Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 57
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The shining jewel of Breland, Sharn is a city that never sleeps. While the honest, hard-working folk labor and craft and fight and love during the day and rest when the dark comes, for others the setting of the sun is their rebirth from the little death. Blades reflect the moonlight, dark blood spills and cries are lost in the shadows. Here is the true Sharn, the face hid from the light of day. The power that moves without being seen. The thief that steals life.

    ---

    The past two years the monstrous criminal family known as Daask has been hitting the Boromar clan. They have bled in the streets, bled in their shops, and bled in their homes. The Boromar patriach, Saidan, has had enough. He's ordered his intelligence expert Castar to come up with a permanent solution to the Daask problem. His solution begins with you.

    You were approached one day by Castar and asked to join a new group he was putting together. Your mission has two objectives: First - hit Daask hard. Weaken them where it hurts. Take from them their resources, their lifeblood, their pride. Show them that nothing they have is safe, that there is no place they can hide. Second - earn back Boromar's lost respect. Strike fear into the city. Let the others know that the Boromar Clan is still the best.

    ---

    After your initial meeting Castar told you to wait for his summons while he gathers together others that will be your teammates. A week passes, and late in the afternoon one day you hear his voice in your head. "House office. Korran-Thiven. Second bell tomorrow morning. Get into the Ward on your own."

    Spoiler
    Show

    A DC 19 Spellcraft check will allow you to recognize it as a Sending spell. If you do you may send a message back.

    If there was something you wanted to do during the week, tell me about it in the OOC or PM me if it's secret shady stuff.

    Also - Korran-Thiven is one of the Upper Ward's financial districts. The Boromar Clan has a heavy presence there and maintains a large mansion that they refer to as their office. It is not their private residence, but where they conduct their business. Second bell is about mid-morning; equivalent to our 8 o'clock or so. 24 hours, 6 bells. First one rings at 4am.

    Entrance to the Upper Ward is restricted. Guards at the skyways check papers, and if you don't live there or have official or trade business there, you don't get it.

    First task - Break into the Upper Ward, either through deceit, connections, or stealth. It is known that the entrance guards are warded against Enchantment magics, but are not totally shielded.
    Last edited by dangerprawn; 2009-12-21 at 02:52 PM.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia was perusing the selection of food at the Commons plaza of Morgrave University when she received Castar's Sending spell. Recognizing it easily, she mentally replied to the gnome's missive.
    Of course, Castar. I'll be there promptly. Cecilia d'Medani out.

    The next day, after rousing herself and having a light breakfast at the House Medani enclave in Dragon Towers, the half-elf makes her way to the main skybridge marking the entrance to the Korran-Thiven district. She was not concerned about her chances of gaining entry; her status as a member of a Dragonmarked family opened many doors, and she didn't even consider the possibility that her business would be questioned.
    Her glamerweave outfit, stylishly formfitting and alluring, shined like an eldritch rainbow in the morning light. Her House Medani signet brooch, gilded in fine electrum, was displayed proudly on the clasp of her traveling cloak, revealing the Basilisk for all to see. The only thing potentially questionable on her person is the longsword strapped to her belt; the ornamental appearance of the weapon might call into question its functionality, but it was quite deadly when wielded in anger.
    Cecilia walks up to the checkpoint without stopping, and will be quite displeased should she be accosted.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Cecilia's going to try to enter, relying on her signet brooch. Should she still be stopped and questioned, she'll cooperate, showing her ID papers and explaining that she has official business with one of the 60 Families this morning. She will not be happy about it, though, and will make clear her annoyance and impatience with such treatment.
    If necessary:
    Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[20]
    Bluff (to conceal the true nature of her visit): (1d20+13)[29]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Naev stood in the little apartment she had requisitioned for the night, going over the sending in her head. It really was the chance of a lifetime, ad a challenge like this didn't come around every day. It was nice to be recognized as well, them coming to her an all. She didn't bother responding to the send, but rather got to work.

    She had be engaged in a few small time games here, dropping them would be inconvenient,but doable. She did want more information on this job however, things like pay, see, Naev kept, what she stole.

    The team thing would be difficult too, she thought. Poisoning them right off the bat might be the best option, though her employers might not take nicely to it, they would get over it. She'd have to check her contacts, look for a nice latent drug. Hold it over there heads until the job was over.

    These are the thoughts that went through her head as she went about her preparations. Going in and letting the world know where she went was so... barbaric. So she started first working on making some papers for one... Sarina Mills. A merchant, along with her husband. Going to offer her wares in person to a clinet. Yes, this would work nicely.

    A disguise was next, but it was no problem. Such things where her specialty. A touch up here, a twist of that wonderful hat there, and before long, where the tiefling once stood was a pretty, older human woman, with olive colored skin, dark hair, perhaps starting to show some of her years in the cheeks.


    All of that done, Naev finally stepped out, looking herself over one last time, and approached her meeting place. She stops at the checkpoint like a good little sheep, nothing more then another person out for the day.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise: (1d20+25)[31] two for my kit and 10 extra for my hat of disguise and another two from bluff syneregy minus two for being another race

    Forgery: (1d20+11)[18]

    Bluff: (1d20+14)[33]
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2009-12-21 at 04:27 PM.
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.”
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    As daylight begins to kiss the eastern towers of Sharn, their shadows cast great beams are darkness across the length of the city. One of these strikes the uppermost level of the Korran-Thiven district, as it does every morning, preventing the polished surfaces of the estates and banks from glittering for another hour or so.

    Already the city has begun to stir. Carriages float languidly from one balcony to another and the howling wind swallows the footsteps of those scurrying across great bridges to arrive at their workplaces before second bell. But no one notices, no one could possibly notice, a shadow within the shadows.

    A sleek warforged as black darkness slowly ascends along the edge of the vast wall of the Upper Central Plateau, as if carried by the movement of the shadows themselves. A lieutenant of the Goldwings on hippogriff-back does a circuit of the Korran-Thiven from above, her glittering armour catching the light of day as she flits between the long shadows of the tallest towers. Yet even she, with keen eyes and magically-aided vision, does not detect the intruder. The warforged slinks over one of the great walls behind the offices of the Wayfinder Foundation and drops as slowly and silently as a leaf into the alley which, for a few moments yet, is spared the harsh scrutiny of daylight.

    With footsteps that melt into cobblestones and an outline that melts into shadows, the unheard, unseen Shade slowly makes its way to the Boromar Clan house office, eager for the next challenge Castar will present.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shade has used a charge from his Wand of Levitate to make his way over the walls of the district, relying on his proficiencies in stealth to remain unseen. Taking 10 in Hide or Move Silently gives a result of 27.


    ***

    The one place in all of Sharn in which Shade chose not to hide its presence was one in which many of those present did not wish to be seen, much less identified. In the very bowels of the City of Towers, surrounded on four sides by filth, poverty, crime and desperation, on another by magma, and the last by the ruins of a long-dead civilization, it was no wonder that the Temple of the Six managed to prosper.

    Here, Shade learned that there were many others with abilities that caused fear and isolation. Here, Shade learned that The Shadow had granted it the ability to see without being seen in the way that trolls were granted healing or that harpies were granted song. Here, surrounded by monsters of all stripes, Shade felt acceptance.

    Thus, Shade could not prevent resentment when the call came. If Castar knew that his pet was fraternizing with the rank and file of the Daask, his reaction would be swift and predictable. But Shade did not fear discovery, for its eyes were the only eyes the Boromar Clan had in this place, and the information gleaned from the followers of the Dark Six was the chief reason that Shade had become indispensable.

    Slipping into the darkness that the Cogs blessed its inhabitants with in excess, Shade mused, not for the first time, what it would be like to be free.
    Last edited by Naturax; 2009-12-22 at 12:07 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    It would still be two hours for the first bell. Two figures walked through the darkness, past the many temples and shrines of Sovereign Towers. An onlooker would have seen a young woman with pale skin and black hair, wrapped in a thick cloak. In front of her a large animal seemed to be on the prowl. It was almost impossible to see more then a vague outline, as it seemed to blend in with the shadows. However, as they walked past a streetlamp, the light would pass through it as if weren’t really there. But there were no onlookers. At this time of the day the few people that walked the streets knew better then then to stare at another traveler.

    Seri knew where she had to go. She entertained herself by thinking of the possible tasks that Castar would have for her until the she spotted the shrine to the Traveler and the lone figure that stood next to it. He was armed and dressed like one of the guards from above. There was the man she was looking for.

    The man finally noticed the hound and as it approached he reached for his sword. A hand stopped him and he heard a whisper in his ear. “Easy Sagmir, she’s with me. Sorry if I kept you waiting.” The man, shaking, tried to relax and slip his hand away.

    “I see… and what will I be selling myself out for this time? Who’s blood will be on my hands?” He slowly turns around, Seri had already let go and was looking at the shrine. She smiled at him.

    “Don’t be such a fatalist. There won’t be any notes on the Inquisitor about this, a possible employer just wanted to make things hard for me.”
    Her hound moves past Sagmir, leaving a cold chill in its wake. Seri kneels down and opens her palm. As it touches her, the hound seems to melt into her. “The less you know about it, the better for you. If it’ll ease your curiosity though, I’ll say that I’m to help bring things back to how they should be.” She stands up and shows Sagmir an open palm.

    The guard hesitates, but in the end, decides it was for the best. He hands her his documents and keys. Seri nods “So kind of you.” She unhooks her cloak, revealing a chain shirt. As she looks over Sagmir, her armor begins to shift until it has become an identical copy of the guardsman’s. “As always, someone will stop by your apartment and give them back to you, along with your payment, in a couple of days. I hope you can continue to work with us. Enjoy your night off.”

    ---
    At 5 to the second bell, Seri was outside the offices. She’d taken the least transited entrance and worked Sagmir’s lonely watch at one of the more out of the way exotic traders. She hadn’t seen another soul all morning.

    Spoiler
    Show
    She'll use Disguise Self when getting past the checkpoint, which would give a +15 net bonus on the check. Sagmir would be on House Tarkanan's payroll
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-12-22 at 03:13 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rogue 7's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The message contacted Dress in his default state- asleep. He was recovering from a night out of drinking himself into unconsciousness- admittedly, something of a rare occurrence for him. Drinking usually meant other people, and that was something he was keen on avoiding, unless he was in a very good mood. He hadn't really been in what you could call a "good mood" last night, but the desire for booze was a strong one, and its siren call was difficult to ignore. Fortunately, he got the message rather clearly.

    "Typical. Ask me to meet in the part of the city I hate going to unless on business, and not even giving me an in. I swear..."

    He broke off, mumbling to himself as he looked around his small but well-furnished apartment, sun shining through the one small window that extended up to ground level. He pulled together his gear, grabbed a chunk of bread, and prepared to depart.

    Leaving, he made his way through the hustle and bustle of Sharn as he always did- head up to take in his surroundings, but never looking anyone in the eye. That was relatively easy when you were a gnome. His clothes were nondescript and functional, and so he attracted little attention.

    As he came up to the gate, he paused to observe, taking the chance to see if any magic guarded the door. If there was enough space, he could slip through invisibly quite easily. If not, well, that way involved a few more resources, but it was easily doable. He paused, hiding behind the nearest cover as he made his observations. How far apart were the guards, that he could get through without bumping into anyone? How many people were passing through? Were there enough that he could slip by while the guards were attending to more visible patrons? What spells were used that might deter invisible passers-by?

    If the gate was too heavily guarded, well, that wasn't much of a problem. Walls were not much of an obstacle to him, and he could even make as much noise as he'd like- no one would hear a thing.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Casting Detect Magic

    Depending on whether he thinks he can slip through the gate unnoticed- there's no divinations or abjurations cast on the gate, and the guards appear to be paying more attention to the people passing through- he'll cast invisibility and sneak past the guards, taking 10 on move silently for a 19. If that doesn't appear feasible- there are magical wards, the guards appear to be looking for intruders- he'll find an unoccupied spot on the wall, scout out for guards, and cast invisibility and spider climb and go in that way.


    As he sneaked into the restricted area of the city, he wondered just what the job was for him. Another art heist? He hadn't been practicing all that much lately, he was worried he might be a little rusty. Who knew? This kind of job could be just what the doctor ordered- a chance to flex his magic and show off his skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The two silver cloaked Royal Guardsman standing watch at the skyway detain Cecillia momentarily. "Apologies, Lady. But we must follow regulations. Your papers please." The guard quickly glances over your identificaiton and returns to attention. "Thank you, Lady." He listens with patience at her tirade and says nothing else, merely nodding to her as she finishes and pass through.

    Soon after Cecilia goes through an older woman with dark hair, in somber but fine clothes approaches. The guard inspects her papers with more attention, though still passes her through.


    ---

    The Boromar Clan mansion in Korran-Thiven stands out among the other buildings in the district. Instead of rising high into the air with dizzying spires, it squats low and flat, spreading itself out wide instead of tall. Some say this reflects the typical halfing's perspective. Others call it a shrewd maneuver on the part of Saidan Boromar, the head of the clan. They see it as a metaphor for the entire clan. People often forget about what they do not immediately see. And that's where Saidan wants to be; moving around behind the scenes, unseen until he chooses to strike.

    The grounds are sprawling and well-manicured. Having real grass and trees at this level in the city costs a fortune to maintain; but then again everything is more expensive in the Upper Wards. If they didn't have the money to throw around, they wouldn't be here in the first place.

    A single halfing clad in dark breeches and white buttoned shirt stands guard outside the door. At your entrance he simply opens the door and motions his head for you to enter. Inside the hall the marble floor has a thick, blue carpet running from the door to the double spiral staircase at the other end of the foyer. Standing near the base of the stairs, a few steps up to be on even level with you, is Castar. The Clan's head mage is tall for a halfling at nearly three and a half feet. He flips aside his white and silver trimmed cloak, revealing dark blue breeches and a tailored maroon shirt. He nods at you.

    "Welcome to our offices. I'm pleased to see you're all on time. Lord Boromar would like to speak with you all." He glances over to a pair of halfling servants standing to the side and motions his head. They leave through a door and the strong smell of fresh baked bread wafts through. "If you will all walk with me to the library, I'll let him know you've arrived."

    Spoiler
    Show
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Shade has the kind of personality that could suddenly stop a wild party. Dress would know.

    Without sparing a glance for the others the black-plated warforged follows in step with Castar, though it already knows the way to the library. Shade was unable to hide its surprise, however, that others had been summoned here today. Clearly the living construct was used to working alone. However, it made no efforts to converse, not even introduce itself.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia follows Castar with a smile, all business and politeness. She gives everyone else a polite nod in greeting, but says little else. Her affiliation with House Medani is evident enough... as for what the Boromar Clan would have her do, that was yet to be revealed.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Seri made no effort to hide the way she looked over the others. Any who answered her curious gaze would receive a playful smile as she excused herself "Oh, sorry, don't mind me.", before continuing as if nothing had happened. So this is who she'd be working with. She wondered how the proud basilisk would react to what was under the wrappings on her arm. Although, if she really was a basilisk, she must already know. The coy toy soldier was curious in its own way, but the little man and the hag seemed rather 'mundane'.

    She follows Castar with some eagerness. She'd been waiting too many hours for this.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rogue 7's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Dress acknowledges any greeting with no more than a curt nod, and offers none of his own. He is very much there for business and nothing else, and makes this point abundantly clear with a withering glare at anyone who attempts to engage him in conversation. He is quiet and polite to his employer- this is the representative of the people who allow him to pursue his trade relatively unmolested. but no one else receives the same courtesy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Castar leads everyone into the next room, the low archway between the rooms causing Naev to duck her head. The library is a wide open space, the walls lined with shelves and racks of books, the cieling going up to at least ten feet. A large fireplace dominates the east end of the room and the blazing fire there warms the last of the morning chill. Low couches and sofas are scattered about the room, and a few high backed leather chairs are near the mantle.

    The halfling mage walks over to the fireplace and speaks softly a word of power. The flames waver for a moment before shrinking down to the size of a cook fire. He glances back over his shoulder. "Lord Boromar doesn't like it too hot." He says. "Please, sit. The servants will be bringing food and drink in a moment, and I'll go see to Lord Boromar."

    As he finishes speaking the two halfling servants emerge from the hallway with trays of cold meats, cheeses, breads and drinks. They place the trays down on a low table and stand ready to serve. Steam wafts from the coffee and tea service.

    Castar nods and smiles. "A quiet group. Good." He bows slightly and says, "If you have any pressing questions...please hold on to them. I will return shortly with Lord Boromar and he will answer them." He nods again and walks back out to the hallway and goes up the stairs.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spellcraft DC 16 to identify the spell. If you succeed, you recognize it as Control Fire, a simple first level Sorcer/Wizard Transmutation spell that adjusts flames, either making them more intense and bright or lowering them, even to extinguish them.

    I thought there was a spell that did this...but couldn't find it. So I made it up. Anyone know if there is a spell that does this?
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia takes a seat on one of the sofas, and a cup of tea from one of the halflings.
    "Thank you."
    She was not hungry, refusing the other snacks politely. The half-elf stares about the library with interest, drinking in the scenery, and observing the others summoned to the meeting with a discerning eye.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spellcraft, for laffs:
    (1d20+5)[6]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The warforged whose body seems to absorb light rather than reflect it only sits when bidden to do so. It looks about, unable to mask its discomfort at being stranded in the middle of a well-lit room.

    Ignoring the offer of refreshments, it begins taking a minute to scrutinize each of the others that have been summoned by Castar, its gaze passing over the books that line the walls without interest. Shade's slow inspection begins with the half-elf, watching her every move and facial expression as though committing it to memory.

    Spoiler
    Show
    With nothing better to do at the moment, I'd like to think that Shade's silent gaze causes some discomfort. Maybe that'll give us some RP fodder. And, for reference, I'm trying to play Shade as though it has a negative charisma modifier, because it does.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Fortress of Solitude
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Naev lets the enchantment that she had kept around her fall away, twisting the hat into the form of a green ribbon. Thinsg to do things to do, looks like there host was busy getting there act together, and it was nice to be needed, that was sure. Still waiting was irritating.

    Patience, after all was not her chief virtue.

    Either way, they where here so she might as well start trying to pull useful information from this new crew.

    "Well well,"
    Naev said with a genuine (looking) smile, "So I 'ssume you all here for this new job am I right? Whats your story? What makes you special enough to get in here?"
    Thought of the Week: There are usually only about ten people in the world you really care about. Maybe your parents, some friends, the person you sleep with, and me.”
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The smell was a pleasure to the senses as after 6 hours of guard duty. She asks for a good portion of meat and a bit of everything else. Her plate is empty mere moments later. After basking in a warm cup of coffee she takes not of the hag who was not really a hag's questions.

    "Well, it seems bold to ask something like that without opening up first. I will say this though, yes, I'm here due to Castar's offer, I'm here because I have an axe to grind, and apparently I'm the only one of my friends who's actually eager to try and decapitate the Daask."
    She takes another drink, enjoying every bit of it? With a smile, she points to the interviewer, "What about you?"
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rogue 7's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Dress remains silent, though he does accept some cakes. He sits on a couch, his hands folded in front of his face, glaring slightly.

    "Let's just hear this job."
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia ***** an eyebrow at Naev's questions.
    "I'm here on official House business. I'm a licensed personal security professional."
    The half-elf smiles politely, folding her hands in her lap.
    Certainly a colorful group. And so friendly. I would expect nothing less from the Boromars.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The two halflings serve the food and drinks and then bow and leave the library. A moment later you can hear someone coming down the stairs. Lord Boromar pauses at the entrance to the room and barely glances over at everyone. He's dressed in dark blue breeches and matching shirt, a thin gold chain hanging out of one of the pockets of his black vest. His short black hair is shot through with grey, though his blue eyes are still clear and focused. He walks in and moves over to the mantle, taking a seat in one of the high-backed chairs.

    Castar follows behind him and stands next to the chair. Lord Boromar turns to the fire a moment and nods before turning back to everyone assembled. "I am...glad...you all have arrived on time and in such discreet fashion. The watch has issued no alerts this morning for intruders, so I believe my confidence in you has not been misplaced." He glances over at the food. "I trust you all have had your choice." He says as he motions towards the tray. Castar walks over and picks up an apple and slices it, placing the pieces on a small plate.

    "The purpose of our gathering is to discuss entering into a mutually beneficial arrangement between yourself and my House." He says, munching on a slice of apple. "You all possess...unique...and varied talents that are particularly applicable to the current situation." He pauses a moment to eat another slice.

    "You will be tasked with certain goals that need to be attained so we may begin to redress the order of balance within our great city. She is hurting, wounded by a monstrous infection that threatens to throw all our lives into upheaval. My House requires your skills in this matter, and you will be greatly compensated for your services." He says, regarding a last apple slice before eating it.

    He leans in close and stares, his eyes hard. "To sum up and express the necessity in brief; Find Daasks' weak spots and cut their legs out from under them. When they are lying on the ground bleeding, wondering how this could have happened, we will slit their throats and remove their plague from our city."
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Seri

    As Lord Boromar enters, Seri gives the tiefling a look that says that she'll be wanting an answer later. It was only fair after all, and if everyone was still so set on keeping up the charade that things were fair, then it was only natural.

    As their employer spoke, Seri was drawn more and more into the speech, growing more excited. It finally reached its peak when he stopped beating around the bush. She was going to be paid for decapitating Daask... Beautiful. Here smile is genuine, at least as far as a room with such individuals would be willing to accept.

    She humbly bows her head before her employer, "My liege, I for one would be honored to serve your house in this endeavor..."
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Your intentions are most clear, Shade rasps. Apparently whoever created this warforged spent little time on its ability to communicate. Would you like us to decide how best to proceed or do you have particular targets in mind already?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Saidan Boromar looks at Shade. "Castar has identified a number of possibilities for you to consider first." He glances at the halfling and Caster steps forward.

    "There's no milk runs here. Once Daask knows that we're after them they won't wait for you to strike. With that in mind we've allocated one of our safe houses for your use in the lower plateau, in the Firelight." He pauses a moment. "Once we've started don't count on going back to your old life until this is seen through. I guarantee that Daask will do everything they can to keep what they've stolen."

    "Your first priorities should be retaking what they've already took from us. But they'll expect that. So were going to ignore those for now, and strike where they don't imagine we'll go."

    He steps back and brings his hands together and raises them apart, glowing lines of force shimmering into being. They solidify and arrange themselves into a three dimensional map of Sharn. He releases his hands and the magical construct hangs there. "They operate mostly in Khyber's Gate and have slowly taken over parts of Lower Dura." He says, and the map zooms in to show the Malleon's Gate area of Lower Dura. "We've identified a warehouse here that they use to produce and store their drugs, mostly dreamlily and heartflow." A black star appears on the map.

    He waves his hand and the vision scrolls, showing another part of Lower Dura. "This is a boarding house that their street thieves use, for their pickers and second story men. It's really just a crash house for the unskilled trash that Daask lets wander the streets to harass the people." Another black star glows on the map. "It would not be a tragedy if something catastrophic happened to the building, especially if the tenants were unfortunate enough to be stuck inside."

    "While the drugs and street thieves are an integral part of Daask's operations, we also want to strike at the leaders of Daask themselves. We have received intelligence that the head of Daask's cutthroat assassins for hire is actively looking for new recruits. Keshta, a filthy gnoll that is as cowardly as he is dangerous, has established a semi-permanent residence at the Shamukaar. Kill him." The illusion shifts and shows the Khyber Gate ward and a third black star appears to mark the building.

    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC knowledge about the districts, or you can read the descriptions in Sharn: City of Towers.

    Firelight / Upscale red light district.

    The Firelight district caters to clients seeking entertainment of an intimate nature, as well as hardcore and casual gamblers. While Sharn's other red-light districts, Sharn's Welcome and Dragoneyes, are dangerous and disreputable places most respectable citizens wouldn't dream of visiting, Firelight has somehow managed to maintain a reputation as a socially acceptable place to come and have fun, whatever type of fun one might be interested in having. Crime is much better controlled in Firelight than in the other red-light districts, so customers are less likely to become victims. Changelings control most of the bordellos here, as they do in Dragoneyes, but they employ members of almost all races.


    Shamukaar / This is the largest and most successful tavern in the region, and it is the safest place to deal with members of Daask. Shamuskaar is simultaneously a slaughterhouse, a butcher shop, a restuarant, and a tavern. It caters to Droaam immigrants, a category that includes many different specis: ogres, gnolls, harpies, minotaurs, and even medusa can be found at the bar.

    Despiter the monstrous nature of its patrons, Shamukaar is one of the safeest places in Khyber's Gate. Even the monsters of Daask recognize the need for a neutral ground and a safe haven, and Shamukaar serves that purpose. Unless provoked beyond measure, a resident of Khyber's Gate will not start a fight in Shamukaar. And if anyone does start a fight, all other patrons unite together to subdue the aggressor.
    Last edited by dangerprawn; 2010-01-04 at 02:00 AM.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia sits back and watches the illusory map with interest. She moves forward a bit in her seat before speaking.
    "I'm game for whatever objective the group would have us achieve first, but I'll put my vote in for visiting this Keshta. Infiltration and assassination are my meat and mead, so to speak."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rogue 7's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Dress fiddles a bit before speaking up.

    "Infiltration is definitely my specialty, much less so on the assassination part. I can do it, but I'm sure there are those more skilled at it."

    He had chuckled at the comment about not going back to his old life. He was a career thief, and he worked more or less permanently for these people. What were they expecting him to do?

    "Anyways, I think we'll need a bit of time to plan out these operations. Let's make these people dance to our tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ryuuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Seri

    Seri the intricate map with interest. Once the three black stars are in place, Seri eyes them carefully. "Murdering Keshta sounds like a challenge. It might make getting to the storages and safehouses that much more complicated. It would send a very clear message though, the Daask would know for certain that we exist, even more so if we do it inside Shamukaar and walk out..." She smiles. It was doable, though her years with her second family told her it was also reckless. Of course, they could always lure the dog out of his den, but where was the fun in that? A shiver seems to run down her back. This had been worth the wait.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2010-01-04 at 02:18 AM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Removing Keshta would be a mighty blow to the Daask, Shade offers in a flat, analytical tone, and Cavallah would receive our message loud and clear.

    But we do not simply want to invite retribution. We want to sew confusion and shatter morale,
    Shade continued without pause. To truly 'cut their legs out', we should attack all three targets simultaneously.

    Both the warehouse and the flophouse can be taken out by one or two of us with quick, brutal tactics, such as fire. Keshta likes to keep surrounded, so an individual skilled with poison or enchantment will have a much greater chance of success than five of us attempting a coordinated attack.

    With planning and finesse we strike hard and fast. Cavallah will react rashly, leaving opportunities for us to twist the blade.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rogue 7's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    The gnome's eyes light up just a bit at this statement.

    "...I like it."
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Castar raises an eyebrow. "All three at once? Bold...but a cunning strategy." He holds his hands apart for a moment and then brings them together. The map shrinks down and disappears. He reaches into his vest and pulls out three egg sized emerald gems and places them on the table. "Each has a detailed illusion of the target area programmed into it. The safehouse is a small two-story house in Firelight, right on the strip. Enough strange people visit that district that your own presences shouldn't raise alarm or undue notice."

    Saidan looks up at Castar, and the mage steps back. "From the moment you leave this house you are not to contact either myself, Castar, or any other House member openly." He glances at Shade. "Unless you have prior regular dealings with the House, then those may continue in order to maintain appearances. We will have people near the house, purely for precautionary measures. If you have need to contact Castar, hang a red light in the second story window. Our agents will note it and notify Castar, while the light will go unnoticed as unusual in that district." He rises to his feet.

    "Gentlemen...ladies...I wish for success, and pray for luck." He bows and grins. "But I always plan for the worst. Castar." He says, nodding to the mage. Castar bows and stays while Lord Boromar leaves the room.

    "We can offer assistance with some things. Equipment requisition, intelligence information, those sort of things." He watches Saidan as the older halfling slowly climbs up the stairs. "Unless there's something you can immediately think of that you need, I'll come find you once these tasks are done."
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    Cecilia always enjoyed a challenge, and a simultaneous attempt on all three objectives was almost too good to pass up. "Hmm... Thank you, Castar. I would only ask for any item or device that would allow for a quick escape, ideally to be used for a quick getaway upon completion of an objective. A one-time use item would be fine, but if not I would gladly return it. Anything that emulates a Dimension Door spell or something similar should suffice.
    ...
    Would it be possible to allow us to remain in here in the comfort and safety of this manor to make some initial plans?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    dangerprawn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Thieves of Sharn[IC]

    "Unfortunately, the office has other business this morning. It would be prudent if you were not found here." Castar says. "However, there is an item that would satisfy your need. It should be in your safehouse by the time you all arrive."

    "If there are no more requests...?" He says, standing by the fireplace.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •