New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default [4e] A Holiday Gift for Those Who Miss Wealth by Level

I've heard complaints from some DMs who don't like the parcel system, so I decided to spend a tedious half hour writing this.

Happy holidays, fellow DMs!
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2009-12-20 at 11:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Holiday Gift for Those Who Miss Wealth by Level

Now those are ugly numbers. I can see why Wizards didn't make a WBL chart now if those are the numbers they used.

At least end with fives, Wizards...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] A Holiday Gift for Those Who Miss Wealth by Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I've heard complaints from some DMs who don't like the parcel system, so I decided to spend a tedious half hour writing this.

Happy holidays, fellow DMs!
    Those are some seriously awful numbers! Thanks though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

So, what method did you use to calculate that -- party of 5, 100% cash value, divided 5 ways?

Or did you use the 'advanced start' mechanism?

You'll note that this doesn't match what happens in a game. By level 10, much of the treasure you had at level 5 will have been sold or turned into residuum. And about 83% of your wealth (about 5/6) will not be in the form of items that the player purchased, but rather found (which may or may not be ideal for the character). If you "melt it down" to cash/residuum once (ie, you save up every ounce of treasure you ever got, never turn any of it to magic items, then melt down everything to make items at level X), you end up with about 1/3 of the 'accumulated value' in residuum.

Now, I don't know your methodology, so I am not sure if any of the above actually applies. So could I get your methodology?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

But that's assuming the PCs spend no money on consumables, alchemy, ritual components, services etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Now, I don't know your methodology, so I am not sure if any of the above actually applies. So could I get your methodology?
    Adding up treasure parcels by level and dividing by 5, I pressume.

Edit: Ah, it's unclear how magic items are accounted for...
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2009-12-20 at 09:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    But that's assuming the PCs spend no money on consumables, alchemy, ritual components, services etc.

Adding up treasure parcels by level and dividing by 5, I pressume.

Edit: Ah, it's unclear how magic items are accounted for...
    From a quick test, as I was trying to figure out how he did it, it seems the OP added up the gp value and counted magic items as being worth 100% of their purchase value. Then he divided it by 5. Also, he added in the starting 100gp every character gets. Then it proceeded to be cumulative, so at level 2 he added in starting 100gp and the level 1 treasure values.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

That means it's off by one level: the numbers are the expected wealth after the level has been "completed", i.e. all packages having been collected.

Edit: Anyway, allowing players to start with these amounts of gold would give them way more wealth than the usual guidelines!
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2009-12-20 at 09:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that, part of the difficulty, is that item's worth doesn't scale directly to it's gp value... And the rules for creating a character who's not at level 1 are an estimation. At low levels, a new PC is a bit OP, while at later levels, they're a bit UP. (Compare, for one of the more extreme examples, a level 2 character who has a 4/5 chance of having a magic item of levels 2-5, and a bit of gp, with a level 2 character that has 360gp, all the mundane stuff they want for free, 3 magic items (levels 1, 2 & 3) and 360gp. The first played through level 1 and just reached level 2. The second just started at 2.)

Then, there balance of who gets what is never even... It's all too easy for one player to have half the party's magic items, with gp still being split evenly.

Wealth by level is really an impossible task here, because it fluctuates too much.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Assumption 1: Half of each level's monetary parcel is converted into an item with a level equal to the PC. This way each PC gets an item at each and every level, with level +2 being the average.

Assumption 2: A PC will sell three items (a weapon/implement, an armor and a neck item) per sub-tier, resulting in a loss of 80% of those items' value. (This might be a little generous, especially by epic levels. I'm open to suggestions.)

Assumption 3: There are 31+ level items for 27+ level PCs. Writing this WBL chart has actually gotten me interested in writing them.

Methodology:

1. For each level, I added together the value of an item two levels higher than the PC and the sell value of an item of the PC's level. Yes, I added the 100 gp for first level, just to be extra anal.

2. At levels 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 29 and 30 I subtracted 4/5 the value of an item one less than the PC's level, to reflect selling off enhancement bonus items as the PC finds better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue
    That means it's off by one level: the numbers are the expected wealth after the level has been "completed", i.e. all packages having been collected.
    Ya know, my brain is fried and my eyes are bugging out...but I think you're right. Would someone else confirm?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ya know, my brain is fried and my eyes are bugging out...but I think you're right. Would someone else confirm?
    Seems to be. I wrote up a similar chart once. Let me check.
    {table]Level|WBL
    1|100
    2|852
    3|1,924
    4|3,443
    5|5,539
    6|8,339
    7|12,099
    8|17,459
    9|25,059
    10|35,539
    11|49,539
    12|68,339
    13|95,139
    14|133,139
    15|185,539
    16|255,539
    17|349,539
    18|483,539
    19|673,539
    20|935,539
    21|1,285,539
    22|1,755,539
    23|2,425,539
    24|3,375,539
    25|4,685,539
    26|6,435,539
    27|8,785,539
    28|11,635,539
    29|14,885,539
    30|18,435,539[/table]
    Are my numbers. This was based on a similar system (Specifically: Adding up the purchase price of all the previous levels of items, without taking into account selling old items. Use a group of 5 PCs, assume all packages were handed out, average.) So these aren't exact either.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-12-20 at 11:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

What sort of madman doesn't like the treasure parcel system?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rounding is your friend. As said, you'll want to take away a percentage for damage or consumables anyway.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Rounding is your friend. As said, you'll want to take away a percentage for damage or consumables anyway.
    Very true. With some Arbitrary rounding, you can get something reasonably close like this:
    {table]Level|Wealth
    1|100
    2|800
    3|1,500
    4|2,750
    5|4,000
    6|6,000
    7|9,250
    8|14,000
    9|17,500
    10|25,000
    11|35,000
    12|50,000
    13|70,000
    14|100,000
    15|130,000
    16|190,000
    17|250,000
    18|350,000
    19|525,000
    20|700,000
    21|950,000
    22|1,300,000
    23|1,900,000
    24|2,500,000
    25|3,500,000
    26|4,500,000
    27|6,500,000
    28|9,500,000
    29|13,000,000
    30|17,500,000[/table]
    Which is a lot easier to use.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

But why go through all that trouble (except for the geeky fun of arithmetic, of course)? If you do not like the 'three magic items at level n-1, n, n+1 and gold corresponding to the price of n-1' at char creation, just use the collective value of those items and let the player buy what he/she wants instead.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

...what, exactly, is this for, anyways? Is it to replace the parcel system? Or how to pick equipment when starting at level 2+? Or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    ...what, exactly, is this for, anyways? Is it to replace the parcel system? Or how to pick equipment when starting at level 2+? Or what?
    You'll have to ask one of the posters who doesn't like the parcel system.

I'm not here to judge, just to spread the Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa joy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

But I mean, what is it supposed to be measuring? How much money you should have at a given level? Because it'll take me all of ten seconds to do all thirty levels based on RebelRogue's idea.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

I think the big difference is that WBL encouraged the DM to adjust treasure if the party over/undershot, while the parcel system just says "here's your stuff". To a certain sort of player, that implies that every expenditure on rituals, consumables or RP is "wasting" Optimal Total Character Gold.

Not something I notice at the table for several reasons, but it's easily a place I could see a theoretical optimizer's mind going.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    But I mean, what is it supposed to be measuring? How much money you should have at a given level? Because it'll take me all of ten seconds to do all thirty levels based on RebelRogue's idea.
    WBL gives a slightly more accurate picture of what you would have at a given level, had you actually leveled your character up to that point by adventuring. How much you value that extra accuracy is a matter of taste, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance
    I think the big difference is that WBL encouraged the DM to adjust treasure if the party over/undershot, while the parcel system just says "here's your stuff". To a certain sort of player, that implies that every expenditure on rituals, consumables or RP is "wasting" Optimal Total Character Gold.
    That's what I've heard from a few posters too. Although the text surrounding WBL is a bit vague in 3e, it can easily be interpreted as 'If a player makes poor purchase choices, don't make them suffer the consequences for more than a level.' So because that's how it works with many DMs in 3e, some people associate this with WBL.

A DM can compensate for poor purchase decisions just as easily using the parcel system though, so I'm not sure what the hubaloo is.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2009-12-21 at 10:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

WBL gives a slightly more accurate picture of what you would have at a given level, had you actually leveled your character up to that point by adventuring. How much you value that extra accuracy is a matter of taste, of course.
    Like you, I don't really see what the big deal is. I also don't really see the use of the tables in this thread, frankly, because there's so many assumptions that go into them. They assume how many consumables are used, how much is spent on rituals, when and how many items are sold, and even how many members there are in the party. No matter how hard somebody tries, all they're going to get is thirty numbers, nothing more.

I choose to make just one assumption: that the designers decided on the starting gear for a given level, then based the parcel system on winding up somewhere around there. Like people who try to add up and assume every player decision, I wind up with thirty numbers that are just as accurate or inaccurate. Mine, however, are a hell of a lot easier to figure up.

Edit: Addendum

Actually, I'm just gonna add mine up and see how they compare to the two tables.

Addendum 2:

Mine are very close to Gralamin's rounded figures. Twenty-six of twenty-nine of his are within 25% of mine, and ten of those are within 10%. Only levels 2, 3, and 19 are more than 25% away.

Twenty-one of twenty-nine of the OP's numbers are within 25%, and four of those are within 10%.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-12-21 at 03:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

This is useful for us players whose DM happen to think that getting paid is unheroic. Our DM is so stingy we once had to go on strike.

Our party has flexible payment options with House Kundarrak so that people who give us missions can meet our (in our DM's opinion) extravagant prices. This also means that sometime we have to come over and ask(extort/beg) for our payment. We recieve the money late anyway.

He thinks its unrealistic for some monsters to be dropping stuff. Since a few gold is good enough to subsist by, some monsters drop 2G and a few silvers at level 10! We, in turn become stingy players, we never sleep in inns, seeing as the ground is free. *sigh*
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.