Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5/PF] Gaining Iteratives Slightly Earlier

So, my group has adopted something of a houserule. We have ruled that characters get additional attacks at BAB +5, +10, +15 and +20, instead of +6, +11 and +16. This attack is essentially a +0 iterative.

Our reasoning is that lots of classes start out with a +0 BAB and still get an attack, so why not gain the next iterative when another +0 attack could be gained (rather than waiting until the +1).

Ultimately this helps out martial classes (which could probably use some help), and full BAB classes the most. We don't see it as that unbalancing...yet. We are just now level 5 and we (read: I) haven't been able to really sit down and analyze how this might effect things down the road.

Anyone have any thoughts?

With this houserule, a full BAB class at level 20 would have five attacks in a full attack (+20/+15/+10/+5/+0), so I guess the houserule breaks that maxim too. We don't plan to play past 20, so we probably won't worry about what happens at +25 and such.
    Last edited by Mauril Everleaf; 2009-12-22 at 01:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [3.5/PF] Gaining Iteratives Slightly Earlier

You don't get +25, because epic attack bonuses suck and only give you a +1/2 no matter what your class is.

This rule doesn't change all that much, though I always hated the -5 penalty per iterative.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

This houserule works out fine; it's something I use to reward full BAB progression characters on 20. Though I also eliminate the penalties on iteratives since an attack at -20 just isn't going to be useful most of the time.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think that iteratives past the first should have a scaling penalty; +20/+15/+15/+15 is a much better idea, I think, than +20/+15/+10/+5.

The first option I've seen in certain uncommon WotC material and a good deal of homebrew.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2009-12-22 at 10:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you only use one of the two houserules, I would go for the +20/+15/+15/+15 route over the extra iterative. Even so, using both probably wouldn't hurt anything, anyhow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.