New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Trap DCs

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Trap DCs

What are the best ways to buff DCs for disable device vs the traps? I have a plot device that is trapped. I wish to keep it this way without DM fiat. What options are open to me? The rogue in the party has a +25 to disable device I believe. Very close to it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Trap DCs

+25, huh?
    Magical traps are harder to find and disable than mechanical traps. Find a high level spell that replicates what you want the trap to do, and BOOM, you got a higher DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That still caps at 34 for a 9th level spell. Meaning he defuses it on a 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lower visibility with fog, distract them with a lone kobold wizard 1, just ad los of circumstantial bonuses to the DC.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

In dungeonscape, mainly and secrets of xen'drik, too, there are rules to pimp traps and brand new trap concept. If you want to "surprise" (grin) your players take a look on that.

Work around the problem. And if you want to hear my opinion, if the player invested resources in disable devices, reward him.

Just remember to have no mercy next time he miss to check if a door is trapped
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.