Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default {3.5e} I HATE MY DM sometimes!!!

My DM is starting a new campaign @ Lv1. He also said no homebrew at all. So that means no amusing stuff...

He also said Base Races, @ 0LA, however, Kobold is "technically" a base race, considering its in MMI, so I now have a sickeningly twisted sense of revenge for the BS i've endured!!!

So here's some of my ideas, considering my goal @ lv. 20:

Race for All: Venerable Dragonwrought Earth/Desert Kobold (Considering I saw VERY little difference)

Build 1: Dragonfire Adept 10/Dragon Disciple 5/Dragonfire Adept 5

Based on breath weapon abuse. Probably the weakest of all of my ideas...

Build 2: (Note: Requires Red/Gold dragonwrought to be effective...)
    Sorcerer 5/Elemental Savant 5/Frost Mage 10

Immune to both Fire and Cold? YES SIR!

Build 3: Bard 1/Sublime Chord 10/Seeker of The Song 5/Lyric Thaumaturge 4
    Singing as a sonic weapon (Might swap out for Half-Drow Half-Elf and take Bladesinger instead)

Any other ideas. No Psionics, no Incarnum, no "Unstoppable game-breaking lv1", ect.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: {3.5e} I HATE MY DM sometimes!!!

Trying to annoy your DM is destined to end in failure, and none of the templates or, in fact, races are legal (desert kobold isn't core, and neither are the kobold supplements).

So this is just a horrible idea.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    My DM is starting a new campaign @ Lv1. He also said no homebrew at all. So that means no amusing stuff...
    That's really not ridiculous, yknow... Im all for vengeance when it's deserved(see previous posts today, regarding lighting DMs afire), but I think this might be premature.

I'm also willing to bet he means "base races" as those found in the phb. Core is what includes MM.

4. - Top - End - #4

He also said Base Races, @ 0LA, however, Kobold is "technically" a base race, considering its in MMI, so I now have a sickeningly twisted sense of revenge for the BS i've endured!!!
    Let's see how well this is going to work out.

Build 1: Dragonfire Adept 10/Dragon Disciple 5/Dragonfire Adept 5
    Not only do you not qualify for Dragon Disciple, it weakens your character because it has zero synergy with Dragonfire Adept.

Build 2: (Note: Requires Red/Gold dragonwrought to be effective...)
    Sorcerer 5/Elemental Savant 5/Frost Mage 10
    Elemental Savant forces all your energy spells ever to be of one energy type.
    This makes you cry when the enemy casts Protection from Energy, a third level spell.

Build 3: Bard 1/Sublime Chord 10/Seeker of The Song 5/Lyric Thaumaturge 4
    This just doesn't work. At all. You should know why.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Trying to annoy your DM is destined to end in failure, and none of the templates or, in fact, races are legal (desert kobold isn't core, and neither are the kobold supplements).

He never said core, just said no homebrew, no psionics, no incarnum (not sure why the latter two aren't allowed...)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    He never said core, just said no homebrew, no psionics, no incarnum (not sure why the latter two aren't allowed...)
    Thats really not all that restrictive. Incarnum is commonly not used because it's not well understood. Psionics, either the same, or an impression that they're overpowered. They're really not, but you can make a wide varieties of reasonable characters in what's allowed there.

I think this isn't sufficient reason for hatred.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I'm going to assume you have some other reason for wanting revenge on your DM, because banning homebrew and limiting the races that can be played is pretty standard stuff in my gaming circle.

Also, you can't beat the DM. Get this idea out of your head. You can't even beat the DM with Pun-Pun. The DM is always right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, banning homebrew is...pretty damn common. Seriously, nearly everyone does that, or at least restricts it to stuff they personally inspect, because of the sheer volume of badly balance homebrew out there.

I typically ban it all myself.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

So basically, whip a rock at my dm and say, "Sorry, can't join the game because you don't use what I like?"

and in essence, he said, "Core 3 and any suppliment books. Just only lv1 and 0la races."

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Doesn't sound too bad. Just becouse you can't have homebrew weirdness doesn't mean you can't have fun. Instead of worrying about Prc abuse and level builds make a character concept that would be fun to play reguardless.

Have a character with some fun mannerisms, back story, a funny voice.... Something quirky about them, or play up something that amuses you.

You'll avoid antagonizing the DM, maybe have some fun and avoid the whole you vs the DM mechanic, which once started will never end well (for either DM or player).
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

So basically, whip a rock at my dm and say, "Sorry, can't join the game because you don't use what I like?"

and in essence, he said, "Core 3 and any suppliment books. Just only lv1 and 0la races."
    Yes. Do just that. From your attitude, I believe this is the most sensible move, and what will turn out to be the most beneficial for you, your DM and the rest of the group.

Except for the part where you whip a rock at him. What the hell dude?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

This has to be a troll. That is....completely not worthy of rock chucking.

Why is this such a big deal to you?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grushvak View Post
    Yes. Do just that. From your attitude, I believe this is the most sensible move, and what will turn out to be the most beneficial for you, your DM and the rest of the group.

Except for the part where you whip a rock at him. What the hell dude?
    I was being snide............

anywho, I need Ideas.........BAD

He allowed any variant races, and I need some Ideas for the following "concept"

Considering we have an Elf Paladin (gag) who's the most epic ball-washer in existance, I thought either a gruff pair of Dwarf Twins or an Unruly Orc would be excellent comic relief.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Uh, okay? This is almost as amusing as your level 100 battle thread.

plz2b making clear what exactly is so outrageous about these particular restrictions and why you're blowing a fuse on them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Uh, okay? This is almost as amusing as your level 100 battle thread.

plz2b making clear what exactly is so outrageous about these particular restrictions and why you're blowing a fuse on them.
    I just spoke with him, to clarify. I thought he took away all of my "play-toys" when he didn't. I overreacted and blew my top. Forgive me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Uh, I don't see your problem. You can't play anything but base races? Boo-hoo, you can't play anything more powerful than a human? Luckily, there are only one or two races that are even as good as humans, much less better.

You have to start at level 1? Most games do. It is kind of the level at which the game begins, to be fair.

No LA? In the vast majority of cases, taking level adjustment actually weakens your character when compared to an equal amount of class levels and XP.

Also, if this guy is willing to DM for you, you should have some respect. Just saying.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about you have fun instead of try to break your DM? Crack open Savage Species and play a Human satyr or something. Wait, hold on...
    Last edited by Glyde; 2009-12-21 at 01:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Also, if this guy is willing to DM for you, you should have some respect. Just saying.
    QFT. This guy sounds like he hasn't yet had the experience of learning what a valuable thing a DM is.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Have you read any/most of AG32's other threads? There's definitely some...interesting dynamics going on with this group. When arguements over who's the better player end in duels involving level 100 drow demiliches, you've gone somewhere that the term 'dysfunctional' decided to go cry in a corner because it's been rendered invalid. Minimal offense intended to the people in question, but I think respect is pretty much off the table for anyone.

That said...yeah, OP, you're overreacting again.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-12-21 at 01:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He allowed any variant races, and I need some Ideas for the following "concept"

Considering we have an Elf Paladin (gag) who's the most epic ball-washer in existance, I thought either a gruff pair of Dwarf Twins or an Unruly Orc would be excellent comic relief.
    Hmm... Grungy Wildshaping Ranger? Crunchy Druid who wants to go MOMF for whatever reason?

Swift Hunter type? Haberdash the Masked as some more of a trickster archetype? The Horizon Tripper as a hippy?

I'm kind of weirded out by the captialization of "Ideas" and the quotation marks around "'concept.'"
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-12-21 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DnD is a cooperative game. The players and the DM should both be at the table with the objective of having fun and helping each other have fun.

If you come to a tabletop RPG with the express purpose of pissing someone off, maybe you should consider not coming to the table at all.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Elemental Savant forces all your energy spells ever to be of one energy type.
    This makes you cry when the enemy casts Protection from Energy, a third level spell.
    Frost Mage Protects from that, though natural immunities are still protection (such as from having cold subtype).

Searing Spell is the better choice.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Some games require homebrew to work properly. D&D is not one of them. Really, chill. Core rules never stopped anyone from making a fun character.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Man, seriously, I love your threads. I come here for over-the-top great humor, and it always delivers.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Agreed.

But I fully endorse him going ahead with it.

Hey, airguitar, you know warforged is a base race, and if you apply the incarnate construct to it, you get two free LA to work with? True story.

I recommend taking either 5 levels of wizard and exchanging its fifth level feat for the complete champion ACF that lets you spontaneously cast divination spells, or picking up uncanny forethought. In either case, you qualify for Ultimate Magus at level 5 which will advance your wizard casting 17/10. So at level 15 you'll be casting as a level 22 wizard.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I ban homebrew myself due to bad experiences with balance. Some of it is really good, but it's easier to just carpet ban it instead of having to white list a few and have to put up with player whining that "You allowed X so you should allow Y too."

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

I now have a sickeningly twisted sense of revenge for the BS i've endured!!!
    All I take away from this eating out of your own heart is that your DM is doing his job right. John Wick and James Wallis would probably approve.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-12-21 at 05:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought either a gruff pair of Dwarf Twins or an Unruly Orc would be excellent comic relief.
    Man, they should totally make "pair of Dwarf Twins" into a race. No, it's not dwarf. It means that your character is a pair of dwarf twins, who must be adjacent to each other at all times (or even standing on each other's shoulders!) to use any of your abilities.

Best. Race. Ever.

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm about to start DMing a game. I'm saying to my players that I'd prefer they stick to core or approved homebrew (mostly stuff from the Dragon magazines...). Not because I want to limit their fun, but just because I don't even know all of the core rules yet, and I don't want to have to be looking up stats in random places and thinking about whether something is balanced enough.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I just spoke with him, to clarify. I thought he took away all of my "play-toys" when he didn't. I overreacted and blew my top. Forgive me.
    There's nothing to forgive. Luckily, I'm not your DM.
    At least, you've done the right thing speaking with him BEFORE doing all the senseless things you were planning.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.