New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Orc Alternative

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Orc Alternative

I'm wondering if there is a non-cliched alternative to using orcs in my next campaign. I want a savage race that lives in the mountains if anyone has any non-orc/goblin/kobold etc. ideas I would appreciate it.

P.S. Edition 3.5

Thanks in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Orc Alternative

You could use goliaths. Or wild dwarves.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Raptorans from Races of the Wild could be a decent choice, unless you want them living underground. Neanderthals in Frostburn could also work, when the PCs gain a few levels and would have run into a few Ogres, you can use Yetis instead.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

What's wrong with the goblinoid races? There's goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, blues, dekanter goblins, dark goblins, and all the environmental-typed goblins.

And kobolds aren't exactly savage. They're very organised, they just happen to be evil.

But eh, if for some reason all of those don't work for you, here are some more suggestions, all from the SRD:

• Troglodytes
    • Derro/duergar
    • Gnolls
    • Minotaurs
    • Ogres
    • Giants
    • Trolls
    • Grimlocks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Wood Elves. They're brutal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Elves. Lots of takes have them brutal, callous and arrogant. They're perfect antagonists. They already look down on everyone else, just take it to the logical step.

After all, they can ave kids for a long time so there's a lot to mow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What's wrong with the goblinoid races? There's goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, blues, dekanter goblins, dark goblins, and all the environmental-typed goblins.

And kobolds aren't exactly savage. They're very organised, they just happen to be evil.

But eh, if for some reason all of those don't work for you, here are some more suggestions, all from the SRD:

• Troglodytes
    • Derro/duergar
    • Gnolls
    • Minotaurs
    • Ogres
    • Giants
    • Trolls
    • Grimlocks
    My adventuring group has played so many games with goblins that any more and it would just be repetitive and tedious.
    I used savage as a more broad word relating to evil merely for convience's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Elves. Lots of takes have them brutal, callous and arrogant. They're perfect antagonists. They already look down on everyone else, just take it to the logical step.

After all, they can ave kids for a long time so there's a lot to mow down.
    I think I will use elves. Thank you for the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Wood Elves. They're brutal.
    Thank you everyone for your quick responses

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

take a page out of dark sun: cannabalistic halflings. you think big, hairy, green skinned tusked brutes are nasty?

imagine an entire race that look like children, their giggling echoing through the caves as they taunt you from afar when the ground in front of you suddenly burst as a ravenous child goes for your jugular.

and bites.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

UNDEAD!

Oh wait, you want a sentient race, my bad.

In that case, MINOTAURS!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-20 at 02:16 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnomes!!!!!
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-12-20 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Other fun options:

Neanderthals (Frostburn): Similar to humans, but more savage, and could easily be viewed as degenerative. The normal humans might look down on them with a mixture of disgust, shame, and fear.

Mongrelfolk (Races of Destiny/Fiend Folio): Hideous creatures of heavily mixed ancestry, again evoke lots of gut reactions of fear, shame, and hatred.

Vasharan/Jerren (Book of Vile Darkness): Humans and halflings, respectively, corrupted beyond all hope and reason. Irredeemably evil, and friggin' scary (especially the Jerren. Picture a whole nation of Belkars).

Kuo-toa: Perhaps coming from deep beneath the mountains, I've always found something awesomely creepy and Lovecraftian about the sticky, googly-eyed fish folk.

Spawn of Tiamat (MM IV): Some of the smaller, swarmy ones, such as the Whitespawn (whatever they're called... the little ones) could be an interesting alternative to kobolds.

TEMPLATES!: You can make tired races such as orcs or goblins fresh and interesting again by applying templates! Want something creepy and alien? Perhaps pseudonatural or half-farspawn (Lords of Madness) orcs are in order. How about a hive of industrious insectile (Savage Species) goblins?

Dolgrims (Eberron Campaign Setting): Creepy four-armed, double-mouthed goblins. Surprisingly nasty foes in combat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    take a page out of dark sun: cannabalistic halflings.
    Dark Sun halflings are not cannibals. They have never been known to eat other halflings. In their defense, humans are so delicious.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Dark Sun halflings are not cannibals. They have never been known to eat other halflings. In their defense, humans are so delicious.
    well that's just because there were none alive to talk about it.

they're very thorough. nomnomnom.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you thought of Oaves? They're not your typical antagonists, but they make for fun & unusual opponents. Plus your local rules lawyer has probably never heard of them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Goliaths can be nice a flavourful.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Agree with the aboves :
    Elves should be an antagonist race.
    These arrogant tree-huggers shall be cast away from human civilization then kill on sight !!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

What about cannibal Gnomataurs that live in mountainside forests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Why not just Humans? Make the elder races PCs and Humans the evil conquistadors; there's a ton of precedent for this even in our own feudal history. Also, fiction like The Witcher offers good bases for this, and most fictional forms have some antagonist Humans. It's not a big leap to make all Humans evil, powerhungry megalomaniacs or savages; they're a young race and thus relatively undeveloped, after all.

If you don't want Humans in your world though, how about Ettercaps, Sahuagin or similars?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-12-20 at 04:05 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Most Elves are Chaotic Good. This usually means Hippie Pansy. Wood Elves are different. They're usually Neutral. This means they act naturally and do what seems like a good idea. I.E. using their stealth and +2 Str to predate your puny ass into the ground next to the deer carcasses.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Have you thought of Oaves? They're not your typical antagonists, but they make for fun & unusual opponents. Plus your local rules lawyer has probably never heard of them.
    That's awesome! I've been meaning to introduce the Galoots from Ren and Stimpy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    What about cannibal Gnomataurs that live in mountainside forests?
    The problem with cannibals is that they aren't much of a problem if you're not one of them.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Why not just Humans? Make the elder races PCs and Humans the evil conquistadors; there's a ton of precedent for this even in our own feudal history. Also, fiction like The Witcher offers good bases for this, and most fictional forms have some antagonist Humans. It's not a big leap to make all Humans evil, powerhungry megalomaniacs or savages; they're a young race and thus relatively undeveloped, after all.

If you don't want Humans in your world though, how about Ettercaps, Sahuagin or similars?
    I vote for humans too. Maybe not as universally evil but certain tribes/clans/nations are bound to be antagonistic. And humans fit into just about any environ.

Allot of times I dump other races entirely from my games or have them as obscure minorities at the peripheral of human civilization and understanding.
    Pwn 4 teh pwn god! N00bs 4 teh n00b thr1!