New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Hypothetical Weirdass Scenario

What do you think would occur if a staff of power were broken inside an antimagic field, and then either removed from the field or the field dismissed/dispelled?

If figure either it could (boringly) do nothing and act as a nonmagical chunk of wood the entire time, or explode fantastically the instant it leaves the field, making for an excellent weapon for anoyone possessing a staff, an antimagic field, and a throwing arm.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hypothetical Weirdass Scenario

Eh..... as much as I'd like it to be fun, I'm 95% sure nothing happens. DM could houserule otherwise, though.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's powerful enough to punch a hole in a plane to the Astral Plane. And last time I checked, you could teleport in an antimagic field (I think? I don't remember the dumb intracities of what applies), which already brings you to the Astral Plane. So I'd likely allow it to work for consistency, but I'm unsure how things would really work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

If it were me I might just houserule the staff kicks the AMF's ass. I always wanted to play a wizard that gets swallowed by a dragon and then breaks a staff inside it's guts. Definition of blaze of glory imo.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I believe there is a section in the DMG that describes artifacts as being transcendant of mortal magic. You can't just cast Dispel Magic on an artifact to supress it for a couple rounds, and you can't just destroy it by normal means.

Thus, Staff of Power is probably not even affected by AMF. You couldn't cast the spells through it, as the spells would be supressed, but the fact that its still a Staff of Power wouldn't be supressed, which would mean it would still explode in a retributive strike just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, the staff of power isn't an artifact. I think your talking about the staff of magi.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.