster rate, meaning you'd shrink the still playable range of the Epic levels.

The system's already screwed up enough, I think.
    Plenty of epic monsters are omgwtf strong, so if they're not a challenge then you're doing something wrong (or are using mass-mitigation Epic Spellcasting, which amounts to the same thing).

Also, this would benefit full-BAB more than most, because full-BAB has all those tasty tasty iteratives with their -5/-10/-15 penalty that other classes lack, and giving higher attack bonuses all around would make these generally better. It'll also make (non-Shock-Trooper) Power Attack and Combat Expertise that much more yummy.

Other classes (Rogue, Monk, Marshal, Swordsage, etc) get some of this too, but have less iteratives and are generally less likely to have the options that trade AB for other things anyway. Also, they're a ways behind before they can trade out as much and still reliably hit.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Still amazes me how there can be so much pure and obvious fails in Wizard of the coast desicions and systems, and they STILL are nr 1 with people buying their products.

Judging from this forum alone, WOTC dont know the first thing about their own system and hasnt for ages. The flaws pointed out are obvious, and the fanbase fixes the system themselves, then buy more books from WOTC
    :D

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khanderas View Post
    Still amazes me how there can be so much pure and obvious fails in Wizard of the coast desicions and systems, and they STILL are nr 1 with people buying their products.

Judging from this forum alone, WOTC dont know the first thing about their own system and hasnt for ages. The flaws pointed out are obvious, and the fanbase fixes the system themselves, then buy more books from WOTC
    :D
    It might mean that the alternatives are even worse. :D
    Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I have no idea what you people are talking about, the full BAB class still gets full BAB in Epic levels.

For added hilarity, the epic attack bonus is called out as being distinct from normal BAB.

"What's that 30th level Fighter? Your only have 25 BAB?
    -Should've been a Cleric then, you could've had 40 instead."

*Pimp slap* "That'll teach you not to mess with fullcasters!"
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.