New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Looking for a race with ancestry in the lower planes that dose not have a hit to Cha

The title says it all. I am looking for a race that has ancestry in the lower planes that dose not take a hit to charisma and has no LA, so anything tiefling related is out. The reason is because I want to play with the conduit of the lower planes as a PC but since the class is charisma reliant, do not want to take a hit to charisma. So, do any of you know a race that can have ancestry in the lower planes that dose not take a hit to charisma and dose not have LA?

If no such race exists, could one give me ideas on how to homebrew it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a race with ancestry in the lower planes that dose not have a hit to

Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    The title says it all. I am looking for a race that has ancestry in the lower planes that dose not take a hit to charisma and has no LA, so anything tiefling related is out. The reason is because I want to play with the conduit of the lower planes as a PC but since the class is charisma reliant, do not want to take a hit to charisma. So, do any of you know a race that can have ancestry in the lower planes that dose not take a hit to charisma and dose not have LA?
    Hellbred (Spirit Aspect), Fiendish Codex II. +2 Cha, -2 Con. And if the racial abilities annoy you (like the no resurrection thing), Dragonborn of Bahumat can fix you up for only 100 GP. No more free Devil's Favor, though.

Star Elf is extraplanar... not explicitly infernal, but could be fluffed (maybe mom was a little too adventurous?).

Spellscale also gets a Cha bonus... maybe infernal dragon ancestry?

You can also add +2 Cha/-2 Wis to any race with the Magic-Blooded template (Dragon #306, check the 3.0 templates on Crystalkeep for details). You can even add these onto a race with an existing Cha bonus for +4 Cha at 1st level, zero LA.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Looking for a race with ancestry in the lower planes that dose not have a hit to

Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    If no such race exists, could one give me ideas on how to homebrew it?
    Take the stats for Aasimar or lesser Aasimar and change the abilities and energy resistances for a more fiendish flavor.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Take the stats for Aasimar or lesser Aasimar and change the abilities and energy resistances for a more fiendish flavor.
    Even easier, play human and reflavor it! All the power, zero drawbacks!

[/end sarcasm]

Hellbred+magic blooded is good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Magic-Blooded (page 15) is +0 LA and gives +2 Cha, and you can flavor the source of their powers however you want.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Magic-Blooded (page 15) is +0 LA and gives +2 Cha, and you can flavor the source of their powers however you want.
    So a magic blooded star elf is +4 cha? Nice!
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There are "lesser" versions of the planetouched races which are LA +0 but lose the Outsider type.

In Tome, aasimar are descended from beautiful outsiders rather than good ones.

You could also take some Fiendish Heritage feats, a Fiendish Bloodline, or warlock levels. Or some combination of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    So a magic blooded star elf is +4 cha? Nice!
    IIRC it's also -2 Wis.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-12-15 at 04:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post

IIRC it's also -2 Wis.
    You are right - I explained badly. I was referring to the mere bonus. +4 is huge, only orcs, wild elves and few others can get a +4 on a stat with LA +0.

And -2 wis +4 cha makes great bards
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I have several homebrew planetouched races linked in my signature. The Stormborn is Pandemonium-derived and has a charisma bonus.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Even easier, play human and reflavor it! All the power, zero drawbacks!
    The part where the human doesn't get +cha kills your idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    The part where the human doesn't get +cha kills your idea.
    He wasn't asking for +Charisma specifically, he was asking for something that didn't have -Charisma.

12. - Top - End - #12

In which case Oscalemo actually made a reasonable suggestion.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

In the core, Half-fiend template gets +2 to CHA (for a hefty +4 LA), or Fiendish template with no hit to CHA (+2 LA and really not much to show for it).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

There's an evil Human subrace outlined in BoVD. I remember it being weaker than a normal human, but it lets you avoid needing to reflavor anything.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.