New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Can 6 level 7 characters survive against a leve 9 solo? 4th edition

the title says it all. Could 6 level 7 characters survive against a level 9 solo? the characters in question are

a Tiefling Warlock
    a human fighter
    a Dragonborn Cleric
    a Shadar Kai wizard
    a Dragonborn Rogue
    and a hobgoblin Ranger.

The Solo is a level 9 Tiefling vampire lord Paladin.

What are their chances? should I increase the level to a level 20 or 11 solo? Maybe change the class? apologies if this is obvious. I'm still bad at gauging power.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-25 at 06:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Can 6 level 7 characters survive against a leve 9 solo? 4th edition

They will handle it with ease, dailies away!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-25 at 06:21 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    They will handle it with ease, dailies away!
    slightly edited

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe increase the encounter to lvl 10, but keep him like he is, and just give him some troops.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Calculate the solo's hit rate vs the PCs' defences, and vice versa. That'll tell you how much average damage he'll be doing per turn, and how much he'll be taking. That'll give you your answer.

If you don't want to do all that work and just want a guess, then sure, they can handle it. Solos are the weakest monster type in 4e, and you have 6 players rather than the normal 4-5. The PCs will be getting 6 actions to the monster's 1. Unless their hit rate is abnormally low or the the monster's DPR is abnormally high, the solo is toast.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

hmm now in terms of minions What do I want for a vampire lord Paladin......(abberations, undead and demons/devils are available)

also, just to annoy you Gamerkid. it's an evil Paladin who thinks Tiamat is Smexy .
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-25 at 06:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Using the DMG encounter building stuff, that amounts to a Level N+1 encounter (since there are 6 party members, instead of 5), which is perfectly doable. Though it rather depends on the kind of Solo; he does need to have enough attacks to threaten the party.
    Last edited by Theodoric; 2009-12-25 at 06:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    The PCs will be getting 6 actions to the monster's 1. Unless their hit rate is abnormally low or the the monster's DPR is abnormally high, the solo is toast.
    I changed that. the DMG suggest giving Solos two standard actions. also what's DPR?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    hmm now in terms of minions What do I want for a vampire lord Paladin......(abberations, undead and demons/devils are available)

also, just to annoy you Gamerkid. it's an evil Paladin who thinks Tiamat is Smexy .
    ARGH TIAMAT MUST DIE!!!
    Anyway, maybe undead,no wait, divine types can kill those with ease, perhaps devils?

I changed that. the DMG suggest giving Solos two standard actions. also what's DPR?
    Damage per round.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-25 at 06:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Damage Per Round. A slight adaptation of DPS, or Damage per second.

Ninja editted! But mine is nice and bold.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-12-25 at 06:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Damage Per Round. A slight adaptation of DPS, or Damage per second.

Ninja editted! But mine is nice and bold.
    So is mine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ARGH TIAMAT MUST DIE!!!

if it helps, a bigger Dragon B**** than Tiamat is going to die pretty soon.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

if it helps, a bigger Dragon B**** than Tiamat is going to die pretty soon.
    Good!
    Insert text here

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Good!
    Insert text here
    yeah. although Tiamat is going to be the one to kill her.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

yeah. although Tiamat is going to be the one to kill her.
    Well still, I hope the evil dragon whathername dies horribly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well still, I hope the evil dragon whathername dies horribly.
    let's see, she get knocked down to the point where she can no longer move, gets her death drug out by Tiamat because Tiamat wants her to suffer, Waits until she begs for her life, bites into her neck and lets her bleed to death.

that horrible enough for you?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You are singularly unimaginative in your horrible deaths. I could think of half a dozen nastier ways to go, not including ones that I have scavenged directly, before breakfast.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    You are singularly unimaginative in your horrible deaths. I could think of half a dozen nastier ways to go, not including ones that I have scavenged directly, before breakfast.
    yes I know. However if I actually put my mind to it I'm afraid it will go way too far and way past several of my player's and my own comfort zone. I could think of lots of nastier ways to go as well.

plus, a death I think up in ten seconds at 7 AM when I've been up all night is bound to be unimaginative. Also, Sometimes my imagination REALLY sucks.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-25 at 06:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

the title says it all. Could 6 level 7 characters survive against a level 9 solo?
    Yes, without problem, and while defeating several other encounters that day, too.

Remember: for six level-7 characters, a level-7 encounter is supposed to be easy. That's by design, so that you can numerous such encounters per day. With decent builds and strategy (which isn't that hard, honestly) the group can easily handle numerous level-9 encounters per day. The only difference is that the monsters will have 10% better attacks and defenses, and a bit more hit points. Nothing you can't handle.

(edit) yeah, and what Saph said: solos are generally the easiest kind of enemies in 4E (even though that's probably not what the designers intended).
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-12-25 at 07:16 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

thanks everybody.

now it's sleepy time for Kyuubi. (although it should have been sleepy time 3 hours ago. actually more like 7 and a half hours ago. Dang insomnia.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

the title says it all. Could 6 level 7 characters survive against a level 9 solo? the characters in question are
    It depends on how many of them should survive, and the conditions. Fighting a vampire with sunlight available is a lot easier.

Also it is important what kind of powers you choose and how you allow the solo monster to use multiple actions.

Paladin class template + Vampire Lord is a good combination, because it has good synergies (Charisma to damage from Paladin, Charisma based attacks from Vampire Lord). The Tiefling race adds charisma again as a minor encounter power.

Gave him a big paladin sword and his attacks could do a high amount of damage, and it would be easy to kill a single lvl 6-7 character without even using a action point. At least if the monster has options to use multiple attacks per round, for example if you let him use his dominating gaze or blood drain as a minor action.

The templates alone are not sufficient, of course. You will need something that make the monster a true solo.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

let's see, she get knocked down to the point where she can no longer move, gets her death drug out by Tiamat because Tiamat wants her to suffer, Waits until she begs for her life, bites into her neck and lets her bleed to death.

that horrible enough for you?
    Not even close, here is an idea:

Tiamat casts a curse on evil dragon #2754397, it keeps evil dragon alive forever, and regenerates all her wounds, but it also renders her completely paralyzed and unable to do anything, then sics 100 or so ghouls on evil dragon, so evil dragon is eaten alive. Forever.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiamat casts a curse on evil dragon #2754397, it keeps evil dragon alive forever, and regenerates all her wounds, but it also renders her completely paralyzed and unable to do anything, then sics 100 or so ghouls on evil dragon, so evil dragon is eaten alive. Forever.
    This reminds me of the story from Greek Mythology. I can't remember who the victim was, but they did something that Zeus did not approve of. As punishment, he tied them to a rock and every day buzzards would fly and eat out his eyes. They would regenerate through the night and this would reoccur every day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    This reminds me of the story from Greek Mythology. I can't remember who the victim was, but they did something that Zeus did not approve of. As punishment, he tied them to a rock and every day buzzards would fly and eat out his eyes. They would regenerate through the night and this would reoccur every day.
    Prometheus. Although Herakles eventually freed him.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    To think, I just finished a Mythology course about 3 weeks ago. My memory is only slightly better than that of a dead elephant.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I though that was a Roman story. Yeah, same difference, I know.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

okay. That sounds fine and fitting for an evil God to do to somebody she really hates.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

why not make the solo the "boss" and give him a few lower level henchmen?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    why not make the solo the "boss" and give him a few lower level henchmen?
    Because that's HERESY! Whoever heard of a boss with minions? Everybody knows in D&D monsters charge alone at the party whitout strategy and preparations so casters can easily shoot them down! /sarcasm.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

for other people, I'd use some undead minions and the three-skull that raises undead minions. but becareful, clerics OWN undead badly. keep the three-skulls out of LOE at first.