New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Help me find just the right weapon to give my NPCs...

I'm looking for a weapon (preferrably a spear, but that's not set in stone) or item that will let a fairly ordinary level 6-10 paladin NPC get a hit reliably on an AC 35 monster (30 of which is Natural Armor). A bonus would be to also grant the ability to get through DR 15/Epic.

Money is no object, of course, I can just handwave it away as being an artifact of their order or whatever (yes, I realize I could just handwave the whole thing, but I want to have something ready in case the PCs get their grubby mitts on one).

I originally had high hopes for the Brilliant Energy special ability, but it turns out it only gets through 'armor', not 'natural armor'.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Help me find just the right weapon to give my NPCs...

Snag the SotAO feat and the Wraithstrike spell. Doesn't help with DR, but the only thing that does IIRC is a +4 Bane weapon.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Impaling ability lets you make touch attacks with a piercing weapon 3/day.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

well, when I think of touch attacks i think of deep impact, but that is a feat. It would be fun, though, to have an intelligent magic weapon that can gain psionic focus like a psicrystal, and also give the weilder access to psionic feats. A fun little way for nonpsionic characters to play with the psionic focus mechanic. For your purposes, obviously, one of those feats would be deep impact.

on second thought, that should probably some kind of psionic weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bows can get the force enchantment on them so that they turn their ammunition into force effects that ignore DR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide